Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
thegaffa

If Pearson gets sacked, who would or could realistically be our next manager?

Tony Pulis admittedly did well keeping Palace up last season but he is not cheap (he actually outspent Arsene Wenger by £120m in the equivalent period). His Stoke side had one of the highest wage bills in the Premier league by the time his reign ended at £53m, he spent £10m on Crouch, £8m on Kenwyne Jone and £6m on Wilson Palacious.

Christ some of these suggestions are bordering on ludicrous, seems to be an 'anyone but Pearson' attitude from the haters without any consideration of the credentials and realistic prospect of them coming.

Pulis = Would be the most likely of the lot to keep us up granted, but he would have to rip our squad to pieces in January. People say he played better football at Palace, but it was still very simple in terms of scoring a lot from set plays and winning second balls. We currently have 2 or 3 players over 6 foot, so he would realistically have to invest in 30 millions worth of players. If we ended up going down anyway, that 30 million is pissed up the wall and these players and manager would jump ship the moment relegation is assured. Added to this he is unlikely to take on such a difficult task of keeping us up at such short notice, he had over 30 games at Palace, by the time the deal is sorted he would have half of that and would need at least 8 wins in such a short space of time.

Lennon = Completely unproven quantity in England let alone in the Premier League. If he hadn't been a city legend he wouldn't even be considered by us fans. He did well at Celtic at a time when there was literally no competition for the title. Would be a ridiculous gamble to take considering we have a manager currently who is more qualified than him for the job.

Nameless foreign manager = Last season the bottom 2 both replaced their manager at a similar time of the year and brought in successful foreign coaches, they both got relegated with a whimper, spent shit loads of money and started the Championship season terribly and are both now unemployed. Added to that West Brom did their very best to get relegated under Mel and were definitely worse off than when Steve Clark was their manager.

Sherwood = Scraping the barrel now lads, yet another Spurs coach who finished exactly where they do every season. Was largely seen as an absolute clown on the touchline and Spurs look a better team now without him with largely the same players.

Howe = Has a similar CV to our Nigel, except a big thing missing that is promotion to the Premier League. Yes Bournemouth are top now and it has been impressive how well they have done but they aren't up yet, and we know as well as any how the wheels can come off when you look like you're Premier League bound. Not sure he would want to risk everything he has built at Bournemouth to potentially swap positions in May.

McCarthy = I'm a big Mick fan, but his Premier League record is relatively poor. Seems to be doing a good job at Ipswich and not sure he would leave there.

Any I have missed out? I really can't see any alternative who is more likely to keep us up than Nigel and will actually be willing to come. What is the point therefore in change for the sake of it when we know Nigel has delivered the goods for us before. So lets allow him time to sign a few more bits of quality without breaking the bank and get behind the players as fans to see what we can do.

Good analysis, puts the issue into perspective. We're doing badly and something has to change to bring back the good times but IMO any change should be part of a coherent strategy. Are we convinced that a different manager could get more out of the squad than NP is doing? If there is a manager out there that can convince the owners that they could do so and identify quality players to come to a club that looks odds-on for relegation then I'm sure they'd listen, but I think they're in short supply. We have a number of players that are not PL quality and do not look as if they can raise their game to that level, and until that is addressed we will continue to struggle, no matter who the manager is.

Christ some of these suggestions are bordering on ludicrous, seems to be an 'anyone but Pearson' attitude from the haters without any consideration of the credentials and realistic prospect of them coming.

Pulis = Would be the most likely of the lot to keep us up granted, but he would have to rip our squad to pieces in January. People say he played better football at Palace, but it was still very simple in terms of scoring a lot from set plays and winning second balls. We currently have 2 or 3 players over 6 foot, so he would realistically have to invest in 30 millions worth of players. If we ended up going down anyway, that 30 million is pissed up the wall and these players and manager would jump ship the moment relegation is assured. Added to this he is unlikely to take on such a difficult task of keeping us up at such short notice, he had over 30 games at Palace, by the time the deal is sorted he would have half of that and would need at least 8 wins in such a short space of time.

Lennon = Completely unproven quantity in England let alone in the Premier League. If he hadn't been a city legend he wouldn't even be considered by us fans. He did well at Celtic at a time when there was literally no competition for the title. Would be a ridiculous gamble to take considering we have a manager currently who is more qualified than him for the job.

Nameless foreign manager = Last season the bottom 2 both replaced their manager at a similar time of the year and brought in successful foreign coaches, they both got relegated with a whimper, spent shit loads of money and started the Championship season terribly and are both now unemployed. Added to that West Brom did their very best to get relegated under Mel and were definitely worse off than when Steve Clark was their manager.

Sherwood = Scraping the barrel now lads, yet another Spurs coach who finished exactly where they do every season. Was largely seen as an absolute clown on the touchline and Spurs look a better team now without him with largely the same players.

Howe = Has a similar CV to our Nigel, except a big thing missing that is promotion to the Premier League. Yes Bournemouth are top now and it has been impressive how well they have done but they aren't up yet, and we know as well as any how the wheels can come off when you look like you're Premier League bound. Not sure he would want to risk everything he has built at Bournemouth to potentially swap positions in May.

