Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 27/08/2021 at 23:00, fuchsntf said:

Where ever you go or live, get into the culture,

Mix & Interface with the Spanish they are so open,laugh with you & Not against, ,when picking up the language.

Local flamenco Tapas-bars, will help you understand a lot about the Spanish ,kids are Welcome even at the later shows

One can Interface with the folk & participants, the Dance is Dynamic & something suprisingly even young kids often Fall for.

unfortunately Covid, aus had a massive Effect on the business...

Even if your against "Bull-fighting" introduce the kids & yourself to "the Story & history"

of This life,they will make up their Minds in the issues & Morals themselves.

Not all Spanish Love Flamenco & Bullfighting, but part of the Spanish-life & phsyc, is Open &  on show around these two past-times..

Estilo da vida will often be involved also  in some sport or other...

If you have decided to live in Spain ( also relevant to other countries) ,go where the locals go not where the Tourists go,

Dont get to know Spain as a tourist/traveller, But as a local....The classic important tourist destinations, you will get to automatically see anyway...

Local small & Major festivals,are better seen from the locals Insight & eye..sometimes travelling with little gathered information & dropping in a

Local- Cafe or tavern,  and interfacing with the guys/gals on the Next table of all ages,opens up the Country for you...

Like Italy , These People can go to any fete/Festival ( even in wine-regions) & they dont need alcohol, to make a day or night of it..

Thats Another thing, you are in Spain,   so talking ( or any bartering), exchanging info or just plain niceties, is not a rushed sort of  e

I loved Spain, in my time, but the World has turned a few more times since then, the chasm between City folk, provincial,  & Village life can be sometimes

massive, But Now with  foreigners & the Spanish themselves Investing in 2nd or Holiday homes, in more Quiet surrounds, will have changed it somewhat..

What ever your reasons, I wish you & your Family all the best in Building a new life & path...

This is the loveliest post ever. I love you @fuchsntf:kissing:

• Like 1

On 29/08/2021 at 15:10, Górnik Leicester said:

Turkey, for October half-term, cancelled t'other day. Third time, now, having been originally booked pre-pandemic. Took advantage of Tui's 20% incentive to book for Cyprus, for roughly the same time, so have been able to upgrade to a swim-up room. Covid testing packages are also decently priced at 20 quid a pop for antigen tests to return and Day 2 tests to drop in the post.

Also booked Warsaw for the Europa League game, but having to source my own Covid tests for this one. Wednesday night out, Friday morning back, so just trying to navigate the minefield of ridiculous testing charges. Anyone have any experience of cheap, government-approved companies? Seen c19testing.co.uk for the antigen, but can't really figure out if they're government approved for return to the UK, or even how the whoke thing works. There's also a company in the Highcross which does Day 2 relatively cheap if you pop in to do it. They seem to be approved.

From what I understand (and if anyone could correct me if i'm wrong, it'd be appreciated), antigen test for return needs to be done 72 hours before departure. This surely means I can do it any time after Tuesday morning - effectively before I've even left the UK in the first place?

Yes, correct on the 72 hour timeline so you can test before you leave the UK.

Re testing providers, I found one in Lutterworth where you can pick up/drop off although they also include Royal Mail FIrst Class as part of the price. It was £40 for a Day 2 test. Not sure on the antigen ones, not looked that up in any detail. The only way to get Day 2 cheaper is if you find a walk-in. All the ones I saw were booked up and usually Birmingham being closest.

Link to place in Lutterworth: https://nationwidepathology.co.uk/covid-19-test-to-release/

38 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Yes, correct on the 72 hour timeline so you can test before you leave the UK.

Re testing providers, I found one in Lutterworth where you can pick up/drop off although they also include Royal Mail FIrst Class as part of the price. It was £40 for a Day 2 test. Not sure on the antigen ones, not looked that up in any detail. The only way to get Day 2 cheaper is if you find a walk-in. All the ones I saw were booked up and usually Birmingham being closest.

