Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

9 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Lol I’ve honestly never seen sticky Vicky and it’s genuinely my worst nightmare… I’m more of a badminton kind of guy.

But yeah it’s basically England abroad and exactly as you describe.

Not quite true...Cross The Road & its budget-families-Germany abroad..

Though Deep into the Native Suburbs there were a couple of Great World-class International recognised Flamenco Tapas bar/restaurants..

Going back some...40+years, I was Fortunate to See with my Girlfriend Now Wife to See in Benidorm an International World-Class 

Flamenco tournament, around 4-6 tapas & open-air stages...Bloody marvellous. Honoured to  be taken up, by a Gypsie-flamenco-Family who

competed, But had Time to guide and inform us over the History of Flamenco and gatherings...

Introduced us  to high-Class Family Don & Dona family steeped over 300yrs Flamenco Mixed with Sherry -history Living in a Village  outside Benidorm...

A young couple Learnt alot on that trip...

That was a different Benidorm....!!!

Does anyone have recent experience of travel abroad, in particular around doing the pre-departure test and Day 2 test?

If I understand correctly, it is probably best to do the pre-return to UK test in the country you are in (e.g. Spain). Then Day 2 test just has to be sorted in advance to enter onto the passenger locator form. Do they follow up on you actually doing the PCR test and do they ensure you get a result within the 2 days?

I have tried to read up on it all but there is not much info out there really other than the basics.

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Does anyone have recent experience of travel abroad, in particular around doing the pre-departure test and Day 2 test?

If I understand correctly, it is probably best to do the pre-return to UK test in the country you are in (e.g. Spain). Then Day 2 test just has to be sorted in advance to enter onto the passenger locator form. Do they follow up on you actually doing the PCR test and do they ensure you get a result within the 2 days?

I have tried to read up on it all but there is not much info out there really other than the basics.

Yeh just came back from Santorini. Did the pre departure PCR test at a hospital in Santorini. No chance that was ever going to be positive, barely a swab of my cheek from the nurse, get out of my country basically.

Day 2 PCR test booked in advance of leaving the UK. You just need the confirmation number of this test to fill in your passenger locator form for arrival back into the UK. I highly doubt they will follow up on whether you actually do the test on day 2 or not.

They checked none of my documents (vaccince certification, PLF forms, negative test results etc) but no way its worth taking the risk of not having the correct documentation in place.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh just came back from Santorini. Did the pre departure PCR test at a hospital in Santorini. No chance that was ever going to be positive, barely a swab of my cheek from the nurse, get out of my country basically.

Day 2 PCR test booked in advance of leaving the UK. You just need the confirmation number of this test to fill in your passenger locator form for arrival back into the UK. I highly doubt they will follow up on whether you actually do the test on day 2 or not.

They checked none of my documents (vaccince certification, PLF forms, negative test results etc) but no way its worth taking the risk of not having the correct documentation in place.

Thanks for that. Did you pay for the test in Santorini or did they do it for free?

I am on track to finally get back over to Germany in mid August to see the family and just trying to get ahead of the game. The local test centre has already said they will do the lateral flow test for us (for free I think) and it meets the requirements.

As you say, no point risking it in the hope customs don't check, would rather be prepared. Found a local company in Bitteswell (Lutterworth) who do Day 2 tests for £40 including Royal Mail Tracked both ways.

7 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Agree with everything you say. It's highly probable you could put any old shite for  the confirmation number. How the fck the government would know what some random.lutterworth company does for an ordering system? 

Next time abroad, I'll  take my own Lateral flow and 'self.certify' ....as any old quack is.providing certification for 40 quid when abroad. My own self certification would be just as legit, if not more so.

An absolute fcking sham. It's nothing to do with safety. It is punitive measures to discourage punters from travelling. Pure and simple spite. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Thanks for that. Did you pay for the test in Santorini or did they do it for free?

I am on track to finally get back over to Germany in mid August to see the family and just trying to get ahead of the game. The local test centre has already said they will do the lateral flow test for us (for free I think) and it meets the requirements.

As you say, no point risking it in the hope customs don't check, would rather be prepared. Found a local company in Bitteswell (Lutterworth) who do Day 2 tests for £40 including Royal Mail Tracked both ways.

Paid €60 in Santorini for the test. £40 for day 2 is very good

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Agree with everything you say. It's highly probable you could put any old shite for  the confirmation number. How the fck the government would know what some random.lutterworth company does for an ordering system? 

Next time abroad, I'll  take my own Lateral flow and 'self.certify' ....as any old quack is.providing certification for 40 quid when abroad. My own self certification would be just as legit, if not more so.

