Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Stoke City Pre Match

I think our fans have got to come to terms with the fact we now have a decent sized squad and not everyone can play. We don't necessarily know our best XI yet, we might think we do on paper but it's got to be played out. Nigel loathes to make too many changes, they come from injury, suspension or poor performance/defeats. Drinkwater, Cambiasso and Vardy are all vying for starts, Simpson and Albrighton won't have come here to be bit part players either.

I suppose right now the places immediately up for grabs are central midfield and Nugent but they've been doing a decent job so it's unfair to just cast them aside.

Cambiasso and/or Drinkwater must start for me though. I feel Dean Hammond could get embroiled in a battle with some of Stoke's physical players and his disciplinary record is suspect. Drinkwater and King together hasn't worked that well in the past but that would be the partnership I'd go with as King has been superb so far and no way should be dropped. The decision then is, do we need an extra sitting midfielder in Esteban and if so then Nugent would have to drop out.

Real dilemma in midfield, and there's room for debate on which of our forwards should be starting, but otherwise the team pretty much picks itself.

I'd go with Drinkwater and Cambiasso in midfield. Drinkwater is our best midfielder, and Cambiasso has a level of quality we haven't seen in a long while at the club. I think those two will compliment each other very well. Harsh to drop King and Hammond, but King will be coming back from international duty (okay, it's 1 match in Andorra, but still...), and Cambiasso is simply put better than Hammond. Wouldn't be too dissapointed to see a midfield 3 though, but I think changing formation as well as personnel will be a bit too much.

Up front, I'd keep Ulloa and Nugent, and see how we go. We know Vardy has an incredible turn of pace, and the Stoke defenders aren't the quickest, but in a fixture like this I think he'd be far better as an impact sub. We shouldn't have to defend as much as in previous games, so we'll be able to spend more time building up attacks (rather than just hitting them on the counter) and I think Nuge will be better in that scenario. Ulloa has to start for me, he's been fantastic so far and I can't see him being dropped, especially as he's building an understanding with Nuge and the other players.

So I'd go for:

Schmeichel

RDL     Moore     Morgan     Konchesky

Cambiasso             

Mahrez                 Drinkwater          Schlupp

Nugent             

Ulloa

Nugent just behind Ulloa, Cambiasso just behind DD.

Subs: Hamer, Simpson, Wasyl, King, Hammond, Knockaert/Albrighton, Vardy

Edit: If Vardy came on, I'd change the front two to be a flat front two

Real dilemma in midfield, and there's room for debate on which of our forwards should be starting, but otherwise the team pretty much picks itself.

I'd go with Drinkwater and Cambiasso in midfield. Drinkwater is our best midfielder, and Cambiasso has a level of quality we haven't seen in a long while at the club. I think those two will compliment each other very well. Harsh to drop King and Hammond, but King will be coming back from international duty (okay, it's 1 match in Andorra, but still...), and Cambiasso is simply put better than Hammond. Wouldn't be too dissapointed to see a midfield 3 though, but I think changing formation as well as personnel will be a bit too much.

Up front, I'd keep Ulloa and Nugent, and see how we go. We know Vardy has an incredible turn of pace, and the Stoke defenders aren't the quickest, but in a fixture like this I think he'd be far better as an impact sub. We shouldn't have to defend as much as in previous games, so we'll be able to spend more time building up attacks (rather than just hitting them on the counter) and I think Nuge will be better in that scenario. Ulloa has to start for me, he's been fantastic so far and I can't see him being dropped, especially as he's building an understanding with Nuge and the other players.

So I'd go for:

Schmeichel

RDL     Moore     Morgan     Konchesky

Cambiasso             

Mahrez                 Drinkwater          Schlupp

Nugent             

Ulloa

Nugent just behind Ulloa, Cambiasso just behind DD.

Subs: Hamer, Simpson, Wasyl, King, Hammond, Knockaert/Albrighton, Vardy

Edit: If Vardy came on, I'd change the front two to be a flat front two

No Powell or Lawrence let alone James?? Christ we've a strong side

No Powell or Lawrence let alone James?? Christ we've a strong side

James is still injured I believe, and I must admit I'd forgotten about Powell and Lawrence... That makes it an even tougher choice, then. 

We could still do with some better defensive backup in January, but our midfield and forward options really are fantastic.

It would be interesting to see if King or Drinky could play the Nugent type role in a 4231 playing a little deeper but with license to get forward.

King is the better finisher of the two and will win the ball more often but Drinky will drive it forwards more and play that killer pass. The other being paired with Cambiasso or Hammond in the 2.

It all depends on Stoke I feel like their midfield will sit back and stop us playing on the break so I think we will need someone like Drinky to dictate the play further forwards. N'zonzi and Whelan will not be getting forwards much and will try and stop whoever plays that 10 and their centre backs will have a field day if we try and play it in the air as good as Ulloa is they will cut out the supply to him. They may be a bit more cultured going forward but they are still a big powerful unit at the back. We won't get in behind them much, we won't go over them so we are going to have to play it through and this is where Drinky is key and if fit Csmbiasso too. Mahrez and Knocky cutting in with Vardy playing on the shoulder would be my preference over Albrighton and Schlupp getting down the line and whipping balls in for Ulloa.

