Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Who would Pearson sign - 2013/14

There are a number of players at this level, or even below us that would improve our squad a lot.

To begin with you obviously have to look at what we lack.

I think all season, and for the last few the central midfield area has caused us problems. We have no defensive minded player, or an attacking minded player, meaning a 3 man midfield is out of the question.

A couple of options to improve that would be...

Liam Bridcutt - A good reader of the game, likes to sit in front of the back 4, and is not afraid to put a foot it. Also a very very good footballer for the mould of player he is.

Lee Tomlin - Always very impressive, carries the peterborough side, 12 goals this season, and just as many assists, a very classy player.

Oddly for a pearson side our wide players have been fairly ineffective this season, dyer, marshall and knocky have all struggled at times, we all know dyer has a woeful end product, marshall has been terrible, and despite knocky's skills he has rarely actually assisted a goal this season, in fact i think marshall has more assists. So we could really do with an addition out wide...

Bakary Sako - With it looking likely that Wolves may go down, there is no way this guy would want to play in the level below, in fact he could probably play at the level above. Just like tomlin, he is into double figures for the season, despite being injured over the past month. He has everything, pace, power, strength, and a final product, would definetly add something to any squad at this level.

Yanick Bolasie - With Zaha leaving, without promotion this season i could possibly see palace beginning a decline. A newly promoted side may want to take a punt on murray, whilst others may look at the young lad williams. This guy has actually had a more impressive season than Zaha, given the fact he has over double the amount of assists which zaha has.

With the strike force, many in this league, including cardiff and hull, would be delighted with a trio of wood, nugent and schlupp. However, another forward could certainly add something to the side, given the rawness of young jeff, and the inconsistency which has been with nuge throughout his career. There are a few options available...

Sam Baldock - A player who is still young, and since his move to west ham has seemed to come off the boil a bit. But he is a striker whose game is based upon playing on the last line of defence, something which is not a natural style of nuge, wood or schlupp. He could definely add something to the squad, and would be available on the cheap given the huge amount of debt bristol city are going to have to pay.

The defence, despite having a great record this season can also be improved. Extending keane's loan for another 12 months would be great, but there is other options we could pursue....

Alex Pearce - out of contract with reading at the end of the season. Was a regular during their promotion season, and was actually a center half who could score from corners.

Aron Creswell - A young left back who has been really impressive this season. Unlike konchesky he actually has a great left foot, and offers more than a 3 yard pass or a chipped ball forward.

Obviously we will not bring in a lot of players, but if we did we would have to get rid of some. The likes of danns, gallagher, wellens, beckford waghorn, vardy, whitbread, marshall and st ledger who do not even play should be the first players on the list to get rid. Then the likes of konchesky, who is not getting any younger and is a high earner could also be replaced.

I think the most important aspect of us bringing in players this season, should be to consider those who would actually allow us to play different styles. If bringing in the players above we could play a lot of different ways.

a)

.......................Kasper

De Laet...Morgan.......Pearce....Creswell

Knocky....James.........Bridcutt...Sako

................Wood.........Nuge

b)

...................Kasper

de laet..Morgan....pearce...creswell

............james........bridcutt

sako.............knocky..........bolasie

....................wood

c)

......................kasper

........Keane...Morgan...Pearce

de laet.....................................Creswell

..............James.........Bridcutt

.......................Tomlin

..............Wood..........Nuge

With a squad like this next season...

kasper

logan

de laet

morgan

keane

pearce

creswell

james

drinky

king

bridcutt

tomlin

sako

dyer

knocky

bolasie

nuge

schlupp

wood

baldock

I think we would not only have a much much lower wage budget, but would be in a far better position to compete for a top 2 finish.

Agree with Liam Bridcutt, although, we aren't lacking in the centre of the park this kid was brilliant against us. For only 21 or so he was a cut above the rest in that game, very composed on the ball and as you say very rarely gave the ball away. As for Jelle Vossen, all I know about him is that he is decent on football manager...

Jelle Vossen is a beast, he got made captain for Genk this season because they are trying to make him stay but he's been saying for the past 6 months that he wants a move to England to prove himself in the best league in the world (Premiership). If we get promotion he would be available for around £3 million which isn't bad for an international who's scored 2 in 11, is only 24 and has already scored over 80 goals in the top division in Belgium. Plenty of good players have made the transition from Belgium to England (Kompany, Lukaku and loads more), the fact we have De Laet as well would help him settle in.

Liam Bridcutt would cost an absolute fortune but honestly think he is worth it, he will be a star in the Premiership in the future. Gus Poyet reckons he could play for Real Madrid which although clearly an exaggeration tells you how good he is. If Brighton don't go up they will be hard pushed to keep him as he's destined for the Prem. The options from having James, King, Bridcutt and Drinkwater would be immense.