An absolute fcking sham. It's nothing to do with safety. It is punitive measures to discourage punters from travelling. Pure and simple spite. 

Can you self certify???

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Can you self certify???

I doubt it. But the certificate my supposed doctor gave me was just a word document he'd printed off. And then stamped. There is no way in a million years the check in desk knew whether it was legit or not. 

However, as a previous poster said, you are taking a minor risk. So I swallowed the pill and bought a day 2 test with.a reference number and bought a lateral.flow with a quick doctor for the sake of 80 quid the risk isn't worth the reward. 

It's just annoying as, basically, we have been fleeced of 80 quid for spite. Not safety. It's just a hurdle to dissuade people from travel.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

Thinking about booking somewhere in Russia for New Year.

Is that a bit mental or will the temperature not be ridiculously bad?

Have never been (but would love to - in warm weather).

Many parts of Russia very rarely get above freezing in December (Moscow and St Petersburg for example).

I guess getting around there will be fine, as they are certainly used to it, but any sightseeing will be bloody cold.

Their airports will certainly be on top of snow clearance and de-icing.

19 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Have never been (but would love to - in warm weather).

Many parts of Russia very rarely get above freezing in December (Moscow and St Petersburg for example).

I guess getting around there will be fine, as they are certainly used to it, but any sightseeing will be bloody cold.

Their airports will certainly be on top of snow clearance and de-icing.

This is it, the infrastructure to deal with freezing temperatures is obviously there.

If we keep moving i'm sure sightseeing etc will be fine!

We're going on a bit of a road trip this weekend, starting off with 2 nights in Valencia. Has anyone got any recommendations while we're there? Next week we move on to Sitges for 4 nights, so we'll have at least one day in Barcelona, then we've got a night each in Tarragona and Denia. 

Really looking forward to it, apart from the week with the kids in Benidorm we haven't really seen much of Spain since we moved here! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

We're going on a bit of a road trip this weekend, starting off with 2 nights in Valencia. Has anyone got any recommendations while we're there? Next week we move on to Sitges for 4 nights, so we'll have at least one day in Barcelona, then we've got a night each in Tarragona and Denia. 

Really looking forward to it, apart from the week with the kids in Benidorm we haven't really seen much of Spain since we moved here! 

Forgot to quote you but just posted a recommendation 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Sitges is nice…. I stayed for two nights about 4 years ago…. The nightlife appeared to be ‘exotic’ and was the scene for one of my most eventful runs…. I set off at 6am from my hotel and was confronted by the cast of Mario kart walking towards me…. I also ran in front of a beach cafe and saw one young gentleman giving another young gentleman mouth to mouth (but apparently he missed by half a body length)

good seafood and beautiful beach…. Have fun

Barcelona is ace but I suspect you know all about that!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

We're going on a bit of a road trip this weekend, starting off with 2 nights in Valencia. Has anyone got any recommendations while we're there? 

The old town of El Carmen is packed with little streets and squares to wonder around. I love the back streets with all the street art and graffiti set against the lovely old apartment blocks. The biggest old town in Spain I've heard, so you can spend plenty of time in there.  Plaza de la Virgen is beautiful and right in the middle.

Plaza del Ayuntamiento is cool area as well just outside the old town, loads of restaurants just off the square.

Another cool area is near Mercat de Colon. Head for Carrer del Comte d'Altea. Loads of bars and restaurants there. 

If you want a real local vibe with tons of stuff at night head to Russafa..Carrer de Cuba, Sueca, Cadis and all the streets off them and you're in cafe culture heaven. It'll be buzzing Saturday evening. I'll always mention this area and also the bar Bella de Cadis. It's so cool for a Cocktail.

I could go on and on but I'm sure I've bored people to death taking about Valencia.

One more thing is Turia Gardens, it's a beautiful stroll, especially in the morning when it's nice and fresh. Even if you just do a small section as it's about 7km long.

Edited by Soup
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Soup said:

The old town of El Carmen is packed with little streets and squares to wonder around. I love the back streets with all the street art and graffiti set against the lovely old apartment blocks. The biggest old town in Spain I've heard, so you can spend plenty of time in there.  Plaza de la Virgen is beautiful and right in the middle.

Plaza del Ayuntamiento is cool area as well just outside the old town, loads of restaurants just off the square.

Another cool area is near Mercat de Colon. Head for Carrer del Comte d'Altea. Loads of bars and restaurants there. 

If you want a real local vibe with tons of stuff at night head to Russafa..Carrer de Cuba, Sueca, Cadis and all the streets off them and you're in cafe culture heaven. It'll be buzzing Saturday evening. I'll always mention this area and also the bar Bella de Cadis. It's so cool for a Cocktail.

