Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Unfortunately, it's very true.

I spent some time backpacking there with an erstwhile gf and it was a bloody nightmare - constant sexual harassment (despite my presence).

I've also been many times to different areas with two different girlfriends, my wife, two daughters and my grandchildren. Although I did witness it sometimes myself I can honestly say it isn't everywhere. I've backpacked there, spent a lot of time diving (although not for a while now) but mainly Birdwatching/exploring. I've taken guides and met some fantastic Egyptians who have been nothing but gracious.

I just don't like the whole race being tainted by some experiences (albeit quite common according to Reddit).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jgtuk said:

I've also been many times to different areas with two different girlfriends, my wife, two daughters and my grandchildren. Although I did witness it sometimes myself I can honestly say it isn't everywhere. I've backpacked there, spent a lot of time diving (although not for a while now) but mainly Birdwatching/exploring. I've taken guides and met some fantastic Egyptians who have been nothing but gracious.

I just don't like the whole race being tainted by some experiences (albeit quite common according to Reddit).

I don't think race had anything to do with it. Just seems that if you're a woman in Egypt then your experience is quite different to a man's. But considering most of the people in this forum are blokes it's probably more overlooked. 

You even said you did witness it sometimes. I mean...that's the point isn't it? You don't witness that in other countries lol. You're not getting pervy men ogling at your daughter when your in the market or being creepy to your mrs the 2 minutes your away from her. 

I'm just saying it don't sound the greatest place to go if you're a woman and I doubt THAT many people on reddit all have the same agenda lol. But hey...maybe the tourism board for Morocco and Tunisia are trying to take away some Egyptian tourists and are spreading a misinformation campaign against Egypt lol 

9 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Sure.

Nonetheless, while I readily agree it isn't everyone, in my experience it was everywhere.

That said, it was in the 80s, so maybe things might have improved a little with increased contact with Westerners.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

Just now, Christoph said:

I don't think race had anything to do with it. Just seems that if you're a woman in Egypt then your experience is quite different to a man's. But considering most of the people in this forum are blokes it's probably more overlooked. 

You even said you did witness it sometimes. I mean...that's the point isn't it? You don't witness that in other countries lol. You're not getting pervy men ogling at your daughter when your in the market or being creepy to your mrs the 2 minutes your away from her. 

I'm just saying it don't sound the greatest place to go if you're a woman and I doubt THAT many people on reddit all have the same agenda lol. But hey...maybe the tourism board for Morocco and Tunisia are trying to take away some Egyptian tourists and are spreading a misinformation campaign against Egypt lol 

Well I can only speak of my own experience... I've witnessed this sort of behaviour in a few places sadly, it's not exclusive to Egypt and certainly not all Egyptian men. I've also met quite a few western women solo travelling in Egypt. I'm not excusing the acts or denying that they happen, it's more a case of being aware and prepared for each country you travel to. If you got to red Sea resorts you are far less likely to see it. If you go to Cairo, then yes,be prepared. Don't boycott the country based on what Reddit says, it's an amazing place to visit.

1 minute ago, jgtuk said:

Well I can only speak of my own experience... I've witnessed this sort of behaviour in a few places sadly, it's not exclusive to Egypt and certainly not all Egyptian men. I've also met quite a few western women solo travelling in Egypt. I'm not excusing the acts or denying that they happen, it's more a case of being aware and prepared for each country you travel to. If you got to red Sea resorts you are far less likely to see it. If you go to Cairo, then yes,be prepared. Don't boycott the country based on what Reddit says, it's an amazing place to visit.

I think the point being made is that the problem seems FAR worse in Egypt in comparison to any other "tourist" country. 

8 minutes ago, Buce said:

Sure.

Nonetheless, while I readily agree it isn't everyone, in my experience it was everywhere.

That said, it was in the 80s, so maybe things might have improved a little with increased contact with Westerners.

Sad if that was your case. My last trip was on local buses in Sinai, a proper mix of locals, workers and travellers. Met a Beduoin chap who promised if I went to walk Mt Sinai he would meet me there and guide me. I said I was hoping to walk at night (because of the heat) in a few days time. When I got there he was waiting for me and we walked and talked together reaching the summit as dawn broke. His story moved me greatly but he was fiercely proud and very protective of his way of life.  This is his picture halfway back down.