Link to place in Lutterworth: https://nationwidepathology.co.uk/covid-19-test-to-release/

Actually found a place on the Government-approved list in the Highcross. My dad is off to Malta soon, so is dropping in to see them today. They seem to have plenty of appointments to book, too.

• Like 1

Just spent a few days in Porto so my wife could see family (first time since Oct 2019 when we got married there).

Driven down to the Algarve now, still much quieter than it normally would be this time of year and it's bliss (for me, not the local businesses). Feels surreal to be abroad.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

Just spent a few days in Porto so my wife could see family (first time since Oct 2019 when we got married there).

Driven down to the Algarve now, still much quieter than it normally would be this time of year and it's bliss (for me, not the local businesses). Feels surreal to be abroad.

Love Porto.

Might head to Portugal for a few days at the end of the month if we aren’t allowed into the ground in Poland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

Good to hear she's finally got to spend time with her family, I know you've said before how long you've both been waiting. 

We're going to the Algarve next week for the first time, we're house sitting for 2 weeks in Tavira. Everything seems pretty close together, so I feel like we can see a lot in the fortnight, but if you have any recommendations for places to go and see, eat or drink I'd be really grateful. 

Or anyone else, obviously! 

21 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We're going to the Algarve next week for the first time, we're house sitting for 2 weeks in Tavira. Everything seems pretty close together, so I feel like we can see a lot in the fortnight, but if you have any recommendations for places to go and see, eat or drink I'd be really grateful. 

Or anyone else, obviously! 

On your way over/ back I would recommend going to the Rio Tinto village quite near to Huelva, Minas de Riotinto.  It’s pretty fascinating to see the way the village was developed solely for the housing of those working/ managing the mines.  You can take the mining train down along the river path and see the changing landscape that provided so many minerals in its heyday.

• Thanks 1

On 30/08/2021 at 12:09, Raj said:

Will you give us your feedback pls when u get back.

Have a good un

So here's my feedback: Beautiful Island but the trip was spoiled slightly by having my phone stolen the day before I came home. Fortunately I am insured and was able to print all of my documents at the hotel. I'll start from the beginning, It was about a 3 hour flight to the airport and then a half hour transfer by taxi. I stayed in St Paul's Bay which is a popular area, the hotel was 3* but felt like it should of been higher. It was newly built, modern, spacious rooms and service was as good as anywhere i've been. The boat trip was probably the highlight. We visited Gozo, the Comino islands, caves and the Blue and Crystal Lagoons. The water is crystal clear and lovely to swim in. The day after I booked a scuba dive (never done this before so it was a supervised one) but the instructor was great. I was supposed to go to Valetta too (the capital) but didn't bother because frankly I just wanted a lazy day by the pool. Hired a bike from Bugibba on Friday and took a ride to Ghajn Tuffieha Bay (10 mile round trip). This is where i got my phone stolen but it was an absolutely beautiful ride and the beach/coastline was stunning. At this time of year the weather is 28-32 degrees everyday, which in my opinion is the perfect heat. I've got a nice deep tan now too. I may be phoneless for a few more days until I get myself sorted but the trip was still well worth it. Would recommend Malta to anyone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Haywood_6 said:

So here's my feedback: Beautiful Island but the trip was spoiled slightly by having my phone stolen the day before I came home. Fortunately I am insured and was able to print all of my documents at the hotel. I'll start from the beginning, It was about a 3 hour flight to the airport and then a half hour transfer by taxi. I stayed in St Paul's Bay which is a popular area, the hotel was 3* but felt like it should of been higher. It was newly built, modern, spacious rooms and service was as good as anywhere i've been. The boat trip was probably the highlight. We visited Gozo, the Comino islands, caves and the Blue and Crystal Lagoons. The water is crystal clear and lovely to swim in. The day after I booked a scuba dive (never done this before so it was a supervised one) but the instructor was great. I was supposed to go to Valetta too (the capital) but didn't bother because frankly I just wanted a lazy day by the pool. Hired a bike from Bugibba on Friday and took a ride to Ghajn Tuffieha Bay (10 mile round trip). This is where i got my phone stolen but it was an absolutely beautiful ride and the beach/coastline was stunning. At this time of year the weather is 28-32 degrees everyday, which in my opinion is the perfect heat. I've got a nice deep tan now too. I may be phoneless for a few more days until I get myself sorted but the trip was still well worth it. Would recommend Malta to anyone.

