Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

City's Internationals

Give him a go at the top of the diamond for crying out loud, then tracking back matters fvck all and the only defensive work he has to do is keeping an eye on their DM. Of course that is a second preference to sacking off the diamond altogether.

I can see why Pearson might not select him away at somewhere like Southampton, but there's no excuse for not playing him at home against teams like West Brom. Has to start against Sunderland IMO. Wouldn't hurt to give Knockaert a game too, provided he's still  stepping up for the u21s.

Someone please remind why the theory about Pearson holding back wide/flair/forward players is bollocks.

It looks like Mahrez is going the same way as Gradel, N'Guessan, Waghorn, Marshall and Knockaert and Mahrez will undoubtedly prove to be the costliest.

Only Dyer has really improved under him.

It's a disgrace really, fancy holding back Marshall and N'Guessan. Just imagine if he'd managed to work with them and the others, we'd have been promoted from League One to the Premier league.... Oh.

Bloody Pearson holding back Mahrez, I bet he regrets swapping Le Havre for promotion to the premier league and international recognition.

A bit of perspective, Mahrez missed the Newcastle game due to being back from international duty the day before (remember the Stoke game, the last time we played him after an international... shit), he played in two of the others (woeful at Swansea) and came off the bench in the third.  So really there have been two games he's not had match time in. To not bring on your most creative player when trailing doesn't seem the smartest move fair enough, but I think the reactions on here are ridiculous.

Shy-kid striker now killer-instinct captainSave
Tuesday, 18 November 2014
SCCZEN_A_200610NZHBPWORLDCUP554_480x270.
Chris Wood's rapid rise in the All Whites has been on the back of an innate ability to read the game and score goals but leading the team from the front will be a challenge. Photo / Brett Phibbs

By Steven Holloway

I can still clearly remember the first time I had to mark Chris Wood.

It was 2008 and our Waikato FC team were destined to finish fifth in the national league. Wood, despite being a 15-year old man-child with impressive pedigree, never made a start and was always on the bench.

So at set piece training on Thursday night I was tasked with picking up the 1.9m schoolboy, who was representing our upcoming opponents' biggest aerial threat.

Three corners were swung in and each time Wood brushed me off, easily predicting the flight path of the ball before out-jumping our defence to score three consecutive headers. It raised an immediate and passionate inquisition. Could I not be trusted with defensive duties or was this powerful, shy freak of schoolboy football some sort of goal-scoring savant? The answer to both questions, as it turns out, was yes.

Wood scored goals for fun. A year earlier he won the golden boot at both the national secondary schools tournament and the national U-19 club tournament in Napier. There were always concerns about his knees and mobility, he could at times be lazy off the ball, but boy, he could score goals.

I watched him play once for St Paul's Collegiate against a top team in the Hamilton schools competition and he didn't have a particularly good game, but he scored four goals.

All were scrappy, all were created by an innate sense of timing and reading of the game, good body position and a killer instinct.

That is Wood's game. He is Mr Right Place Right Time and his uncanny ability to know where the ball will land, and his precision in then putting that ball in the net, have now earned him millions of dollars.

Last week Wood reached the pinnacle of the Kiwi game when he was named All Whites captain. The quiet, well-mannered kid from Hamilton has transformed, in just five years, into the nation's (temporary) football leader. But is he really captain material?

Probably not, by virtue of his position. The All Whites haven't had a striker as captain since Michael McGarry more than 20 years ago. In-game, they have too much else to think about and play a lot of the game with their back to goal.

But what does a captain do other than toss a coin? In Roy Keane's latest book he talks about how Eric Cantona captained Manchester United successfully with just his presence and charisma, leading by example but rarely saying a word.

Wood may not have Cantona's charisma but he sure can lead by example. The half chance he turned into a goal on Saturday morning changed the All Whites' outlook from one of disappointment to optimism, hope and encouragement.

With a diminutive back-up cast of Marco Rojas, Kosta Barbarouses and Ryan Thomas, Wood is our attacking leader. They provide the flare and creativity (for a combined three goals in 42 games), and he provides the goals (13 in 39).

As a Premier League footballer, he will also automatically have the respect of the squad, the same way Winston Reid does. But it would be nice to have someone a bit more eloquent off the field too.

We were spoiled with Ryan Nelsen, but it's always a bonus when the public face for the team speaks in something beyond platitudes and glib sports phraseology.

I've watched Wood transform from a shy kid who wouldn't say boo, to a cocky international striker who pulled his pants down after scoring a goal, to the youngest captain in All Whites history.

What's next? When Reid and Glen Moss return to the squad will he slip back to a tier-two leader? Or will this experience stir him to much greater things? I'm just glad it's no longer my job to pick him up at set pieces.

Archived