Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Spurs FA Cup 4th Round Post Match Thread 1 - 2

There's two sides to this and it's been mentioned many times. When making an instinctive first-time shot or finish Schlupp is indeed very good at carrying it out. However, when it comes to having time to think about what he's doing, something in his head makes him panic/worry and he isn't nearly as clinical or lethal. The perfect examples come from the Spurs game at the weekend. He does brilliantly to get through 3 or 4 Spurs players to basically end up with just having the 'keeper to beat. Now he has to think of how to beat the keeper and instead of hitting it low and hard into the corner, like most good finishers would do, he just tries to do a Vardy and power it past Vorm who is able to make a good but easily achievable save. For his goal, the cross comes in and he just follows his instinct. There's no doubts it's deliberate but it's out of his instinct rather than a thought out finish, if you get what I mean. If he can transfer some of that instinct into intelligence and execution then he will be one hell of a player.

Spot on...

There's two sides to this and it's been mentioned many times. When making an instinctive first-time shot or finish Schlupp is indeed very good at carrying it out. However, when it comes to having time to think about what he's doing, something in his head makes him panic/worry and he isn't nearly as clinical or lethal. The perfect examples come from the Spurs game at the weekend. He does brilliantly to get through 3 or 4 Spurs players to basically end up with just having the 'keeper to beat. Now he has to think of how to beat the keeper and instead of hitting it low and hard into the corner, like most good finishers would do, he just tries to do a Vardy and power it past Vorm who is able to make a good but easily achievable save. For his goal, the cross comes in and he just follows his instinct. There's no doubts it's deliberate but it's out of his instinct rather than a thought out finish, if you get what I mean. If he can transfer some of that instinct into intelligence and execution then he will be one hell of a player.

Composure is the word. That can come with age and experience though, he might never be a natural finisher but he will improve.

We don't have a lot of possession simply because were not good enough. We tried the attacking approach and failed miserable. We've found a way to play by protecting the back four using the wings and trying to support the forwards when possible. Not ideal but it's working as we're not picking up points and wins which builds confidence.

hopefully we can pick up enough to get safe.

Absolutely stonewall penalty. I was looking at the right leg for the contact at first, and though I think there was contact there too - look at the left leg. Disgrace to be booked for diving for that.

No it wasn't. You can look at the replay as long as you want to, it's not as clear as many are trying to make out.

There may be contact with Vorm's foot at the end of the movement, but Kramaric already starts falling over, letting his leg "fly" over Vorm's.

From my perspective, that qualifies as a dive.

No it wasn't. You can look at the replay as long as you want to, it's not as clear as many are trying to make out.

There may be contact with Vorm's foot at the end of the movement, but Kramaric already starts falling over, letting his leg "fly" over Vorm's.

Just look at Vorm's reaction. He knew he'd fouled him.

If you're not giving penalties for that we may as well all go home. It's not like he hoofed it past Vorm and went to ground either. He touched it round him and had he stayed on his feet would have had a tap in.

It's not just Leicester fans that think it was a clear penalty - the write-ups in the times and telegraph were dominated by it because it was a massive cock up.

Having been at the game it was another glowing example of how weak we compare in the centre of midfield.  Both Drinky & King were labouring against the likes of Paulinho and Dembele, it was frightening at times how easily we were overran.  Although left back and creativity is key i cant help but feel someoen like an "N'Zonzi" type player would benefit us greatly.  He was great for Stoke, a real prescence in the middle of the park.  Hammond has done pretty well but again not a prescence. Schlupp getting more effective as teh season grows and was nice to see Ulloa a threat and linking up again.  I firmly believe that Nugent and Albrighton were instrumental in those last 20 minutes and should be noted along with Pearson's decision.  Maybe albrighton instead of Lawrence last week may have proved a better option?

If you mean his right leg, amazingly when people walk forward, they lift one leg while standing with the other - he's going round vorm, lifts his right leg to go forward over Vorm and gets his standing foot taken. It's an obvious penalty - Vorm comes out and takes his standing leg, getting nowhere near the ball.

Couldn't see it at the time - my reaction was, the ref has got to be pretty sure to make a brave decision. On reflection, I think he has got it completely wrong. Vorm's outstretched leg does touch Kramaric, he has every right to go down. If it wasn't a foul, why would he have gone down? He was through on goal! 

