Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manwell Pablo

Hodgson Out?

I know some of it is tongue-in-cheek, but what did you expect from a man in charge for roughly two years? A miracle on grass?

England's national team is finding itself in a time of transition, with the previous generation having to let go and the younger players breaking into the scene.

Like I said in the match thread, if you fail to grow and nurture young talent on a consistent basis in order to fill the holes left by the oldest players, then sooner or later you'll run into troubles.

So part of the blame goes to the clubs for not willing to let enough English youngsters come through the ranks.

Hodgson may be one part of the problem, the other is that it's going to take at least another two years until England can claim to field a proper team again.

The signs point in the right direction. It'll come good.

I blame Hodgson for the poor tactics against Italy.

He got it better last night but was let down by poor defenders.

Generally they played in a more positive way which is welcome.

On the plus side though you could see that it hurt him as an Englishman and we haven't seen that since Bobby Robson.

Keep him - no one better and I think he will learn from this. Just need some better defenders now.

Yes. Never rated him anyway.

Too negative, hence why Milner has the most caps under him. I don't get his substitutions at times either, it's nothing different it's just a straight swap. Lallana came on for Welbeck yesterday, and Welbeck did nothing wrong. What about just changing the system and launching Lambert on? At least it's something different. As for his tactics, well I question them at times. Caught out twice by a Suarez corner - which he nearly scored from - ok the first time fair play but tell someone to get on the near post so it doesn't happen again. Would have summed us up if one of those went in. I think he made an error not bringing Cole. Fair play, he hasn't played much for Chelsea this season but he's still better defensively than Baines, and I'm a Baines fan.

It depends what the FA wants though. The only thing in Roy's favour is if they want an English manager because I'm not sure there are better options than Hodgson. Though I don't have faith in the FA, they always want a man that will agree with them, hence why Cloughie never got it when he should have.

I like him. We just seem to have a dearth of technically excellent footballers in the UK for whatever reason and the box-to-box, 100 mile an hour style of the Prem doesn't translate into international football. We'll continue to be shown up at tournaments until the football philosophy changes.

Biggest mistake was not taking Ashley Cole. Our defence is revolting and it'll be a few years until we hopefully see some quality at the back.

Its frightening how poor our backline is, I don't know where a few decent defenders are going to come from.

We have been spoilt with some great defender over the last few decades.

He should stay.

Whilst part of me sees Mike Bassett getting off the plane and yelling FOUR MORE YEARS, I think he should remain in post because

a) It wasn't his fault. Some players we would all have picked didn't perform well.

b) There are no better candidates available (in a year or two maybe big Nige)

and most importantly

c) Maybe we have to learn to accept that we are a mid ranking footballing nation who will occasionally make a quarter final but we''re not in the same league as Germany, Italy, Brazil et al. Maybe the England job is about managing the expectation at tournaments.

:)

The thing is we played negative but not with negative players.

If you're going to be negative you need to at least flood the midfield not play 4 attacking players.

It looked to me like hodgson wanted to be seen to be attacking through his picks but not fully commiting with tactics.

I think he'll stay, not sure on candidates. Throw a 'legend' in and see what happens, Gary Neville?

Biggest mistake was not taking Ashley Cole. Our defence is revolting and it'll be a few years until we hopefully see some quality at the back.

Fingers crossed Stones can turn into a quality centre half, and that Shaw will progress at Man Utd.

Not for me. He should stag regardless.

We're just starting to play the 'right way', and blood a new generation. Chopping and changing is not what we need.

Ultimately we've come up short because we have frailties in key areas - Jagielka, Baines, Johnson (who seems to be strolling back and 20 yards away from play every time we concede) looked incredibly out of their depth in the 2 games so far. So what chance have we got if the majority of the defence aren't fit to wear the shirt?!

Guest ttfn

England "defend" and reach the QF at euro 2012 - Hodgson too boring! Hodgson out!

England attack and lose 2 games against decent opposition by the narrowest of margins - Hodgson out! He's tactically naive!

England "defend" and reach the QF at euro 2012 - Hodgson too boring! Hodgson out!

England attack and lose 2 games against decent opposition by the narrowest of margins - Hodgson out! He's tactically naive!

Mark my words, if we'd still got as good defence as we had 2 years ago then he'd have played more defensively this time round too. Sadly our defence is appalling and it puts real pressure on your attack. We've missed several clear chances in both games and yet Italy and Uruguay have punished us with their few chances.

He can only work with the players he's got unfortunately, the only changes I would have made to the squad is convincing John Terry to come, along with maybe Ashley Cole and John Stones, would have made little to no difference though. I don't think he's the best man for the job at all, but he's not the worst by a long shot. We're just not a very good team, some great individuals, but on a whole a pretty poor side.

Baffled by the constant berating of managers rather than players, we've tried top managers from here and abroad with the same results, our players aren't good enough, our coaching at lower levels of the game isn't good enough, the premier league stockpiling youngsters from abroad and from england isn't right, but these things will never change.

I said at the last world cup in south africa we'll change the manager but the result will be the same...failure,,, and here we are, I feel the same about every major tournamant, our only hope is to get a easy group.

Imo opinion our back four isn't international class as shown by stupid mistakes in both games.

I do like Roy and we could do with sticking with one manager for a while. Hopefully we'll develop a good team by 2016 if we can get some defenders

Archived