Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Birmingham Post Match Thread 3-2

Just come home, now sat chilling with some ready to eat sausages. 

Up until Vardy's goal that was one of the most frustrating games I have ever sat through. We had no urgency going, we was passing it around well in midfield, but when push comes to shove we couldn't do anything with it. Then all of a sudden after Vardy's goal we woke up, and got playing as a team.

First half we kept on trying, but all the balls coming into the box were getting cleared by Burn, who defended the air so well today. Wood and Nugent were shocking first half, Drinkwater had a poor game, as did De Laet who was the weak link.

On a positive note, even before Vardy's goal. I thought Schlupp was absolutely excellent, today proved why you need pace at left-back he was excellent going forward, and defensively he wasn't too bad either, thought Matty James looked back to his good old self. Winning balls in midfield, and passing well, while Vardy has improved so much, his tenacity off the ball is second to none, he was making great runs all afternoon, and deserved his goal, which was in all fairness a great finish. Oh and today proved, that Lloyd Dyer can still bring something to the team.

There's still room for improvement, and some areas need addressing, but we are unbeaten and second in the league, and you can't go wrong with that.

I agree with most of this Kingfox, but I wouldn't say we lacked urgency for 75 minutes. There were periods when we dropped off but we did show willingness to go forward and put pressure on for much of the game. It was mainly a lack of quality that let us down before the goals I thought, though Nugent, for a striker, spent a frighteningly small amount of time in the box, especially when we had it in decent positions.

That caller was ridiculous though

I don't understand some fans. what do they want a Man Utd team? I don't go down but I could tell they were on top for most of the game.

They are second. just be pleased with that until the next game.

Yeah, got to feel for Donny. Replay should really start on 51 mins with Donny given the 1-3 lead they had when it was called off.

Funny what happens with no Sky Sports/Roy Keane intimidatory factor, isn't it?

Nobody would pay to watch 39 minutes of a football match. Even if tickets were free to people who went to today's game, Doncaster would lose all of their support, potentially impacting the result. The rules weren't written with £30 tickets in mind, unfortunately.

Also, team availability and conditions can vary wildly with a change of date, so as unfair as it seems on Doncaster, it'd be even more unfair to simply resume the match on the new date.

F**k me what a game poor first half improved when we went to 4-4-2 with Dyer offering pace, NP tactically almost f**ked it up we should of played 4-4-2 from the start! 

We didn't play as well as we can which bodes well for the future, I have to say what has happened to Wood? looks so lethargic.

Birmingham fan perspective here:

Obviously disappointed. To have 53% possession in the first half, to be leading for 75 mins, missing two or three sitters to extend our lead before the Leicester equaliser. All smarts.

Then when you factor in that a phantom penalty has been the difference between the sides, and the ref has buckled under screeching abuse from the terraces. It's a hard pill to swallow.

I thought for a bunch of players deemed not good enough by Oldham and Oxford they committed themselves well against one of the most expensively assembled teams not just in this division, but in all the divisions.

Hey ho, it's going to be a long season, but when we get bought out by the super billionaires we'll start to rebuild and start again.

Wish Leicester all the best, with some more millions injected in January, and some more juicey ref decisions, who would bet against them going up automatic

God bless and KRO!

It's one thing being bitter after the game but that was a stonewall penalty! 

Funny what happens with no Sky Sports/Roy Keane intimidatory factor, isn't it?

Nobody would pay to watch 39 minutes of a football match. Even if tickets were free to people who went to today's game, Doncaster would lose all of their support, potentially impacting the result. The rules weren't written with £30 tickets in mind, unfortunately.

Also, team availability and conditions can vary wildly with a change of date, so as unfair as it seems on Doncaster, it'd be even more unfair to simply resume the match on the new date.

I doubt doncasters support ever impacts their result.  Tickets should remain valid and the remainder of the match should be replayed.

Gotta say I was getting frustrated!

We played well today, not amazing but good, we had loads of chances in the first half and it got abit silly really, got very frustrating.

2nd half we came out the blocks fast, putting alot of pressure on Birmingham, then we sat back a little and it got annoying and frustrating again, but then Vardy popped up with a great goal, then King, then Nugent, I did feel we needed the 3rd, always felt Birmingham were going to get a 2nd.

Vardy is slowly but surely proving me wrong and I'm very happy to admit it, I actually quite like him at the moment, he is playing very well and adding something to the team, something that annoyed me last year, but 2 goals won't completely impress me or prove me wrong, but he can't do alot more can he really?! Just keep persisting and keep the good work up!

