Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Stoke City Pre Match

Why are people still labeling Stoke as 'hoof ball'? The same people who slate critics for 'not doing their research' because we're predicted to go down? lol

Under Hughes there a completely different side.

Whilst they may not be as bad as they were, they still put themselves about, particularly in defence.

Kasper

De laet Morgan Moore Schlupp

Mahrez Drinkwater Cambiasso Vardy

Powell

Ulloa

Go for it!! I think Konchesky has played well but Schlupps played better and Vardy would add more threat going forward.

Cambiasso can slot in nicely when Schlupp/de laet go forward to protect the counter attack.

Comfortable 2-0 win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presuming we have a 100% fully fit squad to choose from and that Mahrez and Schlupp don't feature too heavily for Algeria and Ghana respectively then I'd go for...

Schmeichel

De Laet  Morgan  Moore  Konchesky

Mahrez  James  Drinkwater  Schlupp

Vardy  Ulloa

Subs: Hamer, Simpson, Albrighton, Knockaert, King, Cambiasso, Nugent.

So difficult to name that bench let alone the starting side - hence why I question Pearson's signing of Powell, when you consider that Wasilewski, Hammond, Powell, Wood, GTF, Lawrence all miss out. (Upson too).

Pearson will certainly have a huge headache picking this side. King and Hammond have deputised very well and Ulloa has stepped in comfortably in Vardy's absence. However, our three most pivotal men are James, Drinkwater and Vardy. For me, Pearson must pick the best side out there to win the game - who's to say that we wouldn't have beaten Arsenal had all 3 started? Pearson must also worry about match fitness though however of these returning 3 and Schlupp/Mahrez back from internationals, so will certainly be interesting to see who he goes for. 

My other concern on a side note is that Pearson will begin to play Vardy in a wide role, similar to how he did when he came on against Arsenal, NIGEL, if you are reading this, I BEGGGG YOU, DO NOT PLAY VARDY WIDE when he is our best striker!

Also, just seen a little scuffle above over Schlupp being a weakness. I think Schlupp has played a vital role in supporting Konch very well which has resulted in Konch's solid performances thus far. They seem to have good telepathy between them and Schlupp is not scared to sit in at left back for Konch when big PK does get forward. Schlupp has nailed that LW spot for me now.

We've been amazing against 3 of the top 6 teams yet some of you suggest four changes? How exactly do you all propose to keep the squad happy and working if they get dropped after playing well? The only change I would even consider is dd in for Hammond but I wouldn't mind if we went unchanged.

With two weeks to get new players integrated and fit, I can see there being a few changes. I imagine Cambiasso will start, possibly Albrighton, maybe more.

Though we know Nigel doesn't like to chop and change too much.

I don't expect a different formation, if we are going to play 442 against the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal then we will play it against Stoke.

Every player knows their role in the 442 and unless we spend the next 2 weeks training to play in a different way I think it would be a mistake to change it for Stoke.

I also don't expect many changes in personnel, the new boys will get their chance but not straight away.

Kasper, Moore, Morgan and Konchesky are guaranteed to start. RDL has been at fault for a couple of goals and if Simpson impresses in training that could be a change.

Mahrez looks our best creative outlet and Schlupp has been superb on the left supporting Konch at getting forward and making things happen, Albrighton hasn't given me a reason yet to put him in the team.

Ulloa is also a must start for me, and I would keep Nugent as his work rate and support of the midfielders is crucial to this formation working, no changes there Vardy to come off the bench if we need a goal.

The real question is CM, to make it easier I'm going to assume James won't be fit, Cambiasso won't have had much time training with the squad so I will have him to make his debut off the bench if we are winning, so 2 from DD, King and Hammond.

If Drinkwater is fit then he has to start, looked good coming on against Arsenal and we will need his drive from midfield to take control of the game. Partnered with Hammond, the work he did breaking up countless Chelsea and Arsenal attacks in the last 2 games was immense, Stoke have a real talent in Bojan in the middle and if Hammond can snuff him out then Drinky can focus on driving us forwards.

Powell and Lawrence will have to prove they have the ability and attitude and fitness to cope with the work rate required of our forward players. We can't afford to carry any passengers, and if they will not match the work rate of Nugent or Schlupp off the ball then they will struggle to replace them.

Kasper

RDL* Moore Morgan Konchesky

Mahrez Drinky Hammond Schlupp

Nugent

Ulloa

Subs: Hamer, Wasyl, Simpson*, Cambiasso, Vardy, Albrighton, Powell,

As much as I agree that 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 seems to be the formation with which everybody is most comfortable, it's misleading to say that "because we played 4-4-2 against Everton, Chelsea and Arsenal, we will play 4-4-2 against Stoke".

The Chelsea game, for starters, was a total freak. We had 2 fit central midfielders. Likewise Everton, where I don't think pre-match anybody felt particularly confident about the prospect of starting with Hammond in there (albeit he proved a lot of people wrong in that instance). For Arsenal it's not clear whether we had 3 central midfielders fit enough to play the game.

I can't imagine that Pearson is planning on almost always starting 2 of King, Hammond, James, Drinkwater, Cambiasso and Powell over the course of the season (granted Powell is unlikely to feature in a 2).

I think we'll see 4-3-3 or variants of it a few times this season, although quite when I have no idea.

So how do we do this tactically? How best to counter their thuggish hoofball, apart from bringing neck pillows?

Pick a team of our quickest, agile players to duck and dive and tear their thick Neanderthals to shreds with the counter-attacking and slick passing moves that we do so well? Our co-operative pressing of the ball and relentless harrying should scare their halfwits shitless early doors.

Or fight fire with fire and play our heavies?

I suggest everyone wears shirts a couple of sizes below their own to make it more difficult for them to ply their absolutely shameless and scandalous tactics at corners.

After all your negative opinions about us recently and now you thinking Stoke play hoofball still...

Have you actually watched any football in the past 12 months?

I would of thought having watched Leicester last season you would realise Pearson always uses the withdrawn striker, and away at stoke i doubt will be his first day where he decides to stop packing the middle and just go for 2 out and out strikers. Powell/Nugent and Ulloa/Vardy i imagine is what we will see mostly, as Ulloa/Vardy both are advanced whereas nuge and Powell sit deep.We need to use this as we always have 1 striker sitting deep to help pack out the middle of the pitch, which is what Nugent does so importantly for us.

I think Nige will bring in Vardy for this one, Stoke are one of the strongest home sides in the prem but their back four isn't the quickest and that could be good for us.I think Vardy and Mahrez could be key.

As awesome as Ulloa has been, I wonder if NP might leave him on the bench on the basis that he's exactly the kind of player guys like Shawcross love playing against.

Guest seanfox778

Given Pearson's track record, I'd say he'd pick the same team as the one that started V Arsenal. This will keep competition for the starting 11 very competitive between the players, if you dropped players whenever a better player returns from injury or suspension then it could have a negative effect on squad morale. Knowing that playing well will keep your place in the starting 11 will keep all the players at their best and in theory they should all be working harder in training to make sure they keep their place in the team should they get a chance.

Given Pearson's track record, I'd say he'd pick the same team as the one that started V Arsenal. This will keep competition for the starting 11 very competitive between the players, if you dropped players whenever a better player returns from injury or suspension then it could have a negative effect on squad morale. Knowing that playing well will keep your place in the starting 11 will keep all the players at their best and in theory they should all be working harder in training to make sure they keep their place in the team should they get a chance.

I think Nige will have to start picking pegs for holes.

More so now he will have to use the whole squad.

Teams in the prem more so have certain strengths and we have to counter those to stand a chance.

He now has a larger squad that he will never keep happy even if we are winning keeping the same squad for every game.

Guest seanfox778

I think Nige will have to start picking pegs for holes.

More so now he will have to use the whole squad.

Teams in the prem more so have certain strengths and we have to counter those to stand a chance.

He now has a larger squad that he will never keep happy even if we are winning keeping the same squad for every game.

That's a good point, I suppose it'll be a new challenge for Nige too. Hopefully he can keep them all happy.

Vardy has to play. Start of the season one of my first gut feelings was how much of a run around he'd give 2 very good, but quite slow/static defences - Arsenal and Stoke. Shawcross will either be partnered by a mediocre and slow Wilson or a slow and injured Huth. 

Feel we can spring a surprise here but they're a very good side. 

Our approach to this needs to be totally different to the previous games.

We need to do the complete opposite, and instead of keeping a deep defense we need to press very high. If we sit deep, we will only play into their long ball hands.

Archived