Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cincinnati Fox

Sky sources- Lloyd Dyer

Cannot say a bad word about Lloyd top professional for City :thumbup: , always give his best despite his lack in quality but one thing I have noticed is that he seems to get better with age, I would keep him definitely, however we do need competition in that area so signing a younger pacey left winger could help Dyer in producing better form.

Ridiculous comment, pace is the hardest thing to defend against

The best players play football with their brain... Pace and tricks doesn't beat the best defenders... Lucio, Cannavaro and Nesta (three of the greatest defenders in my life) were never fast defenders, but they were intelligent defenders.

Just because Dyer has pace, it doesn't mean he can beat every defender. More often than not, he doesn't.

Footballers of Dyer's attitude are a near-extinct breed, we should enjoy the presence of a loyal, long-serving player who loves the Club and gives us everything he has for what could be the last time.

Great squad player to have but should never be a first team regular if we are aiming for promotion, if used in the right way i.e coming off the bench in the last 30minutes then he would be worth keeping as his pace alone is devastating but for him to stick around he will have to warrant a few starts.

So, can you name any other wide players who can match him for pace, directness and work rate at this level? The latter attribute is not to be underestimated.

It's not, but in this case it's just not enough. We need quality and work rate to get promoted.

Over the years I've seen better wingers like Nathan Dyer, Wayne Routledge, Scott Sinclair, Jimmy Kebe, Garath McCleary, Will Buckley, Matt Phillips, Ricardo Vaz Te etc who have all been better players at this level.

It's irrelevant if they play at a higher level now because they only play there because they helped their team to promotion or impressed at this level. These players I mention have all played for smaller clubs so it annoys me we cannot pick up players of a similar quality to replace Dyer who is poor more often than not.

If what you're saying is true (it's not) then we obviously never play against any decent defenders. Cos once Lloyd starts running you can see a team just disintegrate right in front of you. Ipswich at home this year is the best example I can think of. Dyer ran from the half way line to the penalty area quicker than their defender or goalkeeper could run about 10 yards and won us a penalty after about 5 minutes. The rest of the game their whole team, not just defence, had no idea what to do with themselves. We won 6-0, Dyer got 3 or 4 assists and a goal himself. This happens a few times a season, he wins games by himself just by being so fúcking fast. I'm a defender and there is no fúcking way I could catch him. 

Even, as already said, on an off day he'll track back. It does frustrate me when he ends up in the centre circle sometimes but anyone with half a brain cell can realise that usually comes at about the hour mark when it's clear no human could possibly continue running at such high intensity much longer and he is absolutely done in. He's still the best winger we have in this squad imo (discounting Knocky cos most don't think out wide is his natural position). 

We're not necessarily talking about when he's knackered though. He's frustrating because he doesn't have the guts to beat his man more often than not - not at the hour mark, in the first half.

What you're saying is true, he is unstoppable when he's on form, Ipswich is a good example, but that only happens once in a blue moon. In a lot of games he'll barely attempt to beat his man once, this is not because he's knackered, probably more to do with him lacking belief in his own pace or just being thick. And as we often say, his skill on the ball is woefully bad at times.

Him being the best winger in the squad is exactly the problem. We've stuck with him instead of trying to get somebody better, he has no competition, that's why he's lasted so long. Marshall is a right winger, Knocky isn't a winger, and despite being an obvious left winger Schlupp is played at left back or striker. We haven't got anyone else. So yeh, he probably is the best winger in the squad, because we haven't tried anyone else.

I'm not saying get rid of him, I'm saying lets give him some actual competition for the left wing position. Let's be ambitious and not accept mediocrity in our starting 11, because we won't get promoted with that attitude.

as much as dyer loves leicester if there are parties interested then maybe he will ask to leave 

the thing about players who rely mainly on pace is that that pace rapidly goes as they get older and dyer is getting old lol 

he may veiw it that he may have one more big packet in him before he starts the drop of the leagues and may wish to take it . 

personally i just think we are a bit mismatched with pearsons 4-4-2   

got dyer on the left who has no end product and wastes a lot of chances and knoccy on the right who has quality but no pace 

have to agree with the guy that says push knoccy into a cam/cf role  and bring in 2 new wingers 

We would have to be stupid to let Lloyd go.

We are supposed to be improving our squad, not making it weaker.