Well done Vardy. He's going up in my estimations, game by game, just keep it up! As for Wood, he needs to pull his finger out.

See? I do give credit where credit is due, I am more than happy to be proved wrong, I don't want players to fail so I can moan about them, but if they are playing poorly and 'failing' I will note it and moan about it, fair enough isn't it? As I do when they play well and do good for the team - As I am doing with Vardy!

Now...Drinkwater....Can we please not play him? He doesn't add anything imo, yes he had that good game against Boro' (Apparently), but once in a blue moon isn't good enough.

He just needed to keep the ball down in the first half but shot straight over the bar.

Played well, I'm very happy, let's enjoy the win and then keep grounded and look towards the next game!

Enjoy we are joint top, but let's not take anything for it as such, we're only 4 games in.

Oh and as for the ref, he was a complete tool and people know my opinions about people blaming refs. (Although if we had lost/drew, I would not blame him per se for losing/drawing), anyway, we won! Enjoy it.

Obviously disappointed. To have 53% possession in the first half, to be leading for 75 mins, missing two or three sitters to extend our lead before the Leicester equaliser. All smarts.

Then when you factor in that a phantom penalty has been the difference between the sides, and the ref has buckled under screeching abuse from the terraces. It's a hard pill to swallow.

I thought for a bunch of players deemed not good enough by Oldham and Oxford they committed themselves well against one of the most expensively assembled teams not just in this division, but in all the divisions.

Hey ho, it's going to be a long season, but when we get bought out by the super billionaires we'll start to rebuild and start again.

Wish Leicester all the best, with some more millions injected in January, and some more juicey ref decisions, who would bet against them going up automatic

God bless and KRO!

Yeah weve spent loads this summer all those millions lol.

As for the pen. Def a stone wall penalty. Diving in with two feet. Unlike the dodgy one you had last year to get the draw.

I feel for the blues. Crap manager who just might take them down.

As for us today. Not the best performance against a poor side but still 3 points and still undefeated.

God bless and KRO!

Weve barely spent anything this season, and had two blatent penaltys turned away before he gave the third, which was more blatent than the first two.

Wish you all the best for the rest of the season, but if you think you were hard done by today your living in a dream world.

I agree with most of this Kingfox, but I wouldn't say we lacked urgency for 75 minutes. There were periods when we dropped off but we did show willingness to go forward and put pressure on for much of the game. It was mainly a lack of quality that let us down before the goals I thought, though Nugent, for a striker, spent a frighteningly small amount of time in the box, especially when we had it in decent positions.

It was all too nicey nice, with little end product in the final third. James and King tried to do things as did the strikers, but we couldn't make anything from it, Brum had like 9 men behind the ball, and it was frustrating. We struggled to unlock, and to me we lacked any urgency/creativity because of it. But after Vardy's goal we suddenly burst into life, and everyone came together as a team, and the passing and urgency was first class, hence why we ended up scoring 3 goals. 

But first half there was very little, with most of our shots, ending up in the stands.

God bless and KRO!

It must be very disappointing to be in front for so long and then lose it, but I don't think you can feel hard done to by the result today. We battered you for a lot of it and you withstood a lot of pressure.

Sure our quality was lacking at times but we were all over you compared to your 3 attacks all game.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant or rub it in, but I thought you were quite poor and it would have been a bit of a travesty had we not won.

It was all too nicey nice, with little end product in the final third. James and King tried to do things as did the strikers, but we couldn't make anything from it, Brum had like 9 men behind the ball, and it was frustrating. We struggled to unlock, and to me we lacked any urgency/creativity because of it. But after Vardy's goal we suddenly burst into life, and everyone came together as a team, and the passing and urgency was first class, hence why we ended up scoring 3 goals.

But first half there was very little, with most of our shots, ending up in the stands.

I'm certainly agreeing with you about Drinkwater at present KF. When we signed him, I thought we'd got ourselves a real tidy midfielder. But James is actually much much better.

Well that was much better. Thoroughly enjoyable throughout.

First half was just one of those things, at no stage did I feel we would lose, we got through Birmingham with ease, those 'lopsided diamonds' from the coaching thread were obvious throughout and all in all we retained possession and probed.

Slightly bemused by some comments that we were 'rubbish' first half. Credit to Vardy for his tireless running, some 'interesting' passes from him but he was nicely energetic. Wood bless him is bereft of any confidence or ability whilst Nugent appears to be sobering up.

The original midfield trio were very good and I think Drinkwater could be slightly disappointed with being replaced (if it wasn't down to an injury). Moore was slightly shakey and that transferred to RDL who had what I consider his worst game in a City shirt.

Archived