Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

6 hours ago, Wolfox said:

It’s a lovely town…. I worked there quite regularly…

It is eye wateringly expensive…

There is a lovely food market with lots of nice places to eat (great fish of course)….  I also ate a Try some aquavit ligne too

The Munch museum is great

apple strudel is very good!

Walk around the opera house in the harbour

I ate at a very nice restaurant called Katla with some colleagues 

managed to do some work too - promise!!!

6 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

It was a quick in and out trip with some off here to meet friends from Valerenga's ultras group so not much site seeing.

The old area of Valerenga was very quaint especially around the Church.

Remember Cafe Sara being reasonably by Oslo prices for drink and it did do food but we did not eat there. It was on Hausmanns gate which looked to be a nice area with lots of small bars and restaurants. 

Excellent thanks both, i've noted what you've said down, appreciated. Yeh it's ridiculously expensive i'm sure, been to Copenhagen and Stockholm before which were both absurd, but I'm led to believe Oslo is even pricier. Oh well, it's either that or a few days in Bangor, so i'll have to hold my breath and just pay up!

• Like 1

Booked 5 nights away in an old cottage in a village near Winchester. Any tips on stuff to do around there? I know southampton is about half an hour away so will have a trip down there, any nice beaches or anything? We quite like small ones with rocks etc we can climb over, not too fussed about a sandy beach.

7 hours ago, Kopic said:

Booked 5 nights away in an old cottage in a village near Winchester. Any tips on stuff to do around there? I know southampton is about half an hour away so will have a trip down there, any nice beaches or anything? We quite like small ones with rocks etc we can climb over, not too fussed about a sandy beach.

Beaches are mainly shingle.

Bournemouth is of course sand but may well be crowded and is further away,

The descriptions here seem accurate

https://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/south-west-england/hampshire/top-10-beaches

Portsmouth dockyard is very good (Hms victory etc)  but unfortunately closed. Both aircraft carriers are in port currently buts again the harbour tours aren’t running.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kopic said:

Winchester is nice, went to the xmas market there last year. Southsea / Portsmouth is a really nice seaside place. You can walk down the seafront from Henry VIII castle to the dock yard. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kopic said:

Being inland, Winchester isn't really what I would call close to any beaches. If you don't mind travelling for them the Dorset coast is a treat and there are plenty of beaches, both sandy and pebble, but will be a bit of a trek. But you will find little coves. The nicest beaches to you will probably be Highcliffe, Christchurch, Milford on Sea and places along that stretch. All beautiful, sandy, and popular! For walking the New Forest is closer, and Portsmouth is nice for shopping but there's really not much to see in Southampton. Southsea will be your closest beach I guess, think a condensed Skegness. 

The National Motor Museum is at Beaulieu, if that's of interest it's a good half day out, you can do the New Forest in the same day. It's a beautiful part of the country so enjoy whatever you do 😊

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If anyone is going abroad and wants to bring me back some B&H Gold or Marlborough Red duty frees I'd be very happy!

Absolute nightmare paying full price from the shops since we haven't been able to go abroad lol

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Absolute nightmare paying full price from the shops since we haven't been able to go abroad lol

I always stock up when away but this pandemic has wiped me out.

Might just about get to the weekend before running out.

Prepared to smoke cheap ciggies in the short term - any suggestions on brands which are sub £10?

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Prepared to smoke cheap ciggies in the short term - any suggestions on brands which are sub £10?

Not from me I'm afraid, I'm a Marlboro Gold girl, and the price is eye watering in the UK :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If anyone is going abroad and wants to bring me back some B&H Gold or Marlborough Red duty frees I'd be very happy!

25 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Have you considered vaping instead mate? Loads cheaper and still get your nicotine fix.

I switched to vaping about 5 years ago and haven't had a fag since. Would recommend :thumbup:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Have you considered vaping instead mate? Loads cheaper and still get your nicotine fix.

I switched to vaping about 5 years ago and haven't had a fag since. Would recommend :thumbup:

Or they could just quit. Novel, I know.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Found a good deal on a weekend in Prague in October but all this coronavirus business has me a little bit apprehensive about booking tbh

Personally I’d book it, I love to travel and see different places, Prague in October should provide only a minimal risk as things stand. Hope you decide to go.

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Found a good deal on a weekend in Prague in October but all this coronavirus business has me a little bit apprehensive about booking tbh

More chance of getting crabs over there mate, get it booked.

Might approach their tourist board with that slogan.

Edited by Costock_Fox

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

I use foxestalk for my vaping needs....:celebrate:

On 25/07/2020 at 12:47, Kopic said:

Stonehenge..Salisbury plains, for your wife Jane Austens house museum,....

for you the Military Museums, 5 collected located together,including the Ghurka. .The Royal Green Jacket Hussars, etc etc..then Winchester itself...lll

Further located places, also might Not Open their Top sites....5 Nights ...enjoy Local areas & culture.....I

Hampshire has alot to offer, The New Forest,on nice days,just a beautiful Natural whole day retreat...or itself an Holiday on its own..!!

Nice Country pubs or restaurants in and around Winchester.....

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Thanks 1

Just a tip/suggestion with quarantine being threatened for foreign travel...

If you consider UK is expensive, then better to go for a Shorter time, but have a Great few days,than hassel in travelling back...

UK counties, have alot to offer..refind your History & Close or distant neighbours...Beaches Dont have to be a must ,look for wild swimming,

Child Safe or Action areas in small lakes & rivers...

6 hours travelling with Airport Plus transit....Then take an alternative a 4-5hr driving  trip,with rest stops,or longer with

Stay over as Part of the Holiday experience,Brings Cornwall,Somerset....Northumberland & Scotland into the spectrum....

Do B&B...Hotel... static home/Caravan tour or mixed..!!!

Create your One tour..ffs  Today with internet,it aint Rocket science,

Plus always ask if Stop over & destinations have corvid-cancellation  insurance,with or without Insurance costs,

just location-customer agreements....I  my son,and One of my daughters, had Agreements with either Campsites or Hotels..!!

My sister in the UK also found locations that agreed terms with /if Corvid relevant cancel complications...I

Organise your own shit,it aint difficult....

Oh and everyone in the UK just get use to wearing facemasks.....or Stay at home...!!!

Edited by fuchsntf

Honestly can't think of anything worse than going away on holiday at the moment.

As much as I love them and everything, I've been cooped up with the wife and kids in a house for 4 months - really don't want to be cooped up with them in a room for fortnight.

(And yes, i'm sure they feel the same)!  

Would be nice to offload the kids for a long weekend and spend some grown up time away, though...Lockdown has now merged with the summer holidays and it's getting a bit much :frantics: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Desperate to book Malta for a fortnight in November, I've been there at that time of year plenty of times, the weather is still beautiful, and obviously the prices are coming down. Too risky yet though? 

I’m looking at the same debs, only for a week.

We normally go lanzarote in October half term but I can see that being very popular. My kids only took 5 weeks off in lockdown, their mates were off for the whole thing, I won’t feel guilty no more for term time break.

• Like 1

Back to work tomorrow after 17 days off. Much needed. Me and those not furloughed have been worked to near death in April, May and June. 

Dreading going back to the DEFCON 1 tomorrow. 

Only cure is booking another holiday! Boys trip to.mallorca in September sorted ....to hell with quarantine!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Absolute bargain, I have just booked Easy Jet flights to Sardinia next June £56 return

From Luton but hey ho 

Not sure when you last went to Luton but the airport has improved significantly in the last 12-18months! 

Bargain for there though in middle of summer. Nice.