IMG_3019.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I think the point being made is that the problem seems FAR worse in Egypt in comparison to any other "tourist" country. 

I appreciate what you're saying. I just happen to disagree re Egyptian men being slimy bastards... I've also seen the same said of Turkey, Tunisia, Morocco, Pakistan, India etc

Don't let hearsay put you off, there are great places/people to meet all over the world.

My personal favourites were Iranians.

4 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Sad if that was your case. My last trip was on local buses in Sinai, a proper mix of locals, workers and travellers. Met a Beduoin chap who promised if I went to walk Mt Sinai he would meet me there and guide me. I said I was hoping to walk at night (because of the heat) in a few days time. When I got there he was waiting for me and we walked and talked together reaching the summit as dawn broke. His story moved me greatly but he was fiercely proud and very protective of his way of life.  This is his picture halfway back down.

IMG_3019.jpg

I had a similar experience with the Bedouin; When I hiked in the Negev desert I stayed in their encampments and found them to be thoroughly decent and welcoming people.

The Bedouin are culturally different to the Arabs, though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Buce said:

I had a similar experience with the Bedouin; When I hiked in the Negev desert I stayed in their encampments and found them to be thoroughly decent and welcoming people.

The Bedouin are culturally different to the Arabs, though.

Absolutely, I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

I have a friend who runs birdwatching tours in the Negev region, he's based near to the Nahal Sheizaf Nature Reserve I think. I keep meaning to have a trip but, too many places I still want to visit :D, especially after the last couple of years which I've mostly spent at home or locally hillwalking (Wales).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Absolutely, I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

I have a friend who runs birdwatching tours in the Negev region, he's based near to the Nahal Sheizaf Nature Reserve I think. I keep meaning to have a trip but, too many places I still want to visit :D, especially after the last couple of years which I've mostly spent at home or locally hillwalking (Wales).

I know where you mean - I've been there - but it's not in the Negev region, it's in the North near Haifa iirc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Buce said:

I know where you mean - I've been there - but it's not in the Negev region, it's in the North near Haifa iirc.

Yes.He's based there but he does bird tours which include the Negev Desert. Sorry, I'm not very good at this internet thing :D

Edited by jgtuk
SP
  • Haha 1

Not really a holiday but going to Manchester this weekend for 2 nights and staying near Deansgate. Can anyone suggest a couple of good restaurants and bars to go to?

I've been told that the Northern quarter is good but don't even know where to start looking at going?

24 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

Not really a holiday but going to Manchester this weekend for 2 nights and staying near Deansgate. Can anyone suggest a couple of good restaurants and bars to go to?

I've been told that the Northern quarter is good but don't even know where to start looking at going?

From personal experience two weeks ago, we had a few drinks in NQ. Think it gets quite busy at night but now that restrictions are lifted, should be easier to get around. Anyway, some places I enjoyed:

Beatnikz Republic (craft beer)

Port Street Beer House

Lots of quirky places round there. If you have a browse you should be able to find your way around and into places pretty easily. Lots of bars near each other.

Cannot really judge the food/restaurant side.

• Like 1

Has anyone been to Benidorm other than with mates drinking? Since we moved here it's the one place my teenage daughter has wanted to visit, so we're going for a week next Saturday. 

Can someone please give me some hope that it's not all English bars and all day breakfasts? We'll have the car, so we can drive a bit further out if needs be 

20 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Has anyone been to Benidorm other than with mates drinking? Since we moved here it's the one place my teenage daughter has wanted to visit, so we're going for a week next Saturday. 

Can someone please give me some hope that it's not all English bars and all day breakfasts? We'll have the car, so we can drive a bit further out if needs be 

It’s all English bars and all day breakfast AND Sticky Vicky. Would recommend.

• Haha 1

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

It’s all English bars and all day breakfast AND Sticky Vicky. Would recommend.

