Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

City's Internationals

Surp fellas. 

Algerian fan here. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. 

Can confirm Mahrez has been quite good for us. With these last two performances, he's cemented his place in our starting line-up, which is quite hard to do in attacking midfield. Plays on the left side of a 4-4-2. Coach Gourcuff's pretty strict about left footers playing on the left wing and vice versa. Think it suits his dribbling because once he's past a player, he accelerates. Maybe takes away from his creativity because for Leicester, once he cuts in, he gets his head up to look for a pass. But for me his dribbling > creativity so I like him on the left. 

Here's a match comp of his and Yacine Brahimi's performance vs. Malawi at home. They probably shared MOTM honours for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTjB5QShCSY

Quite enjoying watching this Algeria team. It's the best I've ever seen it. I can say - without bias - we're the best side in Africa at the moment. Powerful tide of momentum, the coach is competent, the fans are on board, the players, well... we have Mahrez. 

Surp fellas. 

Algerian fan here. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. 

Can confirm Mahrez has been quite good for us. With these last two performances, he's cemented his place in our starting line-up, which is quite hard to do in attacking midfield. Plays on the left side of a 4-4-2. Coach Gourcuff's pretty strict about left footers playing on the left wing and vice versa. Think it suits his dribbling because once he's past a player, he accelerates. Maybe takes away from his creativity because for Leicester, once he cuts in, he gets his head up to look for a pass. But for me his dribbling > creativity so I like him on the left. 

Here's a match comp of his and Yacine Brahimi's performance vs. Malawi at home. They probably shared MOTM honours for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTjB5QShCSY

Quite enjoying watching this Algeria team. It's the best I've ever seen it. I can say - without bias - we're the best side in Africa at the moment. Powerful tide of momentum, the coach is competent, the fans are on board, the players, well... we have Mahrez. 

I'd say that you have one of the most talented Algerian national teams in years, if not decades (since the late 70ies, early 80ies).

But as far as the "best African side" comment is concerned, Tunisia match you in every department (and that's without any "Aigle vision" on).

Good luck to Algeria - I'd love to see Mahrez excel at international level, too. :thumbup:

I'd say that you have one of the most talented Algerian national teams in years, if not decades (since the late 70ies, early 80ies).

But as far as the "best African side" comment is concerned, Tunisia match you in every department (and that's without any "Aigle vision" on).

Good luck to Algeria - I'd love to see Mahrez excel at international level, too. :thumbup:

Algeria have more momentum, a better record, a top World Cup performance. But even if we left all of that out and just focused on players on paper, Algeria still outclasses Tunisia. 

The same Tunisia who weren't even in Brazil?

Based on the world cup Algeria are the best African side with ease. They've got far more technical skill than any of the others. A genuinely enjoyable side to watch and I think I'd hold that belief if it wasn't for me taking a bigger interest in them than usual.

EDIT; Just watched that video. Brahimi is a superb footballer. Like Mahrez, exactly the kind I like to watch.

Tunisia ain't half bad. Guys like Sassi, Abdennour, Ben Youssef would get games for Algeria. But that's about it. Like you said, they weren't in Brazil, and just 12 months ago they were in crisis. Want to see some consistency from them first, before we even include them in the conversation. 

@lcfcsnow Slimani's kind of like Ulloa. Big, cement blocks for feet, wins everything in the air. Would have probably been cheaper, but you'd have lost him in January. Where Slimani outdoes Ulloa is his defensive contribution. Chases everything. In the Nugent/Vardy mould. 

The same Tunisia who weren't even in Brazil?

Based on the world cup Algeria are the best African side with ease. They've got far more technical skill than any of the others. A genuinely enjoyable side to watch and I think I'd hold that belief if it wasn't for me taking a bigger interest in them than usual.

EDIT; Just watched that video. Brahimi is a superb footballer. Like Mahrez, exactly the kind I like to watch.

The same Tunisia who just missed out on a ticket by losing to Cameroon over two legs, while Algeria narrowly made the cut against Burkina Faso.

Algeria have a really skilled side right now with lots of talent, but Tunisia is up-and-coming and possesses a great team spirit and work rate, with lots of players going the extra mile on a regular basis.

Regardless of whether the African Cup of Nations takes place in Maroc or someplace else next year, Tunisia will be keen to impress. Watch this space. 

The same Tunisia who just missed out on a ticket by losing to Cameroon over two legs, while Algeria narrowly made the cut against Burkina Faso.

That's disingenuous. Tunisia weren't even supposed to play the play-offs as they finished behind Cape Verde in the group stages, they only progressed on a technicality. And 'just missed out' is a little generous for a side that were beaten 4-1. I know the scoreline doesn't reflect how tight the match was, but still... 

And for the record, I think the Burkina Faso of 2013 (AFCON finalists) were a better side than Tunisia and Cameroon. 

All that said, I do like Tunisia. But they're far behind Algeria. In Leekens they have a defensive manager that will help them win games, but Algeria have an identity. That takes time and quality players to develop. Tunisia not there yet. 

For me the Carthage Eagles need Saihi, Sassi, Chikhaoui, Msakni, Khazri, Ben Youssef in full form to impress in Morocco. Even then I have my doubts in defence, if Leekens plays a regular formation. Also need Ben Mustapha to hit form, or gyp Hassen, because I don't trust Balbouli.

This is going to be really annoying if we are going to have to miss Mahrez every weekend after he goes on International duty.

This happens again we miss him for Sunderland at home next month and we could do with him for that.