If that had been Soldado, he'd have given it, no questions.

Having been at the game it was another glowing example of how weak we compare in the centre of midfield.  Both Drinky & King were labouring against the likes of Paulinho and Dembele, it was frightening at times how easily we were overran.  Although left back and creativity is key i cant help but feel someoen like an "N'Zonzi" type player would benefit us greatly.  He was great for Stoke, a real prescence in the middle of the park.  Hammond has done pretty well but again not a prescence. Schlupp getting more effective as teh season grows and was nice to see Ulloa a threat and linking up again.  I firmly believe that Nugent and Albrighton were instrumental in those last 20 minutes and should be noted along with Pearson's decision.  Maybe albrighton instead of Lawrence last week may have proved a better option?

I thought this too. Anybody who thinks we're better without Nugent in the team needs to look at those last 20 minutes for reference. Him and Albrighton definitely made an impact.

What did everyone make of the central midfield pair on saturday? I thought for the 1st 60 mins of the game king and drinky were weak and didn't win many 50/50's or 2nd balls which allowed them to control the game.

But then in the last 30 mins admittedly I thought spurs started to tire a bit it was completely opposite and that is when we took control of the game and they played well.

but my feelings were that they were a bit too weak again like against stoke the previous week. James will be back in action soon though.

I trust you are joking,I was over 100 yards away and it looked a nailed on penalty,the first thing I said was the keepers going off. Saw the refs decision and was baffled but accepted that maybe I did not get the best view.Then chap behind says at half time Sky Sports saying nailed on,BBC then say nailed on, MOTD say ref got it wrong so nailed on,National Press saying it was nailed on, and having watched it numerous times now,my first instinct was right,nailed on. So I think it was probably NAILED ON. Dive !!

You should have gone to Specsavers.

Look at the left foot, he doesn't go down until Vorm takes out his left foot.

Also, absolutely class ball by Drinks to put him through.

Had an absolutely great time on Saturday. Easy enough to get to the ground, no queues going in or in the concourse for a beer. The view was amazing and I saw all the big players in the LCFC away scene (Jobber, Bernie, DanLCFC). The atmosphere was great where I was I think, and obviously when the two goals went in it was absolutely frightening. Just in the process of discovering all my new bruises. 

Getting back to Euston post match was a bit of a joke, queue for the train was silly so we headed for the underground which took an age. Got to the Euston tap though had some world class beers, then got pretty ****ed before getting the train back on my own (I remember nothing). Have a bit of a black eye and cut on my face and dunno if I got punched or not. Ah well though was all fun.

Had an absolutely great time on Saturday. Easy enough to get to the ground, no queues going in or in the concourse for a beer. The view was amazing and I saw all the big players in the LCFC away scene (Jobber, Bernie, DanLCFC). The atmosphere was great where I was I think, and obviously when the two goals went in it was absolutely frightening. Just in the process of discovering all my new bruises. 

Getting back to Euston post match was a bit of a joke, queue for the train was silly so we headed for the underground which took an age. Got to the Euston tap though had some world class beers, then got pretty ****ed before getting the train back on my own (I remember nothing). Have a bit of a black eye and cut on my face and dunno if I got punched or not. Ah well though was all fun.

I Saw him aswel walking round stinking of piss absolutely ruined out of his face.

Bernie was sober though

Two key things came out of the game for me.

1) our midfield is too weak to play a 4-4-2. We either need a 3rd person in there or we need to get a big, dominant 'N'Zonzi type' player to play alongside DD/James/EC/AK etc. We were much better in the second half but without ever really dominating possession and this is largely down to the fact that every second ball throughout the match was being picked up by a Spurs player...we won't always have the luxury of a goalkeeping error or a scuffed shot falling to our player and so we need to starting finding a way to dominating possession.

2) Ulloa is not a target man. The number of aerial battles he lost simply by not looking at the ball was embarrassing. All he wanted to do was look for Kaboul who effortlessly out-jumped/muscled him. He's a great finisher but needs balls played in from wide and not straight down the middle. Nugent won more flicks in his 20min cameo than Ulloa did all game simply by being a nuisance!

Good to see the fight is there..that's always the hardest thing to get when in a relegation scrap! A couple of shrewd additions this week and we'll be fine. Need to get them in though!

Archived