Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Sunderland post match thread

If you stick a target man up front in this league they need to be world class, or at least offer some movement. It's not working with Ulloa like it wasn't working with Howard. Poor recruitment.

this. I though Ulloa was a poor buy. Then I thought I was wrong. I'm now thinking my initial opinion of him was correct. Whilst appreciating he has little service of late, his general play goal scoring aside is not good enough. The same could be levelled at least half of today's starting 11. Looking in deep trouble now

Thought we looked ok, just lacking a bit of confidence going forward, epitomised by two poor finishes from James. We've gone so long without scoring that a lack of confidence was inevitable, but there were enough encouraging signs today for it to be a positive performance overall.

Would have liked to have seen Knocky or Albrighton start ahead of Schlupp. Jeff was largely anonymous going forward in the first half, and seemed to spend the whole 2nd half wandering around aimlessly in no man's land between the defence and midfield. Bring Jeff on late on for his pacee if you feel the need, but he's not good enough to be starting in this league.

On a low quality stream it looked like they should have had four reds. Two for last man barges on Mahrez, at least one of which looked a stonewall penalty, and then Larrson for a 2nd yellow and Cattermole for his assault on cambiasso. It would have been a different game had the referee done his job.

We had more of the play and if either side deserved the win then we did, but on the whole a draw is fair.

they had 60% possession . 5 shots  on target to our 4 !! 306 passes to our 177 !! 9 corners to our 6 . etc etc etc . did you watch the game through a pair of blue tinted glasses ?

Ulloa will come good with a lot of chances. One or two aren't sufficient for a team and player who are lacking woefully in confidence.

I really believe there's a huge amount of psychology involved here. Some luck or maybe a great performance from an individual will get them back to there scoring winning ways.

As an aside it'll be very interesting to see how stable our set up is and whether the owners do see NP as a long term manager. I hope so.

lol

God knows what meds 'The Doctor' is taking?

The 4-4-2 was an improvement over previous games, but I thought both teams looked devoid of chances. Yeah, we made a couple, at home, but hey..big deal.

Cambiasso was frustrating. He did some lovely stuff, then kept giving it away needlessly.

Mahrez also looked bright, then petered out second half.

Vardy suddenly looks like a Championship striker..and that's all...

I thought it was a decent game, but clear after around 70 mins that neither side would score.

That's over 500 mins now without a goal I think?

That's the problem

A draw wasn't desired, however there were many more positives to take from today than many of the games before put together. 

Think the key thing is confidence in front of goal. And a bit of fortuity to fall for us. Earlier in the season those James efforts and Vardy's break through would have fell kinder and one of them in to a goal. 

First half we were a little wasteful in possession. De Laet and Cambiasso gave the ball away a few too many times. We became a bit static both on and off the ball which played in to Sunderland's hands. Although there was some intensity in our play, it wasn't quite enough. We were under the cosh from about 20-25 minutes to HT and thankfully Schmeichel made his presence felt with 2 very good saves. The way we were playing at that point it  felt like we were going to concede because Fletcher and Larsson and Wickham can be dangerous. 

Second half, though, we were more dominant in possession and Sunderland looked happier to play for the draw. They barely attacked and we did more of the pushing forward. Some balls being sprayed about were excellently played out - Ulloa to Mahrez, Cambiasso to Mahrez for example. But there were other times where we could have been more profitable from attacking situations e.g. Vardy playing it through when we were 4 on 2 at one point. 

It was actually a good game to watch and pretty much end-to-end. The players, based on today, didn't seem to let the bad run or lack of goals affect them. The effort was there but the application slightly lacking. Keep Mahrez in the squad next week and perhaps stick with same formation/players all around and the scoring duck will be broken next week. 

they had 60% possession . 5 shots  on target to our 4 !! 306 passes to our 177 !! 9 corners to our 6 . etc etc etc . did you watch the game through a pair of blue tinted glasses ?

I must admit I find those stats shocking as I also thought we had most of the play, obviously not lol

Better today but still not good enough. Far too pedestrian and as usual corners and free kicks were wasted time and time again.

We desperately need a new striker in January, Vardy is always a threat but he's not clincal enough to be a premier league striker. 0-0 and the only strikers we have to bring on are the two worst in the Premier League.