Sorry a bit your phone buddy.

This just confirms  all the good stuff I've heard about Malta.

Pity covid hit us when it did as we were w months away from.going!

Which hotel was it you stayed may I ask.

• Like 1

Just got back from a week-long trip to southern Ireland. 

We were there for a wedding, but decided to stick around and road trip a bit. I've been before, but didn't get to see that much of it since it was a fleeting visit. It's a stunning part of the world and i'd encourage anyone to do the Wild Atlantic Way if you like scenery, history, culture, great food, and lots of booze. It often gets overlooked as a fantastic holiday destination IMO.

Flights were painless and getting into the country with the vaccine passport / passenger locator forms was easy. The guy on immigration was so nonchalant about it I probably could've shown a picture of my tallywhacker and he'd probably have nodded me through. 

Edited by RoboFox

17 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Just got back from a week-long trip to southern Ireland. 

We were there for a wedding, but decided to stick around and road trip a bit. I've been before, but didn't get to see that much of it since it was a fleeting visit. It's a stunning part of the world and i'd encourage anyone to do the Wild Atlantic Way if you like scenery, history, culture, great food, and lots of booze. It often gets overlooked as a fantastic holiday destination IMO.

Flights were painless and getting into the country with the vaccine passport / passenger locator forms was easy. The guy on immigration was so nonchalant about it I probably could've shown a picture of my tallywhacker and he'd probably have nodded me through. 

Ireland is a beautiful country for sure. I've actually been looking into going there myself because it seems like the CTA is like to remain open now while I don't trust any other country not to have a last minute change in the traffic light system.

How open were things like pubs and restaurants? I looked online a couple of weeks ago and they said you needed covid passports to go to restaurants. Is it just a case of showing them the NHS app?

And it's been about 15 years since I've been there so I'd love to go back. The South coast especially around western Cork is a beautiful part of the world.

I think travelling between Ireland and Great Britain is technically considered domestic travel and not international travel so it doesn't surprise me they don't really scrutinise covid passports. It might have changed since Brexit but you never even had to show your passport to go to Ireland in the past.

45 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Ireland is a beautiful country for sure. I've actually been looking into going there myself because it seems like the CTA is like to remain open now while I don't trust any other country not to have a last minute change in the traffic light system.

How open were things like pubs and restaurants? I looked online a couple of weeks ago and they said you needed covid passports to go to restaurants. Is it just a case of showing them the NHS app?

And it's been about 15 years since I've been there so I'd love to go back. The South coast especially around western Cork is a beautiful part of the world.

I think travelling between Ireland and Great Britain is technically considered domestic travel and not international travel so it doesn't surprise me they don't really scrutinise covid passports. It might have changed since Brexit but you never even had to show your passport to go to Ireland in the past.

With regards to COVID regs, they're basically at where the UK was at the beginning of the year. Some venues checked vax passports, some didn't, but essentially you just hand over and they scan it. There's a strict 11pm curfew, rule of six when sitting at tables, and masks must be worn indoors except when not eating / drinking but all of this was absolutely fine because I'm not a twat.

We did a lot of Cork / West Cork. I've been to Kinsale and Rosscarbery before, but we flew into Cork, then started in Cobh and visited many of the southern coastal towns, Clonakilty (great for black pudding / sausage fans) to Schull and Mizen Head (true crime tourist hotspot)

Spent a night in Killarney which is highly recommended, it's stunning with a great nightlife. We then travelled up and flew back from Shannon (not so great).

They did check passports as we're now obvs. considered non-EU, but the process was fairly rapid. 

Edited by RoboFox