Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stringfelow

How much longer will the owners stick with Pearson

looking at Shef Weds with Dave Jones that is what you call a good run 17 or 18 games under his management unbeaten ,he as installed a good balance in his side without spending a fortune and players on far less money than most of leicesters first team players and just like Reading last season ,what a fantastic run they went on , since MON we have never gone on a run like that not even when Mr Pearson was in charge when we were in league one

Brilliant. lol

Pearson is the type of manager that continually improves teams rather than going for instant success. We should stick with Pearson for the next 3 seasons.

Sorry mate but this what I'm saying..

Say we ended up 15th (for example) this season and next?

Would you then give him the third season?

Although fair play to you, I don't think many have stated how long they would actually give Pearson to get it right. Implicitly yes, but not explicitly.

I've said I would give him until the end of next season, whatever we do this season, because I wouldn't be surprised if it takes that long to really develop this team. Anything else, hand on heart, would be a bonus.

All these sh1te threads are carbon copies of the ones last year

Starting to think one of the main problems is our own fans

in 5 years since 2007 we have had 7 managers and i feel we need to change our ways and start sticking with the manager.

Martin Allen 2007

Garry Megson 2007

Ian Holloway 07-08

Nigel Pearson first stint 08-10

Paulo Sausa 2010

SGE 2010-11

Nigel Pearson 2nd stint 11-?

Both of these posts are spot on.

Sorry mate but this what I'm saying..

Say we ended up 15th (for example) this season and next?

Would you then give him the third season?

Although fair play to you, I don't think many have stated how long they would actually give Pearson to get it right. Implicitly yes, but not explicitly.

I've said I would give him until the end of next season, whatever we do this season, because I wouldn't be surprised if it takes that long to really develop this team. Anything else, hand on heart, would be a bonus.

I don't know if i would give him another season if we finished 15th twice it would depend on circumstances but i would definately not change a manager mid-season unless a crisis occured (and by crisis i mean significant public fall-out between players and staff and serious threat of relegation).

The local club where i grew up (Charlton) stuck with the same manager for years and years, one season they were 15th and then the next they gained promotion. They ended up having a decent spell in the premiership.

Pearson invests in young players and i think we will have players who are here now who could go on to become legends for the club. The likes of King, Marshall, Schmeichel, Drinkwater, Knockaert, Vardy and Moore could all be at the club for another 10 years. I also like the way Pearson cares about the club finances, we arnt going to go bust.

I think we will challenge for promotion this season, but if it dosn't happen we should stick with Pearson until it does.

Sacking managers every time we have a blip will get us nowhere i just cant believe some fans are asking for Pearson's head the reason we have had we little success over the past 10 years is because of constant change. Even if Blackpool hammer us which they might the fans NEED to stick with him because i honestly believe the negativity will rubs off onto the owners.

The more I travel around the world; watch different teams, get to know fans of other clubs in other countries, the more I can't help but feel there is a severe problem with our own fans. You know I once gave classes to a former manager of one of the major European clubs and when I mentioned that I was a Leicester boy he said 'ah, very tough job - very high expectations'.

More and more, especially as I read the tripe on this forum, I feel that this part of our problem. Not THE problem, but part of it. We are, after all, the fans that wanted Little out in 94 before promotion, O'Neill out in 96 before promotion but then wore Ian Hollway masks en masse in 2008 when he was taking us down, and kicked off when Sven broke the bank in forging the most expensive mid-table second tier side in history. The only manager to be successful in ten years is Pearson and now about 50% of the fans want him gone.

Just read that back to yourself for a second and see how insane it is. I can promise you that, on my travels it hasn't gone unnoticed among other football fans from around our fair planet. We like to pretend that all clubs are the same but I can assure you that they aren't. Look at our player and manager turnover; the number of players we turn against; the number of players and managers who feel they've got a point to prove when they come up against us.

Do you think Kermorgant needed a pre-match pep-talk last week? Do you think Gallagher or Beckford or Waghorn will need one when its their turn? But we don't learn. I'm convinced that the fact that Pearson wasn't good enough for half of you from day one is a major part of the reason it hasn't worked out for us so far. Too many people simply don't want it to work out.

If you go to the games then you know. There's no atmosphere. Just a mob waiting for their excuse to turn on their team. It's an embarrassing place to take an outsider; they all say the same thing. "It's an odd set of fans you've got here. Seems like they're just waiting for the chance to slate someone."

NB / I only get to see about one in three or four games these days. And yet, oddly, it doesn't seem important when you argue with the bulk of City fans. It feels like the same set of rows I was having in the pub back in March 96.

The more I travel around the world; watch different teams, get to know fans of other clubs in other countries, the more I can't help but feel there is a severe problem with our own fans. You know I once gave classes to a former manager of one of the major European clubs and when I mentioned that I was a Leicester boy he said 'ah, very tough job - very high expectations'.

