Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Spurs FA Cup 4th Round Post Match Thread 1 - 2

If you have possession the opposition cannot score no disputing that but it's what you do with the possession that counts, look at Villa, loads of possession but so few goals.

I do agree yes!!

But we are rock bottom still so we can't even use that as a reason for us having poor possession!

You can actually see in the replay that Vorm makes no contact with Kramaric whatsoever. The latter lets his right leg "jump" over the keeper's.

it does. Then Vorms leg continues to make contact with Kramaric's left ankle- penalty.

Pleased for schlupp but it was a slice and he shouldve buried his effort in the first half

God win!! But still lost 60-40 % of possession!

We will never progress unless we can hold onto more of the ball!!

And if you reply and say 'we are not are possession team' then just look at the stats teams who can hold onto the ball are Right up the league and teams who can't are near the bottom! ..... And rightly so!

I do agree but........we are not a possession team lol

We soak up 'pressure', keep a shape and then when we win the ball we have attack in bursts. It's maybe not the best way to play in the prem but I don't think we have the midfielders to dictate play unfortunately. It is however one of the reasons we do well against the better teams that venture out of their own half

Yet it wasn't even discussed by the pundits on Match of The Day, as I posted somewhere before if that was Soldado through on Schwarzer it would of been a pen.

The report by Brian Glanville in the Sunday Times talks about it a lot. I don't think you can get it online, unfortunately, but this is just part of the comment: "...Andre Kramaric, making his full debut, raced through a confused Tottenham defence on to a through ball from Danny Drinkwater only to be obviously and culpably brought down by the swinging leg of Worm. Quite why [the referee] Madley not only failed to give Leicester the penalty they so obviously deserved, but also added insult to injury by showing a yellow card to Kramaric, passed all understanding." Glanville mentions it twice more in the same report. Obviously a City fan.

And if you reply and say 'we are not are possession team' then just look at the stats teams who can hold onto the ball are Right up the league and teams who can't are near the bottom! ..... And rightly so!

Here we go again.

Better players will control the ball better, you bring them in slowly but surely it doesn't happen over night. Anyone expecting us to be matching top half teams for possession first season back is utterly deluded. Even with several years behind us in this league your possession on average would only creep up a few %.

I've only seen the highlights from the weekend and they obviously don't show much of the defending we do. I was pleased NP started De Laet at LB again as he did well there against Liverpool and the FA Cup game yesterday seemed a good chance to experiment their further. How did he do? Would people keep him in at LB ahead of Konchesky?

I've only seen the highlights from the weekend and they obviously don't show much of the defending we do. I was pleased NP started De Laet at LB again as he did well there against Liverpool and the FA Cup game yesterday seemed a good chance to experiment their further. How did he do? Would people keep him in at LB ahead of Konchesky?

Schlupps two best games have come with De Laet behind him. Could be conincidence obviously.

Schlupps two best games have come with De Laet behind him. Could be conincidence obviously.

Thanks. Yeh he was very impressive at Liverpool with RDL playing behind and sounds like it was more of the same yesterday. Good news and lets hope its not mere coincidence. 

it does. Then Vorms leg continues to make contact with Kramaric's left ankle- penalty.

Pleased for schlupp but it was a slice and he shouldve buried his effort in the first half

It was deliberate. Look at his body shape; if he hadn't cut across the ball like that, it would have flown into the stand above the corner flag

Burnley are bottom of the overall average possession table. We are second bottom.

Southampton are third from bottom.

You're talking out your Harris.

Chelsea won the champions league final with less than 40% possession, it's not how long you have the ball it's where on the pitch you have it and what you do with it that matters.

Burnley are bottom of the overall average possession table. We are second bottom.

Chelsea won the champions league final with less than 40% possession, it's not how long you have the ball it's where on the pitch you have it and what you do with it that matters.

This.  We don't have a lot of possession as the players seem happy to soak up the pressure and then counter or hoof the ball up.  It's when we have low attempts/shots on goal that i'll worry over stats.

Well what a day. Incredible scenes at the end. My take on the game,

1st Half

Ref had an absolute mare. Kramaric looks a real talent with his quick turn on the ball and not afraid to run with the ball. World class save kept him off the score sheet. Was never a dive either.

Liam Moore didnt have a good game. Out of position alot. Him going off was a blessing in disguise. Hope its not serious though. Soldado going up to Wasilewski was quite amusing.

2nd Half

Spurs had quite alot of the ball but lacked in the final 3rd. Ref was better second half. Albrighton was good when he came on.

Ulloa had an average game but a great strike to add another goal to his tally. Schluup had a quiet 15 minutes where he didnt seem to do any running at all. I thought he picked up an injury but then out of knowhere he comes up with the goods. Been very impressive of late. Wouldnt have been too disappointed with a draw.

The away support was brilliant. Home fans piss poor about on par with Newcastle fans in October. The scenes at the end were incredible and then to see what Bradford and Boro had done really makes you wonder if we could make it to wembley.

The queue for the train at the end was ridiculous to the point me and my mate walked to silver street station and got on there. Must have saved a fair bit of time walking there. Only took about 10 mins to walk there.

A special mention on the Balti Pies they sold in the ground. Pissed all over the old balti pies we used to sell. The spurs fans i met on the train back to St Pancras were pissed off they lost but gracious in defeat.

All in all a great day out for the blue army. :scarf:  :pearson:

It was deliberate. Look at his body shape; if he hadn't cut across the ball like that, it would have flown into the stand above the corner flag

This - he knew what he was doing given the pace that the ball came across him at. Schlupp's becoming a better finisher than people give him credit for. The spin on the ball took it under Vorm. It was genius.

This - he knew what he was doing given the pace that the ball came across him at. Schlupp's becoming a better finisher than people give him credit for. The spin on the ball took it under Vorm. It was genius.

Bang on, he was so close to catching it perfectly, cracking technique.

This.  We don't have a lot of possession as the players seem happy to soak up the pressure and then counter or hoof the ball up.  It's when we have low attempts/shots on goal that i'll worry over stats.

the stats are below Southampton are 8th and not 3rd from bottom. so im hardly talking out my arsehole you idiot.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/4311/Stages/9155/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2014-2015

post-21777-0-86437800-1422271098_thumb.p

There's two sides to this and it's been mentioned many times. When making an instinctive first-time shot or finish Schlupp is indeed very good at carrying it out. However, when it comes to having time to think about what he's doing, something in his head makes him panic/worry and he isn't nearly as clinical or lethal. The perfect examples come from the Spurs game at the weekend. He does brilliantly to get through 3 or 4 Spurs players to basically end up with just having the 'keeper to beat. Now he has to think of how to beat the keeper and instead of hitting it low and hard into the corner, like most good finishers would do, he just tries to do a Vardy and power it past Vorm who is able to make a good but easily achievable save. For his goal, the cross comes in and he just follows his instinct. There's no doubts it's deliberate but it's out of his instinct rather than a thought out finish, if you get what I mean. If he can transfer some of that instinct into intelligence and execution then he will be one hell of a player.

Archived