It's just ridiculous that they play on the Saturday and Wednesday, very little recovery time if we play on Saturday, whereas European teams play on Monday and Tuesday. We aren't necessarily going to miss him after every break, but he doesn't seem to have the stamina yet of some of his team mates and often drops off in games after around 60-70 minutes, which is a real shame. Pearson will manage him as best he can, and players like Albrighton and Knocky should be able to come in and not significantly weaken our side.

That's disingenuous. Tunisia weren't even supposed to play the play-offs as they finished behind Cape Verde in the group stages, they only progressed on a technicality. And 'just missed out' is a little generous for a side that were beaten 4-1. I know the scoreline doesn't reflect how tight the match was, but still... 

And for the record, I think the Burkina Faso of 2013 (AFCON finalists) were a better side than Tunisia and Cameroon. 

All that said, I do like Tunisia. But they're far behind Algeria. In Leekens they have a defensive manager that will help them win games, but Algeria have an identity. That takes time and quality players to develop. Tunisia not there yet. 

For me the Carthage Eagles need Saihi, Sassi, Chikhaoui, Msakni, Khazri, Ben Youssef in full form to impress in Morocco. Even then I have my doubts in defence, if Leekens plays a regular formation. Also need Ben Mustapha to hit form, or gyp Hassen, because I don't trust Balbouli.

I'd say Algeria are about a couple of years ahead of Tunisia at the moment in terms of development, but the talent is there.

Yes, the latter country needs their players in full form, as Chikhaoui in particular has been marred by constant injuries in the past. If fully fit, he's a skilled and smooth beast who's so comfortable with the ball at both of his feet. Chermiti should also not be underestimated.

The biggest downside with the Tunisian national squad is that the vast majority of them are playing in Tunisia itself, which I don't consider a particularly challenging league bar two or three teams. And Jemâa and Msakni in Qatar, picking up their paycheck... Come on, they can do better than that.

Algeria have players all across Europe at the moment, which will help develop them even further in a shorter amount of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Ulloa to play for Chile 

http://www.ole.com.ar/futbol-internacional/Ulloa-Roja_0_1242475935.html

Former San Lorenzo striker joined Arsenal and Mauro Zarate and signed Chilean citizenship to play for the team that runs Sampaoli.Sergio Jadue, president of the Association trasandina supported the announcement: "We are not taking advantage of a joint Chilean Is More.".

After adding Mauro Zarate, the Chilean duo assembled a selection Albiceleste attack since the nationalization of Leonardo Ulloa, good present in Leicester in the Premier League was confirmed. As the former Velez had the chance because his father is from Chile, in the case of former San Lorenzo striker and Arsenal the link is given by his grandmother. According to Chilean media, both already have signed a letter of nationality and are available for Jorge Sampaoli, another of us.Sergio Jadue newly re-elected president of the National Association of Professional Soccer of Chile (ANFP), referred to the issue told ADN Radio his country and supported the call: "We are not taking advantage of a context, a foreign player coming to Chile, is here and nationalize years."And on the case of Zarate, expanded: "He is the son of Chilean, so our Constitution it establishes the right Is a Chilean more and look forward to him and others in that line.". Mauro could be on the call for matches the Red play against Venezuela and Uruguay, on 14 and 18 November, respectively. While Ulloa would join the March FIFA dates. Both will be in the spotlight for the Copa America 2015.

Leicester City striker, Leonardo Ulloa has reportedly followed the lead of Mauro Zárate and agreed to represent Chile rather than his native Argentina. The 28-year-old has still not represented La Albiceleste and despite enjoying a fine start to life in the Premier League was not named in the latest squad. It is now thought that Ulloa will accept the offer to play for Chile as he has a Chilean grandmother.

Sergio Jadue, President of the Chilean Football Federation defended the policy of offering an alternative international career to such players. Speaking to Chilean radio, Jadue said:

“We are not taking advantage of a situation, a foreign player comesto Chile, is years here and we nationalise them”.  

Adding, in the case of Zárate , “he is the son of a Chilean, by whichour Constitution establishes the right. It is one Chilean more and we hope to have him and others.”

In the case of Zárate with a link as strong as a father, plus an ever-increasing chance that he will not be called up to represent Argentina, the argument from Jadue appears valid.

However, Ulloa with just a Chilean grandmother the link is slightly more tenuous. Ulloa is Argentine born to Argentine parents, came through the youth ranks at Comisión de Actividades Infantiles in Chubut and played for San Lorenzo and Arsenal before moving to Spain.

At 28, Ulloa’s hopes of playing for Argentina get slimmer as time goes on and so Chile perhaps offer the best opportunity to play international football and this is a practice which of course is not uncommon in world football.

Zárate could make his La Roja debut as early as the friendlies against Venezuela and Uruguay this month while Ulloa is not expected to feature until 2015. However, if both make their debuts shortly, Chile could end up fielding both Zárate and Ulloa at the Copa America next year.

Two of Leicester City’s young stars will be in international action for Scotland Under-16s on Friday as they take on Wales in the Sky Sports Victory Shield.

The match sees goalkeeper Cameron Yates and midfielder Dominic Brown-Hill in the squad for the reigning champions, with kick-off at 7pm. 

The pair are progressing steadily through the ranks at City’s Academy and have already been capped by Scotland at Under-15s level on the back of their impressive performances in the Club’s youth setup. 

Taking place at St Johnstone’s McDiarmid Park, the match sees Scotland looking to get back to winning ways after an opening 2-1 defeat to Northern Ireland in Paisley under the management of former City midfielder Scott Gemmill. 

The likes of Michael Owen, Jack Wilshere and current England captain Wayne Rooney are just a few of the big names to have previously featured in the tournament, which has been running every year since 1946 and features England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/061114-academy-duo-in-victory-shield-squad-2066190.aspx#Dkmr4iohKiTGotVg.99

Archived