Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Martyn Waghorn

Thought he was actually one of our best players last night? :dunno:

Not saying much, i know, and he did fook all in the second half, but he put in some decent efforts on goal in the first half.

In particular, the Burton keeper pulled off a great stop just before half time when he rattled on in from 25 yards. And yes, it was on target. :ph34r:

Not gievn his first team credentials a very good show last night, but i'd still happily give him a place on the bench. :dry:

He was never worth 3m anyway in fairness but maybe just needs a loan spell in league 1 where he can play regular and score some goals then come back to us full of confidence

On last night's evidence a loan spell in League 2 would be about his standard. The problem I have with Waggy is that I don't think he can change his style of play and will always just blast the ball. The law of averages suggests he will score some, but I don't see him as a natural goal scorer, unfortunately.

I think it's more disappointment Col. Many saw his inaugural season and were impressed (not me I hasten to add), he then returns to considerable fan fare, for a considerable fee at the beginning of what we are promised is a brave new world. 2 years and 5 goals later people feel like they've been sold a lemon. It doesn't hurt so much when you buy a player who you've had reservations about, but when you sign someone who you feel simply has to succeed and then nothing, nada, zip, zilch from them for 2 years it begins to hurt. You blame previous managers, the formation, lack of confidence, injuries, physique because this lad is gold, you know he is, you saw it with your own eyes but one day you sit there and that horrible feeling grows that maybe you were wrong and rather than be angry with yourself you become angry with him, he's done this to you, so much so that you ignore all those other players to whom you have no real affection and focus on the bright new dawn who has failed to rise, a player who in so many ways reflects our stagnation.

Great post Mike...

I would send Waggy and Schlupp both out on loan. It was clear last night that neither are fit or sharp enough to cope at championship level. I think a loan until x-mas would be very good for them and the club. If they are both struggling with form and fitness around x-mas, I think we should consider letting them go permanently then.

We currently have good cover in Nugent, Beckford, Vardy and Futacs (with Hopper and Harry P a possibility if we get one or 2 injuries).

I would send Waggy and Schlupp both out on loan. It was clear last night that neither are fit or sharp enough to cope at championship level. I think a loan until x-mas would be very good for them and the club. If they are both struggling with form and fitness around x-mas, I think we should consider letting them go permanently then.

We currently have good cover in Nugent, Beckford, Vardy and Futacs (with Hopper and Harry P a possibility if we get one or 2 injuries).

It's about having variety in attack though. I would keep Waghorn because he's the only player we have who successfully drops deep to collect the ball and lays it off, helping the midfield and attack link up better. This is an area I think we've suffered with for a while, which has caused most of our attacks to come from out wide.

Pair Waghorn with Vardy/Nugent/Beckford and I'm confident their performances would improve as a result.

It's about having variety in attack though. I would keep Waghorn because he's the only player we have who successfully drops deep to collect the ball and lays it off, helping the midfield and attack link up better. This is an area I think we've suffered with for a while, which has caused most of our attacks to come from out wide.

Pair Waghorn with Vardy/Nugent/Beckford and I'm confident their performances would improve as a result.

Isn't that the job of a playmaker?

Are you suggesting Waghorn is a playmaker lol

Waghorn has the technical ability of a horse, and would be out his depth playing for Anstey Nomads. Come to think of it, Futacs is rather horse like too. I'm sure we had all realised at this point last year that Waghorn was the biggest waste of £3million pound the club ever spent. Last year some daft bloke at hull took him off our hands, this year we'll have to give him away. Matt Mills time here cost us lot less money!

I'd not be disappointed to see him go to be honest .. Only problem is if we Schlupp go on loan and one of Nuge/Becks/Futacs get injured, then it leaves us with 2 striking options 'til they're back from injury.

I don't think he's the worst striker we've ever had, but if I had the chance to ship him out and find a replacement before the window closes then I definitely would!

I'd not be disappointed to see him go to be honest .. Only problem is if we Schlupp go on loan and one of Nuge/Becks/Futacs get injured, then it leaves us with 2 striking options 'til they're back from injury.

I don't think he's the worst striker we've ever had, but if I had the chance to ship him out and find a replacement before the window closes then I definitely would!

Vardy?

We are not short of attacking options at the moment, so Waghorn and Schlupp are not going to get much of a chance, so it makes sense to go out on loan.

I think this scapegoating is pathetic, we didn't lose yesterday because Waghorn didn't score, we lost because as a team we were crap, and when a team plays crap as a team it is very hard for individuals to shine, and Waggy is not a glamorous player like Knocky who will take people on and stand out. Waghorn is a scrappy player, tenacious and enthusiastic, but not the most skilful, whether you think he deserves to be in the team or not, and most people agree we have better options, he is not responsible for us not getting promoted last season or the season before, or only having 3 points from 3 games, and he is only partly responsible for last night. I just don't get the hate, there will always be players better than others at every club, and there will always be players that don't live up to their potential, and disappoint in some games, but some of the reactions here really do make me worried for the sanity of our supporters.

With this thread I think Waghorn wins the 'biggest scapegoat at the club' award.

Hands down...

God knows how the shocking rubbish that was served up last night can lead to one young player being so slated.

Let's have a quick look at Matty James for instance. Is this player going to be as good as many have made out he was going to be. I would suggest that a central midfield of Danns and James would have had the quality last night to run a league 2 side pretty ragged from the centre of the park.

Danns is another... He talks a good game, twitters his apologies for his performance and then takes home a nice fat salary.

Save your apologies son... In fact, stick them up your arse and start coming up with the goods.

I'm utterly sick of hearing excuses.

It's time to stop talking and show us something.

yes, times gone by. Sorry, flash in the pan. Second season is what makes a player. Waggy is a good league 1 player but nothing more.

If only he had a full second season, starting a reasonable number of games in order for people to make a judgement. Although it obviously hasn't stopped you.

He hasn't progressed in two years since he came back.

Sad to see but I don't think he's up to it.

I'm not disagreeing, but the first season he was in and out of the team as Sven didn't like him and his confidence was knocked and he pretty much all of last season due to his loan and injury.

The only decent run he's had since returning was when Sousa was in charge and he played well during that period.

• 2 months later...

Archived