Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

12 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Timely, just deciding what to do on our trip there. If you were only there for the day, would you choose Capri or Sorrento?

I'd choose sorrento.  Capri is hugely overpriced and over hyped!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

We did exactly this and opted for a tour of the Amalfi Coast over a day out in Capri.

edit to add - our Italian friends were distraught when we met them on our trip and told them we didn’t go to Capri. It’s probably worth ticking off to say you’ve been there.

Edited by Trumpet

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Back from two days in Malta. Valletta is incredible for a place with a population of ~ 7k. The war museum, gardens and fortifications are ace, Nice pubs, bars and restaurants and the weather was in the mid-high teens. Remarkably I’ve picked up a bit of colour so I look a touch less pallid.

Malta is great, did you go to Mdina?

22 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Little nudge…. Any tips?

There is a famous house/ palace type thing that I would recommend.

The Plaza (think it’s called de espanol) is great.

I did the bull fighting arena which I instantly regretted when I had handed over the cash, great arena but didn’t really want to be giving my money to that.

I can’t remember the name of the tapas bars I went to but one was famous for cod croquettes with the locals loving it and another tiny one near the cathedral. If you google the best tapas in Sevilla I’m sure that’s where I found them.

There also a roof top bar next to the cathedral which was pretty cool, expensive as you can imagine. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

There is a famous house/ palace type thing that I would recommend.

The Plaza (think it’s called de espanol) is great.

I did the bull fighting arena which I instantly regretted when I had handed over the cash, great arena but didn’t really want to be giving my money to that.

I can’t remember the name of the tapas bars I went to but one was famous for cod croquettes with the locals loving it and another tiny one near the cathedral. If you google the best tapas in Sevilla I’m sure that’s where I found them.

There also a roof top bar next to the cathedral which was pretty cool, expensive as you can imagine. 

Thanks 🙏 

I have been before, didn’t explore too much beyond bars and a cathedral trip

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Malta is great, did you go to Mdina?

No, some ladies on the plane there mentioned it but with just the two days we stayed in Valletta and quickly visited the 3 cities

34 minutes ago, Stadt said:

No, some ladies on the plane there mentioned it but with just the two days we stayed in Valletta and quickly visited the 3 cities

Ah that’s a shame. Only a tiny place but worth a visit.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2024 at 12:08, Greg2607 said:

13 hours ago, Trumpet said:

We did exactly this and opted for a tour of the Amalfi Coast over a day out in Capri.

edit to add - our Italian friends were distraught when we met them on our trip and told them we didn’t go to Capri. It’s probably worth ticking off to say you’ve been there.

We've gone for Sorrento. And that tour allows us 2 or 3 hours in Naples, too. 

7 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

We've gone for Sorrento. And that tour allows us 2 or 3 hours in Naples, too. 

Avoid jumping in a taxi that isn’t pre booked. We were ripped off a few times. Maybe look to see if they have Uber.

Aside from the taxi ripping us off, we jumped on the ferry from Naples to Sorrento which was inexpensive and gave some great views of the bay.

Edited by Trumpet

18 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Avoid jumping in a taxi that isn’t pre booked. We were ripped off a few times. Maybe look to see if they have Uber.

Aside from the taxi ripping us off, we jumped on the ferry from Naples to Sorrento which was inexpensive and gave some great views of the bay.

Thanks. We're there on a cruise so have a ship excursion for Sorrento and we'll just walk Naples on our return. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Thanks. We're there on a cruise so have a ship excursion for Sorrento and we'll just walk Naples on our return. 

Uber available in Naples as well, metro is a good way of getting around. Single ticket is €1.50 on the metro 👍

Can I get any tips for Naples (actual city) please? Going to Sorrento and Pompeii etc already.

Going with my girlfriend as part of a 10 day trip round Italy and have a day or two in Naples.

2 hours ago, bmt said:

Can I get any tips for Naples (actual city) please? Going to Sorrento and Pompeii etc already.

Going with my girlfriend as part of a 10 day trip round Italy and have a day or two in Naples.

Archeological museum is worth a visit. A lot of the original artefacts from pompeii in there, we didn’t get chance to go. Maradona mural in the Spanish quarter is a big attraction nowadays, like a pilgrimage for a lot of people going to Naples. Funiculars for viewpoints. Via Toledo is the Main Street with lots of shops and access to the Spanish quarter. The Santa Chiara monastery is something we missed but looks beautiful as well. Just mingling in the small streets is an experience. There is one street where they make nativity scenes (can’t remember the name) but people from all over Italy go there as well. We booked a private tour with a local who can show you main sights or things you want to see. And of course get a pizza!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bmt said:

There's an excavated Roman market and streets underneath the San Lorenzo Maggiore church - went a few years ago and it was really impressive.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bmt said:

Echo San Lorenzo church. 

I’ve been to Naples a few times and prefer Herculaneum to Pompeii - less crowded and (for me) more interesting. Easy to get to on the train as well. 

Enjoy - mad place! 

• Thanks 1

Anyone have any experience with Romania?

I'm looking at doing a couple weeks, with ten or so days to play with for hiking. The first section of the Via Transilvanica which runs through Bucovina looks nice, but I don't know too much about the country and it seems there is plenty to see.

Would be nice to run through some an area with some more remote villages and some guesthouses possibly.

Would be happy to hear recommendations, for more general tourism too.

13 minutes ago, samlcfc said:

I'm looking at doing a couple weeks, with ten or so days to play with for hiking. The first section of the Via Transilvanica which runs through Bucovina looks nice, but I don't know too much about the country and it seems there is plenty to see.

Would be nice to run through some an area with some more remote villages and some guesthouses possibly.

Yeh, done a lads weekend in Bucharest which is self explanatory. Cheap booze, strip club, shooting, go karts. Did 3 days with my wife where we did a hike across the mountains, pretty good.

10 days is a huge amount, you could do a solid hike and Bucharest easily 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, samlcfc said:

Nigel Pearson is your man for there 😂 🐺

• Haha 2

Was initially looking at doing a family summer holiday to Dubai, then Canada, but we've ended up booking 11 days in a Villa in Sicily instead at the beginning of August. Staying at a place called Fontane Bianche which is south east near Syracuse (Dubai and Canada can wait until retirement when the kids have fvcked off I think)

We went to Sorrento/Naples/Pompei years ago before kids but never to Sicily. Taking two teenagers so no idea if there will be stuff for them to do, but the Villa has it's own pool etc. and next to the beach so looks nice.

Any Sicily experts on here? I seem to recall @bovril is a fan?

23 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Was initially looking at doing a family summer holiday to Dubai, then Canada, but we've ended up booking 11 days in a Villa in Sicily instead at the beginning of August. Staying at a place called Fontane Bianche which is south east near Syracuse (Dubai and Canada can wait until retirement when the kids have fvcked off I think)

We went to Sorrento/Naples/Pompei years ago before kids but never to Sicily. Taking two teenagers so no idea if there will be stuff for them to do, but the Villa has it's own pool etc. and next to the beach so looks nice.

Any Sicily experts on here? I seem to recall @bovril is a fan?

Yes big fan. Usually go to Palermo, West Coast and Egadi islands. Favignana might be a good bet with a family. South East is also nice, especially Siracusa.

• Thanks 1

Going to become a dad for the 1st time in July.

How soon after have people taken a holiday? We have travelled extensively over the years just the two of us and I'm trying to get my head around how we continue that with a small human being 

14 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Going to become a dad for the 1st time in July.

How soon after have people taken a holiday? We have travelled extensively over the years just the two of us and I'm trying to get my head around how we continue that with a small human being 

Butlins for the forseeable