Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Ritchie De Laet

Best attacking full back in the league.

Best all-round full back, maybe not. Definitely up there though.

Not surprised at all that he's excelling in this 3-5-2/5-3-2 formation. Means he can focus on what he does best, going forward. We just need someone to match him on the left, which is probably what Zoom has been brought in for.

He is definitely one of our best players. I remember being really impressed with him during the home game against Cardiff, last season and he's been consistently good since then.

He tends to get left exposed by Knockaert, though which may explain why he has (up to now) been underrated by our fans.

I really like him but he irrates me in the final third, he gets into very good positions with the ball but does not always look up or place the ball in the right area during a cross and as a result we lose possession. I think he would be prem class if he crossed the ball a bit better or even had a pop at goal a few more times, other than Naughton I would say he is the best right back we have had for 6-8 years... thats my opinion anyway

Not his biggest fan, but he was good last season, but defensively he was very suspect at times.

But playing in a 3-5-2, ever since that formation came to the fore, I have believed he could be a real key player this season.

And I will stick by my words, that formation suits him down to the ground.

Not that good defensively, as I've always said, even today's goal came down his side. However, going forward he is very good; quick and decent in the air. Probably wouldn't find much better for this level.

Not his biggest fan, but he was good last season, but defensively he was very suspect at times.

But playing in a 3-5-2, ever since that formation came to the fore, I have believed he could be a real key player this season.

And I will stick by my words, that formation suits him down to the ground.

I agree completely.

Today is one of positives. Good.

But don't get carried away. Last season we saw RDL out of position, leading to goals conceded down that side on a few occasions.

I think he's better going forward than as a defender. But let's have it right. In RDL, Pearson has made another good signing. Without a doubt for me.

Alway's really liked him. Offers a big attacking threat with his pace and direct play, which most full backs these days need to be able to do. As Kingfox says, 3-5-2 will suit him down to the ground with a bit more cover on the inside of him defensively. Bit like Anya from Watford I suppose in the same position

De Laet is definitely one of our better players and one of the most useful full backs in the division. Those who criticise his defensive abilities only look at the obvious - the gaps he leaves going forward, the occasional brain freeze etc. However he more than makes up for this with his pace to recover situations where "conventional" full backs would struggle to do so. He still needs to work on his defending in one on one situations but that's improving all the time.

Many of his qualities are ideal for the wing back role too, probably needs to work a bit more on his crossing but if we stick with this formation, he'll cause no end of problems on that flank with the comfort of an extra defender's cover when he goes forward.

The way people talk about his defending you'd think he was useless. Yes he is out of position sometimes, yes he might cock up now and again... But so does every defender in the league.

He doesn't do it that much, if he did we wouldn't have had one of the best defences last year. Not forgetting people slate pretty much every defender except for Morgan.

The way people talk about his defending you'd think he was useless. Yes he is out of position sometimes, yes he might cock up now and again... But so does every defender in the league.

He doesn't do it that much, if he did we wouldn't have had one of the best defences last year. Not forgetting people slate pretty much every defender except for Morgan.

I've never understood the criticisms of his defending. 90% of goals came from Konchesky's flank last season yet DeLaet is the poor defender!

Played well again today but no better than he does in a 442

Archived