Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interesting news topics.

Why the hell is this story http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/25/london-zoo-monkey-meerkat-llama-keeper-caroline-westlake-kate-sanders news in every paper and on every news channel?

Surely a damning indictment of our media.

Oh ok so that's what you were talking about in the Rachel thread.  Not sure why that's news, where were the journos when they were banging in the Penguin pool?  Damn near got mobbed by the little beggars because they thought they could smell sardines, now that's a news story.

Oh ok so that's what you were talking about in the Rachel thread. Not sure why that's news, where were the journos when they were banging in the Penguin pool? Damn near got mobbed by the little beggars because they thought they could smell sardines, now that's a news story.

I note the guy works with llamas.

Just saying..

Who said romance is dead? Woman politely declines a second date - only for miserly beau to demand a bank transfer for the £4.50 he spent buying her a drink

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3249983/Who-said-romance-dead-Woman-politely-declines-second-date-miserly-beau-demand-bank-transfer-4-50-spent-buying-drink.html

Why not have a random shit thread?

Which reminds me at the food project thingy i volunteer at they have a book section. I got one called 'Is it just me  Or Is Everything Shit?'

Included are Weatherspoons Gordon Brown and Ton Blair. Apparently Blair used the phrase 'Hardworking Families before

Cam-moron

Quote from AOL news, the original source is The Taxpayers' Alliance:

"The Taxpayers Alliance has recommended that the government should cut pensioner benefits - because pensioners might be dead or suffering from memory problems by the time the next election comes around.

Speaking at a fringe meeting at the Conservative Party conference in Manchester, the group's research director Alex Wild said there were two reasons why cuts should be made now.

"The first of which will sound a little bit morbid - some of the people... won't be around to vote against you in the next election. So that's just a practical point, and the other point is they might have forgotten by then," he said.

"If you did it now, chances are that in 2020 someone who has had their winter fuel cut might be thinking, 'Oh I can't remember, was it this government or was it the last one? I'm not quite sure.'"

Liam Fox, former Conservative defence secretary, appeared to agree, suggesting this was a 'great opportunity' as the Labour party was currently not much of a threat.

"We have a broken opposition. We have just won a general election and we need now to take the tough decisions we believe are right," he said.

The winter fuel allowance, free bus passes, free prescriptions and the Christmas bonus could all be targeted.

Unsurprisingly, the news has horrified many.

"Mr Wild's remarks are both politically cynical and personally offensive and there needs to be an apology. It represents some of the most awful ageist nonsense I've heard in a long time," Dot Gibson, general secretary of the National Pensioners Convention tells the Telegraph.

"He doesn't consider the fact that the winter fuel allowance is essential because every year tens of thousands of older people die from the cold. Taking it away would just make this worse – but perhaps that's what he wants."

Right-wing think-tank Policy Exchange claimed earlier this year that only 10% of pensioners are unable to heat their home to a comfortable temperature and really need the £200-£300 annual payment, which currently goes to all people receiving the basic state pension.

However, recent research by LV found that a third of over-65s are living on less than they'd get on the minimum wage - and, of these, more than half say they've had to go without in order to stay within their budget. For these people particularly, pensioners' benefits can make all the difference".

Over to you, Ken/Moose/MattP

quote Parafox

"The Taxpayers Alliance has recommended that the government should cut pensioner benefits - because pensioners might be dead or suffering from memory problems by the time the next election comes around.

end quote

Is there a link to this?

So that is who has been advising Cameron IDS et al Get rid of the infirm mentally ill old and disabled then the path will be clear for us forever.

Has anyone by any chance read the poem which includes the words  (or similar)

'Then they came for the old and sick but I did nothing as I was not old  or sick.'

It is for you.

Edited by Rincewind

quote Parafox

end quote

Is there a link to this?

So that is who has been advising Cameron IDS et al Get rid of the infirm mentally ill old and disabled then the path will be clear for us forever.

Has anyone by any chance read the poem which includes the words  (or similar)

'Then they came for the old and sick but I did nothing as I was not old  or sick.'

It is for you.

I tried to cut/paste the link but couldn't. It was a feature story on AOL homepage yesterday. I'm sure if you google the key words you will find it.

Here you go...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQqQIwAGoVChMI9LGDhumuyAIVxtcUCh1H1As9&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-politics-34439965&usg=AFQjCNExOGOptg7Xf3n-tXxcYv-_O6Zu6w&bvm=bv.104317490,d.d24

Edited by Parafox

The woman who found Hitler's tanks on the Polish border and discovered WWII was about to begin: Fascinating life of pistol-packing journalist dubbed 'Scarlet Pimpernel' for helping 3,000 flee the Nazis 

Fascinating life of famous journalist, originally from Knighton in Leicester.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3262251/The-woman-Hitler-s-tanks-Polish-border-discovered-WWII-begin-Fascinating-life-pistol-packing-journalist-dubbed-Scarlet-Pimpernel-helping-3-000-flee-Nazis.html#ixzz3o5xuPksC