I knew I'd get this sort of response, and especially from you, glad to see you didn't let me down lol

Anyone else? 

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

I knew I'd get this sort of response, and especially from you, glad to see you didn't let me down lol

Anyone else? 

Lol I’ve honestly never seen sticky Vicky and it’s genuinely my worst nightmare… I’m more of a badminton kind of guy.

But yeah it’s basically England abroad and exactly as you describe.

29 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yep, just a group of about 20 and the drinking starts straight after breakfast ....   but it is a vibrant place Debs and good to sit at a seafront bar and people watch.   Some lovely restaurants too for the more discerning piss heads in our group (Ie the ones who drink a nice bottle of red after the shed load of San Miguels) ..  :)    You'll enjoy it Debs.  

48 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Benidorm circa1950

1925.jpg

Benidorm now:

1295-large-beec8ee7af3f721277c80deed1f53

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Benidorm circa1950

1925.jpg

Benidorm now:

1295-large-beec8ee7af3f721277c80deed1f53

It's quite ironic, we had a really hard time booking somewhere to stay for the week. All the hotels look like the photo, the views are literally other hotels! Really not great. 

We've gone for a glorified camp site in the end because it has some outside space, and the accommodation looks pretty spacious. 

I don't mind a token look around the 'English' Benidorm, mobility scooters and all, but it's really not my idea of a fab week away. 

Incidentally I have heard that it has been like a completely different place since the Brits haven't been there, but presumably that will have changed again by the time we get there next week. I have also heard that the old town is lovely, it's just a shame about the rest of it. 

Wish me luck! 

8 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

I might book to go to Malta in August if it remains on the green list. 

Any advice on which area to stay for a couple who love history/sightseeing combined with a kid who hates history/sightseeing? 

I love Malta, and I've been several times, albeit without my children though. 

It depends on how old your child is really, and what they do like doing?

There aren't really many beaches as such, Mellieha has one, and I think St Paul's Bay? Otherwise everything is centered around Valletta and it's historic sites, there are a couple of decent war museums if that's your thing, and Valletta itself is beautiful. Mdina is also lovely, but as a whole Malta doesn't really have much to offer children if they just want 'fun' things to do.

Buggibba is very English touristy, and I've never been, but it may have more for children? 

Marsaxxlok is a very pretty fishing village, and their's a great boat trip round the caves. The ferry ride to Gozo is a must do as well, but again, not really much for children to actually do once you're there, Malta is all about the history really. The citadella in Victoria is amazing though. 

If I think of anything else I'll post again. 

Edited by FoxesDeb
  • Thanks 1

On 21/07/2021 at 17:31, jgtuk said:

I appreciate what you're saying. I just happen to disagree re Egyptian men being slimy bastards... I've also seen the same said of Turkey, Tunisia, Morocco, Pakistan, India etc

Don't let hearsay put you off, there are great places/people to meet all over the world.

My personal favourites were Iranians.

I took my family-expidition Truck through These countrries, sometimes my petite-Wife with small Children ,Drove through parts herself...

nothing but utter respect, protective-caring-thoughts, from villagers,Beduins,dacoit-villages,

lorry drivers & Desert-trucksstops & small bazaars or remote markets. lorry-Drivers offering Basic maintenance support...Why ?? Because

even After 3-15 months and 1000 of  covered miles...Long-haul travellers or Drivers remember a white AL28 and the occupants who without question

would Stop for a Driver in Trouble ,Stuck on a high Mountain landslide, Fjord on a river-bend, or a deep sand-bunker After sand-storms..

Having the right Equivalent helps...but you Stop & help in Torrents of Rain or baking sun, its strange how info Travels quick,through the lands & across borders.

Pakistanis,Indian,Iranians Irakis Afghanistans alike...know how to treat and respect a guest..

and are proud & honoured to return Favours & help.

My Wife when alone  & years later my daughter,travelling with Another girl, received the Protection & respect, from the Societies through various groups/villagers they met.

Europeans in contrast...The less said the better..!!  Men  can be a Bit mouthy,no idea how to approach others,Pump them with beer and they are all studs, and pushy, ogling stalkers...!!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1