McCarthy = I'm a big Mick fan, but his Premier League record is relatively poor. Seems to be doing a good job at Ipswich and not sure he would leave there.

Any I have missed out? I really can't see any alternative who is more likely to keep us up than Nigel and will actually be willing to come. What is the point therefore in change for the sake of it when we know Nigel has delivered the goods for us before. So lets allow him time to sign a few more bits of quality without breaking the bank and get behind the players as fans to see what we can do.

That's the worry though,can Nigel attract quality to this club,I've doubted it before and I still doubt it now.

That's why i think some one like Cambiasso is not a bad shout,unproven yes,yet like your list of names he has no baggage,he will attract big names and above all he has played in the prem,so knows the league.

That's the worry though,can Nigel attract quality to this club,I've doubted it before and I still doubt it now.

That's why i think some one like Cambiasso is not a bad shout,unproven yes,yet like your list of names he has no baggage,he will attract big names and above all he has played in the prem,so knows the league.

All this stuff about Pearson not attracting players is just utter nonsense really. As I said the other day, do people think players have a yearning to play for Mark Hughes, Fat Sam, Pardew, Bruce, Pulis?

Players sign predominately for two reasons. To further their career (either by playing regularly, or playing in a bigger league) or for money.

All this stuff about Pearson not attracting players is just utter nonsense really. As I said the other day, do people think players have a yearning to play for Mark Hughes, Fat Sam, Pardew, Bruce, Pulis?

Players sign predominately for two reasons. To further their career (either by playing regularly, or playing in a bigger league) or for money.

Got to agree with this. The days are gone when a player wanted to play for a certain manager. This was banded about when we had Sven here and it was utter gubbins. Players like Beckford and Mills didn't join to play for Sven..lol

They joined for one reason...money.

It's all about money. If we pay peanuts we get monkeys.

Got to agree with this. The days are gone when a player wanted to play for a certain manager. This was banded about when we had Sven here and it was utter gubbins. Players like Beckford and Mills didn't join to play for Sven.. lol

They joined for one reason...money.

It's all about money. If we pay peanuts we get monkeys.

Real Madrid must be giving Bale banana's then.

I agree with you to a point,pay packet,regular football..yet if you go back to the summer,Nigel came out and said he had a list of top targets,and wanted them in early.

Albrighton came in things looked positive then nothing,we were linked with lots of players,Pelle,Slimani,Cardozo,Deeney etc,then the word came out wage cap.

Fair enough with that in place you are not likely to get top players,then we sign Cambiassio now he hasn't come cheap,so the wage cap at the club is a bit of a myth.

As for the managers above they are proven premiership managers,which does help a player to decide were his future is.

For one reason or another we could not attract the players, whether thats down to Robinson or Pearson i don't know,so until proven wrong i will still have my doubts.

I agree with you to a point,pay packet,regular football..yet if you go back to the summer,Nigel came out and said he had a list of top targets,and wanted them in early.

Albrighton came in things looked positive then nothing,we were linked with lots of players,Pelle,Slimani,Cardozo,Deeney etc,then the word came out wage cap.

Fair enough with that in place you are not likely to get top players,then we sign Cambiassio now he hasn't come cheap,so the wage cap at the club is a bit of a myth.

As for the managers above they are proven premiership managers,which does help a player to decide were his future is.

For one reason or another we could not attract the players, whether thats down to Robinson or Pearson i don't know,so until proven wrong i will still have my doubts.

What helps the other managers is that they are at established clubs. You think a player from Spain, or Italy or France has heard of Pardew etc? All they see is big club, established in the premier, paying me a load of cash.

Not read all the thread but I don't get all the negativity towards pulis.People on here rave about the O'Neill era and pulis is the same type of manager as in he would get the best out of what he has available to him and keep us in a comfortable mid table finish year in year out,or would people prefer someone to come in and try to play sexy football and get relegated

So? He did a good job with Stoke and Palace, but he had to spend ridiculous amounts with stoke, and was sacked by palace because they weren't prepared to do likewise. Not to mention his style will not work with us. But, if you want to go down, but blow a hell of a lot of money and put us back 3 years, then he's your man.

He spent 3.7 million in the Jan transfer window the season he keep them up!

I would take that!

Whoever it is will be given a shed load of cash and licence to manage in the way he wants. Or he wouldnt take it on. As most managers in that situation do.

A few examples. Kenny dalgiesh after roy hodgson at liverpool. Sold torres to buy suarez and carroll. Never would be allowed under hodgson. Mind you kk was dof at time of hodgsons sacking. Lvg at united. Able to spend money like its going out of fashion unlike moyes. To a lesser extent warnock at palace aftet pulis went. Within minutes or hours. Zaha was back on loan.

This reflects badly on previous manager to fans as incoming manager looks a world beater initially ad he is giving fans what they want. Signings! But like kk and lvg it doesnt always work out for them.

Archived