Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Me and the mrs are looking at Turkey for begining of October never been before. So any FT help would be great re places to go (beach holiday mainly) and what is their infection rate like? Are they likely to become a country to be put on the quarentine list? Dont really want to be shelling out hundreds on return flights if they are on the government watchlist and have to return early. I know its a risk wherever we go but we just want to try and minimise that risk. If not Turkey any other recomendations. Thank you.

40 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Never done an all inclusive before, but thinking of doing one in Turkey. Some really good prices out there.

Will book on late though, just in case they get added to the list beforehand.

Don't waste your time. Unless you have kids then there really is no reason for to go to an all inclusive in my opinion. A few reasons why not to

1) Most all inclusives or 5 star hotels are usually set away from the main resort/strip and you often have to taxi in.

2) You're sucking the money out of the local economy. Locals wont see the money and a lot of these all inclusives hotels are not even owned by a rich local. 

3) You usually have to be back at a certain time. This makes it a right pain in the arse when you're out and about as you want to justify the extra money you've spent on all inclusive by making sure you eat it but then you dont want to have to keep going back to your hotel in the evening for food as thats the time most people want to be out. 

4) The food is shit unless you're at an expensive/good hotel. Honestly I don't recommend all inclusive unless you're going to be staying in 5* hotel. I wouldn't eat the 4* hotel all inclusive in a place like Turkey in my opinion. 

5) Turkey is CHEAP. Not crazy cheap but cheap enough to not need to go all inclusive. 

6) Turkish people are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. they want your money and they do a good job of working for it. The service in Turkey is absolutely class. 

Can you tell I don't like all inclusives? :ph34r: To be fair though if you're the sort of person who can sit by the pool all day with a book and not bothered about going out (my literal worse nightmare for a holiday) then an all inclusive hotel is good for saving money. Personally the only reason i'd see to go to one is you have two or more children and thats because its cheaper and easier to go to an all inclusive. 

17 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

Me and the mrs are looking at Turkey for begining of October never been before. So any FT help would be great re places to go (beach holiday mainly) and what is their infection rate like? Are they likely to become a country to be put on the quarentine list? Dont really want to be shelling out hundreds on return flights if they are on the government watchlist and have to return early. I know its a risk wherever we go but we just want to try and minimise that risk. If not Turkey any other recomendations. Thank you.

My favourite place is Bodrum personally.Bars, restaurants, things to do but not quite as manic as other places. Younger people like Gumbet but it will be dead in October. Marmaris is usually the most popular destination although i've never been so can't vouch for it. Instalbul is the capital so it never goes out of season and there is a lot to do however its more city break style. 

Edited by Christoph
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Never done an all inclusive before, but thinking of doing one in Turkey. Some really good prices out there.

Will book on late though, just in case they get added to the list beforehand.

Only done all inclusive once, that was in Turkey, long queues for a half pint of crap beer put me off a bit, the food was nice though.

21 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

The weather in turkey is starting to turn around October, some nice days, some crap. If you're interested in a bit of history Altinkum and Kusudasi are worth seeing and nice places too. Marmaris is livelyish and it's beautiful around there.

• Thanks 2

I've plumped for all inclusive the last couple of times because there really hasn't been much difference in price compared to half board. We have a toddler so we don't venture too far in the day and drinks throughout the day is a bonus and we do it just for that. We treat it like a half board though sometimes and go out couple of times for meals and stuff in the evening. These days majority of all inclusive is not actually all inclusive which can be a pain and limited from 11am until 11pm. Although last one we stayed at in Almeria was decent. 

49 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Only done all inclusive once, that was in Turkey, long queues for a half pint of crap beer put me off a bit, the food was nice though.

The weather in turkey is starting to turn around October, some nice days, some crap. If you're interested in a bit of history Altinkum and Kusudasi are worth seeing and nice places too. Marmaris is livelyish and it's beautiful around there.

That's where we were looking at! It'd be the first week of October. A mate is staying in the same hotel lol

He said he went out into Kusudasi had drinks/food/taxis between two all for less than £50.

57 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Don't waste your time. Unless you have kids then there really is no reason for to go to an all inclusive in my opinion.

Can you tell I don't like all inclusives? :ph34r: To be fair though if you're the sort of person who can sit by the pool all day with a book and not bothered about going out (my literal worse nightmare for a holiday) then an all inclusive hotel is good for saving money. Personally the only reason i'd see to go to one is you have two or more children and thats because its cheaper and easier to go to an all inclusive. 

My favourite place is Bodrum personally.Bars, restaurants, things to do but not quite as manic as other places. Younger people like Gumbet but it will be dead in October. Marmaris is usually the most popular destination although i've never been so can't vouch for it. Instalbul is the capital so it never goes out of season and there is a lot to do however its more city break style. 

Yeah fair enough mate. I've never been drawn in by it before, but this year has been such a nightmare with holidays, that I just can't be arsed with any more plans falling through. Even if we did go all-inclusive, I'd want to go out at least a couple of days/nights.

Edited by RonnieTodger

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

That's where we were looking at! It'd be the first week of October. A mate is staying in the same hotel lol

He said he went out into Kusudasi had drinks/food/taxis between two all for less than £50.

That's where I went all inclusive, could quite easily be the same hotel. The Ephesus ruins were just 100 yards up the road. 

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve not booked anything for 2021yet. we’ll see how the landscape looks nearer to the time. 

