Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Random stupid stuff that springs to mind... literally

3 minutes ago, FIF said:

How do 4 letters come to be pronounced so differently in different words?

Tough

plough

through

slough 

though

cough

hiccough

bought

thorough

lough

Did you know there are 13 different ways to pronounce the configuration 'ough' in English?

15 minutes ago, FIF said:

Tough

plough

through

slough 

though

cough

hiccough

bought

thorough

lough

EDIT: I'm out of posts for the day and just read Buce's reply. If anyone reads this can they ask Buce to give me the 3 I haven't included here. I must know them but can't for the life of me think of them. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Buce said:

Did you know there are 13 different ways to pronounce the configuration 'ough' in English?

Fif has edited a reply as he has exceeded his post limit FYI.

2 hours ago, FIF said:

Tough

plough

through

slough 

though

cough

hiccough

bought

thorough

lough

EDIT: I'm out of posts for the day and just read Buce's reply. If anyone reads this can they ask Buce to give me the 3 I haven't included here. I must know them but can't for the life of me think of them. Thanks.

'slough' and 'plough' are the same surely?

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

'slough' and 'plough' are the same surely?

nope

sloo and the sound you make when you stub your toe ow (or however you'd right it)

Well, it is down to the global expansion of the British empire but not in the way you imagine:P

A declaration of war would be issued with an invite to surrender, the English language was made to be so awkward to translate that by the time the enemy state had translated it the British army and navy had done their jobs :whistle:

14 minutes ago, FIF said:

nope

sloo and the sound you make when you stub your toe ow (or however you'd right it)

what's your definition of 'slough' cos I take it as the town on the outskirts of West London near the M25. 

Do you mean 'slew'?

49 minutes ago, StanSP said:

what's your definition of 'slough' cos I take it as the town on the outskirts of West London near the M25. 

Do you mean 'slew'?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/slough

Several meanings - the pronunciation I was meaning concerned a snake shedding it's skin (or a person their coat).

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, FIF said:

Tough

plough

through

slough 

though

cough

hiccough

bought

thorough

lough

Sorry, FIF, I've only just seen this.

http://grammaticarum.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/pronouncing-ough.html

Edited by Buce

On 29 July 2016 at 12:56, Great Boos Up said:

Just a bit of fun; can you get the right door?

You can only ask one question to each of the two men:

Paradox quiz.jpg

Only two years to late, but I'd ask the first man what colour door he was stood in front of. I'd then know who was the truth teller and who was the liar. I'd then ask the other man which door led to salvation and if he was the liar I'd pick the opposite door, if he was the truth teller I'd go through his door. 

• Thanks 1

On 29 July 2016 at 13:31, FIF said:

Bike seats.

My little resort town is inundated with summer cyclists at the moment. It's clear that there is a market out there for extra large, comfortable bike seats. Can't be that hard to make and a worldwide market awaiting. If only I could be bothered.

Innertubes, I'd throw nails, thorns and other such sharp implements around and then set up an inner-tube shop.

11 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Only two years to late, but I'd ask the first man what colour door he was stood in front of. I'd then know who was the truth teller and who was the liar. I'd then ask the other man which door led to salvation and if he was the liar I'd pick the opposite door, if he was the truth teller I'd go through his door. 

Yours works but I now realise it's off the film Labyrinth.

It's one question.

Go to one door and ask yes or no? Would the other person tell me that this door leads to salvation.

Then choose the other door.

Thinking about the American gun law issues this morning and this random thought cropped up:

Would it be a way around the Second Amendment problem if they let them keep their guns but ban the sale, possession and manufacture of ammunition?

On 29/07/2016 at 13:56, Great Boos Up said:

Just a bit of fun; can you get the right door?

You can only ask one question to each of the two men:

Paradox quiz.jpg

23 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

11 hours ago, Great Boos Up said:

Yours works but I now realise it's off the film Labyrinth.

It's one question.

Go to one door and ask yes or no? Would the other person tell me that this door leads to salvation.

Then choose the other door.

Point to one of the doors and tell them both "tell me a lie about what location this door leads to". The one who always tells the truth will decline to answer because he can't reply with lies while the other, because you asked him to lie, will tell you the truth about the door (he's lying about "lying" to you so he will tell you the truth about the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do racists and borderline racists want to spend so much time celebrating St George? His dad was Turkish (or pre-turkish really), his mum Palestinian and he never even visited Britain.

8 hours ago, toddybad said:

Why do racists and borderline racists want to spend so much time celebrating St George? His dad was Turkish (or pre-turkish really), his mum Palestinian and he never even visited Britain.

Could it be that a saint just represents what a certain country stands for?. What i don't understand is these sort of people always banging on about making St Georges day a national holiday. The Victorians never did and they couldnt give a shit about offending anyone. Think i read once that people felt being English ment you didn't need to shout about because you were superior to everyone else anyway.:whistle:

45 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Could it be that a saint just represents what a certain country stands for?. What i don't understand is these sort of people always banging on about making St Georges day a national holiday. The Victorians never did and they couldnt give a shit about offending anyone. Think i read once that people felt being English ment you didn't need to shout about because you were superior to everyone else anyway.:whistle:

Having a boastful fantasist as your national saint isn't much to celebrate unless your name's Tincy.

"I just killed a dragon - huge it was, teeth, claws, firey breath, the lot... fed me for weeks it did, then fed me some more"

Course you did, George.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...