Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

7 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I am off Tynemouth from Friday - any recommendations of that neck of the woods appreciated. 

Newcastle is great for a night out. 

You need to book your restaurants early as I am struggling with the government scheme and getting anywhere to eat. 

Great both North and South of the river.

Gabrielles in Seaburn great Italian, so is Bellinis. 

Great part of the country, enjoy 

30 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

I’m taking my dad to Belfast to see the Titanic museum later in the year. Can anyone recommend anywhere decent to stay? Preferably near some decent bars and restaurants. 

Anywhere around the cathedral quarter would be best for bars and restaurants.

As a word of warning Belfast hotels and pints arent cheap compared to other similar size cities in the UK, not sure if things have changed post-covid. 

Decent city though, red bus tour is well worth it as it goes through some 'interesting' areas!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

I’m taking my dad to Belfast to see the Titanic museum later in the year. Can anyone recommend anywhere decent to stay? Preferably near some decent bars and restaurants. 

If you & your Dad are interested in the Titanic story, make time to visit Belfast City Hall where there is a permanent History of Belfast museum/exhibition, a big part of which is Titanic related. Interesting & informative & its free!

Edited by boots60
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, boots60 said:

If you & your Dad are interested in the Titanic story, make time to visit Belfast City Hall where there is a permanent History of Belfast museum/exhibition, a big part of which is Titanic related. Interesting & informative & its free!

Thanks for this. Just looked online and it's currently closed. 

13 hours ago, Nalis said:

As a word of warning Belfast hotels and pints arent cheap compared to other similar size cities in the UK, not sure if things have changed post-covid. 

Decent city though, red bus tour is well worth it as it goes through some 'interesting' areas!

Yeah the hotels do look a little pricey, even in November. Not overly fussed on the beer prices, won't be drinking too much anyway.

Currently sizzling under the Cypriot ☀️ bit of a faff getting paperwork sorted as need to have a COVID test within 72hrs of flight and fill out a flight pass to board but nothing to difficult. Only worry was getting negative results back in time but these were texted & emailed back in under 16hrs from swabbing.

Our original flights were cancelled so rebooked and saved a fortune, well will have once refund goes through, and found the whole experience quite slick and very quite here in Cyprus, going through baggage/passport control was a breeze as our plane was the only 1 and that was about 3/4 full.

20 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

Heading to Belfast next weekend to see the gf's family. Had flights booked with Ryanair who have now decided to change the date of the return flight and give us either two options... accept it or refund lol

I'm going for a night next week, any tips for decent pubs/restaurants? Luckily flying Easyjet.

On 18/08/2020 at 21:18, Nalis said:

Managed to get a 4* hotel in the city centre for £60, but it is a midweek night. How much, would you say, for a pint of guinness in an average city centre boozer?

Belfast is amazing! 

So much recent history, the people are great and the Guinness is amazing. I strongly recommend the Crown Liquoor pub for it's decor and character, the walk around the murals, the Crumlin Road prison tour and the Titanic tour. There's some the Game of Thrones set on show at the back of the Titanic tour as that's where it was filmed and there's paintings of the show dotted about the city. Although I took less interest in that after the last season haha. 

I strongly recommend using the red tour bus as previously mentioned to get you set up and a feel for where to go because its not a big city, it just helps save time for the pubs! I recommend to anyone that doesn't like guinness to try it over there because it's a different drink. 

There's coaches to Dublin that only take a couple of hours too from the main bus station so depending on time I'd recommend doing that. 

There's a great view of the city (and free) if you get the lift to the top of the shopping centre where there is a viewing tower. St George's Market had a great atmosphere with a guy on guitar in the centre of the dining section and plenty of choices for food and shopping - we chose the Sunday deliberately but guess that might be effected with social distancing. 

I can't wait to go back again. 

**infact the second time I went with my mates we flew to Dublin and got the coach to Belfast as you can fly East mids there rather than go all the way to Stansted for Belfast direct. That way we got to both places and saved time but I think you can fly East mids to Belfast now. 

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Managed to get a 4* hotel in the city centre for £60, but it is a midweek night. How much, would you say, for a pint of guinness in an average city centre boozer?

You cant go wrong with the cathedral quarter, Duke of York is one of my favourite pubs is Belfast and shouldn't be too busy midweek.

Laverys and the Bot are decent for football but they can be quite student heavy during the week if you are going during term time.

If it's Guinness you are after then Bittles Bar, in my opinion, do the best pint of Guinness anywhere. This is coming from someone who lived in Dublin for over 3 years and loved the pubs there. 

Saying all that, no idea what any of the set ups are like post-March 2020, particularly Bittles as it's quite small.

Edit - price is less than a fiver a pint generally depending on the bar, maybe 4.50, 4 is low for Belfast.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I'm going for a night next week, any tips for decent pubs/restaurants? Luckily flying Easyjet.

Not sure mate, my missus is from there so I just tag along. We don't really venture into the city that much when we go over as we stay with her parents etc.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Anyone ever been the highlands or outer hebredes in winter? It’s clearly going to be wet which I can cope with for a few days but just wondering if it would be unbearable.

That sounds like my worst nightmare - I hate being cold!

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’ve been in Swedish Lapland in -40, extreme weather but incredible holiday.

I really want to see the northern lights, but I hate snow. To the point of it being a bit of a phobia. There was definitely some mistake and I should have been born in a warmer climate..! 

7 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I really want to see the northern lights, but I hate snow. To the point of it being a bit of a phobia. There was definitely some mistake and I should have been born in a warmer climate..! 

Ha yeah that’s a problem with the northern lights generally.

If I think Scotland will be too grim I might end up in Norway or Sweden again if Covid allows.

21 hours ago, Nalis said:

You cant go wrong with the cathedral quarter, Duke of York is one of my favourite pubs is Belfast and shouldn't be too busy midweek.

Laverys and the Bot are decent for football but they can be quite student heavy during the week if you are going during term time.

If it's Guinness you are after then Bittles Bar, in my opinion, do the best pint of Guinness anywhere. This is coming from someone who lived in Dublin for over 3 years and loved the pubs there. 

Saying all that, no idea what any of the set ups are like post-March 2020, particularly Bittles as it's quite small.

Edit - price is less than a fiver a pint generally depending on the bar, maybe 4.50, 4 is low for Belfast.

Excellent, thank you very much. Staying at the maldron which is near al the places you mention (according to google maps). As you say, juts hope Covid allows us to enjoy the trip somewhat.

On 20/08/2020 at 08:22, BKLFox said:

Currently sizzling under the Cypriot ☀️ bit of a faff getting paperwork sorted as need to have a COVID test within 72hrs of flight and fill out a flight pass to board but nothing to difficult. Only worry was getting negative results back in time but these were texted & emailed back in under 16hrs from swabbing.

Our original flights were cancelled so rebooked and saved a fortune, well will have once refund goes through, and found the whole experience quite slick and very quite here in Cyprus, going through baggage/passport control was a breeze as our plane was the only 1 and that was about 3/4 full.

How is it Cyprus in terms of having to wear masks and social distancing ? We’re looking at going to paphos

3 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

How is it Cyprus in terms of having to wear masks and social distancing ? We’re looking at going to paphos

Pretty much like home, wear in shops, supermarkets but not in restaurants n bars although all the service staff do.

Flights really cheap and it’s very quiet , we are currently up Neo Chorio / Latchi beach area North of Paphos

Edited by BKLFox
  • Thanks 1