Centre Back - Alex Pearce & Miguel Vitor

Left Back - Aaron Cresswell or Adam Smith

Central Midfielder - Nathaniel Chalobah or Stephen Gleeson

Attacking Midfielder - George Boyd or Johnnie Jackson

Strikers - Simeon Jackson or Johnny Russell

Alex Pearce ahead of a player who is 1st choice for his country?

You been on the pop?

There is no way on earth we will be able to afford some of the names mentioned in this thread, should we go up.

The best players in the league will only come here if we spend a lot on them, and give them a decent wage. I bet you we'd end up paying Sako £20k a week, is that seriously going to happen with FFP?

I personally think that Hull and Cardiff are both better than the Southampton and Reading sides which went up.

Cardiff have a deeper squad than southampton and reading had, and also have the quality of whittingham, bellamy, Gunnarsson, Turner, hudson etc.

With Hull they probably also have a deeper squad, but they also have the surprise factor of playing with a 3-5-2, a formation only they and wigan use.

Yeah and Wigan have been flirting with relegation and getting hammered all season playing 3-5-2. They've got better players than Hull too.

I honestly think all three promoted teams will go straight back down, short of huge investment.

Cardiff are ill-equipped, Hull are definitely ill-equipped and I don't see anybody in the play-offs capable of making the step up.

I honestly think all three promoted teams will go straight back down, short of huge investment.

Cardiff are ill-equipped, Hull are definitely ill-equipped and I don't see anybody in the play-offs capable of making the step up.

I agree entirely.

I think Hull (if they go up) are one of the worst teams in recent years, to gain promotion.

This shows the generally very average standard of the Championship this year.

The sad reality is that good intelligent players are a sad distant memory of times past. I cannot remember a time when the standard of play was so poor. Unfortunately the abilities such as ball control, balance, technique and savvy have been replaced with brute force, speed, fitness and how well one can run around plastic cones.

Therefore Pearson has to really scrape the barrel and it is a great task. I really don't think that there are many genuine decent players out there. You may as get the football manager computer crowd on here advising players who perform well in cyberspace but the brutal truth is that most players are shit.

It all depends on the outcome at the bottom of the table, I'd love it if we could get a few players from one or more of the relegated teams, as they're likely to be forced to cut their own wage bill.

Goalkeepers: Westwood, Jason Steele, Luke Steele

Defenders: Martin Olsson, Scott Wiseman, Scott Sutter ( :P)

Midfielders: Bakary Sako, Kelvin Etuhu

Forwards (only if Wood or Nugent would leave, so not so likely): Kevin Doyle (?), Jordan Rhodes (well, one can still dream; would be on silly wages), Steve Davies or Sam Baldock, Marlon Harewood

It all depends on the outcome at the bottom of the table, I'd love it if we could get a few players from one or more of the relegated teams, as they're likely to be forced to cut their own wage bill.

Forwards (only if Wood or Nugent would leave, so not so likely): Kevin Doyle (?), Jordan Rhodes (well, one can still dream; would be on silly wages), Steve Davies or Sam Baldock, Marlon Harewood

Will be interesting to see how the relegated clubs deal with it. They get a year's exemption from FFP so can see QPR trying the throw money at it technique again.

Kelvin Etuhu and Marlon Harewood, you joking right?

I would like the squad to look something like this next season, if we stay in the Championship

Goalkeepers - Schmeichel(hopefully), Logan

Right Back - De Laet, Moore

Centre Back - Morgan, Pearce, Baptiste, St Ledger(hopefully)

Left Back - Konchesky, A.Smith

Central Midfielders - James, Drinkwater, King, Chalobah

Wingers - Knockaert, Dyer, Marshall

Attacking Midfield - Boyd or J.Jackson

Strikers - Nugent, Wood, Schlupp, S.Jackson

Hopefully some youngsters will be included as well, like Taft, Cain, Dodoo, Panayiotou, Blyth and Larrauri

Kelvin Etuhu and Marlon Harewood, you joking right?

Why? I think Etuhu has improved quite a bit since his loan spell with us five years ago and Harewood, despite his age, was a massive threat when Barnsley beat us 2-0.

It's either an experienced striker or an experienced midfielder that we desperately need.

Why? I think Etuhu has improved quite a bit since his loan spell with us five years ago and Harewood, despite his age, was a massive threat when Barnsley beat us 2-0.

It's either an experienced striker or an experienced midfielder that we desperately need.

They aren't the answers, especially Harewood you really have to be joking with that.

Plus Harewood was on the bench when we played Barnsley, and didn't come on ;)

Archived