Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Last year I booked a UK holiday for June 2020.  I tried to cancel it when I was placed in lockdown following the government directive to the 'extremely clinically vulnerable'.  The company I had booked with first didn't answer their phones, then removed the number from the website.  I then received an email advising me that holidays were being cancelled due to Covid restrictions, but that if they wished those who wanted to cancel a booking could get a voucher for a future holiday by accessing their account via the company website.  No refunds were offered.

After struggling with the company's website which demanded that I enter reasons for my cancellation then kept timing me out every 15 seconds I finally managed to access the correct screen, where I was presented with two options:

1.  I would like a voucher for a future holiday that had to be booked before 31 December 2019

2.  I didn't want a voucher

I hit 1 as 2 meant that I was voluntarily giving up my deposit but I felt like I was being railroaded.

I then received an email stating that I now had a voucher.  Earlier this month I received a reminder that I must activate my voucher before the end of the year or lose it.  So I went on line, picked out another holiday and tried to book.  It was then I discovered that the company would not let me use the voucher against the deposit required but promised to honour it when the balance was required.

I find this morally indefensible, and don't know if it is legally defensible.  I feel like that if I pay the second deposit the company could take that as easily as they took the first one; but if I don't book then they will take my original deposit without recompense.

My opinion of them is extremely low and my instinct is not to send them the second deposit and to try to recover the original.

Has anyone had any similar experiences or any knowledge of the legal position?

28 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Last year I booked a UK holiday for June 2020.  I tried to cancel it when I was placed in lockdown following the government directive to the 'extremely clinically vulnerable'.  The company I had booked with first didn't answer their phones, then removed the number from the website.  I then received an email advising me that holidays were being cancelled due to Covid restrictions, but that if they wished those who wanted to cancel a booking could get a voucher for a future holiday by accessing their account via the company website.  No refunds were offered.

After struggling with the company's website which demanded that I enter reasons for my cancellation then kept timing me out every 15 seconds I finally managed to access the correct screen, where I was presented with two options:

1.  I would like a voucher for a future holiday that had to be booked before 31 December 2019

I hit 1 as 2 meant that I was voluntarily giving up my deposit but I felt like I was being railroaded.

I then received an email stating that I now had a voucher.  Earlier this month I received a reminder that I must activate my voucher before the end of the year or lose it.  So I went on line, picked out another holiday and tried to book.  It was then I discovered that the company would not let me use the voucher against the deposit required but promised to honour it when the balance was required.

I find this morally indefensible, and don't know if it is legally defensible.  I feel like that if I pay the second deposit the company could take that as easily as they took the first one; but if I don't book then they will take my original deposit without recompense.

My opinion of them is extremely low and my instinct is not to send them the second deposit and to try to recover the original.

Have a look through Martin Lewis's Covid travel rights page, it was updated today & covers most things, then maybe even reach out to them to see where you stand.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

I really hope you get sorted and hopefully get a holiday, are you able to name the company? 

• Thanks 1

On 06/09/2020 at 16:49, Webbo said:

Booked 2 weeks in Thailand in February today. It takes 24 hours to get there, including a 3 hour 45 minute stopover in Doha. >_<

Still haven't had a confirmation email. Can't email them because they're hiding their email address, can't contact them through their app as I don't have a booking reference. I've been on hold over an hour trying to call them but nobody is picking up . TUI's service truly is the pits.

18 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

holidaycottages.co.uk which is part of The Travel Chapter Limited.

Lots of good reviews which I suppose you’ve already trawled through, and they seem to reply to any bad review they do get. 
Actually scrap the above after further investigation they don’t seem particularly reputable, accusations of profiteering from Covid etc seems there are unfortunately a lot of people in the same position as you 

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Still haven't had a confirmation email. Can't email them because they're hiding their email address, can't contact them through their app as I don't have a booking reference. I've been on hold over an hour trying to call them but nobody is picking up . TUI's service truly is the pits.

should of done it direct through the airline through something like skyscanner.net 

2 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

holidaycottages.co.uk which is part of The Travel Chapter Limited.

My totally untrained and uneducated opinion would be

1..Pay the deposit with your credit card and if you eventually get ripped by the tour operator, you can just claim the deposit back under the appeal procedure

Or

2. Ignore the holiday, write (yes write!) to the company with a reasonable 8 week timeline to reimburse the voucher value in cash and if you've not heard back within those 8 weeks you'll make a claim in the small claims court. At worst, the case arrives at the small claims court uncontested. There's no way they'll send a legal team to that

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If you still want to go are you able to book with someone else?

They're going to give us a ring back to discuss our options, looking on Jet2's site it looks like there are places in Greece and Portugal but I'm not sure if it's worth it anymore. 

36 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I was going to tenerife a week on tuesday, just had an email cancelling it. I'm gutted.

Sorry to rub it in, but I'm off to.mallorca tomorrow. 

