Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Stoke City Pre Match

Sorry... suppose ego was the wrong word. i dont want to judge him and your right i should support him.

Just he was interviewed on sky sports news in a car last night after the transfer had happened and i dont know if it was a bit of arrogance or something but there was something there i didnt like and made me feel that he may think he will walk into the team which i definately dont think will be the case.

It was about 1:30 in the morning, I don't think I'd appreciate having a microphone chucked in front of me in all honesty. 

Kasper

De Laet

Schlupp

Moorep

Morgan

Cambiasso

Drinkwater

King

Mahrez

Vardy

Ulloa

With Cambiasso in front of the defence, should give the freedom to play Schlupp at left wingback.

Also think playing Mahrez and Vardy with Ulloa would cause problems all over Stokes back line.

Still no idea who to put on the bench though....

I know King has played well and people are reluctant to see him dropped but King and Drinkwater aren't midfielders that seem to work well together in a 2 so I think you either play 3 in the middle or play one of King or Drinkwater alongside one of Hammond, Cambiasso or James. So not a difficult decision to make...   :nigel:

Kasper

De Laet Morgan Moore Kochesky

Cambiasso

Mahrez   Drinky    King

Vardy  Ulloa

Really not a clue who to play. Like many I do feel you've got to play Vardy BUT Nugent was outstanding on Sunday and I do believe those two compliment each other BUT you can't drop the THE BIG MAN. Don't get me started on the midfield and if James is fit.., well not a scooby do! At the back it's a lot easier and obviously that is the worry if we get injuries we will struggle . Konch I believe still could be our Achilles heel this season. But credit must go to him for his effort in the last 3 games.

Luckily we've got a lad up in the stand with white trainers and action man hair to make the decision for us.

Oh yes I HATE STOKE to me this is the big one.

I

Kasper

Simpson

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

Cambiasso

Mahrez

Drinkwater

King

Vardy

Ulloa

Subs

Hamer

Wasyl

James

Powell

Knockaert

Albrighton

Nuge

What a bench and it doesn't even include Schlupp, Hammond, De laet, lawrence, Wood, Upson - incredible

I got to say I like this setup and selection.  But I am not sure how you can drop De Laet or Schlupp.  Frankly I am sure NP he won't.  

Same team ofc. We'll tear Stoke a new one. Bring Cambiasso on at 75mins when we're 3 - 0 up, along with Vardy

I think Stoke will be really tough competition, Just ask Man City.  No one can underestimate anyone in this league.  I do think we have the team and tactics to win but let's not treat any team that is not part of the big 6 as cannon fodder.  We would hate for other teams to think of us that way, especially the way we have already shown in the Big Show.

2-1.  Vardy and Mahrez with the goals.

You can't replace Nugent with Vardy. Too many people really don't understand Nugent's contribution to the team.

Why not? He's a better player and completely changes the way the team plays (for the better)

I'd go

Kasper

De Laet

Moore

Morgan

Konchesky

Mahrez

Drinkwater

King

Schlupp

Vardy

Ulloa

No way will Matty James play unless Hammond and cambiasso are injured. He will need a few games to get some match fitness in the U21's

Nigel seems to have decided Konch and jeff are best on the left side. At home, he may decide to go vardy I/o jeff to be more attack minded but away, he will play jeff.

As others have said, expect an unchanged line up (NP is renowned for not changing a line up that has performed well) if no injuries unless he decides to play a diff formation with a midfielder I/o nugent. I suspect he won't and we will line up as we have done the past two games. Possibly drinkwater I/o king through that really isn't too fair on AK.

He seems to like the way nugent puts pressure on the opposition back 4. King isn't going to be able to play that role.

I think James needs a few sub appearances before starting. I would be confused if Nigel put him straight back in the team. I never thought I would say that after how brilliant he was last season.

In my mind he is behind all of other CMs in terms of starting.

I think he'll bring in Cambiasso for Hammond and maybe Drinkwater for King - as good as Hammond was against Chelsea I don't think he did as well against Arsenal. Don't see him dropping Nugent, and Schlupp has surely done enough to hold on to his place - which gives us a really strong bench

As well as King has started this season, I've never been comfortable having him in midfield away in the championship nevermind now. If Drinkwater is to come back in we can't partner him with King, who's going to do the dirty work? It needs to be with Hammond if James and Cambiasso aren't ready to start.

I don't recall Drinkwater and Hammond ever starting a match together though.

Drinkwater and Hammond started together at Reading away  :thumbup:

I think we will get our first win of the season against Stoke because we nearly beat them in the cup and played a weakened team.

I think we will get our first win of the season against Stoke because we nearly beat them in the cup and played a weakened team.

I agree, apart from the bit about nearly beating them in the cup with a weakened team.

Obviously, hardly any of these first-teamers was there in May 2008. And with that, gone the chance of some extra motivation.

At least the fans won't have forgotten and add some fuel to the fire.

In the past six years, Stoke have established themselves as a mid-tier Premier League club that are hard to beat, both home and away.

I just wonder how much of that Pulis magic is still there...

Speed could be the key difference here leading to a final score with one number being one higher than the other. Typical Stoke, really.

Let's hope the promotion bonus will carry us through this like a breeze. :D

Schlupp and Mahrez on the wings, with Ulloa in the middle. Cambiasso behind Drinkwater and King. Konchesky, Morgan, Moore and De Laet as defenders.

Mahrez and Schlupp running the Stoke defense ragged, and then enter Jamie Vardy...

Kasper

De Laet

Moore

Morgan

Konchesky

Drinkwater

Cambiasso

Mahrez

Schlupp

Nugent

Ulloa

This is the first time this season we go into a game with a real expectancy of a win.

2-1 to us, reverse of the cup game.

So  we are  better than Man  C   another drawwould bea great result

Obviously, hardly any of these first-teamers was there in May 2008. And with that, gone the chance of some extra motivation.

In the past six years, Stoke have established themselves as a mid-tier Premier League club that are hard to beat, both home and away.

Speed could be the key difference here leading to a final score with one number being one higher than the other. Typical Stoke, really.

Schlupp and Mahrez on the wings, with Ulloa in the middle. Cambiasso behind Drinkwater and King. Konchesky, Morgan, Moore and De Laet as defenders.

Mahrez and Schlupp running the Stoke defense ragged, and then enter Jamie Vardy...

I live in stoke and attended most of their games 2nd half of last season seeing them turn over Chelsea & Man U, Pulis is long gone,  their team has been transformed by Hughes to a possession based fast counter attacking outfit.  They have Moses & Assiadi out wide with the power of Arnautovic, Adam and Diouf plus Ireland and Bojan when needed. Their midfield is solidly anchored by Whelan and Nzonzi with Crouch playing link man between midfield and target when required. It won't be a walk in the park!!      

So  we are  better than Man  C   another drawwould bea great result

Are Stoke better than Man City? No, they got a good hard fought win over them last week, but all this proves is football is a great game, and the mid-lower teams in the premier league can get results over the top teams, if they prepare well and perform on the day. Without disrespecting Stoke, I would fancy our chances in this game more than Everton, Chelsea or Arsenal.  If we perform to the level we did away at Chelsea here I see a 2-1 win, would be ahppy wiht a point, but is the first game we go into where I think a win is a possibility.

I would go with:

Kasper

De Laet

Moore

Morgan

Konchesky

Cambiasso (Holding)

Drinkwater

King

Mahrez

Schluup

Ulloa

Subs: Hammer, Hammond, Was, Vardy, Nugent, Simpson, Powell

Are Stoke better than Man City? No, they got a good hard fought win over them last week, but all this proves is football is a great game, and the mid-lower teams in the premier league can get results over the top teams, if they prepare well and perform on the day. Without disrespecting Stoke, I would fancy our chances in this game more than Everton, Chelsea or Arsenal.  If we perform to the level we did away at Chelsea here I see a 2-1 win, would be ahppy wiht a point, but is the first game we go into where I think a win is a possibility.

I would go with:

Kasper

De Laet

Moore

Morgan

Konchesky

Cambiasso (Holding)

Drinkwater

King

Mahrez

Schluup

Ulloa

Subs: Hammer, Hammond, Was, Vardy, Nugent, Simpson, Powell

I think Nugent's role just in front of Hammond and King has been under-appreciated so far, and with Powell being in to perhaps challenge him for the same role, I can't see the formation being reworked any time soon. I think Cambiasso will probably play at least part of this match but I don't think Nugent's going anywhere, and if I'm honest I think it'll be the same 11 as we've used so far, barring probably Cambiasso in for Hammond.

Presuming we have a 100% fully fit squad to choose from and that Mahrez and Schlupp don't feature too heavily for Algeria and Ghana respectively then I'd go for...

Schmeichel

De Laet  Morgan  Moore  Konchesky

Mahrez  James  Drinkwater  Schlupp

Vardy  Ulloa

Subs: Hamer, Simpson, Albrighton, Knockaert, King, Cambiasso, Nugent.

So difficult to name that bench let alone the starting side - hence why I question Pearson's signing of Powell, when you consider that Wasilewski, Hammond, Powell, Wood, GTF, Lawrence all miss out. (Upson too).

Pearson will certainly have a huge headache picking this side. King and Hammond have deputised very well and Ulloa has stepped in comfortably in Vardy's absence. However, our three most pivotal men are James, Drinkwater and Vardy. For me, Pearson must pick the best side out there to win the game - who's to say that we wouldn't have beaten Arsenal had all 3 started? Pearson must also worry about match fitness though however of these returning 3 and Schlupp/Mahrez back from internationals, so will certainly be interesting to see who he goes for. 

My other concern on a side note is that Pearson will begin to play Vardy in a wide role, similar to how he did when he came on against Arsenal, NIGEL, if you are reading this, I BEGGGG YOU, DO NOT PLAY VARDY WIDE when he is our best striker!

Also, just seen a little scuffle above over Schlupp being a weakness. I think Schlupp has played a vital role in supporting Konch very well which has resulted in Konch's solid performances thus far. They seem to have good telepathy between them and Schlupp is not scared to sit in at left back for Konch when big PK does get forward. Schlupp has nailed that LW spot for me now.

love this

I think Nige will bring in Vardy for this one, Stoke are one of the strongest home sides in the prem but their back four isn't the quickest and that could be good for us.I think Vardy and Mahrez could be key.

As awesome as Ulloa has been, I wonder if NP might leave him on the bench on the basis that he's exactly the kind of player guys like Shawcross love playing against.

love to see vardy play in this game just feel it is right

esp if running at their back four is the key ?

love this too

I think Nugent's role just in front of Hammond and King has been under-appreciated so far, and with Powell being in to perhaps challenge him for the same role, I can't see the formation being reworked any time soon. I think Cambiasso will probably play at least part of this match but I don't think Nugent's going anywhere, and if I'm honest I think it'll be the same 11 as we've used so far, barring probably Cambiasso in for Hammond.

I agree with what you are saying and am a huge Nugent fan, just think for this game away at Stoke having 3 central midfielders with Cambiasso holding and king/Drinky taking it turns in that number 10 role. My team was perhaps a little more about getting both Cambiasso and Drinky into the 11, whilst rewarding King for his performances so far.

Archived