Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

56 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Says there are no decent old areas, goes on to highlight the St.Martin's / Cathedral area as really nice? They've not popped up overnight.

Not overnight, but they have been changes / improvements made over the recent years haven't they? 

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

If those examples create your mindset for choosing whether to take your phone out of your pocket in a particular place, I wouldn't even bother taking it to somewhere like London or Manchester.

I probably wouldn't take my phone out in parts of Manchester and London either no. 

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I happily walk around the city centre with my phone out, playing Pokemon Go & talking on loudspeaker. Absolutely no worries of it being snatched. Biggest weirdo on this forum that Rob, consistently reassuring us of his oddness.

Going around the City playing pokermon Go, and talking on your loudspeaker. 

I avoid your sort even more than I do the phone snatchers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Says there are no decent old areas, goes on to highlight the St.Martin's / Cathedral area as really nice? They've not popped up overnight.

Tbf, the area has been regenerated, at great cost.

It's not long since that it looked Medieval, and not a quaint historic way.

1 hour ago, Rob1742 said:

Going around the City playing pokermon Go, and talking on your loudspeaker. 

I avoid your sort even more than I do the phone snatchers. 

You're like the ultimate David Mitchell sketch lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Tbf, the area has been regenerated, at great cost.

It's not long since that it looked Medieval, and not a quaint historic way.

I wouldn't really say St Martin's has been regenerated as such, it's just that more units are taken. I've always found it to be quite a pleasant area regardless.

It's better now than it was when I was a kid.

Particularly because the renovation of the Shires and our car park find. And I still enjoy New Walk.

I've seen a fair few cities decline with time. At least we haven't done that.

Could be better though!

On 2017-5-19 at 12:23, Samilktray said:

I happily walk around the city centre with my phone out, playing Pokemon Go & talking on loudspeaker. Absolutely no worries of it being snatched. Biggest weirdo on this forum that Rob, consistently reassuring us of his oddness.

Agree. Being mugged is the least of my worries when I go back to Leicester.the fear mongering by certsin people is bizarre. 

Only problem I have is the city could be a bit cleaner. Nottingham look a lot more clean and efficient.

What's the plan for the new area round the back of the market? Would make a lovely little piazza type area if they wanted to go that way.

Think we should be pushing sport a lot more in the city centre considering the success of the city.

6 minutes ago, Simi said:

What's the plan for the new area round the back of the market? Would make a lovely little piazza type area if they wanted to go that way.

Think we should be pushing sport a lot more in the city centre considering the success of the city.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/new-public-square-where-indoor-market-stood-is-nearly-complete/story-30310457-detail/story.html

Leicester 'landmark' closed after cracks were found.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-40056571

Not one of my favourite landmarks, right in the middle of a normally hectic and congested road and also it's in very odd position to be situated in (especially with the ugly green business school behind it).

• Like 1

Leicester never really recovered, from the time they discovered bricks and Mortar.

The Germans did try to help us remodel by dropping a few bombs.

but Leicester, became the place where the worst architect, were allowed to experiment, and 

Failed would be road planners were given another chance.The city and county councils have failed for 80yrs+.

Since I was a child there were some great even beautiful plans to have the city has a pedestrian Town. Promising rebuilds for Humberstonegate around to London Road.

we lost many a good counciller, because of the permanent cheapscate decisions.

One of many cities that went into backward developement.and failing to see future society

developent and needs. Funds actually thrown away, by not commiting....

Even now we are slow on selling our History, battle, govt connections.

Nottingham kept their trams, they used their parks their councils in the 60s and 70s through to now kept their visions in focus.Leicester never thought of their parks, only as possible short term future building plots.....School playlands stolen for building plots....

The best permanent covered market in Europe  destroyed devasted and totally ruined, by lack of vision on local fruit, and once world famous dairy  produce, plus small retailer support.

Major traders destroyed, throughout England in preference to Plastic.

French, German, Spanish, Italian  townships sense of society and local marketing use, would of made it their pride and joy and major meeting place,

eating local faire, instead of somectrumped up plastic health dish.

Fresh fish, from various ports around England, clothes localally produced, for the older and younger modes of fashion.

Years ago a young Leicester girl could pickout their clothes quality without batting an eye.Without a thought, the normal folk lads n lasses wore quality on their Thurs/Friday/Saturday night gladrags dance nightclub, or just pubcrawl nights.

Restaurants full from quality mixed dress, formal or casual, but without baseball cap neighbours, or Telephone lost in spacecfreeks.

God how can a girl court a guy who sits for a romatic dinner in a baseball cap, and plays with his own toy all night....texting his mate.

Sorry rant over just had the docs doing their round....I had to let it out somewhere..

You can now resume normal service...Leicester is a Dump, but its my/our dump