Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 21/07/2021 at 08:34, grobyfox1990 said:

Been to hand & flowers, butchers tap & grill and the coach in Marlow. All superb, as you would expect from Tom Kerridge. I am normally not interested in 'quaint' and 'nice' English sleepy towns for more than a few hours, but Marlow and Henley are both really nice places.

Went to the latter two - particularly enjoyed the Butchers Tap, mid pub crawl. 

Alas at a great pub end of the night - Marlow Rocket, looked a run of the mill Greene King but lovely staff and great back garden. Then we bumped into the local village idiot. Mid 50s, from Epping Forest originally and a window cleaner. 

Asked us where we were from, told him Leicester. He then proceeded tell us he kills muslims in spare time and ran off with all sorts of racist language over the next five minutes. We moved table. Staff noticed and asked us what's up. Told them, he got ejected.

Then he came back....'what did I say what was racist?' Told him if he couldn't remember he ought to go home and sleep his beer off.

He ordered a taxi, waiting outside, waited for it to turn up. It arrived, he runs back in the pub and screams 'F off you northern monkeys' to run back. 

They live amongst us - they really do. 

Marlow's nice though - great walk up the Thames Path. 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

With regards to COVID regs, they're basically at where the UK was at the beginning of the year. Some venues checked vax passports, some didn't, but essentially you just hand over and they scan it. There's a strict 11pm curfew, rule of six when sitting at tables, and masks must be worn indoors except when not eating / drinking but all of this was absolutely fine because I'm not a twat.

We did a lot of Cork / West Cork. I've been to Kinsale and Rosscarbery before, but we flew into Cork, then started in Cobh and visited many of the southern coastal towns, Clonakilty (great for black pudding / sausage fans) to Schull and Mizen Head (true crime tourist hotspot)

Spent a night in Killarney which is highly recommended, it's stunning with a great nightlife. We then travelled up and flew back from Shannon (not so great).

They did check passports as we're now obvs. considered non-EU, but the process was fairly rapid. 

Oh Killarney sounds good. Is it possible to travel about a bit and stay in different hotels then? As I read through the passage location form and it asked you where you were going to stay. I guess that doesn't make it easy to do a bit of a road trip and book hotels on the fly?

Sure but Ireland and UK are still in the CTA together and Ireland still isn't in Schengen. It used to be that you'd do border checks when travelling between the CTA and Schengen but not within them. My interpretation was that the CTA was still fully in place even though non-Irish EU citizens had different rights within Ireland compared to to the UK, but I'm not sure whether it is actually able to be done without bringing back border checks in practice.

20 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Oh Killarney sounds good. Is it possible to travel about a bit and stay in different hotels then? As I read through the passage location form and it asked you where you were going to stay. I guess that doesn't make it easy to do a bit of a road trip and book hotels on the fly?

We pre-booked all of our accommodation and listed what we could on the locator form. Whether you're supposed to be staying in multiple locations, I'm not sure. It doesn't make a lot of sense assuming travellers will stick to one location IMO. I'm double vaxxed, regularly lateral-flow tested, and conscientious and there was no problem.

• Like 1

We are booked to go All Inclusive to Rhodes on the 5th October for 1 week.  Staying in a room with it's own swim up pool.

Helps us to minimise contact with others if we don't want to (outside of meal times obviously) 

With being Double Vaccinated, we don't have to do a Covid test before flying which is a bonus! just one in resort before we fly home and then another two days after landing back home. 

Fingers crossed nothing changes between now and then!!

Celebrating my Grandaughters 5th Birthday, Celebrating at  my older (8) granddaughters  home...oh Thursday,

Then on Friday off to my other Daughter in Switzerland for da 10-12 days..

Sorted out some high Alps trails for wheelchairs..Matterhorn, Zermatt /Jungfrau..Maybe have A dash to Part of the Sustenpass...

I had hopes to use it, as a Springboard to get to & from Bourmes in S.France,to where my Son  left yesterday to do his holidays ( 3weeks )

taking his caravan...but Now with my illness, doing a 1100-1500km ( which Really isnt far ) with a Swiss Stop over, is Now Too heavy for me...

Had it All Set up & prepared ,though in all Honestly wasnt much to prepare or break any Bones about..

Made crazy expeditions worldwide, But Now Too Fked to do a Trip around the corner...I just want to get near/on the sea.

Though Switzerland has some Great Lakes,in spectacular Mountain Scenery,  ( also for swimming, Water activities ) It just isnt the sea, though is it..!!

Though both have some Great Sunrises & sunsets & a whiff of adventure...

Just a gentle suggestion to you all, so long as you can walk, Dont make going on the razz as your Holiday highlight,put the Pint down,

Whether hot or pssing it down, get on that Trail und Share your life with the nature...

either with hipflask, or a Pint & ploughmans,or Sherpas feast at the EOT if needs be...

