Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ross-Kemp

Charlton post match.

Rather than this nonsense Rich, what did you actually think of last nights performance?

Personally, I've woken up this morning feeling deflated at losing. I also think that Chris Powell has tactically out-classed Pearson twice this season now, which is a little worrying.

Until the management work out a tactic to combat teams playing 4-5-1 every team turning up here will continue to play that way. It floods the centre, we're out numbered and blocks the creative freedom of players like Knockaert. Replacing players like for like rarely works and we never seem willing to change our style to give them something else to think about, that just plays in to their game plan.

Very frustrating, but they need to pull their finger out otherwise we might have more to come.

The problem is that we are totally predictable, I mean totally....... :o

If the opposition are good enough, as Charlton were, they flood midfield, pressure our central midfield and cut down their options. Last night was fairly typical, with Drinkwater and James pressured in deep positions they try and force the pass and give it away, a lot. Marshall and particularly Knockaert seem under pressure to 'do something' so tend to over elaborate, no one gets forward to support the strikers and our game falls apart.

I have been banging on about our formation being the issue since september, when we (are allowed to?) play well it is not that big an issue but when it gets countered by an organised and determined side we are in trouble.

I have given up suggesting that we play something other than 4-4-2, NFP rarely tries anything else and when he does change things it is quite apparent that we have no idea how to play them. Do we not practice them in training?....... :dunno:

You're right, but I went to that game and had convinced myself we lost 3-2!!

I accept it was 2-1.

Haha

Yeah I went too, I live in Charlton now so it's like a 'home' game for me. I still get to Leicester quite a lot of watch City though, but I'm surrounded by Charlton and MIllwall fans down here, so it's been horrific this season!

And our moronic fans are to blame for him not wanting to be here. Sums up our fans really doesn't it, hounding someone out of a club because they missed a penno.

If he'd had the scoring rate of Fryatt or even the battling qualities of Howard he'd have stayed. No question.

The fact is that he was absolutely pony for us and the scoring rate of 1 in 20 games tells you everything you need to know.

The missed penalty was just the icing on a very shitty cake, as I think he'd have been off even if the penalty had gone in.

our form is starting to worry me as our games in hand are against cardiff and blackburn which aren't obviously easy games. But lets get some perspective I'd rather be in our position than Wolves.

At the end of the day if we don't beat them, we don't deserve to be contenders for automatic promotion, simple as that. They're important games that will probably decide where we end up at the end of the season - if we don't win them, then we probably don't deserve to be top two.

Well, that was crap. Back to the bad days of last season which I thought had gone. Lack of movement, poor passing, aimless shots, avoidable errors. One great move got us a goal, and that was it.

The first goal for them was completely avoidable, Drinkwater, with space to move into and time on the ball, inexplicably decided to put himself under pressure, turn back and play it across his own box. He gave it away and they scored. Very poor.

We had some long range shots until our goal, which was a flowing, one touch move and cool finish, but they hit us again with a good volley from a long ball. After that we just seemed to run out of ideas, summed up by the short corner routine between Gallagher and Dyer that led to a goal kick.

So, 9 points from second now, with one home game fewer in the fixture list. It's not completely over but we need a stunning run and to improve our general performance.

There are no excuses after last night. That was our strongest possible team and for an hour they did not perform against an average Charlton side.

I've just posted this over on TB and this is my take on where Nigel Pearson (and our promotion challenge) is at the moment:

My biggest worry after last night is that Pearson still hasn't worked out a way to beat teams who are going to press us hard. We have come up against a number of teams weaker than ourselves who attempt it and a lot of them have come away with something. If that doesn't change then we won't go up. And if we don't go up I suspect that's Pearson out of a job. He is on record as saying promotion is the aim this season. I wouldn't expect failure to achieve that aim to be rewarded with another crack at it.

In his favour he has made us a much better side than the one he found when he rejoined. Earlier this season he had us playing some great attacking stuff which was hardly a signature of his first tenure. That alone proves that he is capable of changing his style. Indeed just after Christmas he made tactical changes for the away games at Hull and Burnley to good effect. Which makes it all the more infuriating that he has chosen not to change a system which has been struggling since the Middlesbrough match. You can't just not change things and hope that things will sort themselves out at this level.

It should be remembered that Pearson has had to significantly reduce the wage bill since he came back here and also that there are average players (Konchesky, Danns, Beckford) who are very well paid, and thus difficult to shift, blowing a hole in his wage budget. He has done well to improve the side under the circumstances. If we go close but fail to go up this year I'd be in favour of giving him another year to further improve us.

That said, it would be hard to be too critical of the owners should they decide that not achieving promotion is a good enough reason to get rid. Particularly when it is likely that managers, such as Adkins and Warnock, who have proven in recent years that they know how to get out of this league will be available.