But I have no idea what Nige will do I change my line up on a daily basis this 2 week break will give him time to try a few things in training and have a good look at our new boys and plenty of time to review footage of Stoke. In someways I will be disappointed if we line up with the same team again we have a big squad with all sorts of attacking and midfield options and not changing the side because they did well at home to Arsenal is not really appreciating we need to pick a team that will play well away to Stoke.

We can't afford to wait until we play poorly to make changes.

I can't wait another week for the next game, fvcking international break.

It would be interesting to see if King or Drinky could play the Nugent type role in a 4231 playing a little deeper but with license to get forward.

King is the better finisher of the two and will win the ball more often but Drinky will drive it forwards more and play that killer pass. The other being paired with Cambiasso or Hammond in the 2.

It all depends on Stoke I feel like their midfield will sit back and stop us playing on the break so I think we will need someone like Drinky to dictate the play further forwards. N'zonzi and Whelan will not be getting forwards much and will try and stop whoever plays that 10 and their centre backs will have a field day if we try and play it in the air as good as Ulloa is they will cut out the supply to him. They may be a bit more cultured going forward but they are still a big powerful unit at the back. We won't get in behind them much, we won't go over them so we are going to have to play it through and this is where Drinky is key and if fit Csmbiasso too. Mahrez and Knocky cutting in with Vardy playing on the shoulder would be my preference over Albrighton and Schlupp getting down the line and whipping balls in for Ulloa.

But I have no idea what Nige will do I change my line up on a daily basis this 2 week break will give him time to try a few things in training and have a good look at our new boys and plenty of time to review footage of Stoke. In someways I will be disappointed if we line up with the same team again we have a big squad with all sorts of attacking and midfield options and not changing the side because they did well at home to Arsenal is not really appreciating we need to pick a team that will play well away to Stoke.

We can't afford to wait until we play poorly to make changes.

I can't wait another week for the next game, fvcking international break.

I haven't seen their stats but I'm fairly sure Drinky makes quite a lot of tackles per game. Drinky is a decent finisher too.

I'd go with this:

Schmeichel

Ctrl Alt - Moore - Morgan - Konchesky

King - Cambiasso(if fit)

Riyad - Drinky - Schlupp

Leo

It would be unlike Pearson to change a team that played well, but I wonder if he is considering replacing Moore with Marcin to try and combat Stokes Physical presence....

You trying to say Moore is not up to it physically.methinks you aint been watching any of the games.

lets say you are right, then its about time he learnt...

As well as the team has been doing, and how no-one really deserves to lose their place, it will be very interesting to see who plays now that we have quite a big squad. NP doesn't usually change a winning team, but there are several key players returning from injury and new signings now available to start for the first time this season. It will be a new challenge for NP to keep a squad of this size happy and it will be interesting to find out how he deals with it. He must be tempted to re-introduce Drinkwater and Vardy back into the starting XI now they're fit, and to find out whether Cambiasso is fit enough to start yet, and then there's other new arrivals Simpson, Powell and Lawrence to squeeze into the line up somehow. On top of that, James and Upson are yet to return after injury. Even after NP has picked the team to start, he still has to face the daunting task of picking the subs. The squad is big enough now that it's inevitable that a few good players won't even make the bench. That's amazing, really, considering how threadbare the squad was that played Everton.

I hope this week goes fast. This international break is making me think I know exactly how a junkie going cold turkey feels.

I haven't seen their stats but I'm fairly sure Drinky makes quite a lot of tackles per game. Drinky is a decent finisher too.

I'd go with this:

Schmeichel

Ctrl Alt - Moore - Morgan - Konchesky

King - Cambiasso(if fit)

Riyad - Drinky - Schlupp

Leo

Ctrl Alt new player from Brondby??

Based on ability and form I'd go with the following:-

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

Mahrez

Cambiasso

Drinkwater

Schlupp

Vardy

Ulloa

What a team that looks. I'd love us to beat them by 2 or 3 goals. 

You've not gone on form at all... Where is King and Hammond?

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

Mahrez

Drinkwater

Cambiasso

King

Vardy

Ulloa

Hamer, Simpson, Hammond, Schlupp, Nugent, Knockaert, Powell

You trying to say Moore is not up to it physically.methinks you aint been watching any of the games.

lets say you are right, then its about time he learnt...

Watched all three games, thanks.

I'm simply saying Wasilewski is more of a physical presence than moore. And if there is one weapon Stoke has going for them, it's the physical side to their game. Completely different to any of the teams we have faced so far.

I'm not saying Moore has played badly, I'm not saying I want him dropped. Just wondering if Nige is considering changes. That's all, ladies.

Archived