Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Stoke City Pre Match

It's all about picking the team best equipped to carry out your game plan against your next opposition. If that's your best 11 players then so be it, play them. If it's other players such as King, Nuge etc then again play them.

I'm not of the opinion that you can't drop players when they have played well. I think Hammond and players like that realise what their role in the squad is. No room for sentiment in the prem imo

Got a feeling this will be a tough match as we will have to try and force the issue a lot more in this game and so Stoke will have more gaps to exploit then Chelsea and arsenal had. Think we will create chances but ultimately will pay the price for not being clinical enough.

Stoke 2 - 0 Leicester

Plenty of options to choose from, players like Wasilewski, James, Hammond, Knockaert, Albrighton, Powell, Lawrence and Wood probably won't even make the bench some games. 

Stoke have improved from their long balls antics, to more of a passing team who are willing to play instead of lumping it to the likes of Crouch. Might be the first ideal game to play a 4-5-1 but I can see us playing a 4-4-1-1 with Nugent or Powell dropping back into midfield to help. 

Schmeichel

De Laet - Morgan - Moore - Konchesky

Mahrez - King - Drinkwater - Schlupp

Nugent

Ulloa

Subs - Hamer, Simpson, Cambiasso, Hammond, Albrighton, Powell, Vardy

Agree with the minority, football history is littered with teams who have kept in inferior players just to keep a 'winnning team' - imo you put out your best side if you can.

(4-3-2-1)

Kasper

RDL

Moore

Morgan ©

Konch

Drinkwater

James

Cambiasso

Mahrez

Vardy

Ulloa

Subs: Nugent, Hamer, Hammond, King, Schulpp, Marcin, Knocky, Albrighton

As well as King has started this season, I've never been comfortable having him in midfield away in the championship nevermind now. If Drinkwater is to come back in we can't partner him with King, who's going to do the dirty work? It needs to be with Hammond if James and Cambiasso aren't ready to start.

I don't recall Drinkwater and Hammond ever starting a match together though.

As well as King has started this season, I've never been comfortable having him in midfield away in the championship nevermind now. If Drinkwater is to come back in we can't partner him with King, who's going to do the dirty work? It needs to be with Hammond if James and Cambiasso aren't ready to start.

King has started brilliantly but I'd still like to see Drinkwater and James. I do feel like King has done the "dirty work" very well though, wins the ball and lays it off

King has started brilliantly but I'd still like to see Drinkwater and James. I do feel like King has done the "dirty work" very well though, wins the ball and lays it off

He's certainly got stuck in more than I've ever seen him do before, but away at Stoke?

No room for sentiment. King and Hammond have done well with injury absences, but you play your best team. I would be very surprised if Cambiasso doesn't start against Stoke. I can maybe see King keeping his place over Drinkwater but I wouldn't be surprised to see Cambiasso and Drinkwater in the middle for us next time out.

It's all about picking the team best equipped to carry out your game plan against your next opposition. If that's your best 11 players then so be it, play them. If it's other players such as King, Nuge etc then again play them.

I'm not of the opinion that you can't drop players when they have played well. I think Hammond and players like that realise what their role in the squad is. No room for sentiment in the prem imo

finally this

now we have a full prem class squad these formation discussions should really focus on "best team to play against the oppo" and not who you like best

please let´s get some info on Stoke how they play and what would best break down their style of play

Hard one this

I'd love Cambiasso to get 90 mins alongside at least one of our midfield before the Utd game though - and I'd love to see James get a run around in the 2nd half to increase our options

Vardy needs to play some part too - he showed in the 83rd min against Arsenal what he's capable of and I think if we can get our midfield even stronger (no disrespect to King or Hammond who've done amazingly well often outnumbered against world class midfields) then the role Nugent is playing (vital at the moment IMO) can be relaxed as we finally are able to play Vardy and Ulloa up front and really scare the opposition's defence

Thing is I'm not sure that time is yet. Right now especially against strong opposition we need someone like Nugent hounding the opponent right from the defence giving them no time to settle into their own style of play

