Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Man City 2-Leices 0 Post match thread.

Is the quality in this division actually that good?

I can't remember a single goal scored against us that I'd say was a class effort.

I think the division was much stronger under MON than it is now.  It nearly always took something decent to break us down.  Now, we just concede comedy goals, none of which I would consider decent strikes, build ups, whatever.

Di Maria, Eriksen imo

I'm tired. Really tired of it.

Yet another game passes where we could have taken more than we end up doing.

Fine margins, luck, referees... all masks the fact that we're just not good enough. The frustration for me comes from the fact that we could be, just as we could have been when we had a chance to add more in January and just like we could be now even in spite of the fact that we've seen awful decisions up until tonight.

Wes Morgan - captain or not, I don't care. The guy should have been out of the team from Arsenal away which is the first time we could have played a three of Wasilewski (our best defender on form this year), Huth (our best defender) and Upson (our most experienced defender). Instead we have to watch him desperately sliding around and throwing himself into challenges or blocks in a desperate attempt to get the ball that is running ever further away from him. Both goals tonight his defending had a massive hand in.

David Nugent - he's just not good enough. Occassionally (Liverpool away, Everton away etc) he can show the standard required at this level. Unfortunately for both us and him, he can't do it consistently. How he didn't  score tonight I don't know and it's the same old story from when he couldn't score against Crystal Palace.

Mark Schwarzer - did the most I've seen him do for us tonight but still reacted with the speed and grace of a 70 year-old who had just had his zimmer frame whipped away from him. Distribution is suspect and he reminds me of Kirkland when he came on loan - used to be good but just too crippled to be of use now. Yes you can point to the couple of shot stops he made tonight, I'm not doubting that, but all round he's not good enough and to point to those saves is to point to Nugent's goal at Everton (a flash of what we require but not replicated frequently enough).

Leonardo Ulloa - give him a chance and he'll stick it away. Problem is that we don't create many and his work rate, touch and movement in the build up is, again, not Premier League standard.

What did I expect from tonight? I expected nothing and that's what we got.

The problem is what could have been and when we need points badly that is a massive problem. This is not about expecting us to win or draw at Man City, it's about seeing the position we get ourselves in and how we then see the game out. That's where we're coming up short.

I want to be able to write this off as 'a bonus game' and to say that the ones from here on in are the important ones and that we still have a chance but I think we all know that through having players not good enough and through Pearson making some poor decisions it's irrelevant. We're going down.

Guest MattP

We must be the unluckiest team to ever play in this division. It's hard to watch.

Extremely disciplined performance and away at Man City you can't knock that.

Please for god sake get Schulpp out now. It's beyond a joke how many stupid things one man does in 90 mins.

I agree. But I also believe he's the best option to take us back up and that he can develop the required skills to keep us in the Premier League in the future. It does sometimes take time for people to improve, just as it took him time to get it right initially in the Championship. It's wrong to just write him off as a clown because he isn't yet ready for the Premier League, and I'm not saying stick with him forever, but he's got a great record in the Championship and if he can take us back up then he deserves the chance to learn from the mistakes he made first time around.

Great post Mark - my thoughts entirely. He's not covered himself in glory this season and he may well have underestimated the league and overestimated his team but I think he's a bright guy who'll learn from it. As you say, people had doubts about his ability to get us out of the champ but he cracked it.

Having said all that, I really think he's a dead man walking anyway.

Is the quality in this division actually that good?

I can't remember a single goal scored against us that I'd say was a class effort.

I think the division was much stronger under MON than it is now. It nearly always took something decent to break us down. Now, we just concede comedy goals, none of which I would consider decent strikes, build ups, whatever.

Yes it is...

It's a tough division. Teams grind out results. They wear you down. It's not full of sensational victories but it's the endless having to play at your best thing that usually results in more losses than wins.

So many people underestimated the step up, this season. Compared to the Championship (where you can have an off day and still win), the Premiership is ruthless.

We must be the unluckiest team to ever play in this division. It's hard to watch.

Extremely disciplined performance and away at Man City you can't knock that.

Please for god sake get Schulpp out now. It's beyond a joke how many stupid things one man does in 90 mins.

Ah..the Matt P and 'we're unlucky' line...

Which conveniently skips over all of our many frailties at this level.

guys just to remind some people this is the post match thread for the game in which we lost to the Champions of England, we may have been poor we may have squandered chances but it's not the final nail in the coffin

No, no that was palace at home a few weeks ago.

Great post Mark - my thoughts entirely. He's not covered himself in glory this season and he may well have underestimated the league and overestimated his team but he think he's a bright guy who'll learn from it. As you say, people had doubts about his ability to get us out of the champ but he cracked it.

Having said all that, I really think he's a dead man walking anyway.

I've basically been emotionally preparing myself for his dismissal since his first summer back. No way am I letting it feel like it did when he moved to Hull again.

