Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Championship 2014/15

Can see why there are barely any English managers in the top flight anymore when sides go for some foreign failure instead of English.

Foreign failure?

In his first year Hyppia managed to take Leverkusen to 3rd place in the Bundesliga only one place behind a Dortmund team who reached the Champions League final and being the only team to beat Bayern Munich in the league all season. He also got Leverkusen through the Europa League group stages and with them finishing 3rd they qualified for the Champions League. Bearing in mind that's his first ever season in management and he was 38 that's a very good debut season. 

In his second season, Leverkusen lost Carvajal, Schurrle and Kadlec so Hyppia was trying to compete in the Champions League with, arguably, a poorer squad than the squad he qualified with. Up until the 23rd week of the Bundesliga season they were ahead of Dortmund as well as having qualified to the knockout round of the Champions League ahead of Shakthar Donetsk. 

His sacking came about when Leverkusen were 5th in the league, only out of the CL qualification on GD so that could have been classed as harsh, although with the form they were in it was probably a fair sacking.  

To say that Hyppia is a 'foreign failure' after one management job at the age of forty and after only managing one of the top teams in Germany is harsh, and very naive. 

Foreign failure?

In his first year Hyppia managed to take Leverkusen to 3rd place in the Bundesliga only one place behind a Dortmund team who reached the Champions League final and being the only team to beat Bayern Munich in the league all season. He also got Leverkusen through the Europa League group stages and with them finishing 3rd they qualified for the Champions League. Bearing in mind that's his first ever season in management and he was 38 that's a very good debut season.

In his second season, Leverkusen lost Carvajal, Schurrle and Kadlec so Hyppia was trying to compete in the Champions League with, arguably, a poorer squad than the squad he qualified with. Up until the 23rd week of the Bundesliga season they were ahead of Dortmund as well as having qualified to the knockout round of the Champions League ahead of Shakthar Donetsk.

His sacking came about when Leverkusen were 5th in the league, only out of the CL qualification on GD so that could have been classed as harsh, although with the form they were in it was probably a fair sacking.

To say that Hyppia is a 'foreign failure' after one management job at the age of forty and after only managing one of the top teams in Germany is harsh, and very naive.

I never said Hyppia is a foreign failure, learn to read you moron. Sorry I dont wank myself into a frenzy over German football though. Who's saying he won't be another Sven with no clue about championship football. Malky Mackay, Houghton, etc are available yet people would rather have some complete unknown from a foreign team like Pepe fvcking Mel or Solksjaer instead who just get the club into an even bigger mess.

I never said Hyppia is a foreign failure, learn to read you moron. Sorry I dont wank myself into a frenzy over German football though. Who's saying he won't be another Sven with no clue about championship football. Malky Mackay, Houghton, etc are available yet people would rather have some complete unknown from a foreign team like Pepe fvcking Mel or Solksjaer instead who just get the club into an even bigger mess.

Can see why there are barely any English managers in the top flight anymore when sides go for some foreign failure instead of English.

Your previous comment would suggest you were referring to Hyppia as thats what the thread was talking about. I can only assume you meant the likes of Pepe Mel. Bit harsh calling Narborough Fox a moron. Perhaps you need to be a bit more specific.

Your previous comment would suggest you were referring to Hyppia as thats what the thread was talking about. I can only assume you meant the likes of Pepe Mel. Bit harsh calling Narborough Fox a moron. Perhaps you need to be a bit more specific.

Yes I did mean the likes of Mel, Solksjaer, Di canio etc who come and are no better.

i guess teams should stick with the likes of holloway, hughton etc who all did terrific jobs in looking like keeping their teams up as opposed to mel or riga at charlton etc. 

wait, what? it works both ways? really? wow. 

So has Iain Dowie. You wouldn't want him managing your club though would you.

Dowie did it ten years ago, McLeish was only five and also won the League Cup with Birmingham.

He's not the best appointment out there but I don't think he's the total disaster some portray him as.

Dowie did it ten years ago, McLeish was only five and also won the League Cup with Birmingham.

He's not the best appointment out there but I don't think he's the total disaster some portray him as.

2 relegations, 1 awful spell at Villa and a terrible few weeks at Forest.

Would you not call that a bit of a disaster?

Yeah agree I just looked at his short Forest record, only won one out of seven. He's an overrated manager, a lot of Blues fans were glad to see the back of him despite winning them the league cup, most complained about the style of football they played.

That's impressive if McLeish was only 5! He always seemed older.

Forest wasn't great, Villa have done nothing either side of McLeish and at Birmingham he had a real mixed bag, two relegations, but also an immediate promotion, a 9th placed finish and a League Cup win.

I doubt Brighton will go for him but I'd say he's average rather than disaster.

Nottingham Forest rubbish rumours Stuart Pearce is ready to walk away

By Nottingham Post  |  Posted: June 06, 2014

6184222-large.jpg

John McGovern has refuted the claims that Stuart Pearce is ready to walk as "absolute rubbish"

NOTTINGHAM Forest have rubbished rumours Stuart Pearce is ready to walk away from the job before he has even officially started.

The internet has been awash with talk the incoming manager was considering abandoning the role before his official start date on July 1.

But Reds ambassador John McGovern has emphatically refuted the suggestion there had been any disagreement between Pearce and club owner Fawaz Al Hasawi over budgets or anything else.

And he blasted those who had spread the rumours.

"As far as I am concerned it is absolute rubbish," McGovern told the Post.

"Why do people want to make up these things?

"It is safe to say that Stuart will be starting work on July 1, as we all expected.

"People amaze me. These things are just made up by people looking for a moment in the spotlight.

"But they will not put their names to it, because they are not quite sure.

"Bandits wear masks because they don't want their identities to be known. These people are the same. They are bandits. That is all I want to say about it."

Pearce is understood to have spent at least two days at the club this week making his preparations for the new campaign.

While assistants Steve Wigley and Brian Eastick have been more frequent visitors to the training ground, playing an integral role in putting together the pre-season schedule, ahead of Pearce officially taking on the job.

"The chairman is out in Kuwait at the minute, but things are moving forwards as we prepare for the new season," added McGovern.

Forest have found their finances in the spotlight this week with a petition for a winding-up order from HMRC over an alleged unpaid tax bill of around £1.8m.

But a club spokesman has insisted the matter will be settled in due course. And the matter will not influence Pearce's preparations for the new campaign.

If there was any truth in this it would be absolutely hilarious lol

From what I remember he didn't exactly jump at the chance originally to take over - and Pearce is the sort of guy who'd want his own way (also why Warnock didn't take the job)

Do the Forest fans really rate him?

Not done that well as a manager and its always dangerous for a club legend to return.

From what I remember he didn't exactly jump at the chance originally to take over - and Pearce is the sort of guy who'd want his own way (also why Warnock didn't take the job)

Do the Forest fans really rate him?

Not done that well as a manager and its always dangerous for a club legend to return.

Reading around forums and Twitter they are very optimistic with him in charge. Although that's probably club legend enthusiasm rather than based on experience.

Can't help but feel this is an appointment to get the fans onside in the short term, if he does badly at the start he'll get leeway.

Fawaz needs to prove himself as an owner now, four managers have gone since he joined two years ago and bringing back a hero didn't work before. Thankfully we can observe it from above in footballing terms.

Archived