Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

The Cliché's are out

'We've not given up', 'We've got nine cup finals'....

Leicester City have not given up on automatic promotion, but are prepared to reach the Premier League the hard way, midfieldericon1.png Danny Drinkwater has said.

City head to Pride Park today to face Derby in the day's late kick-off looking to close the gap on the top two. which has grown to nine points.

Drinkwater said City must return to winning ways to close that gap, but, if they can't, they will be ready for the play-offs.

"I'd love automatic promotion, but if we can't we'll do it the hard way and get promotion from the play-offs," he said.

"We do desperately need to get out of this stage where we're losing and drawing games – we need to get back to winning.

"It's going to be a tough game – it'll have been two away games on the bounce at probably two of the tougher places to go football-wise ."

City should have grabbed all three points at league leaders Cardiff City on Tuesday, but were pegged back by a late equaliser, however

Drinkwater said their performanceicon1.png proved City should be competing for the top two spots.

"We knew we could compete with Cardiff, we should be up there ourselves," he said.

"We put up a good fighticon1.png and should have come away with the three points.

"That's football isn't it? It's Championshipicon1.png football, it's crazy."

Drinkwater is one of three City playersicon1.png who have started every league game this season, the others are goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel and captain Wes Morgan.

He admitted it had been a demanding campaign, both physically and mentally, but he has thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

"It's just about looking after your body and being professional," he said.

"I'm sure Kasper and Wes would tell you the same things. It's about eating and drinking the right things and having rest when you need it.

"This season has flown by, it's gone so fast. I've enjoyed every minute, I know there have been highs and lows, but I've enjoyed it

Sean St Ledger has described today's East Midlands derby against Derby County as the first of nine cup finals Leicester City will face between now and the end of the season.

City, who have won one of their last eight league games, face a Rams side who have failed to pick up a victory in the same number of games

St Ledger said only a victory will do for City as they look to get their promotion challenge on track.

St Ledger, who returned after over five months out of action with a hamstring injury in Tuesday night's 1-1 draw at Cardiff, said he is returning to action at an exciting time.

"As a player, we will feel the atmosphere of a local derby but at this time of the season we have nine cup finals to go," he said.

It doesn't matter who we are playing, we have to pick up the three points.

"It is a crucial period. Everyone was distraught not to get the win on Tuesday after the way we played, we would have taken a point before the game at Cardiff. We deserved more the way we played. We created some good chances and hit the post. They didn't create too much.

"Bolton and Nottingham Forest are on good runs, so we are obviously looking over our shoulders.

"But we want to look at the clubs above us. We still have to play Watford and Crystal Palace. In that sense, it is better to be playing those teams because you can take points off them.

"Even if you are five or six points off whoever, in just one game you can be only two or three points behind.

"This squad is capable of going on another run."

St Ledger admits he is always wary of sides that haven't won for several games, but believes if City can reproduce the performance they

produced at Cardiff they will claim the derby spoils today.

"I never really like playing teams who haven't won in a while," he said. "There is always like a voodoo or something about it.

"But our record there has not been bad.

"I think we can take heart from our performance on Tuesday and, if we take our chances, we will win."

Pipe down lads, heads down, focus, doing the talking on the pitch, prove us wrong, I don't wanna hear the delusions (As far as getting Automatic places are concerned) and soundbites.

Make us believe you and have faith with a good performance and win today, don't just talk about it.

This is why I don't understand people's clamour for Pearson to be more free & easy to Stringer.

Despite Pearson talking freely & easily to Sky/ESPN/BBC/East Mids Today/Mercury and seemingly anyone who isn't called Stringer. Who wants to hear more of this sort of stuff???

Oh & RL, try Jason Bourne more

Everybody in football from experienced people like Sven to lads who just fell out of the academy just talk bullshit like this.

At the end of the day

We'll be working on that in training

We should have done better there

We'll take things one game at a time

It's all part & parcel

Etc & etc

Who cares.

Would you prefer it if they refused to speak to the press? Or is there some way of trading in an answer to a question for a goal or two in a game? I fail to see the connection between meeting media obligations and performances on the pitch.

Exactly. Just responding to questions. So what if people use cliches.

What with the acute accent and the apostrophe, I just found myself looking at all that shit in the air above the title's text and couldn't concentrate on the article itself.

The meme was my flippant way of pointing that out.

Sorry for the threadjack...

(BTW - at the end of day, we'll be sick as parrots if we can't give 110% when we cross the white line ;) )

I used to play cliches with a couple of friends during my playing career. Basically we would shout out cliches to inspire the team during the match. My personal favourite and one I often heard players shouting (usually defenders who liked to hoof) was after their team had taken the lead and in all seriousness they would bellow 'its still nil nil'.

So lads, Where is the not giving up attitude? The 'nine cup finals'?

Looks more like roll over and dying. lol

:clap: Well Done for talking a good game though.

But as always go out there in the second half a prove me wrong, make me eat my words, I bet you don't!

Archived