Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manwell Pablo

Hodgson Out?

Guest MattP

No.

For a start we are nowhere near as good as we think we are and no matter how much Sky Sports news tries to tell us our players are not on the level of our expectations anymore.

He's done a good job and I doubt anyone better would want to manage the transitional stage we have upcoming where expectations again will be completely unrealistic.

No.

For a start we are nowhere near as good as we think we are and no matter how much Sky Sports news tries to tell us our players are not on the level of our expectations anymore.

He's done a good job and I doubt anyone better would want to manage the transitional stage we have upcoming where expectations again will be completely unrealistic.

There is no one who is much better, which is surely the reason for change? We are going for English managers, so don't bother mentioning Martinez, Mourinho or Rodgers, won't happen.

We are left with Pardew who barely signs English players, Allardyce (people will turn off if he's appointed) and Bruce. Redknapp is older than Hodgson so if we are looking long term he won't fit.

Then who do we have? Garry Monk, with three months managerial experience, our Nige, up and coming but with no real top flight experience, and Dyche, same as Pearson.

Unless you trust Southgate to step up, that's the Premier League options.

Or appoint the current assistant to Hodgson as the new manager, Gary Neville. 

Someone who is young, in touch with the modern game and someone who could develop the younger generation coming through, players like Barkley, Sterling, Henderson, Wilshire, Stones, Flanagan and Sturridge who are currently being coached, not 'managed' like Hodgson does, will Roy improve them? No. I would have added Shaw to that list but Pochettino has left. 

If you sack the manager you simply move a MUCH bigger problem onto the next one.. and the next one...

We've had umpteen managers since 1968. None have won anything. Nothing....

Are they all bad?

There's a bigger issue going on.

Starts with the FA and the Premier League.

I like him as a pundit but he's utterly unproven at the highest level of management. Or any level of management.

2 duff games and it would be "Neville out" from the usual crowd who think they know better.

Klinssman had no previous management experience when he was Germany manager and he ripped the team apart and based his 2006 squad on current form and youth. They got to the semi-finals and lost to the eventual winners. Now imagine if that was Gary Neville. He would be praised and the country we would be proud, in contrast to the laughing stock that both Capello and Hodgson have turned us into.

Can't blame the manager for having a fairly sh*t crop of players to pick from. He probably got them playing to the limit of their ability against Italy, and to a lesser extent Uruguay but we simply aren't that good. The same problem will fall on manager after manager. As Col said, the problems are far deeper rooted and people need to realise this rather than pointing fingers at the surface.

Someone who is young, in touch with the modern game and someone who could develop the younger generation coming through, players like Barkley, Sterling, Henderson, Wilshire, Stones, Flanagan and Sturridge who are currently being coached, not 'managed' like Hodgson does, will Roy improve them? No. I would have added Shaw to that list but Pochettino has left.

I'd like to see Neville as the manager in the not too distant future. International managers aren't afforded the time (or patience) to develop players, a manager that is tactically aware is essential however and Neville has showed that through his punditry

It's a tricky one, this. I'd keep him for now but groom (for want of a better word) Neville under the understanding he's to take over after Euro 2016. As has been said, we've no better English options, I thought the England performance was weak against Italy but last night was plain rotten luck, Godin should've been off within the first fifteen and Rooney missing that header from a yard out are the type of things you can't legislate for, same with Suarez's finishing. Neville seems astute enough in the commentary box but I think working under Hodgson for a few more years to fully comprehend the ins and outs of international management would help him no end.

There are one too many passengers in this current England side for me at the moment, Jagielka has never looked the right weight for me and gives me no confidence. I understood the clamour for Henderson to be in there given his Premier League form but he's looked utterly out of his depth both technically and mentally alongside Gerrard who's had his worst tournament in an England shirt. That is no fault of Roy's, it's a fault of their own, as a holding two they left our (by anyone's admission - weak) defence horrendously exposed. I think Gerrard has proven his worth in an England shirt but I don't want him saying he's had "banter" with the opposition's best player days before a crucial international, he's our captain - that's not right.

Neither Johnson or Baines are good enough to be starting - and Welbeck, as much as he didn't disgrace himself this tournament and is a more than capable squad player, shouldn't be starting for England on the wing (and I doubt he will all that much when the Ox comes back). We've got an easy enough qualifying group for the Euros and I'd personally be a little disappointed if we didn't begin with a bunch that'd grow through that period together for the majority. The likes of Flanagan, Sterling, Stones, Shaw, Lallana, Barkley, Ward-Prowse, Chambers, Chamberlain, Walcott, Sturridge are fantastic prospects from an England perspective and letting them play together throughout that time would do us more good than bad, in my opinion.