If we got a decent fee for Dyer, we could without a doubt improve our side. I think there's a very lot who have a lot of time for him due to his loyalty to us (me included) but if we were to get a million for example (not impossible given the clubs linked) you would seriously think we could re-invest that more effectively.

I'd miss him but we really can do better.

Ridiculous comment, pace is the hardest thing to defend against

If a defender is intelligent enough to position himself well, then pace is defendable. If you've got someone with both pace and real skill (Dyer doesn't have) then yes I agree you're in trouble. Pace alone won't get you too far.

He's the fastest man in the world.

Keep him.

It's not fifa.

I will admit he is a dangerous player to have, when he actually does something with his pace. I can only think of one game with this season where Dyer has been outstanding and that's Ipswich. He is very inconsistent, and although I'd keep him as a squad player, who do need a better/more complete winger if we want strengthen for promotion. Pace as one attribute doesn't make you a good player.

If what you're saying is true (it's not) then we obviously never play against any decent defenders. Cos once Lloyd starts running you can see a team just disintegrate right in front of you. Ipswich at home this year is the best example I can think of. Dyer ran from the half way line to the penalty area quicker than their defender or goalkeeper could run about 10 yards and won us a penalty after about 5 minutes. The rest of the game their whole team, not just defence, had no idea what to do with themselves. We won 6-0, Dyer got 3 or 4 assists and a goal himself. This happens a few times a season, he wins games by himself just by being so fúcking fast. I'm a defender and there is no fúcking way I could catch him. 

Even, as already said, on an off day he'll track back. It does frustrate me when he ends up in the centre circle sometimes but anyone with half a brain cell can realise that usually comes at about the hour mark when it's clear no human could possibly continue running at such high intensity much longer and he is absolutely done in. He's still the best winger we have in this squad imo (discounting Knocky cos most don't think out wide is his natural position). 

But no disrespect, you're not a professional footballer. You won't have the same footballing brain that would be required of right backs in this league. I totally agree that on his day, he is excellent and he's deadly, but I think for him to absolutely tear you to shreds to the extent he did Ipswich, the defender has had to have had a mare. Pace is an asset but it really isn't the be all and end all.

If a defender is intelligent enough to position himself well, then pace is defendable. If you've got someone with both pace and real skill (Dyer doesn't have) then yes I agree you're in trouble. Pace alone won't get you too far.

If he just had some basic technique and used a bit of brain power now and again he'd be so much better. Look at the Ipswich highlights, he's not doing a lot, he's just had the confidence to knock it past players and sprint into the space, and to get his head up at the end. Though, against better teams he'll have less space, that's when you need a bit of skill.

Pace is a very valuable asset in English football, more so than in other European countries. It just such a shame that Dyer lacks some of the other basics.

If he just had some basic technique and used a bit of brain power now and again he'd be so much better. Look at the Ipswich highlights, he's not doing a lot, he's just had the confidence to knock it past players and sprint into the space, and to get his head up at the end. Though, against better teams he'll have less space, that's when you need a bit of skill.

Pace is a very valuable asset in English football, more so than in other European countries. It just such a shame that Dyer lacks some of the other basics.

Ipswich were an absolute joke that day, make no mistake.

If teams close Dyer down and position themselves badly, make no mistake, they will be beaten and beaten well. But do people really think sides like Ipswich are going to come back here next year and set up the same way? Any right back who stands off him will not be beaten by him, he lacks the brain and genuine skill to win a battle with that type.

I'm not trying to totally play Dyer down as like I've stated elsewhere, I do have a lot of time for the bloke, he's one of the ones over the past few years where we've almost become notorious for having bad attitudes who couldn't give a shit about the club, that he's stood out as genuinely giving a shit.

I'd certainly miss Dyer but he's one of our most limited players.

Ipswich were an absolute joke that day, make no mistake.

If teams close Dyer down and position themselves badly, make no mistake, they will be beaten and beaten well. But do people really think sides like Ipswich are going to come back here next year and set up the same way? Any right back who stands off him will not be beaten by him, he lacks the brain and genuine skill to win a battle with that type.

I'm not trying to totally play Dyer down as like I've stated elsewhere, I do have a lot of time for the bloke, he's one of the ones over the past few years where we've almost become notorious for having bad attitudes who couldn't give a shit about the club, that he's stood out as genuinely giving a shit.

I'd certainly miss Dyer but he's one of our most limited players.

Yeh I don't disagree at all.

As much as I like him, it's hard to see us near the automatic promotion places with him in the side.

Archived