.10000s can go for a nightclub Dance & a session everyweek,

But Theres nothing like Sharing the open skys,or a Rain wind-rattled-tent, with a love- crazed  partner, or Sharing moments with friends, known or anew....Even alone.!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Manini said:

Booked to go to Berlin for a few nights in February. Recommendations on places to go, eat, see etc are welcome. 

Stay in Kreusberg- the hippy area…

Have a meal at the Long March Canteen…. Mooch around the bars and also try and find a good Turkish restaurant 

Theres an amazing history museum near the Berliner Dom….  And then and then all the other bits you’d expect really…. Brandenburg gate, Berliner Dom, Jewish memorial (very evocative)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Any recommendations for Bath, Ilfracombe and Bristol in terms of decent places for a beer/cider/food? Off down that way for a week soon.

I lived in Bath for a while 30 years ago (:blink:) and used to frequent The Salamander......and lo and behold, it's still there: https://www.salamanderbath.co.uk/

.....recommendation only slightly out of date!

Sadly, the Bog Island Club (late night venue of choice in 1991) is long gone: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/671247519432755277/

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jonthefox said:

Going to Saarbrucken/Homburg area next year ( family wedding). Any tips?.

#  Voelkhinger hutte... ..Old iron & Metal Works turned into a Museum Expo center,besides the obvious,other Themes of Region interest

# Schlossberghohlen.  Tunnel works caves....entrance-tour every hour..

#Trier or to France Metz decent  day out from this corner of Germany..

# Saarlouis over the Border & bridge...IMO nothing to wrote home about...

# Drinkies..!!  Some Good Local Saar biergardens...But you will have to ask around, just in case Ambiente or Service as suffered...

Another tip...Saarlander,Pfalzer, Rheinlander are NOT the same &  have their own character & humour...

( oh & their Dialekt is hochdeutsche, to each One of them....**joke** )

• Like 1

@Raj I went to Malta at the end of July. It was too hot, but there was a lovely sea always available. Otherwise it's just fabulous, we stayed in Mellieha, which has the best beach on the island in Ghadira Bay.

If you're cooking for yourself or driving about, there's a fish market in Marsaxlokk on Sunday morning, and there are some glorious quayside eating options there. Valetta is best approached by boat from Sliema, if you're not staying there. Gozo and Mdina are must - sees. 

Amusing aside - I went to the wrong car deck when leaving the Gozo ferry - now THAT was embarrassing 😉

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

@Raj I went to Malta at the end of July. It was too hot, but there was a lovely sea always available. Otherwise it's just fabulous, we stayed in Mellieha, which has the best beach on the island in Ghadira Bay.

If you're cooking for yourself or driving about, there's a fish market in Marsaxlokk on Sunday morning, and there are some glorious quayside eating options there. Valetta is best approached by boat from Sliema, if you're not staying there. Gozo and Mdina are must - sees. 

Amusing aside - I went to the wrong car deck when leaving the Gozo ferry - now THAT was embarrassing 😉

The more I hear of Malta the more it seems spot on.

I posted on here before that we were planned to visit in Eaater prior to that covid thing hitting the World.

Will look to book next Easter if that thing doesnt mess up the World again!

Your aside is funny, BUT imagine if youd walked off WITHOUT  the car...now that would have been...erm...oh....er....embarrassing!!! 😁😁😁

22 hours ago, Manini said:

Booked to go to Berlin for a few nights in February. Recommendations on places to go, eat, see etc are welcome. 

Berlin is awesome place and full of the history.

We went years ago before our kids so cant recommend  anything, but it's awesome city, you'll love it

3 minutes ago, Raj said:

Berlin is awesome place and full of the history.

We went years ago before our kids so cant recommend  anything, but it's awesome city, you'll love it

Nice one Raj 👍🏻 I’ve wanted to go for ages, looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Raj said:

The more I hear of Malta the more it seems spot on.

I posted on here before that we were planned to visit in Eaater prior to that covid thing hitting the World.

Will look to book next Easter if that thing doesnt mess up the World again!

Your aside is funny, BUT imagine if youd walked off WITHOUT  the car...now that would have been...erm...oh....er....embarrassing!!! 😁😁😁

It is. It's awful that someone had their phone stolen, but we felt very safe there. It's generally a large crime kind of place, very little petty stuff. Sadly there are wrong uns everywhere. I'll return one October half term, when the heat isn't so intense but the sea is still mild. 

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

It is. It's awful that someone had their phone stolen, but we felt very safe there. It's generally a large crime kind of place, very little petty stuff. Sadly there are wrong uns everywhere. I'll return one October half term, when the heat isn't so intense but the sea is still mild. 

Yeah, tw@ts everywhere so it's a worldwide issue!

Did you bother driving or public transport?

16 minutes ago, Manini said:

Nice one Raj 👍🏻 I’ve wanted to go for ages, looking forward to it. 

You'll love it.

Standard stuff like Brandenburg gate(You'll see the hotel where Michael jacko held his baby out the window!!!), the history of the wall, The Norman Foster built museum(think its a museum, might be a govern building!) but do that, the markets, the  tubes are great so use them, there are some famous plazas too..enjoy