Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Youngy shunned by BBC

Personally, I'd have loved to see Youngy stick in his job. The local radio is exactly that. Unlike some, I don't really care a shite if it's brilliant commentary. I don't tune in on a Saturday afternoon to listen to in depth analysis and excellent reporting. I genuinely don't care. What I do want is someone who doesn't bore me to tears, pretty much says it how he sees it and is genuinely passionate about his local team.

Alan Young ticks all those boxes for me.

If the Beeb want to go for someone they feel is more in-tune with their listeners, I think they've made a mistake.

The country is going too politically correct. We have to be excellent this and excellent that. We can't be too outrageous or opinionated on anything, in case someone finds offence. However, As far as I can see, we are fast becoming excellent at pretty much fook all.

Youngy is individual, one on his own.. Let him keep doing what he's been doing. Personally, I find him refreshingly old-hat at a time when I am becoming ever more bored of the tedium of having to have someone who's supposedly great at something. The next new kid on the block. I'd let him stay and continue his tomfoolery with Stringer, who, though he aggravates me, I think is pretty much ok.

How can I put this? In a world that has become so serious on itself, of quick fixes, short-termism and arse-covering, I find the 'Youngy and Stringer show' refreshingly corny. It's like listening to something from the 70's. Good, say I. Let's have more corny and a bit less 'excellent', especially for a show where I just want to casually listen.

Personally, I'd have loved to see Youngy stick in his job. The local radio is exactly that. Unlike some, I don't really care a shite if it's brilliant commentary. I don't tune in on a Saturday afternoon to listen to in depth analysis and excellent reporting. I genuinely don't care. What I do want is someone who doesn't bore me to tears, pretty much says it how he sees it and is genuinely passionate about his local team.

If the Beeb want to go for someone they feel is more in-tune with their listeners, I think they've made a mistake.

The country is going too politically correct. We have to be excellent this and excellent that. We can't be too outrageous or opinionated on anything, in case someone finds offence. However, As far as I can see, we are fast becoming excellent at pretty much fook all.

Youngy is individual, one on his own.. Let him keep doing what he's been doing. Personally, I find him refreshingly old-hat at a time when I am becoming ever more bored of the tedium of having to have someone who's supposedly great at something. The next new kid on the block. I'd let him stay and continue his tomfoolery with Stringer, who, though he aggravates me, I think is pretty much ok.

No matter how some people like Alan Young, he's been sacked from his job. We'll probably never know the true circumstances, but I wouldn't want to dig too deep myself.

Some people are smart enough to work it out themselves.

It might be because of a well-known personal problem or they had one terrible fallout.

My main gripe isn't with Young, whom I consider to be a bit like Marmite - either you like him or you don't. I found him more often than not irritating and not adding a great amount of insight.

I would never question his passion and commitment, though.

I'm more at odds with the BBC's hiring and firing policy (especially the latter in this case) and what I consider a bit of a disrespectful way of parting ways with Young and communicating that rather poorly in advance.

However, they've been quite gracious talking about the decision on tonight's Phone-In.

No matter how some people like Alan Young, he's been sacked from his job. We'll probably never know the true circumstances, but I wouldn't want to dig too deep myself.

Some people are smart enough to work it out themselves.

It might be because of a well-known personal problem or they had one terrible fallout.

My main gripe isn't with Young, whom I consider to be a bit like Marmite - either you like him or you don't. I found him more often than not irritating and not adding a great amount of insight.

I would never question his passion and commitment, though.

I'm more at odds with the BBC's hiring and firing policy (especially the latter in this case) and what I consider a bit of a disrespectful way of parting ways with Young and communicating that rather poorly in advance.

