Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manwell Pablo

Hodgson Out?

Me and a couple of mates were joking about Redknapp being the next man in.

Some people are actually serious about it though :unsure:

Other than not qualifying (who knows?), Redknapp could not have done any worse a job than Hodgson. Let me reiterate it once more.. We have not failed to get out of the group stage for over 50 years. Hodgson has fooked it up.

However, as I said earlier, I'd keep Woy. Not because he's a great manager, but because there is point in keeping on failing/swapping, failing/swapping ad infinitum. I have no excitement or enthusiasm at Hodgson being England manager.. But the problems run MUCH deeper than just manager.

Other than not qualifying (who knows?), Redknapp could not have done any worse a job than Hodgson. Let me reiterate it once more.. We have not failed to get out of the group stage for over 50 years. Hodgson has fooked it up.

However, as I said earlier, I'd keep Woy. Not because he's a great manager, but because there is point in keeping on failing/swapping, failing/swapping ad infinitum. I have no excitement or enthusiasm at Hodgson being England manager.. But the problems run MUCH deeper than just manager.

Bit in a contradictory morning mood, Colin?

Besides, all that harping about not failing to get past the group stage for more than 50 years is getting a bit tedious now.

It's not like it's something to boast about - especially for a nation like England. It's a relatively embarrassing stat, quite frankly.

Accept that your churning out the same nonsense that was churned out immediately after the last failure at a World Cup. Trust in the youth, it's time for a change etc.

How old are you?

Have you not heard this same argument for the past 30/40 years?

Try to post something interesting. An alternative reason for why England have failed at major tournaments over and over and over again. We've had umpteen managers, both domestic and foreign. We've had the so-called 'golden generation' of young players (meant to be much better than the current crop), yet we've just crashed and burned... Again

Why? Don't simply post the same old turd, enlighten us...

Finally.. Wrong about Redknapp? Same as I was wrong about him taking QPR straight back up?

Show some humility and accept when somebody calls something correctly.

Maybe it's because even with the "Golden Generation" participating at major tournaments, there were still other teams/nations performing better on the day?

You rode your luck with Redknapp and QPR, admit that. You were darn fortunate.

I wouldn't push my luck that far if I were you with regards to your alleged prediction prowess. :thumbup:

Guest ttfn

I actually think Hodgson has done a decent job with the players available to him.

Football is a low-scoring game and as such lends itself to the outcome of matches not necessarily correlating to the overall flow of the game. With this in mind you have to wonder whether judging the manager's performance on tournament football is even an appropriate metric on which he should be judged.

We know we don't have a good group of players at the moment. We were up against 2 decent sides in Italy (Euro 2012 finalists) and Uruguay (reigning Copa America Champions) and a complete surprise package in Costa Rica (who we may yet beat). But in neither of our games have we been humiliated at all. We would have been full value for a point in both games, it just so happened that the luck didn't fall our way this time. Certainly in the Uruguay game there only looked like there was one team who might win it after we scored, and it wasn't Uruguay.

In isolation, narrow defeats to Uruguay and Italy in games which we could easily have won are no disgrace at all. We got stuck with an absolute stinker of a group and an inexperienced group of players looked pretty comfortable in that company for the most part.

What Hodgson indisputably did do, particularly against Italy, was set England up in an attacking, entertaining style which encouraged the players to keep the ball and then take risks in the final third. And I actually don't think that, given the group of players at his disposal, we could ask for much more than that. We could easily have won both of those games, particularly the second one, and to a large extent the little things that happen which change a result from 1-1 to 2-1 are out of Hodgson's control once the players cross the white line. Hodgson is responsible for the tactical set-up, selection and our overall approach to the game. In the absence of the players to take us deep into the tournament, I think he's done a reasonable job.

Maybe it's because even with the "Golden Generation" participating at major tournaments, there were still other teams/nations performing better on the day?

You rode your luck with Redknapp and QPR, admit that. You were darn fortunate.

