Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
copunk

Mahrez or Knockeart?

We are playing most peoples bet of Premiership champions , My guess is a far more defensive formation against Chelsea ,  

Doubtful that both Mahrez and Knockeart will start,

My choice would be Mahrez , he looks so much stronger on the ball !

Guest LCFC_World

Both are fantastic players with great potential, but it has to be Mahrez. So skillfull on the ball, whereas Knockaert doesn't seem as confident, but I'm hoping that he will grow to be more confident as the season goes on.

For Chelsea, got to play Mahrez throughout, with the other two sharing a berth until one of them's fully fit.

Knockaert gets so much shit on here, despite putting in numerous great performances last year. He annoys me immensely, and regularly, but he's also capable of things other players aren't, Mahrez included. Two goals and half the people writing here will be 'holding their hands up'-why not keep it shut till you've seen whether your opinion's worth anything? Knocky will have a big role to play this year, to write him off after one part-fit game is ridiculous...

Mahrez is a better player.

Knockaert is capable of doing brilliant things, but he's a bit too reckless. We were punished for it against Man City in December and we were punished for it on Saturday.

Mahrez probably doesn't cover the same amount of ground, but he is a superb talent. I am convinced he'll play for a side in the Europa League regularly if not better.

Well those slagging off Vardy and Drinkwater at the start of last season looked clever, didn't they? I'm sure Knocky has it in them to prove the nonsensical doubters wrong, too.

There's no doubting Mahrez can at times be a more tangible threat with his pace and direct approach, but that's not to say that Knockaert offers nothing. They are different types of players with differing qualities. For me, Knockaert is the sort of player you need in your team to keep the other team guessing. Must be a nightmare for fullbacks. Knockaert gives them that extra something to think about which opens up the space for the likes of Mahrez and Vardy to exploit the channels with their pace. 

Not sure why I ever expected the average Foxestalk member to think logically, but please bear in mind that football is much more complex than purely picking players on the ability of one player Vs. the next. It is about what a player can bring to a team. You could have 11 Danny Drinkwater clones. Arguably our best player, but I wouldn't play all 11 of him, because it wouldn't work. You'd only pick one of him, to do the role he is so good at. Riyad does what he does well, and Knocky does what he does well. Both contribute to the success of the team.

For **** sake get off the lad's back. Love a moan, don't we? Pathetic.

You have to love Knockaert's passion for playing. Mahrez has awesome vision for a pass (see the ball through to Schlupp against Everton). Albrighton looked more than capable in some of the friendlies.

I wouldn't have a problem with any combination of two from those three (at the moment, probably Mahrez plus one other) if we play with two wingers or all three behind Ulloa if we play one up top (but then you have to factor Nugent in to play the deeper central role if you do that). I suspect, though, that we would ideally play a more defensive team against Chelsea away - if everyone was fit, I would not have been surprised to see Hammond (or King) start with James and Drinkwater, with say Mahrez and Nugent behind Ulloa. I don't know if we have the personnel to do that with current injuries. King and Hammond will start, I could see a surprise three centre-backs and/or maybe Schlupp starting on the left with instructions to stay disciplined (he would probably track back better than either of Knocky or Riyad).

Guest MattP

Mahrez looks a far superior talent to Knockaert so should get the starting gig.

Knocky could be a very decent impact sub.

Easily Mahrez. I’m surprised more hasn’t been made of his contribution to our equalising goal last week.

He picks up the ball on the wing, beats Baines, turns Gareth Barry on his arse and sets up the chance for King which finally falls for Wood.

I would play Schlupp on the other wing. I thought he changed the game on Saturday with his pace, and his ability to turn defence into attack. Also his defensive attributes will be needed against Chelsea.

Albrighton on the bench.  Knockaert sur la plage.

Easily Mahrez. I’m surprised more hasn’t been made of his contribution to our equalising goal last week.

He picks up the ball on the wing, beats Baines, turns Gareth Barry on his arse and sets up the chance for King which finally falls for Wood.

I would play Schlupp on the other wing. I thought he changed the game on Saturday with his pace, and his ability to turn defence into attack. Also his defensive attributes will be needed against Chelsea.