I could go on and on but I'm sure I've bored people to death taking about Valencia.

One more thing is Turia Gardens, it's a beautiful stroll, especially in the morning when it's nice and fresh. Even if you just do a small section as it's about 7km long.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Our hotel is just across the road from the gardens, and we will definitely check out some of the places you mentioned too. 

Can't wait to get there! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Thanks, that's really helpful. Our hotel is just across the road from the gardens, and we will definitely check out some of the places you mentioned too. 

Can't wait to get there! 

I'm sure you'll have a great time and enjoy the rest of your trip as well.

Oh and if you see huge cartoon sculptures around the city they're for Fallas next week. The festival is being toned down this year but the figures will go up in smoke as usual ( what a waste lol)

On 26/08/2021 at 18:51, FoxesDeb said:

Where ever you go or live, get into the culture,

Mix & Interface with the Spanish they are so open,laugh with you & Not against, ,when picking up the language.

Local flamenco Tapas-bars, will help you understand a lot about the Spanish ,kids are Welcome even at the later shows

One can Interface with the folk & participants, the Dance is Dynamic & something suprisingly even young kids often Fall for.

unfortunately Covid, aus had a massive Effect on the business...

Even if your against "Bull-fighting" introduce the kids & yourself to "the Story & history"

of This life,they will make up their Minds in the issues & Morals themselves.

Not all Spanish Love Flamenco & Bullfighting, but part of the Spanish-life & phsyc, is Open &  on show around these two past-times..

Estilo da vida will often be involved also  in some sport or other...

If you have decided to live in Spain ( also relevant to other countries) ,go where the locals go not where the Tourists go,

Dont get to know Spain as a tourist/traveller, But as a local....The classic important tourist destinations, you will get to automatically see anyway...

Local small & Major festivals,are better seen from the locals Insight & eye..sometimes travelling with little gathered information & dropping in a

Local- Cafe or tavern,  and interfacing with the guys/gals on the Next table of all ages,opens up the Country for you...

Like Italy , These People can go to any fete/Festival ( even in wine-regions) & they dont need alcohol, to make a day or night of it..

Thats Another thing, you are in Spain,   so talking ( or any bartering), exchanging info or just plain niceties, is not a rushed sort of  e

I loved Spain, in my time, but the World has turned a few more times since then, the chasm between City folk, provincial,  & Village life can be sometimes

massive, But Now with  foreigners & the Spanish themselves Investing in 2nd or Holiday homes, in more Quiet surrounds, will have changed it somewhat..

What ever your reasons, I wish you & your Family all the best in Building a new life & path...

• Thanks 1

Turkey, for October half-term, cancelled t'other day. Third time, now, having been originally booked pre-pandemic. Took advantage of Tui's 20% incentive to book for Cyprus, for roughly the same time, so have been able to upgrade to a swim-up room. Covid testing packages are also decently priced at 20 quid a pop for antigen tests to return and Day 2 tests to drop in the post.

Also booked Warsaw for the Europa League game, but having to source my own Covid tests for this one. Wednesday night out, Friday morning back, so just trying to navigate the minefield of ridiculous testing charges. Anyone have any experience of cheap, government-approved companies? Seen c19testing.co.uk for the antigen, but can't really figure out if they're government approved for return to the UK, or even how the whoke thing works. There's also a company in the Highcross which does Day 2 relatively cheap if you pop in to do it. They seem to be approved.

From what I understand (and if anyone could correct me if i'm wrong, it'd be appreciated), antigen test for return needs to be done 72 hours before departure. This surely means I can do it any time after Tuesday morning - effectively before I've even left the UK in the first place?

We were just about getting g ready to plan our Easter 2020 trip to Malta after getting info from people on here and then IT happened.

Still fancy this for 2022 depend6 on you know what!

27 minutes ago, Raj said:

We were just about getting g ready to plan our Easter 2020 trip to Malta after getting info from people on here and then IT happened.

Still fancy this for 2022 depend6 on you know what!

Just been looking at some pics of a couple we know who have just got back from Malta.

Never really considered it before but looked absolutely stunning, was surprised to see how packed it was in all the restaurants and bars they were in but absolutely been added to the list of places to see

12 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Just been looking at some pics of a couple we know who have just got back from Malta.

Never really considered it before but looked absolutely stunning, was surprised to see how packed it was in all the restaurants and bars they were in but absolutely been added to the list of places to see

I cant remedy who, but think we do have a resident "expert" on Malta here somewhere who gave lots of good advice.

Looks and sounds a little gem of a place.