We’ve only managed a last minute jaunt to Gran Canaria this year, after our trips to the Dominican and New York cancelled due to the virus.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sly said:

We’ve not booked anything for 2021yet. we’ll see how the landscape looks nearer to the time. 

We’ve only managed a last minute jaunt to Gran Canaria this year, after our trips to the Dominican and New York cancelled due to the virus.

Off to Gran Canaria in 2 weeks fingers crossed. Had to cancel Sicily in June, desperately need a holiday.

I have booked Sardinia for next June £58 flights, well worth taking the risk as I can afford to lose £58.

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Off to Gran Canaria in 2 weeks fingers crossed. Had to cancel Sicily in June, desperately need a holiday.

I have booked Sardinia for next June £58 flights, well worth taking the risk as I can afford to lose £58.

Sardinien is One of my favourite places...June is still reasonably Quiet ( depends  on Virus + Italian School Holiday changes)

Worth looking at AirBnbs, inland or direct on the beaches...or Agriturismo ( farms/vineyards For kids or just adults) some decent bargains...

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Sardinien is One of my favourite places...June is still reasonably Quiet ( depends  on Virus + Italian School Holiday changes)

Worth looking at AirBnbs, inland or direct on the beaches...or Agriturismo ( farms/vineyards For kids or just adults) some decent bargains...

I’ve never been, it’s a place I’ve always wanted to visit, I’ve only booked flights so probably will start looking at where to stay after my upcoming holiday.

Also hoping to go to Krakow March next year if Poland stays on the safe to travel list. Cheers for the advice on Sardinia, just be me and my lady friend 😝 so looking for nice beaches.

The weather here in Turkey is glorious. Its been around 30 degrees here everyday. Its not as cheap as it used to be, Wetherspoon prices rather than the dirt cheap it used to be. A beer costs around £2.50 although lots of places do happy hour. A meal is around 8 or 9 quid but the portions are huge. 

Went on a boat trip yesterday which was great fun. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’ve never been, it’s a place I’ve always wanted to visit, I’ve only booked flights so probably will start looking at where to stay after my upcoming holiday.

Also hoping to go to Krakow March next year if Poland stays on the safe to travel list. Cheers for the advice on Sardinia, just be me and my lady friend 😝 so looking for nice beaches.

Enough Beaches to Choose from...South Not so touristy...as the North tip...

S.east. Villasimius, long beaches...

you could tour,but I would advise,Not the whole Island..be relaxed Chose either North or south,with trips into the interior....

be Aware of long and Winding roads.but also nice walks ,including lakes & rivers in the interior...

to Show you are Spoilt for choice the Coast lines West or east around the central- belt of the Island are also beautiful...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

Just about to book some flights to Berlin for end of October, fingers crossed we actually get to go

I lived there before the Wall fell, my First daughter hecho in mexico born in Berlin....Returned a couple of times Business & pleasure..

Enough Things to see,enough things to do...Look on Internet before you go ...Chose your priorities....

Look for Music bars and old Cabaret clubs ( some with drag-artists,some Jazz/blues orientated) The old Berlin..The Eirerschale also a Good venue..

Student bars have also decent music..

Hop on Hop off busses...Old Gestapo Building Now a museum,Sundays/some evenings  in the Tiergarten...( Not the zoo,but the park),

Checkpoint-charlie...Now You have to bring a lot of imagination,i was there before the fall. but a small Museum towards the side.

Ask your hotel/guests about some of the unusual..."Das Kloe"  pub means toilet....you had to put in a Pfennig , Now a Cent to get in...

Restaurants abound...some can be found at the back or in the center of old buildings. 

31 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Enough Beaches to Choose from...South Not so touristy...as the North tip...

S.east. Villasimius, long beaches...

you could tour,but I would advise,Not the whole Island..be relaxed Chose either North or south,with trips into the interior....

be Aware of long and Winding roads.but also nice walks ,including make & rivers in the interior...

to Show you are Spoilt for choice the Coast lines West or east around the central- belt of the Island are also beautiful...

Ideally looking for somewhere quiet with good beaches and and a few decent restaurants 😊

Just now, fuchsntf said:

I lived there before the Wall fell, my First daughter hecho in mexico born in Berlin....Returned a couple of times Business & pleasure..

Enough Things to see,enough things to do...Look on Internet before you go ...Chose your priorities....

Look for Music bars and old Cabaret clubs ( some with drag-artists,some Jazz/blues orientated) The old Berlin..The Eirerschale also a Good venue..

Hop on Hop off busses...Old Gestapo Building Now a museum,Sundays/some evenings  in the Tiergarten...( Not the zoo,but the park),

Checkpoint-charlie...Now You have to bring a lot of imagination,i was there before the fall. but a small Museum towards the side.

Ask your hotel/guests about some of the unusual..."Das Kloe"  pub means toilet....you had to put in a Pfennig , Now a Cent to get in...

Restaurants abound...some can be found at the back or in the center of old buildings. 

We were so stupid when we went, only found a handful of restaurants 🙈 actually had tapas one night, I’m guessing some of the restaurants are hidden away?

4 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Thanks for that bud

5 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Stating the obvious but standing at the Brandenburg Gate was just amazing, it’s such an iconic landmark with so much history, I can recommend The Jewish museum as well, interesting but equally sad. Hope you get to go!

Cheers bud, look forward to it