This exit has felt nowhere near as bleak as four years ago, whether that's through the football we've played or low expectation - I've no idea. Keep Roy but he has to learn from the mistakes he's made this tournament, throw caution to the wind and let the kids dick a piss easy Euro qualifying campaign.

Never liked him tbh, he just looks like he doesn't have a clue anymore.

Qualification was poor tbh, we only beat the teams we expected to beat, while the rest were draws which to be honest wasn't good enough, while now at the World Cup he has got his tactics all wrong. 

Some of the players aren't good enough, while Hodgson himself isn't good enough, change needed, bring back Sven.

Never liked him tbh, he just looks like he doesn't have a clue anymore.

Qualification was poor tbh, we only beat the teams we expected to beat, while the rest were draws which to be honest wasn't good enough, while now at the World Cup he has got his tactics all wrong. 

Some of the players aren't good enough, while Hodgson himself isn't good enough, change needed, bring back Sven.

We beat every single side but Ukraine.

We qualified, so clearly it was.

You don't half talk some shit

We beat every single side but Ukraine.

We qualified, so clearly it was.

You don't half talk some shit

Well drawing against Montenegro, Ukraine & Poland were poor results. 

Forgot we beat Montenegro at home, knew we beat Poland at home though.

Had a long day.

Obviously you have't looked at the home records of those teams then.

Qualification was fine. Can't do more than top your group.

Wasn't convincing enough, like at this World Cup the team was very average at times.

England are average, there is nothing fine or good about them.

Yes really

As long as you expect England to walk every single qualification group (be it ECs or WCs), you can only be disappointed.

"Not convincing enough". lol

From what I recall, other nations do play decent football, too.

Hodgson has to go. 

As much as the players have been disappointing, the blame starts with him. 

Our defence is shit, the worst it has been in my lifetime and what does Roy the Boy do? Leaves our two best defenders at home. Cole and Terry. Terry may have said he is retired from international football but you bust a gut and try and talk him around, yeah he might of been a **** to Wayne Bridge but I couldn't care less who he is shagging if it means he plays for his country.

Gerrard and Henderson have come off the back of a fantastic season, they have been the best two English central midfielders in England but they played in a three, Gerrard protecting the back four, Henderson had a partner in closing the ball down and giving it simple. Roy plays them in a two, completely exposes them against top class opposition. 

Sterling and Rooney. Rooney is a striker, a good striker when played in the right position, one who has always scored goals. What does Roy do? Plays him left wing or behind the striker, that isn't his ****ing position! Sterling, Sterling took the Premier League by storm at the back end of the season, scoring goals, making goals and terrifying defences and the best defences in the League. Roy sees that, gives him the role v Italy, if I'm not mistaken, for the first time in history this country all seemed to agree that Sterling was the best player v Italy and the only one who gave the Italians any fear.. So in a must win game (a draw wouldn't of been so bad) what does Roy Hodgson do? Moves Sterling to the wing, restricting him and limiting his game, to then put another player out of position in Rooney. 

He wanted to play like Liverpool he said because of the players in the squad and side, well then play like Liverpool did and set up like Liverpool did. As much as I go on about the diamond, Liverpool effectively played a 3-5-2 through much of the season.. When we had the ball we set up like this, which freed Gerrard. 

Skrtel ---- Agger

Johnson ----------------- Gerrard ------------ Flanagan

Henderson -------- Allen

Sterling

Sturridge ------ Suarez

Gerrard dropped into the back line to recieve the ball, remember his positioning with the Chelsea slip? Gerrard did that so it split his centre halves, which pushed his full backs to wing backs, Baines is one of the best over lapping fullbacks around, a bit like Neville was for Man United, yet the current system under Roy restricted him from doing so. 

Common sense would tell me, if I had 5 club players for my international side, I would then play the system that they are most used to playing, surely? 

The man has to go, he isn't good enough to be England manager, he isn't coaching players, he is simply restricting them and holding back their development. Time for Gary Neville to come in and take over, completely restructure the England side from top to bottom. 

Hodgson needs to go, Gerrard needs to retire, Rooney needs playing in his actual position, Jagielka needs to go, Johnson needs killing, Joe Hart needs the captaincy and I need a bowl of coco pops, i'm hungover to ****. 

I don't know why you're so obsessed with playing 'the Liverpool way' when we don't have Suarez and all 5 Liverpool starters were absolute pony.

As long as you expect England to walk every single qualification group (be it ECs or WCs), you can only be disappointed.

"Not convincing enough". lol

From what I recall, other nations do play decent football, too.

The group wasn't really that difficult though, compared to some others.

We would of been edging games, against the likes of Ukraine, Montenegro & Poland away in previous qualification campaigns.

Just an average team, with average players.

Manwell wants Hodgson out, and I'm sure it's not just because of this World Cup.

Archived