I wouldn't push my luck that far if I were you with regards to your alleged prediction prowess. :thumbup:

Tell us some of your own points and opinions on things. As far as I can see, you sit at your PC, rarely attend games, put up childish pictures and post glib comments on other's opinions.

But rarely tell us your own opinions on football related matters.

Do try, it's easy to sit back and take the mick out of others. It's a bit more difficult to put yourself up to be shot at.

Let's read some Michael Prussian stuff.. Give a view, tell us about what you are thinking. This dismissal of others just gets mundane.

:thumbup:

I actually think Hodgson has done a decent job with the players available to him.

Football is a low-scoring game and as such lends itself to the outcome of matches not necessarily correlating to the overall flow of the game. With this in mind you have to wonder whether judging the manager's performance on tournament football is even an appropriate metric on which he should be judged.

We know we don't have a good group of players at the moment. We were up against 2 decent sides in Italy (Euro 2012 finalists) and Uruguay (reigning Copa America Champions) and a complete surprise package in Costa Rica (who we may yet beat). But in neither of our games have we been humiliated at all. We would have been full value for a point in both games, it just so happened that the luck didn't fall our way this time. Certainly in the Uruguay game there only looked like there was one team who might win it after we scored, and it wasn't Uruguay.

In isolation, narrow defeats to Uruguay and Italy in games which we could easily have won are no disgrace at all. We got stuck with an absolute stinker of a group and an inexperienced group of players looked pretty comfortable in that company for the most part.

What Hodgson indisputably did do, particularly against Italy, was set England up in an attacking, entertaining style which encouraged the players to keep the ball and then take risks in the final third. And I actually don't think that, given the group of players at his disposal, we could ask for much more than that. We could easily have won both of those games, particularly the second one, and to a large extent the little things that happen which change a result from 1-1 to 2-1 are out of Hodgson's control once the players cross the white line. Hodgson is responsible for the tactical set-up, selection and our overall approach to the game. In the absence of the players to take us deep into the tournament, I think he's done a reasonable job.

Well it didn't take too long coming....

Tell us some of your own points and opinions on things. As far as I can see, you sit at your PC, rarely attend games, put up childish pictures and post glib comments on other's opinions.

But rarely tell us your own opinions on football related matters.

Do try, it's easy to sit back and take the mick out of others. It's a bit more difficult to put yourself up to be shot at.

Let's read some Michael Prussian stuff.. Give a view, tell us about what you are thinking. This dismissal of others just gets mundane.

If you did read some of my comments in the England threads, you would know.

And all of this is coming from the guy who claimed he allegedly knew how bad Candreva was from the start and claimed to have put it down in writing in the England - Italy match thread - when in fact, he didn't. lol

But since you didn't, your comment is void.

If you did read some of my comments in the England threads, you would know.

But since you didn't, your comment is void.

What? You mean you actually posted something other than a remark like wot a kid of five might post?

Fook me. I'm gonna try to find it. Hold on.. I could be some time..

What? You mean you actually posted something other than a juvenile remark like wot a kid of five might post?

Fook me. I'm gonna try to find it. Hold on.. I could be some time..

I'm kind enough to provide you with a little selection of my more articulate observations here:

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/95728-hodgson-out/?p=3037439

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/95728-hodgson-out/?p=3037554

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/95728-hodgson-out/?p=3037033

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/95742-who-england-need-to-copy-next/?p=3038112

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/95742-who-england-need-to-copy-next/?p=3038140

Only took me a few minutes.

Sorry, Colin. But you've been found out.

Letting me down this early in the day already. Shambles, really.

lol

I just KNEW you'd have to go back and do something like that!

Now it's a Saturday, go out and do something productive with your day and we'll return to our conversation later. Do something other than being on FT. You might broaden your horizons?

Oi pronto!!

lol

lol

I just KNEW you'd have to go back and do something like that!

Now it's a Saturday, go out and do something productive with your day and we'll return to our conversation later. Do something other than being on FT. You might broaden your horizons?