More and more, especially as I read the tripe on this forum, I feel that this part of our problem. Not THE problem, but part of it. We are, after all, the fans that wanted Little out in 94 before promotion, O'Neill out in 96 before promotion but then wore Ian Hollway masks en masse in 2008 when he was taking us down, and kicked off when Sven broke the bank in forging the most expensive mid-table second tier side in history. The only manager to be successful in ten years is Pearson and now about 50% of the fans want him gone.

Just read that back to yourself for a second and see how insane it is. I can promise you that, on my travels it hasn't gone unnoticed among other football fans from around our fair planet. We like to pretend that all clubs are the same but I can assure you that they aren't. Look at our player and manager turnover; the number of players we turn against; the number of players and managers who feel they've got a point to prove when they come up against us.

Do you think Kermorgant needed a pre-match pep-talk last week? Do you think Gallagher or Beckford or Waghorn will need one when its their turn? But we don't learn. I'm convinced that the fact that Pearson wasn't good enough for half of you from day one is a major part of the reason it hasn't worked out for us so far. Too many people simply don't want it to work out.

If you go to the games then you know. There's no atmosphere. Just a mob waiting for their excuse to turn on their team. It's an embarrassing place to take an outsider; they all say the same thing. "It's an odd set of fans you've got here. Seems like they're just waiting for the chance to slate someone."

NB / I only get to see about one in three or four games these days. And yet, oddly, it doesn't seem important when you argue with the bulk of City fans. It feels like the same set of rows I was having in the pub back in March 96.

Great post.

Bizarre post.

I thought that a number of continental countries have almost a 'manager rotation policy'.. In Italy, for instance, I think it used to be the case that managers came and went on average between 2-3 years however they did?

Barcelona, pre Guardiola went through several different managers. Real Madrid have always done it, whether their managers have had success or not.

And as for having no atmosphere at the King Power.. Well I've always maintained that the best days were at Filbo St but this is probably because we had our most success there.

Do fans bring atmosphere, or do victories and good play increase fans interest, thus improving atmosphere?

I'm proud to be a season ticket holder at City, get to as many away games as time and money dictate and know that, should we start to do well, the KP will be buzzing.

And how many British higher league clubs haven't got rid of their managers on a frequent basis?

The Champions League winners did it half way through the season. And why? Because they felt they had the wrong man in the wrong job?

You come across, to me anyway, as rather high brow.

Sanity ! I am not alone...

I really hope he gets at least to the end of his contract regardless of where we finish. Our clubs recent history is testament to the fact that the managerial merry go around brings nothing but disaster. People seem to have forgotten that great teams aren't built overnight, and that no matter what your team is doing, other teams are doing good things too and you might not get your way.

Bizarre post.

I thought that a number of continental countries have almost a 'manager rotation policy'.. In Italy, for instance, I think it used to be the case that managers came and went on average between 2-3 years however they did?

Barcelona, pre Guardiola went through several different managers. Real Madrid have always done it.

And as for having no atmosphere at the King Power.. Well I've always maintained that the best days were at Filbo St but this is probably because we had our most success there.

Do fans bring atmosphere, or do victories and good play increase fans interest, thus improving atmosphere?

I'm proud to be a season ticket holder at City, get to as many away games as time and money dictate and know that, should we start to do well, the KP will be buzzing.

And how many British higher league clubs haven't got rid of their managers on a frequent basis?

The Champions League winners did it half way through the season.

:whistle:

Very good point; the perfect counter-argument. At a risk of coming across as a fraud, I have to say the ex-manager I'm referring to was boss of one of the teams you mentioned in your post. My point is that a club like Real, Barca etc. shouldn't be compared to Leicester. And, it should be added, Barcelona abided several seasons of Rijkard winning nothing while he collected many of the players with which Guardiola subsequently enjoyed success.

For a club of our size I think we're unusually impatient. Yes, it's important to demand success, but when a manager has HAD success (and, if we look at the wider picture, Pearson has been successful at Leicester; at least in comparison to Levein, Kelly, Sousa, Holloway, Sven et. al) it's peculiar for fans to be so determined to see him gone after three league games of a season.

It's worth looking at sides like Reading, Norwich (Worthington era), Birmingham (with McLeish), West Brom (with Megson), Sheffield United (Warnock) etc. to see the benefits of just a little patience.

The point is that it's important to know when to be patient and when not to be. It was right to be patient with Little in 94, O'Neill in 96, but it was wrong to be patient with Sven last season. I'd suggest that for now - and only for now (because this situation could VERY easily change in the next month) - it's right to be patient with Pearson.