Don't know if it was because we have seen a pile of shit the last few weeks, but enjoyed the first 20 minutes, and thought we would win.

Great not to lose, but it's very concerning how easy teams find defending against us, and the lack of quality and composure.

We had enough chances today to win the game, but panicked in good positions, the James chance comes to mind.

Still not convinced by the players or management at this level, we are so predictable, but at least we have 1 more point.

It was better, shape was better we didn't look as disorganised, Cambiasso ran the midfield I thought, he has to start every game. Was and Morgan were brilliant. So overall that was an improvement.

The forward line looked sharper today too, Mahrez was dazzling at times infuriating at others, leaving defenders on their arses and then fluffing the finish. Ulloa spent too long out of the area for my liking, we need someone to be able to drop deep and retrieve the ball, or try a player in behind the striker. The only player I still have concerns with is De laet, another stinker today.

Nugent wouldn't get 5in 12 seasons.bringing him on is pointless,woods not much better. If we don't get a striker in we're going down

this. Nugent is not up to it, and he's knows it. Today not his fault however as he was on the bench most of the game but his shot when he came on was the hot potato syndrome. No chance of scoring and doesn't want the ball anywhere near the goal, so let just have a wild swing at it . All our better player's confidence has been shot to pieces through half a dozen games being played far too negatively at the direction of the manager, resulting in a very poor run against beatable opposition. Sadly at the moment I can't see where any win will come from.

Oh I forgot to mention, we cut out the misplaced passes and managed to keep hold of the ball alot more today that in itself is a HUGE positive.

Our pass completion stats were absolutely dismal today.

But I'm not really fussed about us losing the ball if we're doing so in trying to create opportunities. In the last few weeks it's looked more like we were trying to complete a set number of passes than actually score a goal.

It was, generally speaking, much, much better today but the bar has been set very low.

this. I though Ulloa was a poor buy. Then I thought I was wrong. I'm now thinking my initial opinion of him was correct. Whilst appreciating he has little service of late, his general play goal scoring aside is not good enough. The same could be levelled at least half of today's starting 11. Looking in deep trouble now

Think his general play is excellent. Mostly tidy in possession and provides a good link between midfield and attack. Also works hard harassing defenders. He is unfortunately being dragged into areas where he's never going to score, which is the issue for me, but think his all round game is good. People think solution to no goals must be new striker. In reality we need to keep Vardy and Ulloa in and around the box and create the chances for them. They have both already showed good finishing this season.

Just got back. After some of the recent stuff we've all seen at the KP, not bad, but work needed. I still think we are lacking some class across the whole park and will need to strengthen in January, in particularly, up front. Yet, there are at least three positives to think on tonight.

1. Kasper kept his first Premier clean sheet as a Leicester player.
2. We move into double figures.
3. We are out of the bottom three.

Foxes Never Quit!

was the Mahrez penalty appeal valid? looked stonewall from where I was but up in SK1 it's quite far away so not sure

Clear foul and a sending off. The referee was too far away to make the call and unfortunately his assistant wasn't quick enough to keep up with play.

I thought Cambiasso wasn't great tbh. James carried the midfield in my opinion.

Cambiasso seemed to be hit and miss today. Some great awareness at times but on other occasions he needlessly gave the ball away.

However I did notice his awareness better than anyone else in the team and he is always communicating with the rest of the team.

Good: Jeff was very good, Mahrez showed class, Kasper made a couple of great saves, Morgan was good.

Bad: Camby was poor in the 1st, Wasyl is too slow and a card risk with every challenge, De Laet and Konch are inconsistant, Ulloa has lost confidence, Vardy lacked touch in the second, No-one can score.

Agree with this post.

Mahrez should be one of the first on the team sheet, especially against a bloody awful QPR side next week. I think Moore is due a return to the back four, but some of our problems such as the inability of our strikers to score may be best sorted in January.

Can't understand people questioning Wasyl and wanting Moore back, since Wasyl has come in the side we have looked a lot more solid and thoroughly deserves his starting position.

If you stick a target man up front in this league they need to be world class, or at least offer some movement. It's not working with Ulloa like it wasn't working with Howard. Poor recruitment.

He is responsible for 45% of our league goals this season. That is seriously awful recruitment!

Dear oh dear only on foxestalk

Archived