Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Leonardo Ulloa (Brighton) - Bid accepted

His record speaks for itself

He's one of a few options/targets - personally don't think he's first chose but he is definitely on 'the list'

Who's first choice? 😀 Any other names you are aware of on that list?

paying anything over 4.5 million could not be justified for a player who is an unknown quality in the premiership, look what we did when we bought akinbiyi, lower league player and couldn't reproduce the good's in the premier league! however if we are going to pay between 4-6million for a striker I would rather look at Mccormack from leeds.

I just get the feeling that most of the comments on here are from people who haven't really got much idea what premiership quality strikers would cost, or how you can evaluate the potential of any player. What I can say is that if Stevie Walsh spotted Drogba, Essien and Lewandoski before anyone else knew what quality they actually were, I would not risk claiming any of his 'finds' were crap. Extremely likely that anyone who might risk that could get very embarrassed in time. 

Can't believe Nige would spend £7m on one player, any player! - not his style

It's not. But he hasn't been in the top flight and if he is to stay and we are to progress he will have to spend big in the end.

Starting to like the sound of this, wasn't keen at first. But as someone as said, Brighton aren't exactly adventurous, if you have Vardy, Mahrez and Knockaert supporting him then he'll be a totally different player.

Not convinced by this, but will trust the management and scouting team. There are probably similar standard players around for better value, not that I know who they are.

Offers something different to nugent and vardy, could see the end of wood though.

I just get the feeling that most of the comments on here are from people who haven't really got much idea what premiership quality strikers would cost, or how you can evaluate the potential of any player. What I can say is that if Stevie Walsh spotted Drogba, Essien and Lewandoski before anyone else knew what quality they actually were, I would not risk claiming any of his 'finds' were crap. Extremely likely that anyone who might risk that could get very embarrassed in time. 

Drogba & Essien being unknown qualities?

Drogba won the French Player of the year in 2004 before Chelsea signed him for £24 million

Essien won the French Player of the year in 2005 before Chelsea signed him over £24 million

hardly unknown in the footballing world, but talent of scout is spotting players that is right to improve the team/squad and I think Steve Walsh and management team have done a pretty good job so far with our current playing squad and sure they will improve it over the summer.

Considering Hull bought long and jevanvic or however u spell it for what 5.5M each who are proven premier league goal scorers, i wouldn't want to invest in someone who has hardly set the championship alight for anywhere around that price, regardless of how tall he is and how different he is, fair enough if he was 20 years old but 27 probably wont improve that much. In Nigel and his team we trust though

Can't believe Nige would spend £7m on one player, any player! - not his style

Why do people keep going on about NP's style.

Where has he ever had the sort of money he has at the moment (possibly )

He's never had it here before and he never had it at Dull so he could only spend / purchase within the budget he had.

If top has given him 30/40mil why would he not spend 7mill on a player.

We are going to need some proven quality and need any purchase to hit the ground running.

He can't buy another Vardy and give him next season as a warm up like he did with Vardy.

Anyone think £4m plus Wood could happen? Wouldnt want Wood to leave but if they are dead set on spending that sort of money on this bloke, he'll be ahead of Wood in the pecking order.

Must say I havent seen this guy play at all so no idea if the money spoken of is realistic or not. What I do know is that his goal record is decent and from what i've read, he has a physicality about him that we perhaps lack up front.

I like Ulloa. But shouldn't we be able to utilise Wood as a big strong forward with great finishing abilities? Wood is much younger too. Probably the only player in the squad who I feel didn't progress much last season.

Edit: does Wood have a better scoring record in the Championship too?

I would prefer Jordan Rhodes, he is the only player out of those top championship scorers who would consistently hit over 20 goals, the transition from league 1 to the championship wasn't an issue and I don't think it would be to the PL either, again this season he's hit 25 and how many people have been talking about him over McCormack, Ings and Vokes?

He's a clever player in terms of his positioning, and would suite us I think.

Relative to our squad, Ulloa is quite injury prone. Not to say we can't sort him out properly this summer, but the fact that we had very few injuries was one of the reasons we did so well this season. Next season, more than ever we need our players to be firing on all cylinders. 

As for Ulloa as a player, he is good. He's clinical in a Brighton side who might well be one of the most boring and least creative in the league. We desperately need to improve our ariel threat this season, so I can see why Nigel's put a bid in for him. 

I do think this was an unsettling bid - He joined Brighton with largely Spanish influence - If Chris Hughton gets the job there, the likelihood is that influence will decrease. The prospect of Premiership football and a better salary may well be enough for him to consider putting in a transfer request. Worthwhile signing IMO. 

I would prefer Jordan Rhodes, he is the only player out of those top championship scorers who would consistently hit over 20 goals, the transition from league 1 to the championship wasn't an issue and I don't think it would be to the PL either, again this season he's hit 25 and how many people have been talking about him over McCormack, Ings and Vokes?

He's a clever player in terms of his positioning, and would suite us I think.

Problem with him that the Blackburn fans admit, is... wait for it... he only scores goals. His general input other than that is very limited so the team has to carry for for large chunks where he isn't involved.

Ulloa has a good record, but he doesn't come with questions:

A) Does he suit our style?

B) He won't have Vardy buzzing around him because we're likely to play one up front.

C) After watching his highlights video, I'd be wanting a bit more than that for £7M.

Problem with him that the Blackburn fans admit, is... wait for it... he only scores goals. His general input other than that is very limited so the team has to carry for for large chunks where he isn't involved.

That certainly doesn't tie in with our style of play, hence why Wood has suffered this season.

You've got to press from all over the pitch and Rhodes would be a problem with that. Charlie Austin however would be perfect, let's hope those bastards don't go up as QPR will have to cash in and it'd be nice to piss Dyche off as well and snaffle him.

That's all we need. We have others that can do the rest.

We don't expect our centre backs to score or assist, if they do it's an added bonus.

If we had someone like Rhodes or similar to Yakubu who only did was "score goals" and that stopped then you have a right to moan.

Having a striker that can score around 15 goals a season is priceless. Look at Bony at Swansea, without his goals I'm they would've been in a very close relegation battle.

Only seen him in the two play off games against Derby, and the Forest game.  On that basis I didn't see what Pearson obviously see's in him. He did not look anything more than an average championship centre forward in those games.  Frankly I am abit worried about this one. Forget the money for a minute, the player himself just looks like a very very big gamble to take. This could make or break our season. :sweating: 

Archived