Pearson is in credit with Leicester fans at the moment. He got us out of the third tier at the first attempt and led us to a creditable fifth placed finish on our return to this level. But anything other than promotion from Division Three would have been a failure and our subsequent success in our first season back up is at the lower end of our historical norm. That is where we find ourselves currently and, as much as I am enjoying this season, it has taken a lot of money (much spent by Pearson himself) to get us there.

He led us to fifth on a shoestring three years ago and we are looking at similar this season after a large spend. It might just be that Pearson has hit his natural ceiling as a manager. There's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of others have one. Simon Grayson seems to have found his following three promotions from Divison Three and Neil Warnock struggles away from the top end of this league. Pearson is capable of being more than just a good second tier manager but he does need to be more adaptable to circumstance. If he doesn't learn that soon he will be leaving the club for the last time in the summer.

I think people seem forget the mess that Pearson had to clean up, and he certainly hasn't hit his managerial ceiling! Out lack of depth means we can't rotate as well as other sides at the top can! Which means when we get stuck in this little blip phase, it takes one or two games to snap out of it!

And it isn't particularly Pearsons fault, despite having money our finances would have been hideous when Pearson took over, I imagine they look much better now!

As for the recent results It proves we are a side that thrive on confidence, and when that confidence is low we really do under perform! For instance giving away simple passes, not passing on runners, lack of movement & creativity and this seems to effect the entire team. Bringing in one or two positive characters to lift the place might help, but negativity from the crowd certainly doesn't.

Just take a look at how our results have panned out so far this season, it's been sporadic as has every other teams in the top six, the second spot this season will go to the team who hits form again at the right time! Not over just yet!

I think people seem forget the mess that Pearson had to clean up, and he certainly hasn't hit his managerial ceiling! Out lack of depth means we can't rotate as well as other sides at the top can! Which means when we get stuck in this little blip phase, it takes one or two games to snap out of it!

And it isn't particularly Pearsons fault

I disagree.

The truth is that at the end of the day, we won't be winning any football matches when conceding 2 or more goals in a match. To me, this is the main issue and you only have to look at where our goals have been conceded to realise the common denominator...

Vs Peterborough - First goal: Ball in behind KONCHESKY, error by KEANE

Second goal: Ball in behind KONCHESKY, no runner from midfield tracking McCann and KEANE not covering Konchesky well enough.

Vs Huddersfield - First goal: Free kick, MORGAN foul.

Second goal: Courtesy of the most pathetic defending I have ever seen in my life... KONCHESKY

Vs Charlton - First goal: DRINKWATER losing the ball in the corner, Kermorgant finishes in an area where KEANE or KONCHESKY should have been picking him up.

Second goal: KONCHESKY loses aerial battle, KEANE turned/not tight enough.

How often does Konchesky and Keane's names have to pop up? They are simply not good enough and need replacing immediately if we are serious about promotion. We can't keep conceding 2 goals and then look to win football matches, it won't happen with these two in the back line. Keane does not feel comfortable with Konchesky next to him and this has affected Keane's performances, Pearson, save the lad before he gets ruined, just like Marshall has been.

The truth is that at the end of the day, we won't be winning any football matches when conceding 2 or more goals in a match. To me, this is the main issue and you only have to look at where our goals have been conceded to realise the common denominator...

Second goal: Ball in behind KONCHESKY, no runner from midfield tracking McCann and KEANE not covering Konchesky well enough.

Second goal: Courtesy of the most pathetic defending I have ever seen in my life... KONCHESKY

Vs Charlton - First goal: DRINKWATER losing the ball in the corner, Kermorgant finishes in an area where KEANE or KONCHESKY should have been picking him up.

How often does Konchesky and Keane's names have to pop up? They are simply not good enough and need replacing immediately if we are serious about promotion. We can't keep conceding 2 goals and then look to win football matches, it won't happen with these two in the back line. Keane does not feel comfortable with Konchesky next to him and this has affected Keane's performances, Pearson, save the lad before he gets ruined, just like Marshall has been.

I think Keane is fine. A bit naive perhaps but he's young. It wouldn't be so much of an issue if he was surrounded by three very good defenders from whom he could learn and take confidence. Unfortunately only Morgan falls into that category. Konchesky is a liability and has been since about halfway through last season. And De Laet, as much as I like him as a player, isn't much of a defender.

Our defensive record is still one of the best in the division though. And defenders will make mistakes which will tend to me more costly than those made in other positions. Our defenders aren't helped by a midfield which doesn't protect it terribly well.

I understand your point and for me we'd have Schlupp playing left back right now ... His attacking pace and energy with Lloyd's would be a lovely change to this monotonous rubbish we are currently playing.

However ..... They are defenders - they will always be the ones that are at fault for goals ..... It's like saying look who's scoring - Wood and Nugent .... or look who's getting the most crosses in - Marshall and Knocky ...... it's what they are there for!!!

