Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

23 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Just watched Rick Stein in Leicester and he went to what looked like a shack serving various street foods but we couldn't work out where it is. Did anyone else see it that knows it's location?

He also went to Bobby's. It looked excellent and we're thinking of going. Any opinions, folks? Maybe @Raj, you have been?

Saw that, weird that he went to all these veggie places and then decided to do a chicken curry. Think Bobbys is very overrated, Sayonara was the best before it closed.

4 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Saw that, weird that he went to all these veggie places and then decided to do a chicken curry. Think Bobbys is very overrated, Sayonara was the best before it closed.

Yeah, I didn't understand that either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Bit of blast from the past. My Dad used to take me there a lot growing up.

17 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Bit of blast from the past. My Dad used to take me there a lot growing up.

Glad to hear someone else remembers, my Dad had his stag do there apparently, don’t think they cleaned the high chair that I was put in the mid 90s to when it closed a few years back!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Just watched Rick Stein in Leicester and he went to what looked like a shack serving various street foods but we couldn't work out where it is. Did anyone else see it that knows it's location?

He also went to Bobby's. It looked excellent and we're thinking of going. Any opinions, folks? Maybe @Raj, you have been?

Off Catherine st and Cobden st

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Bobbys is well over rated.

It's only famous for being one of the early restaurants.

I missed the Rick Stein edition about the street hut. I've been and its decent and well worth a visit just for the experience.

It's at the back of Cobden Street/ Catherine street.

Worth a visit definitely.

Bhel Puri – Pani Puri
07815 859486

https://g.co/kgs/Dr41CB4

Here the link...Expect a wait though at the weekends, but give it a punt👍🏾

Edited by Raj
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Anyone been to restaurant two six three behind high cross? Looks high end

Thanks for bringing to my attention. 

I thought Leicester was devoid of higher end eateries since white peacock, north's and the case closed. 

Places like this struggle in Leicester so I'll Check it out 

Seems well priced if the foods good 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I’ve been three times. It’s a 5 course taster menu, which changes weekly. All food purchased locally start of the week and the chef knocks something up using it. I’ve never been disappointed and the portions are a good size. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I thought Leicester was devoid of higher end eateries since white peacock, north's and the case closed. 

Was thinking the same that I should support an ambitious chef..good to see others have enjoyed it there

On 23/02/2024 at 06:21, Raj said:

Broadway was excellent  last night.

Best one we have been to so far including Paddys I would say imho

I went last night, it was very busy and decent food. Would also agree, better than Paddy’s.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

I went last night, it was very busy and decent food. Would also agree, better than Paddy’s.

I was in there last night. As you say it was very busy for a Thursday night but the food and service was very good.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

1 hour ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I was in there last night. As you say it was very busy for a Thursday night but the food and service was very good.  

Didn't you talk to each other???!

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

23 hours ago, westernpark said:

Taster menu is good, six courses if I remember correctly.

21 hours ago, Lako42 said:

I think I may have posted about my experience in here somewhere…?

Talented chefs and very good food

Service was a total disaster and took us the best part of 3 and half hours to get through our taster menu

low end over varnished slightly sticky tables too!

I would go back, but my wife wouldn’t !

5 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Mad to think Broadway has become this hive of activity - it was the pub which was getting run down where I watched England beat Germany 5-1 and City lose to Spurs in the League Cup final 

Just goes to show what a good kitchen/chef can do. The owners of the Broadway also own the sports lounge in Oadby & had swan & rushes and they aren’t even half as popular. 

2 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Just goes to show what a good kitchen/chef can do. The owners of the Broadway also own the sports lounge in Oadby & had swan & rushes and they aren’t even half as popular. 

If they own the swan and rushes, the Broadway should be instantly boycotted. 

24 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I went there about 1 months ago, it was ok and the chef was talking to us  Food in Leicester has really gone down hill im afraid.

12 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

I went there about 1 months ago, it was ok and the chef was talking to us  Food in Leicester has really gone down hill im afraid.

People don't back good places in Leicester so that's what you get 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

People don't back good places in Leicester so that's what you get 

All sorts of things interweave to create a very poorly  supported food scene in Leicester. 

The city's brand image and self confidence is woeful. The amount of very poor immigration who'd never step foot in a smart restaurant. The appalling (compared with other big cities) transport infrastructure. Add to that a general snobbery of our wealthy areas....punters in the county prefer to eat in nice gaffs in mountsorrel, Woodhouse, kibworth etc  

On 02/03/2024 at 11:40, Paninistickers said:

All sorts of things interweave to create a very poorly  supported food scene in Leicester. 

The city's brand image and self confidence is woeful. The amount of very poor immigration who'd never step foot in a smart restaurant. The appalling (compared with other big cities) transport infrastructure. Add to that a general snobbery of our wealthy areas....punters in the county prefer to eat in nice gaffs in mountsorrel, Woodhouse, kibworth etc  

I get the points that people are making, but I think the food in Leicester is actually quite good and varied. 

I've not really got much interest in high-end and traditional restaurants. There's a great range of cuisines in Leicester, for example the East African Indian restaurants, south Indian restaurants, lots of Turkish restaurants, good Italians, and lots of other interesting places like Karamay and Mitsuki to name a few. There's also a decent cluster around St Martins. I actively come into Leicester to escape the generic, overpriced, tasteless, pub grub you get in Charnwood. All comes down to personal taste I suppose!