Albrighton on the bench.  Knockaert sur la plage.

Leicester has some great beaches

Albrighton is a different player to Mahrez and Knockaert. He will stay wide and get crosses in from the bi line whereas the other 2 tend to drift in field. This is why they both prefer to play on the right. Albrighton can deliver a great cross more consistently in my opinion and shouldn't be underrated.I think he will become an important player for us. Getting to the bi-line is also why his assist tally is and will always be greater than his goal tally.

I'd rest Knockaert and let him learn from the bench the greater importance of keeping possession in the premier league. He needs to make better decisions more often without losing the creativity that makes him the player he is and this will come as he matures. Mahrez brings greater composure and feints brilliantly dropping the shoulder and using his body to enable him to drift past players with slight increases in pace only. 

Over 90 minutes, Mahrez will keep possession better and burn much fewer calories meaning he can still be efficient late in the game whereas Knockaert burns himself out after 60 minutes. his endeavour is great but often wasted. He needs to know when to press and when to allow the opposition to have the ball. He also needs to learn that tearing at players at full speed will rarely result in a successful tackle as a turn by the ball holder is easy against a player with so much forward momentum.

I have a feeling though that Mahrez could be a great player for a BIG club in the future and I also think Albrighton is under-rated. Knockaert has potential to succeed and become a great player but equally to fail and fall by the wayside. If he carries on working with the current coaching team, I think it will be the former as he does have a great attitude from what I've seen and heard.

The thing that frustrates me about Nugent is is lack of first touch. it just bounces off him. I have no confidence he can trap the ball, bring it out his feet and lay it off. Got tackled so much on saturday and he needs to hold onto it better

You talk so much shit about Knockaert it's not even worth getting into but again I will say this:

Mahrez and Knockaert rotated between the wings on Saturday and Mahrez offered no better protection for de Laet than Knockaert did. The one goal (one) which came from open play down that side came with Knockaert very much in the picture, tracking back and helping de Laet, but he slipped at a critical moment.

There's no hiding from the fact that he didn't have a good game on Saturday but describing it as one so poor that you think you'd get a development player in ahead of him for Saturday smacks of something of an agenda.

Personally I'd play Mahrez on Saturday (I think we all would) but you are, yet again, going completely overboard in your criticism.

As somebody else said a couple of weeks ago it will be interesting to see if Mahrez is as successful in six months' time.

Mahrez was partially at fault for the first one as he didn't track the runner which brought about the corner I think.

I'd be worried if he was a striker with those figures but it's well known that he's the 'creator' type.

I wish he'd create more then, he causes people problems but end product wise he's lacking at the minute, that's where Mahrez is so far ahead currently.

If you look at the stats of players who played more than 10 games in the Premier League last season, only five players created more chances per minute than Marc Albrighton (David Silva, Willian, Samir Nasri, Juan Mata & Mesut Ozil). He also delivered more crosses per minute than any other player who started a Premier League game.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11662/9427945/the-science-of-scouting-signings

That's great, but it's also manipulated.

I wish he'd create more then, he causes people problems but end product wise he's lacking at the minute, that's where Mahrez is so far ahead currently.

I was talking about Albrighton

We have played just one match back in the Premier League after a ten year absence, of course there were bound to be nerves. Anthony Knockaert gives his all and yes, he is frustrating at times, but he is a game changer. Riyad Mahrez clearly has class in abundance and will only grow as a player over the years. Yes, I agree, that perhaps Riyad is the more complete player at present but we are talking about two lads in their early twenties. Marc Albrighton is a great signing for us and I remember when he was tipped to be a full England international before his bad injury a couple of seasons ago. He is safe hands at our club and I am sure he will thrive in the 11 shirt. He is an out and out winger. Riyad is probably the more recognised winger between him and Anthony but what is to say Nigel won't play all three?

Even if Cambiasso joins today or tomorrow, he probably won't be match fit for a start, Danny and Matty are both out injured until next week most probably so we could play five across the middle. Who knows apart from Nigel?

Instead of worrying we should be excited about the prospect of these players being in our squad. I think knowing Anthony's record since joining us, he may play a blinder against a team like Chelsea. Too early to start writing people off. 

Archived