However, they've been quite gracious talking about the decision on tonight's Phone-In.

quite a decent summary

To keep it brief. This is local radio and not motd. Standards will be lower. If you have listened to other local radio stations, yes they may be considered to be 'more professional' but it is a tad boring. And there are a lot worse commentators and co commentators out there. Stringer and Young have a fantastic working partnership. They work brilliantly together. They are entertaining. They keep you engaged with their random nonsense (see the quote in my sig for a classic stringer moment - this was after Marshall had belted in an absolute screamer. Doesn't ask about the goal...). What they do works well. Who would you rather have? Phil Neville???

Much like Bert and Babylon, I have been told allegedly his conduct around the club has been arrogant and pig headed to the point of upsetting people. Therefore there has been an indication that they would not be happy with him attending next season.

How can I put this? In a world that has become so serious on itself, of quick fixes, short-termism and arse-covering, I find the 'Youngy and Stringer show' refreshingly corny. It's like listening to something from the 70's. Good, say I. Let's have more corny and a bit less 'excellent', especially for a show where I just want to casually listen.

Brilliant post - I fully agree.

Much like Bert and Babylon, I have been told allegedly his conduct around the club has been arrogant and pig headed to the point of upsetting people. Therefore there has been an indication that they would not be happy with him attending next season.

The chap interviewed this evening said this was a BBC decision and nothing to do with LCFC.

Youngy will get his meeting, and a statement agreeing to part company mutually. Young will save face, the 'protestors' will be pacified and RL can move on having appeared to give clarity to Youngy.

I get the impression you don't like Mr Young very much.

I wouldnt say that. I never wanted him to lose his job. I just felt he was never a true Leicester fan before he was paid to commentate, so the "passion" seemed false to me. I've heard more than enough stories of his arrogance towards fans and seen enough evidence of his inflated ego (including when i met him) to know how much things went to his head too.

"I feel like my relationship with the club is damaged by this" or something along those lines with the Mercury says it all.

I wouldnt say that. I never wanted him to lose his job. I just felt he was never a true Leicester fan before he was paid to commentate, so the "passion" seemed false to me. I've heard more than enough stories of his arrogance towards fans and seen enough evidence of his inflated ego (including when i met him) to know how much things went to his head too.

"I feel like my relationship with the club is damaged by this" or something along those lines with the Mercury says it all.

you missed the only interesting thing out, what happened when you met him?

I've heard enough stories about the Dalai Lama to know he's an aggressive little shìt (including when I met him).

As someone else eluded to, he's really making a tit of himself now, He needs to shut up, move on and take it on the chin. Plenty of self-employed contractors don't have their contracts renewed or extended on a daily basis, why do the BBC even need to give a reason if his contract has expired? such a non-news item and AY is increasingly coming accross as a mardy kid who's had his sweets taken off him.

quite a decent summary

quite a decent summary

quite a decent summary

Absolutely - the BBC have acted shabbily and their timing on the eve of a new Premiership season is heartless and insensitive. Doesn't surprise me though. They're a judgemental lot but about as shallow as a Saharan stream. Sincerity has never been their strong point. On reflection, I'm not sure they even have a strong point...apart from being our only local option in terms of City coverage, which is more lamentable than something to celebrate.

Absolutely - the BBC have acted shabbily and their timing on the eve of a new Premiership season is heartless and insensitive. Doesn't surprise me though. They're a judgemental lot but about as shallow as a Saharan stream. Sincerity has never been their strong point. On reflection, I'm not sure they even have a strong point...apart from being our only local option in terms of City coverage, which is more lamentable than something to celebrate.

It amazes me the amount of people who have jumped to this conclusion and have some kind of hate campaign against the BBC like they owe AY the red carpet treatment?

Plus no one has a scooby do why he was sacked

Lets not argue whether the bbc are bad or not, as there is no argument, the bbc are s*#t I stopped watching tv and got rid of my tv so I didnt need to pay tv licence. And the bar stuards still took me to cort for £200.

So its not just a rant about bbc give him his job back and put a ban on him from talking to anyone fron lcfc then he cant piss them off, and if he is arrogant after this he may wind his neck in

Archived