And my problem is that our fans, more so than other fans in our league, are never patient.

Consider Waghorn for a minute. 22 years old, one outstanding season under his belt, one awful season and a crap cup outing and our fans are already desperate to see him on the dumper. Could we be making a rod for our own back if he moved on? Do you remember when Stef Oakes, aged 23, was considered our great hope for the future? And what about Matty James, just 20 but already written off by half of our fans. Somewhere we seem to have acquired an unusual rashness when it comes to both our playing staff and management team.

For those of us who remember how uninspiring A 27 year old Guppy looked in his first half-season, or a 28 year old Taggart in his first full season, that's very worrying indeed.

Maybe he forgot the 23-game unbeaten run we've been on under Pearson?*

*And before anyone brings up the fact that IT WAS IN LEAGUE ONE!!, the majority of Dave Jones' matches were in League 1 also.

I know you can only beat what's in front of you but all reference t League One results is a smokescreen and has no bearing on our aspirations or our relevent achievements.

Very good point; the perfect counter-argument. At a risk of coming across as a fraud, I have to say the ex-manager I'm referring to was boss of one of the teams you mentioned in your post. My point is that a club like Real, Barca etc. shouldn't be compared to Leicester. And, it should be added, Barcelona abided several seasons of Rijkard winning nothing while he collected many of the players with which Guardiola subsequently enjoyed success.

For a club of our size I think we're unusually impatient. Yes, it's important to demand success, but when a manager has HAD success (and, if we look at the wider picture, Pearson has been successful at Leicester; at least in comparison to Levein, Kelly, Sousa, Holloway, Sven et. al) it's peculiar for fans to be so determined to see him gone after three league games of a season.

It's worth looking at sides like Reading, Norwich (Worthington era), Birmingham (with McLeish), West Brom (with Megson), Sheffield United (Warnock) etc. to see the benefits of just a little patience.

The point is that it's important to know when to be patient and when not to be. It was right to be patient with Little in 94, O'Neill in 96, but it was wrong to be patient with Sven last season. I'd suggest that for now - and only for now (because this situation could VERY easily change in the next month) - it's right to be patient with Pearson.

And my problem is that our fans, more so than other fans in our league, are never patient.

Consider Waghorn for a minute. 22 years old, one outstanding season under his belt, one awful season and a crap cup outing and our fans are already desperate to see him on the dumper. Could we be making a rod for our own back if he moved on? Do you remember when Stef Oakes, aged 23, was considered our great hope for the future? And what about Matty James, just 20 but already written off by half of our fans. Somewhere we seem to have acquired an unusual rashness when it comes to both our playing staff and management team.

For those of us who remember how uninspiring A 27 year old Guppy looked in his first half-season, or a 28 year old Taggart in his first full season, that's very worrying indeed.

Where this point is fundamentally flawed IMO is that I don't think the bulk of people on this forum ( I cannot vouch for the wider population of Leicester supporters) want Pearson out after three games? The bulk of people posting agree with you. There are some exceptions but I bet you if I posted one of my exceptional polls (for further info see Babs lol) I doubt many on here would want to get rid of Pearson.

Some of what you've said I agree with, other bits? Nahhh sorry...

:thumbup:

Where this point is fundamentally flawed IMO is that I don't think the bulk of people on this forum ( I cannot vouch for the wider population of Leicester supporters) want Pearson out after three games? The bulk of people posting agree with you. There are some exceptions but I bet you if I posted one of my exceptional polls (for further info see Babs lol) I doubt many on here would want to get rid of Pearson.

me and many others never wanted the pratt back end of

I think I said 50%, as opposed to 'the bulk'.

As for the poll; I'd hate to see it in the wake of the Burton defeat.

I've read your other posts, I know you're not being irrational or calling for Pearson's head, so don't think I'm getting on at you. And I've been with you all the way about our severe defensive defficiencies; so we're pretty much singing from the same hymn book as regards the team.

Where I'd differ is with the large contingent that seem to think enough is enough already. I tend to think that other clubs would look at Pearson in the context of his past glories, and would compare him favourably with Sven, whereas a lot of our fans - just as with previous managers - have gone the other way.

I'm not putting you in the same boat.

The old adage a manager shouldn't return has never been more clearer imo I cannot think of too many managers that have returned to their previous clubs and been successful.

Tony Pulis with Stoke City, the Premier League side.

The thing that's pissing me off about all of this are the ones who are going "IMO..............interesting times ahead". No there are no interesting times, it's just your opinion, your being a negative twat, who is encouraging other negative pricks, who then feed the trolls, when really there is no ****ing problem at all.

I'm sorry, I've gone a bit Wymsey and had a number of drinks tonight before returning to uni tomorrow, I'm just sick of all this shit.

Archived