I'm expecting it to be dead. But just one open bar, one open restaurant and sky sports will do....beach the rest of the time will entertain me. 

Hotel - bless 'em - rang me to see if I was still coming and said they'll upgrade to a suite, such was the relief when I said we were still on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Sorry to rub it in, but I'm off to.mallorca tomorrow. 

I'm expecting it to be dead. But just one open bar, one open restaurant and sky sports will do....beach the rest of the time will entertain me. 

Hotel - bless 'em - rang me to see if I was still coming and said they'll upgrade to a suite, such was the relief when I said we were still on.

We went to mainland Spain a few weeks ago just before their cases were starting to climb again, and everywhere was open as usual, they seem to take mask wearing and social distancing much more seriously over there but it never felt intrusive. I don't know what it's like now, obviously, but I hope you have a great time whatever you find open :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Does anyone have tips for things to do/places to eat/places to drink in the Peak District? Staying in Brassington and I’ve really no idea about anything location wise or how big the Peak District actually is tbh 

Doing pub crawls,could be strenuous...

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Does anyone have tips for things to do/places to eat/places to drink in the Peak District? Staying in Brassington and I’ve really no idea about anything location wise or how big the Peak District actually is tbh 

An old Friend just finished Hiking around the Peak District.....He told me a few eating places closed early...worth Calling & reserving a table....He was with some locals...for the walks...So be doesn't Really know how the foot fall is.

He told me he walked to the Brassington Miner Arms....had a Good evening...Also spoke about the Old gate INN....

Got back from Turkey yesterday, Istanbul is an incredible city! For some reason I had no idea how huge it is, everything is dirt cheap and there are so many districts worth visiting. The Bosphorus being in the middle of the city makes for amazing views and great rooftop restaurants and bars, and there is loads of amazing history and sights to see. Lots of mask adherence in Turkey, even everywhere outdoors - there have been questions about whether they’re falsifying their statistics but it wouldn’t surprise me if cases are genuinely steady, albeit it’s hard to conclude from Istanbul and the other more touristy beach town we went to.

On 10/09/2020 at 21:29, Samilktray said:

You're right at the south end there but Carsington Water's nice for a little walk. Both Buxton and Bakewell are worth visiting for a day out, and if you enjoy scenic driving I'd recommend the drive between the two. If you're there on a Sunday get yourself booked in for a carvery at The Bear, in Alderwasley. Proper, and they do Thornbridge Jaipur too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Got back from Turkey yesterday, Istanbul is an incredible city! For some reason I had no idea how huge it is, everything is dirt cheap and there are so many districts worth visiting. The Bosphorus being in the middle of the city makes for amazing views and great rooftop restaurants and bars, and there is loads of amazing history and sights to see. Lots of mask adherence in Turkey, even everywhere outdoors - there have been questions about whether they’re falsifying their statistics but it wouldn’t surprise me if cases are genuinely steady, albeit it’s hard to conclude from Istanbul and the other more touristy beach town we went to.

Im going Marmaris on Sunday. Did you pay for your visa when you arrived, I can't seem to do it online. 

26 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Im going Marmaris on Sunday. Did you pay for your visa when you arrived, I can't seem to do it online. 

As of March 2020 you don't need a Visa as a Brit entering Turkey - I had a panic the day before I went, and the initial Internet search was very unclear, but the government website cleared it up: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/entry-requirements#:~:text=Regular entry requirements&text=British Citizens travelling to Turkey,in any 180-day period.&text=You'll need to apply,Consulate General before you travel.

Enjoy your holiday!

Edited by theessexfox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

You dont  need a visa,presuming you have a UK passport...

Covid, regulations Changing through Europe/Asian borders everyday,so you have to do your own homework....

Masks Mandatory in shops,public places,in some areas on the street...Control No idea...!!

If in Doubt Phone Marmaris....(seriously)

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

You dont  need a visa,presuming you have a UK passport...

Covid, regulations Changing through Europe/Asian borders everyday,so you have to do your own homework....

Masks Mandatory in shops,public places,in some areas on the street...Control No idea...!!

If in Doubt Phone Marmaris....(seriously)

In Istanbul mask adherence was pretty impressive, nearly everyone was wearing one in public, even outdoors. There seemed to be little enforcement, and in the coastal resort we went to people were adhering slightly less outside and no one minded too much, but still no crowds, and waiters/shop assistants tended to be wearing them. The numbers are pretty stable and have been for a few weeks, so although things can change quickly, it looks good for avoiding the quarantine list for some time.

9 hours ago, theessexfox said:

In Istanbul mask adherence was pretty impressive, nearly everyone was wearing one in public, even outdoors. There seemed to be little enforcement, and in the coastal resort we went to people were adhering slightly less outside and no one minded too much, but still no crowds, and waiters/shop assistants tended to be wearing them. The numbers are pretty stable and have been for a few weeks, so although things can change quickly, it looks good for avoiding the quarantine list for some time.

:fc: