Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Corky

League 1, 2 & JPT 2015-16

They don't seem to have progressed and haven't won in about 7 games. Smith had Walsall in the top two before he left and now they are only 4 points clear of 7th.

yet still in with a chance of promotion. Not like they've totally imploded and fvcked their season up overall.

Bit of trouble at St James' Park. Not totally sure but the game has been stopped and the Stagecoach stand evacuated due to a smoke (reported fire?)... The stand is one of very few wooden stands still left in the football league.

The Under-21 sides of Premier League clubs could be set to join the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, according to the Telegraph.

It is also believed that they are demanding the sides be ‘Under-21’ and not simply a second XI of their respective Premier League team.The Football League is currently negotiating with the Premier League on this idea, but it is believed that in return for participation in the competition, the governing body of England’s second, third and fourth tier will ask for payments towards the youth setups of clubs in Leagues One and Two.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/premier-league-under-21-sides-could-play-in-the-johnstones-paint-trophy/

Not keen on this idea at all, regardless of the decent away game potential. Beginning of a slippery slope...

I'm absolutely all for Youth being given a chance in competitive games. It's a massive yes from me.

That's what the loan system is there for. This is just going to encourage bigger clubs to continue hoarding young talent on the off chance they might turn out to be decent players. Then before you know it we've got Premier League B teams in the lower leagues due to the alleged "success" of this idea.

think it's a rubbish idea. supporting a shit team is quite often shit. you're gonna finish 13th in league two. there's 2k of you every week and you're in away ends smaller than school assemblies. you've just seen your team lose 4-0 in the rain in an open away end 300 miles away and you just can't be arsed anymore. but there's a small bit of hope, the jpt. we could be going wembley in a few weeks instead of luton away. it's a pretty big deal for these shit teams. give them one small chance of glory instead of the mundane 0-0 draw at yeovil, don't give fu cking man united's u21 B team's trialists a chance to play at wembley in front of nobody because actual man utd are playing arsenal the same day. piss off. 

That's what the loan system is there for. This is just going to encourage bigger clubs to continue hoarding young talent on the off chance they might turn out to be decent players. Then before you know it we've got Premier League B teams in the lower leagues due to the alleged "success" of this idea.

This is hardly going to out people off from using the loan system.

We have an U21 squad, we don't ship them all out on loan as it is. Have the lads that can't find a side to go to on loan a chance in some meaningful games rather than these pointless U21 games played on the training field.

This is hardly going to out people off from using the loan system.

We have an U21 squad, we don't ship them all out on loan as it is. Have the lads that can't find a side to go to on loan a chance in some meaningful games rather than these pointless U21 games played on the training field.

As Scouse says though, that's not really the point of the competition is it? Smacks of big club arrogance to just assume our youngsters deserve a kickabout in something that might actually mean something to lower league fans.

As Scouse says though, that's not really the point of the competition is it? Smacks of big club arrogance to just assume our youngsters deserve a kickabout in something that might actually mean something to lower league fans.

That's the clear counter argument. But for me, we should be treating our young players to as much competitive football as possible. 

That's the clear counter argument. But for me, we should be treating our young players to as much competitive football as possible. 

Then we need to look at the deeper issues as to why they're not, the aforementioned hoarding of young talent, rather than giving big clubs another leg-up on the minnows.

Glad to see Burton are still keeping their promotion push dream alive - six points ahead of second-placed Wigan and... Walsall!

Next year's Championship could look rather odd, with Villa likely to play a few more derbies than they probably hoped for. Coventry keep on knocking on the playoff places' door.

Then we need to look at the deeper issues as to why they're not, the aforementioned hoarding of young talent, rather than giving big clubs another leg-up on the minnows.

It's not really a leg up. I highly doubt that the likes of Man United are desperate to land the JPT.

It's not really a leg up. I highly doubt that the likes of Man United are desperate to land the JPT.

Then why enter it? That's not letting them be "competitive" if you don't care about winning the thing is it?

By leg-up I meant giving them a chance to blood their hoarded players to keep them sweet and within the set-up, *just in case* they come good, rather than letting them have a chance at finding their own way in the game before they hit their mid twenties (a la the likes of Drinkwater etc).

it's just pointless. why piss the smaller clubs off just so the few bigger fish could maybe end up getting a player to improve? at least loaning them out to smaller clubs gives the little guys a bit of fun in the meantime and they can all look back on that month harry kane, ballon d'or winner 2018 spent on their clubs bench at yeovil away etc.

The issue with loans is that from next season FIFA have banned the use of 'emergency loans' - no more one to three month spells out of the transfer windows.

Entry to the JPT isn't going to solve the lack of game time big club kids receive as a result though is it. You're talking a couple of games a month at most.

Entry to the JPT isn't going to solve the lack of game time big club kids receive as a result though is it. You're talking a couple of games a month at most.

I agree regards the JPT but there's going to be a problem next season for lower league clubs being unable to loan players in when required and it's going to hold back players too. How many of those loan deals do we see go from a month into a season long? Therefore giving great exposure to a lad whose been stockpiled by his big club.

I agree regards the JPT but there's going to be a problem next season for lower league clubs being unable to loan players in when required and it's going to hold back players too. How many of those loan deals do we see go from a month into a season long? Therefore giving great exposure to a lad whose been stockpiled by his big club.

I completely agree. The bigger clubs and governing bodies should be spending their time countering this ruling rather than looking at such a flimsy solution.

Far too much hoarding going on. The under 21s just make more need for hoarding. Any need why we still have Jacob Blyth for instance? He should have been released 2 or 3 years ago and building his career in a league two team. Instead, he jumps from team to team on loan getting no stability whilst safe in knowledge that he is still contracted to Leicester City.

Drinkwater said the loans didn't really help him because he knew he was still a Man Utd player. It wasn't until he left them for good did it give him that impetus. Likewise I don't think reserve (under 21) football for Chelsea did Muzzy Izzet all that good when he was 20/21.

I say have an under 17s and under 19s league. Also, have a limit on how many players you can loan out at one time, let's say 5. Big teams aren't going to hoard as much then now are they. Players of age 20-22 can then find a new permanent club much quicker and build their way up. The club that trained them as a youth can be compensated in some way. Maybe get a % of future transfer fee.

Failing that, just have a limit on how many players can be loaned out (5). Thus, the better standard under 21 teams will be. However, it will slow the growth of players down as they need to be playing against men so I prefer the above idea.

Far too much hoarding going on. The under 21s just make more need for hoarding. Any need why we still have Jacob Blyth for instance? He should have been released 2 or 3 years ago and building his career in a league two team. Instead, he jumps from team to team on loan getting no stability whilst safe in knowledge that he is still contracted to Leicester City.

Drinkwater said the loans didn't really help him because he knew he was still a Man Utd player. It wasn't until he left them for good did it give him that impetus. Likewise I don't think reserve (under 21) football for Chelsea did Muzzy Izzet all that good when he was 20/21.

I say have an under 17s and under 19s league. Also, have a limit on how many players you can loan out at one time, let's say 5. Big teams aren't going to hoard as much then now are they. Players of age 20-22 can then find a new permanent club much quicker and build their way up. The club that trained them as a youth can be compensated in some way. Maybe get a % of future transfer fee.

Failing that, just have a limit on how many players can be loaned out (5). Thus, the better standard under 21 teams will be. However, it will slow the growth of players down as they need to be playing against men so I prefer the above idea.

I know what you're getting at there but without an under-21 side surely our fringe players (such as Liam Moore) won't be doing anything. They won't be playing or getting fit. Literally turning up for training and that's it.

Archived