Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Sunderland post match thread

Managers seem to make confusing decisions like this. I know Nige would have been slaughtered for playing a big striker like Wickham out wide.

He needs to stop Ulloa going out wide. How wrong is it to see Ulloa crossing the ball in to midgets like Cambiasso.

He needs to stop Ulloa going out wide. How wrong is it to see Ulloa crossing the ball in to midgets like Cambiasso.

It's certainly counter-intuitive. It's happened far too much as well. Seen it a few times now.

I think Ulloa has gradually moved from striker in games due to our pathetic recent attempts at creating chances. He just wants to get involved. If I was Nige I'd tell him to stick to the box area. He's a box finisher. As useful as his link play is sometimes, there is then no one up front to get on the end of any chances!!!

Why are fans bumming off Wickham, he has a bit of strength and can hold the ball up, apart from that he is bloody shit.

He is overrated, and as for him troubling De Laet  lol what game were some people watching, I'm always ready to slate De Laet but today he did alright. 

Shame vardy wasn't cute enough to go down early on when brown screwed up. He caught him and he was last man trying to rescue his mistake.

We seemed happy to drop deep , 2 banks of 4 once they had the ball. Against a better team, we will struggle with 2 in the middle and two up top. 4-4-2. We need to drop a forward into the space between the lines or play king or DD between the midfield and ulloa. Either vardy or ulloa were a waste today. No link up play between them. May as well had one up top. Let's be honest - sland weren't very good.

Nugent gets an incredible amount of stick on here but he plays that forward-dropping-back role much better than either Vardy or Leo, neither of whom are suited to it at all. The more I think about it the more I think we missed Nuge today. In spite of his dreadful cameo, I think had he started his link up play would have won us the game.

Didn't see it, barely followed it but another poor result. Better by the sounds of it, but a game we needed to win. Something is going badly wrong going forward, although I was pleased with how we set up. Could be in a worse position right now, Stoke away seems like a better result by the week.

Tactics fine today. If Matty James takes one of his, Leos 'wtf was that' header, Jeffs shambles, Riayds chances, hand ball, another blatant penalty, any of that drops for us we've won the game. Out the bottom 3, big game next week, onwards and upwards.

Probably agree with that. People can't say we didn't create anything today but unfortunately we won't get many games where we'll be allowed to create that much.

Dreading our next three. Cannot bare the thought of losing at QPR or Villa but we'll probably lose both.

Thought it was better today, got the formation correct although I personnly would have opted for different personal in some positions, but that's each to their opinions.

Again the doom merchants are out even though we are playing in possibly the toughest league in the world, as a newly promoted team with little top level experience. Indeed I even heard one muppet say 'we are shit, we should be 3:1 down' and this was while I was having a piss at half time.

Thought it was better today, got the formation correct although I personnly would have opted for different personal in some positions, but that's each to their opinions.

Again the doom merchants are out even though we are playing in possibly the toughest league in the world, as a newly promoted team with little top level experience. Indeed I even heard one muppet say 'we are shit, we should be 3:1 down' and this was while I was having a piss at half time.

I can only recall a couple of Fletcher efforts and one really tame Wickham shot, I thought they really struggled to break us down, and had to resort to using Wickham or Fletch as outlets down Ritchies flank.

Thought James was our best player, if he could shoot he'd our Frank Lampard.

Ulloa drifts out far too often for me, when someone is in a position to cross from 25-30 yards out from the wing Ulloa is never in the box so not really sure what his brief is.

Overall, still rate him and the team though, sticking with this first 11 is key for me.