In a prefect world with everything going our way I'd love to start with this formation against Stoke

Kasper

De Laet  Moore  Morgan  Konchesky

Mahrez  Drinkwater Cambiasso  Schluup

Nugent   Ulloa

With these on the bench - Hamer Wasilewski (cant see how people are excluding a CB on the bench), Powell, Albrighton, Simpson, James, Vardy

(feel a little upset having to leave King and Hammond out after all they've done and perhaps but James needs match time)

I'd love to bring James on for Drinkwater to get our two best midfield players from last season getting game time with Cambiasso to form a better understanding of each other's game and bring on Vardy who'll hopefully score and get his confidence up. If possible I'd love to see what Powell can do too (although I am keen to see Lawrence making some appearances soon too)

What I really think however is we'll see the tried and tested formation we've seen in the last few games with possibly just Drinkwater coming in instead of one of the two midfielders and that our newer signings will get more and more game time in the 2nd half of the next few matches

Maybe NP will get opportunity to experiment tonight ...

Maybe there is nothing sentimental about playing King. Maybe he's shown he's completely at home at this level and is currently one of our best options in the middle of the park. 

The boy has been fantastic so far. I'd certainly be very surprised to see him not in our XI at Stoke.

I can't help but crave for the 3 partnerships down the spine of last season again: Moore & Morgan, Drinky & James and Nugent & Vardy. All three partnerships were potent and lethal and if love to see all 6 of them play again at the BS, especially with the midfield and attacking players.

I know we may have stronger individual talent (Cambiasso, Ulloa, etc.) but it's a team game and I think those partnerships are the best I reckon. We can always bring on the likes is Cambiasso, Hammond, Ulloa and Powell for effective as or to see the game out if needs be, but I really think it's a good idea to see the classic spine again of last season.

Really does frustrate me how underrated Nugent is. He misses a one on one at the bridge and suddenly he's not good enough. Keep him in instead of Vardy for now, his nouse and intelligence up front as well as his link up play is really important to our play. I'd go with

Schmeichel

RDL

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

Mahrez

King

Hammond

Schlupp

Nugent

Ulloa

Subs: Hamer, Wasyl, Drinkwater, Cambiasso, Vardy, Albrighton, Powell

As he has not had a pre season yes why not.

I doubt he could manage 90 mins and rather bring him on when Nige wants to than have to take him off cos he has an empty tank.

http://www.mkdons.com/news/article/dons-to-host-foxes-friendly-1889526.aspx

Friendly tonight at MK Don's, wonder if any of our new players will be playing

Or even quicker lol lol

SCHMEICHEL

DE LAET      MOORE      MORGAN      SCHLUPP

CAMBIASSO

DRINKWATER

MAHREZ                                        KNOCKAERT

VARDY

ULLOA

SUBS: HAMER, ,WAS, SIMPSON, KING, POWELL, NUGENT, WOOD

*CHUCK LAWRENCE IN THE DEVELOPMENT SQUAD FOR A FEW MONTHS TO SORT HIS BIG EGO OUT*

so what are stokes strengthes and weaknesses ?

NP will need a starting formation and a second option (using subs)

same back four solid not much to change there (Simpon could be brought on for RDL to try him out)

other options:

1 - defensive blocking midfield (counter attack) - chosing from Cambiasso, Drinky, King, Hammond, James (if fit) with Vardy/Ulloa lone man  4-2-3-1

2 - attacking going wide aerial - 2 holding midfield Cambiasso n Drinky + chosing from Mahrez, Schlupp and now Lawrence and Nuge /Powell  with Ulloa lone man 4-4-2

3 - attacking straight down their throat on the ground - same 2 holding mid + chosing from King, Mahrez, Lawrence, Powell, Nuge, Vardy maybe a 4-3-3

oh the delight of such a full squad - personally I would start 1 the switch to 3

but I have no idea if stoke are susceptible to the aerial wide game ?

thoughts?

Archived