Yes it is...

It's a tough division. Teams grind out results. They wear you down. It's not full of sensational victories but it's the endless having to play at your best thing that usually results in more losses than wins.

So many people underestimated the step up, this season. Compared to the Championship (where you can have an off day and still win), the Premiership is ruthless.

Half our wins have been through fairly average performances. We've played better and looked more convincing in defeat at times. We've not been clinical enough and our poor displays have been truly terrible.

Other teams are more streetwise than us, we haven't done the ugly things to grind out results.

Just really don't get all the 'simply not good enough again' posts. Did you watch a different game to me? You do realise we were playing the REIGNING PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS AWAY FROM HOME? Or was it just me that noticed it? How on earth can you in all clear conscience say we weren't good enough tonight and it's indicative of how bad we've been over the entire season? That's a different matter entirely. Taking tonights 90 minutes as a stand alone game of Football where bottom of the league plays 2nd/Reigning champions, I'm sorry, it's not us optimists that still hope we can make a great escape that's deluded, it's you lot.

I've basically been emotionally preparing myself for his dismissal since his first summer back. No way am I letting it feel like it did when he moved to Hull again.

I've said it before Mark, your apparent love for a football manager verges on the slightly extreme. Try to do something else for a while, take up a hobby or something..lol

In all sincerity, managers come and go..the club has always been here and hopefully always will be. Personally I think Pearson has been utter rubbish this season thus far.

Guest MattP

Ah..the Matt P and 'we're unlucky' line...

Which conveniently skips over all of our many frailties at this level.

We were outplayed mate, no doubt about that. We are bloody unlucky though.

Two pens and the woodwork hit. It seems to happen like this every time we play well against a decent side.

I've said it before Mark, your apparent love for a football manager verges on the slightly extreme. Try to do something else for a while, take up a hobby or something..lol

In all sincerity, managers come and go..the club has always been here and hopefully always will be. Personally I think Pearson has been utter rubbish this season thus far.

Love this 'thus far' always the optimist.

Guest MattP

Just really don't get all the 'simply not good enough again' posts. Did you watch a different game to me? You do realise we were playing the REIGNING PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS AWAY FROM HOME? Or was it just me that noticed it? How on earth can you in all clear conscience say we weren't good enough tonight and it's indicative of how bad we've been over the entire season? That's a different matter entirely. Taking tonights 90 minutes as a stand alone game of Football where bottom of the league plays 2nd/Reigning champions, I'm sorry, it's not us optimists that still hope we can make a great escape that's deluded, it's you lot.

A very good post

every first post match thread post should mandatorily include the cost of each squad to assemble. just to put a bit of perspective on the subsequent nonsense posts.

Manchester City - £368 million

Leicester City - £52 million

they're 7 times better than us!

A question for all the 'what did you expect against Man City?' and 'did you really think we'd beat the Champions of England' lot....

If you watched that game, not knowing which the team in light blue were and which the team in red were, if you knew nothing about the 22 men on the pitch (who they were, where they came from, who they used to play for), and then you had to say what the result could or should have been, do you think you would say that the sky blue team definitely deserved to win?

Because I don't think you would. I think you'd see that the red team had kept it tight and defended well until half time when they should have gone in at 0-0. I think you'd see the Nugent miss and think that the red team should have been level at that point. And I think that you'd see that the red team put some pressure on and could have had a little more than they did when they were trailing by a goal.

I think you'd come away saying that whilst they might not have 100% deserved a draw, the red team could have got one.

And there lies the problem for us: not taking what we could take from games and sometimes even not taking what we should take from games.

In that sense, tonight is massively frustrating and another opportunity squandered. Your argument only holds weight if we had got battered. Then you could ask "what did you expect?"

I've said it before Mark, your apparent love for a football manager verges on the slightly extreme. Try to do something else for a while, take up a hobby or something.. lol

Oh just go away. I don't see the point in following football without making emotional attatchements to certain players and managers who appeal to you for whatever reason. I genuinley don't see how anyone can really love it as a sport if they're quite happy to just go through thinking 'well managers/players will come and go so may as well not give two shits about them', where's the satisfaction in that. I'm emotionally attatched to Pearson because he's the most successful manager in the time I've been watching Leicester. Intellectually (though I'll concede it's difficult to seperate the two - but I think I can to some extent) I think he's the best option for us next season without a shadow of a doubt.

Now you might not agree, and frankly I don't care if you don't, but I will always be very fond of players and managers I like. If you don't like that then for the love of God block me because I'm not going to change the way I post to appease you.

But when you lose all the so called winnable games these games matter more.

We didn't play that badly tonight and could have had a couple of pens but I'm not about to start patting them on the back becuase they didn't get rinsed 6-0.

18 points from 27 games.

Archived