I'm not having the love in for cambiasso, yes he has won countless titles and played at the highest level his whole career, yes he waves his arms around conducting everyone but his passing isn't anywhere near as good as a lot of you make out he gives the ball away more than most, he's poor in the air and his aimless headers back to the opposition constantly is unreal, his legs have gone, sitting watching him leave his man to run off him then jog back as they're attacking is the most frustrating thing I've ever seen.... I thought Hammond was slow but ec takes the biscuit the only saving grace today was the fact that Sunderland had no pace in the middle either

I agree, he was poor today, looked like a luxury player today, other then1 great pass mahrez, he was disappointing

Ended the losing run grabbing a point & a clean sheet

All round better performance from us against a side with a good bit of PL knowhow (barring a freak horror show like their Saints defeat) , Sunderland are no mugs

Schlupp & James should have scored & we easily should have had a penno as there was contact its just Mahrez went down far to easily... If those 3 instances were different wed all be sucking each other off. As it stands though a good platform to build on & finally a clean sheet for Schmeichel

do you always suck people off when we score?

Shame. Thought Pearson was spot on in post match interview with Stringer. More positives than negatives from today's game.

Good XI, well set up, and created a number of chances, without ever looking wholly convincing.

On the minus side, the lack of a premiership left back is hurting us, as is the lack of both quality and variety in the final third. Personally I'm happy to see Ulloa, Vardy & Mahrez start, but thought it telling that each substitution today made us poorer. We need a Troy Deeney, a Lloyd Dyer as an impact sub, an in-form Nick Powell, and Matt Upson (hopefully with the legs for this level).

What we don't need is: Wes & Was having time on the ball (because they're guaranteed to waste it); Schlupp going missing for huge chunks of games; Nugent (at all, unless we're hoping to use him for next years promotion campaign); Wood (at all); Knocky (I'd be amazed if he makes the grade at this level); Albrighton (why??); Hammond (thanks though for showing us you could play); but mostly, we don't need fans getting on the players backs.

Nige and/or others boobed in the summer in thinking that 9 championship players plus Magic & Leo would be good enough for this level. We need another 2-3 quality players, which will be hard to achieve in January, especially if we're in the bottom three then. There's still hope and Nige is the best if not only person for the job.

Can't disagree with any of that

Vast improvement today and good to see some winger action and at times some flowing football (the James / Ulloa 1-2 was lovely stuff).

Not sure RDL deserves all the flack, he defended well but I think became a little wasteful with the ball.

Couple of areas I think we need to improve on:

1. Stop the wasteful passes down the line to no one from the full backs - especially RDL - drives me nuts. Kasper's kicks aren't much better.

2. I agree that EC is still knocking off our balance. He plays some lovely passes but I don't think he offered enough else. Great as the pass to Mahrez was today, can anyone honestly say that DD wouldn't or couldn't have played something equally as sublime? I also think DD offers more going forward and also more mobility. Would like to see him and James together again. Have we actually played that pairing this season?

We were just ok yesterday. We are short on a couple of quality players in my opinion.

Good things: 

Mahrez in starting line up, looks dangerous and has a go

Morgan / Was look solid at the back.

Ulloa great at holding the ball up, gets around - no service though

Vardy, not the best game he had, but his work rateand chasing down is brill

James looked good with Cambiasso

A clean sheet and at least we didn't loose

Bad things:

We need a playmaker who can feed our front 2. How many times has Ulloa been seen on the wing??

RDL - Can he cross a ball? Awful again...couldn't even throw a ball to a blue shirt

Too many wasted passes into the box..we need goals and quick

Cambiasso looks a little short on pace/fitness..sorry, don't want to be negative on this, because he is a class player, but premiership is more faster and physical than the Italian leagues

Pearson...why bring Woods on with 3 minutes to go?? What was the point?? He needs to spend more time on the touchline to encourage the players, not sitting in the stands!!

Maybe I'm wrong on certain things above and people will tell me their views, hopefully some people will agree with me. I 

Better today but still not good enough. Far too pedestrian and as usual corners and free kicks were wasted time and time again.

We desperately need a new striker in January, Vardy is always a threat but he's not clincal enough to be a premier league striker. 0-0 and the only strikers we have to bring on are the two worst in the Premier League.

Agreed that we need better options upfront but come on, Marvin Sordell is the worst striker in the Premier League.

Archived