Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jonzey01

Who went to Wembley vs Tottenham and Tranmere?

Went to them both.

Can remember the Tottenham one, I was only 11 at the time and my dad had told me for ages that he didn't get me a ticket. Even on the morning of the game he left the house and I was crying, then 5 minutes later he came back in the house and told me to get ready and that he did really have a ticket for me.

Aye, crushed when that last minute winner went in, 10 year old me was in tears. Stefan Iverson or Nielsen was it?

I just remember Dave Challinor's long throws from the Tranmere game lol

Allan Neilsen. I was devastated :(

And same! I watched highlights recently and only just remembered they had a man sent off lol

I was at both of these.

Both games the opposition went down to 10 men (Clint Hill for Tranny and Justin Edinburgh for Spurs) and I felt sure we would go on to win. But both games we managed to concede goals even though we had the extra man.

The sad thing about the Spurs game was that their goal was a breakaway from inside their own half in the last minute and you just knew Walshy didn't have the legs to catch the guy. Felt gutted for him as he wanted it more than anyone.

Went to all the Wembley Cup Finals,Play Off Finals and cup replay at Hilsborough,still got ticket stubs to all.

Same for me.

Though I don't mean the FA cup finals, I was 8 in the year of the Man City FA cup final, but didn't go. For years after I hoped to see City at Wembley. Then there was the period (play-offs and League cup finals) where it was our second home. Great days.

I hope we get there again soon, I managed to take my oldest 2 children to Wembley, however my youngest 2 have never seen City at Wembley.

I didn't go to any of the League Cup Finals. Watched them all in a pub. On the other hand I did go to all four Play-Off Finals between 92 and 96.

I think that Derby in 94 was better than beating Middlesbrough at Hillsborough in 97 and beating Tranmere in 2000.  We can boast that we were the last club to win the League Cup at the old Wembley, but I doubt that it will cut much ice in the higher circles we'll be moving in next season.

Went to all the Wembley Cup Finals,Play Off Finals and cup replay at Hilsborough,still got ticket stubs to all.

I meant to add in the 90s

I remember that Tony Cottee was made a fuss over following the Tranmere final, it was his only medal!

He still speaks fondly of his days at city, i was chatting to him at a West Ham event a couple of years ago.

Yes went to both.

Tottenham was horrible because when they went down to 10 we were obviously optimistic. The goal was so late there was no chance to come back.

Tranmere I knew we were going to win - we were always professional against the teams from lower divisions (apart from a Grimsby debacle!).

Went to the 4 play-off finals, 3 cup finals and the Hillsborough replay.  Swindon was best game ever for pure rollercoaster emotion.  Palace was best feeling, because we won so dramatically after dominating and playing brilliant football throughout.  Hillsborough was brilliant (but also loved the away semi v Wimbledon) and Derby was fantastic too. 

As well as being the last club to win League Cup at old Wembley, I also boasted that we were the first club to win a major trophy this century when we beat Tranmere.

Like others on here, I'd waited a long time to get to Wembley, never thought we'd really do it, and then went 7 times within 10 years!

Love Steve_Walsh5's story about his Dad pretending not to have a ticket for him.  I did that for my boys this year for Bolton away when we confirmed the league title - not quite so dramatic an occasion, but very special when I pulled the tickets out and told them to get in the car.  And what a great night we had!

Went to both of these and the play off finals too, wner to the Boro final but couldn't get a ticket for the Hillsborough replay.....

Great times indeed, Wembley was like a home fixture for City fans......

I didn't really enjoy either of them. Tottenham was obviously disappointing and Tranmere we had the worst seats imaginable and could hardly see anything. Wembley really was crap.

I remember the earlier rounds with much more fondness.

Went to both. The Spurs final was horrible in every way imaginable.

When Spurs scored me and my Dad were found ourselves surrounded by Spurs fans. Then some old bloke next to me turned round and chinned one of them.

It was one of the nastiest atmospheres I've ever experienced at a footy match and an awful game to boot.

I missed the Derby play-off final, but saw the other three, plus the three League-Cup finals and the Hillsborough replay. Some wonderful memories, but in answer to the OP, my favourite memory of the Spurs and Tranmere final involved the father of one of my mates. I'd known the old man since I was a kid, and he'd been a City fan since 1929. He'd seen the FA Cup matches in 49 and (I think) all of the ones in the 1960s, but for various reasons, he'd missed the playoffs against Derby and Palace, and as a result had never seen us win at Wembley.

After the Spurs game, a big group of us were drowning our sorrows, and all eyes were on the old man, who was very philosophical about it ("Good game, best team won" and all that) and we were all thinking "Poor old bugger, that's your last chance gone of seeing us win at Wembley". Then we were back the next year, and I have the undying memory of him standing on the seats, singing his heart out and waving a City scarf in the air: made it, at long last. Brilliant!

The Tranmere final was my second ever match I think. I don't remember it very well, only certain parts.

I had my hair dyed blue and got one of those flags from the club shop with 'Wembley 2000' on it. I've still got it now, but it's gone purple. It came out for the play-offs last season but didn't bring much luck.

The flag 'pole' actually broke within 15 minutes of the match and I was absolutely gutted.

I remember driving up the motorway with all the City flags and scarves hanging out the window. Other than that - I remember the teams walking out and the goals.

I didn't really see either of ours as all these blokes jumped up in front of me as Matty got his head on them. I remember Tranmere's vividly, it was quite near the end and I think I burst into tears. I vaguely remember the ref getting injured too.

Archived