On paper we are better than them, but just because their league position ain't anything to shout about, it doesn't mean they are going to be crap against us.

Despite them being low down the table, they were physical in the air, Kermorgant dominated and we couldn't handle him, their midfield was more in the game, and when that happens we tend to lose, they didn't really dominate our midfield, but Matty James in particular was average and went missing for long periods of the game. We made stupid errors which they capitalised on, and the quality from out wide from our point of view was very poor, Knockaert is one of our main sources, and when he doesn't play well, we usually struggle, and Marshall despite some good crossing, was also average again.

Doesn't matter what league position Charlton are in, the likes of Peterborough turned up at Cardiff and Hull and won.

Current formis what counts a match this weekat Barnsley is probablly as hard as it gets we got beat at Millwall and Peterborough hammered them so how is it such a big surprise when we lose there

Right, Just got back home from the game yesterday after travelling up from right down south.

It was my first game this season and clearly not a great one to pick! lol.

Personally I think we wernt really good enough to break them down. We huffed and puffed by lacked any real guile, creativity or movement to cause them any real problems. However when we got the lucky break and equalised(great finish Woody) I thought we should go on and win it now they have to come out a bit from sitting deep. Unfortunatly they score a goal out of nothing(couldnt see it well from C1) but looked a wonder goal. So this gave them something to hold onto again and make it as difficult.

We could EASILY have won the game had we not given them a stupid lead/given them the lead again but Ive said this for a long time that we are not a team thats very good at coming from behind! When we take the lead, we have the players to maul a team down but then things are tough and we dont score first we cant see to turn it around to win a game.

A game thats 0-0 or 0-1 down. We need to win games like this 1-0/2-1 and knick 1-1's at WORST. We never look like doing this and personally this is why I feel we wont make automatic.

Poisitives were, the atmosphere(especially from the KOP) seemed good and very loud at times. Whilst I aint sure how to compare as it was my first game of the season it seemed Charlton fans knew it by the "its all gone quiet over there" chant after they scored(from half time to when they scored I felt we really pushed the team on).

The other results havnt done us a favour what so ever though, and with Brighton winning, We could quite easily not even make the playoffs if we arnt careful!

Improvement needed, although I felt the boo's and a few people around me saying "well thats it Pearson goodbye" etc are utterly discraceful.

Complete lack of aggression and desire. So lacklustre, and just pathetic. The only 5 minutes when our tempo was anywhere near good enough was after two of their tackles went flying in, and from there I thought it might turn into a good game. Then they slowed the game right back down and we never regained any rhythm. Thought Marshall looked our brightest spark in the first half, Gallagher was decent when he came on, Morgan and De Laet were okay, and apart from that it was ridiculous.

Wood never won a thing in the air, and his control was abysmal. Kasper couldn't deal with any crosses, and his flimsy punches WILL cost us; his one brilliant save came from a chance he created. Keane was dominated by Kemorgant, who was better than either of our strikers, and Knockaert was truly woeful. Although the Drinkwater pass was awful, De Laet could have helped him out a little.

Charlton were a well-organised side set out to do what they did, and we need to beat teams like that. We had our best team out, and gave a shocking performance. Atmosphere was dead as well. Automatics look a long way away right now.

I think Keane is fine. A bit naive perhaps but he's young. It wouldn't be so much of an issue if he was surrounded by three very good defenders from whom he could learn and take confidence. Unfortunately only Morgan falls into that category. Konchesky is a liability and has been since about halfway through last season. And De Laet, as much as I like him as a player, isn't much of a defender.

Our defensive record is still one of the best in the division though. And defenders will make mistakes which will tend to me more costly than those made in other positions. Our defenders aren't helped by a midfield which doesn't protect it terribly well.

I too like Keane but he is prone to the odd mistake and as you have said is young. I really wouldn't say Moore has been any worse at CB this season when he's played there, similar age and all but yet Keane is the loanee. His inexperience is a major worry and I feel that should St.Ledger be at full fitness then he should come back in.

In terms of De Laet, I disagree, I think that he has been very good defensively this season, you only have to look at how many goals we have conceded down that side this season, 2 I think, including last night (mostly down to Drinkwater). And when you compare him to Peltier last season, it really is a luxury to have De Laet.

I understand your point and for me we'd have Schlupp playing left back right now ... His attacking pace and energy with Lloyd's would be a lovely change to this monotonous rubbish we are currently playing.

However ..... They are defenders - they will always be the ones that are at fault for goals ..... It's like saying look who's scoring - Wood and Nugent .... or look who's getting the most crosses in - Marshall and Knocky ...... it's what they are there for!!!

Agreed, but there is a recurring pattern as to the source of where our conceded goals are coming from. How many mistakes do you see De Laet or Morgan making? Not many when compared to Konchesky and Keane and currently, that left side is worrying me, gone are the days we were keeping clean sheets with ease.

Archived