Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manwell Pablo

Hodgson Out?

Until we get back to playing the English way we won't improve, teams looked at Spain and thought let's copy the model for success and it doesn't work. That is Spain, that is their footballing identity, that's how they grow up playing.

We need to get back to playing fast, high tempo in defence and attack, aggressive football. Funnily enough that's how the South American teams are playing in this tournament and they are dominating. Colombia and Chile in particular.

When have we ever done that for a consistent period of time?

The English way is exactly how Germany currently play. Klinsmann said when he sat down with Low to reinvent German football they looked at English football and said that's how we want to play fast, attacking football. Not making 2-3 short passes when 1 would have been enough. Not playing 2 deep holding midfielders but playing an energetic all action midfield. Glenn Hoddle's England was the last time we had a team that played the "English" way.

We should adopt the 3-5-2 formation like Hoddle's England.

Guest MattP

Yes.

Our worst ever World Cup.

What's the point in keeping him till the Euros which is half-way through a cycle?

Hodgson out.

Redknapp in.

lol

We'd have a team with Crouch and Joe Cole in.

Have not just noticed the bloke has just finished fourth in the championship with the budget of a top 6 Premier league club?

Guest MattP

You can laff all you like but he couldn't have done any worse than Woy.

Two things I think Redknapp would have done:

- persuaded Terry to come back and play

- taken Ashley Cole.

Both would have improved us.

IMO.

I don't think this is anytime to be defending Hodgson at the expense of any alternative. He (and the team) have fooked up good and proper.

On what reasoning do you believe that?

You really think John Terry is sat at home thinking 'well I didn't really want to go, but if Harry had asked I would' lol

Of course Redknapp could have done worse, we probably wouldn't have got their with him in charge.

Yes.

Our worst ever World Cup.

What's the point in keeping him till the Euros which is half-way through a cycle?

Hodgson out.

Redknapp in.

lol Hello mate!!

Nothing to worry about them Uruguyans and Italians eh?

The English way is exactly how Germany currently play. Klinsmann said when he sat down with Low to reinvent German football they looked at English football and said that's how we want to play fast, attacking football. Not making 2-3 short passes when 1 would have been enough. Not playing 2 deep holding midfielders but playing an energetic all action midfield. Glenn Hoddle's England was the last time we had a team that played the "English" way.

Is that really "the English way" or just the methods adopted by many teams in the Premier League?

I think we all know which....

lol

We'd have a team with Crouch and Joe Cole in.

Have not just noticed the bloke has just finished fourth in the championship with the budget of a top 6 Premier league club?

You need your head looking at mate, he's built a side with the highest star rating on FIFA 14 in the championship.

On what reasoning do you believe that?

You really think John Terry is sat at home thinking 'well I didn't really want to go, but if Harry had asked I would' lol

Of course Redknapp could have done worse, we probably wouldn't have got their with him in charge.

We all know your biased views on Redknapp Matt and how wrong you looked when he did actually take QPR up.

They continue I see..rather than a humble acceptance of what happened, you bang the same drum?

Yes, I believe if anyone could have got Terry back in the squad it would have been Arry.

I also believe we'd have looked an improvement on the dross Woy served up.

This England squad and the National team is at the lowest ebb I've seen for a long time.

3.5 million per year to not even get out of the group. In any other walk of life, Hodgson would be gone.

Personally, I see no point in sacking him. There is no-one who clearly wants the job.

The only way is up from here.

I kinda get this and am not just dismissing it.

The 'English way' ( as I've always seen it) is a pressing, quick tempo'd, get-at-em sort of game. It's about getting the ball forward quickly, not pissing about with it in the middle of the park, and it's about attack being the best form of defence.

The problem with this is two-fold:

1. The heat in Brazil... Our lads are just not used to it.. Yes, some of the South American sides adopt this style of play but THEY are used to the climate.

2. It's not worked for us in the past. The 'English game' was criticised years ago for not being controlling enough. We lost the ball too much and couldn't retain it. Therefore, or so I thought? We needed to adopt a more 'continental' style of play. The problem with this is that our players just aren't good enough at keeping the ball.

Where we've gone wrong in this World Cup IMO is not when we had the ball... We've attacked pretty well, but WITHOUT the ball, we've been clueless.

Well one of them will be going out at the group stage like us.

Totally irrelevant whether they stay in or go out. They've both beaten us and put us out, something you said wouldn't happen. We're much better than Uruguay remember?

We all know your biased views on Redknapp Matt and how wrong you looked when he did actually take QPR up.

They continue I see..rather than a humble acceptance of what happened, you bang the same drum?

Yes, I believe if anyone could have got Terry back in the squad it would have been Arry.

I also believe we'd have looked an improvement on the dross Woy served up.

This England squad and the National team is at the lowest ebb I've seen for a long time.

3.5 million per year to not even get out of the group. In any other walk of life, Hodgson would be gone.

Personally, I see no point in sacking him. There is no-one who clearly wants the job.

The only way is up from here.

Redknapp would be a car crash of an England manager.

I kinda get this and am not just dismissing it.

The 'English way' ( as I've always seen it) is a pressing, quick tempo'd, get-at-em sort of game. It's about getting the ball forward quickly, not pissing about with it in the middle of the park, and it's about attack being the best form of defence.

The problem with this is two-fold:

1. The heat in Brazil... Our lads are just not used to it.. Yes, some of the South American sides adopt this style of play but THEY are used to the climate.

2. It's not worked for us in the past. The 'English game' was criticised years ago for not being controlling enough. We lost the ball too much and couldn't retain it. Therefore, or so I thought? We needed to adopt a more 'continental' style of play. The problem with this is that our players just aren't good enough at keeping the ball.

Where we've gone wrong in this World Cup IMO is not when we had the ball... We've attacked pretty well, but WITHOUT the ball, we've been clueless.

The heat, the second popular myth you've come out with today.

It's not actually that hot in Brazil. Sao Paulo where we played Uruguay in particular.

A few problems in the English game as I see it:

1) over paid players being hyped up, as soon as a player who could play for England, has one good game they are demanding mega wages from the age of 17. Constantly told how fantastic and amazing they are.

2)Players not moving out if their comfort zone, English players typically all stay in the premier league, then we complain they can't adapt to the conditions.

3) players jumping above their youth age group. We seem to move players up far to quickly, let all the u17s stay at that level u18s u20s etc and take the best available squads to youth tournements let the kids experience winning when at tournements.

For me now I would start building for the next World Cup with the Costa Rica game, anyone who won't be around in 4 years sits on the bench.

The next squad would contain players 27 and under who 1) actually want to play for England and 2) are playing week in week out for their clubs. If this changes they need to be actively looking to move on, not picking up their pay packet in Chelsea reserves.

Encourage some if these players to look at Spain, Italy , Germany as options to go and play and improve their game.

I would keep the squad and management/coaching structure the same for the next 4 years.

It's time for a rebuild.

Archived