Oi pronto!!

lol

Haha, Colin's been found out. lol

Trying to buy yourself time, aren't you?

And when it happens, it's the usual "I knew this would happen" standard riposte. And that coming from a guy who's about twice my age (about 120).

How about you post something substantial again?

Here, another of my posts on the matter, for yours truly:

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/95668-england-v-uruguay/?p=3036921

You can laff all you like but he couldn't have done any worse than Woy.

Two things I think Redknapp would have done:

- persuaded Terry to come back and play

- taken Ashley Cole.

Both would have improved us.

IMO.

I don't think this is anytime to be defending Hodgson at the expense of any alternative. He (and the team) have fooked up good and proper.

He might've taken Cole, but Terry is finished as an international player. He gets on fine with Hodgson, he just doesn't want to return after everything that has happened. 

You can use sticks to beat Hodgson with but not taking a player who is retired isn't one.

Redknapp got into the top 4 twice and got to the Champions League quarter-finals.

Hodgson has never even managed in the Champions League.

Capello has won league titles and the Champions League, he couldn't manage this side successfully.

Guest MattP

We all know your biased views on Redknapp Matt and how wrong you looked when he did actually take QPR up.

They continue I see..rather than a humble acceptance of what happened, you bang the same drum?

Yes, I believe if anyone could have got Terry back in the squad it would have been Arry.

I also believe we'd have looked an improvement on the dross Woy served up.

This England squad and the National team is at the lowest ebb I've seen for a long time.

3.5 million per year to not even get out of the group. In any other walk of life, Hodgson would be gone.

Personally, I see no point in sacking him. There is no-one who clearly wants the job.

The only way is up from here.

Proved wrong? I've said he's an overrated manager, something I stand by, fluking a play off win after a cock up of a season doesn't change that, using your logic Holloway would be a genius.

He got promoted and most of the QPR fans still wanted him out, I think that says it all.

Again, what you basing the fact 'Arry might have been the only one to get Terry back on I have absolutely no idea, if he wants to play for Arry rather than England then you have to wonder why he spent his whole career at Chelsea.

Redknapp got into the top 4 twice and got to the Champions League quarter-finals.

Hodgson has never even managed in the Champions League.

Which is starting to look even more average these days considering he had Bale and Modric in the side along with the money he spent.

Even if Harry convinced Terry to come back it's not like our defence would be improved because the man is 'tactically inept' especially if some think Hodgson is poor tactically.

Few points

1.) There is an obvious blame culture in regards to the England national team. So many of us insist on looking at the negatives. Oh, Gerrard made one mistake, Rooney only got one goal and one assist in two games, Roy Hodgson is too defensive.

2.)People moan about us being too defensive but does that not go down to the fact that we're playing against some of the best attacking players in the world; Pirlo, Balotelli, Suarez, Cavani? Even so, we are so much more positive than 2 years ago.

3.) Harry Redknapp is the most overrated English football manager in the country. This would be a likely Redknapp XI in my opinion

Green

Johnson         Dawson            Terry          Cole

Lampard          Carrick

Young              Wilshere        Sturridge

Rooney

EDIT: Okay, I've exaggerated that point, we all know Defoe would get in there ahead of Rooney :P

4.) When we have an old side people moan about not having youth. When we have a young side people moan about not having experience.

5.) Injuries. This point has not really been mentioned before. We have been missing some very good players. Oxlade-Chamberlain looked outstanding in a friendly in Miami. Would Kyle Walker have done better than Johnson? What about Theo Walcott and Andros Townsend. Walcott was in some excellent form before his long-term injury, Townsend look lively in an England shirt. Maybe even Jay Rodrigues?

Guest ttfn

Jimmy in Uttoxeter: Surely Liverpool's Andre Wisdom (pictured) is in for a defensive position for the senior national side. Current Under-21 captain, good on the ball and a solid player. We had him on loan at Derby this season at right-back and he was a rock.

I think Jimmy in Uttoxeter wins the award for stupidest suggestion to improve the national team.

Archived