Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Platini in sensible football suggestion shocker!

However, if a player picks up a certain number of yellow cards spread over several matches they will be suspended for future games, and it is this aspect that most concerns Platini.

He believes a sin-bin would be a fairer punishment because "that way, the benefit goes to the team he is playing against, in the same match, instead of a sanction by cards which is carried out against a third team, the next on the calendar".

This is the most salient part and I have to say it does make sense. How it would work in priniple, I'm not sure.

This should be done but with the card retained for covering minor infringments.

I also think any time wasting should be punished by the ref signalling that additional time, maybe a minute will be added and no yellow card.

The idea of cup winners being in the champions league in theory should be what happens, but could you imagine Wigan playing in the Champions league?

You'd assume Wigan wouldn't have as much chance of winning the cup, as bigger teams would take it more seriously if there were a Champions League place up for grabs.

I'd be for it if they sorted yellow cards out. The fact the rule book states that a player who dives gets the same as a player who 'over-celebrates' is absolute lunacy. Definitely think it'd encourage fairer play though, so yep, one of his better suggestions although not perfect.

I prefer the other idea in the same article about cup winners playing in the 'Champions' League. That'd sort the dwindling FA Cup out no end IMO.

They need to sort out consistency and when yellow cards should be sanctioned first, in my opinion. There are examples each week where a player gets booked, yet an opposition player will do something along the same lines and get away with it. Plenty of examples during our match at Charlton earlier in the season. Taking your shirt of in excitement of a goal is the same as cheating to win a penalty? Nah.

Hmm, I'm not convinced.

10 minutes on the sidelines for taking your shirt off to celebrate? Or saying a few words to the ref?

How could that be avoided? I know don't take your shirt off to celebrate and don't mouth off at the ref, I'm moe concerned about a mis-timed tackle being interpreted as deliberate and players being sin binned by mistake. The quality of referring is so poor at our level that they can very easily ruin games.

This is the most salient part and I have to say it does make sense. How it would work in priniple, I'm not sure.

Was just about to quote the exact same bit, although he did go on to say Keepers shouldn't be sent off if they give away a penalty, stating that the penalty is punishment enough. Does that apply to outfield players? What if the penalty is conceded for a violent tackle? Just seems an odd thing to say.

Was just about to quote the exact same bit, although he did go on to say Keepers shouldn't be sent off if they give away a penalty, stating that the penalty is punishment enough. Does that apply to outfield players? What if the penalty is conceded for a violent tackle? Just seems an odd thing to say.

Sometimes a keeper doesn't even get booked for giving away a penalty. There was one a couple of weeks ago, was it Sunderland?, where a keeper brought down a player, but it was a 50/50 ball, the keeper had to go for it, but there was obviously a huge risk of taking out the striker in doing so. The penalty was awarded by the ref, but very sensibly and decently, no further punishment was given to the keeper, even though other people might have sent him off (and technically the rules of the game would have allowed for this).

So I guess my problem would be with refs using a bit of common sense (rare.)

They need to sort out consistency and when yellow cards should be sanctioned first, in my opinion. There are examples each week where a player gets booked, yet an opposition player will do something along the same lines and get away with it. Plenty of examples during our match at Charlton earlier in the season. Taking your shirt of in excitement of a goal is the same as cheating to win a penalty? Nah.

Fair point, but it does eliminate the need for consistency across the board. If you get a strict ref you are more likely to get a ban for yellow cards later on, than a team who has a run of lenient refs.

The problem is yellow cards seem to be very much up to the discretion of the ref, we often get commentators saying that he is booked for persistant fouling, but there is no actual number that constitutes persistent fouling, if the penalty for yellow cards becomes more severe and effect results then we need to give the ref clear and easy to follow rules and ones that players understand. You could have it as 4 fouls in a game is a yellow, obviously dangerous tackles are a red, I would have all professional/cynical fouls to get an advantage is a yellow and a sin bin, same as time wasting, diving, deliberate handball and swearing at the ref. Red cards are only for dangerous or violent play.

What I'm not sure about is does 2 yellows = a red or 2 x 10 minutes in the sin bin, or first sin bin 10 minutes, second sin bin in a match 15 minutes.

Regarding the not sending off keepers part, wouldn't you just end up with teams using their keeper to take out players who are almost certain to score knowing they've then at least got a chance at saving the ensuing penalty?

Would there be a leniency given to refs to decide what was accidental and what was gamesmanship?

Would there be a potential danger of even more players trying to con another to get them into the sin-bin?

I notice in that article there is talk about punishing dissent as in rugby but refs can book or send players off for foul and abusive language anyway - just it rarely happens.

The moving a ball 10 yards further forward as an example was supposed to stop it and that failed.

So are we saying that football could learn a bit from rugby union?  :ph34r:

lol

Could learn everything from it couldn't they?

Respect for officials

Timekeeping done fairly by someone independent letting referees concentrate on the game

Making sure big decisions are correct by actually reviewing them

The national team being the pinnacle of the sport

TV money going towards developing home grown young talent

And thats before getting onto standing, beer in the stands and supporters being encouraged to mingle instead of being penned in like wild animals in a zoo.

Sadly I'm resigned to the fact now football will always be 50 years behind every other sport.

As an aside I'd like to see refs carry that temporary spray paint they have/had in the MLS to mark where free kicks should be taken. They should also wear Batman style utility belts to carry it in.

Originated in Brazil in I think, certainly were using it there 6-7 years ago.

Another great idea, we seem to be immune to them though.

Archived