Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Ranieri - Shocking perfomance

Few observations. Why wass Mahrez sacrificed at half time when it was clear there would be an attacking formation present for the second 45. Why is Kante a ball winning centre mid being deployed as a wide player in this formation? With Schlupp continually outpacing their right side in the sec half, why not push him forward and bring on the highly experienced Fuchs? Biggest crime with citys legs tiring in the middle surely the introduction of Inler would have brought a fresh impetus in there? Things will get interesting soon with the likes of Leo and Krama not getting a decent sniff. Whilst not keen on singling out players negatively i thought De Laet was very poor. Seems likely to be replaced by Nagatomo, need better awareness at this level both positionally and with ball. Ranieri should take responsibility for yesterday just hope he sees what others have.

It's not about the draw. It's about the melts that can't get over Pearson.

You, Donut and Frank to be are the only fvcking people bringing up his name in this thread. Its nothing to do with Pearson. Yet once again you three with that anti-Pearson agenda are trying to de-rail another thread.

4-5-1 is turning into the scape goat for a poor team performance. 

In their last game, Bournemouth scored four goals against a half-decent Premier League team. If I was Ranieri, my first aim would be to ensure that doesn't happen to us. Sorry if that comes across as "negative". We have conceded far too many goals this season. Attractive attacking football may look good but we can't always rely on scoring more than the opposition. 

Also, it could be argued that the 4-5-1 formation was  forced upon the team through Bournemouth's superior play in the first half. Full-backs pushing up forced Albrighton and Mahrez backwards. As the in-form home team, I think Bournemouth would be expected to dictate that. 

King and Drinkwater have both looked promising so far this season but Kante has looked just as good. When you want to contain the opposition, it seems almost obvious to play all three, especially given Kante's tackling attributes. 

Much has been said about starting Vardy up front on his own but, once again, credit should be given to Bournemouth's tactics. In a perfect world, that formation would have allowed Andy King (the number 10) to get forward, or maybe even Drinkwater or/and Kante. We've also created most our chances through Albrighton and Mahrez. Maybe they were meant to provide Vardy with the support. To be honest, my biggest disappointment lies with the players for being unable to adapt.

Either way, Bournemouth's tactical set-up in the first half completely nullified the Leicester selection. For all we know, Ranieri wanted to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-3. Bournemouth were superior and fortunately, Ranieri realised this and made the necessary changes. 

No one is turning on him, willing to give him a chance but not if we begin to play boring, non attacking football.

We had finally learnt to play the type of football in the premier league that we did in our promotion season, but it's all being torn apart.

Claudio said no change, yet he changed formation. He said he wanted to build on what we had, yet has dropped was from the squad completely. He's nullified our player of the seasons freedom to attack.

Wake up and smell the roses people. I'm not for Pearson or Ranieri, I just want my team to play the type of football the rest of the premier league feared and admired.

Stop being so bloody dramatic.

Take a look at our away games at the end of last season even on our good run. Burnley, Sunderland, first half against West Brom... All rubbish.

You credit Pearson for us winning 4-2 first game... Yet in the two games he was actually in charge against Sunderland we barely registered a shot on goal.

I wish people would leave Claudio alone, already people are starting to turn on him. Yet we're still unbeaten, fair enough he got things wrong yesterday, he tested new things out and whats wrong with that. At least he corrected them in the second half. 

What's with the comments "I wish Pearson was still here" I'm come on guys, he's gone let's accept that. 

Criticism = Turning on Him? Where did that conclusion come from? There were many times I wasn't pleased with Pearson's approach - and that of every other Leicester manager in recent years but that doesn't mean you wouldn't praise them for the things you do like. And it's the same with Ranieri.

Okay, there may be a few fans still so aggrieved about Pearson's departure they refuse to see good in any replacement but I don't think its general. Some just want us playing to the strengths we so admirably demonstrated before the summer upheaval and which made us such an exciting side to watch.         

No one is turning on him, willing to give him a chance but not if we begin to play boring, non attacking football.

We had finally learnt to play the type of football in the premier league that we did in our promotion season, but it's all being torn apart.

Claudio said no change, yet he changed formation. He said he wanted to build on what we had, yet has dropped was from the squad completely. He's nullified our player of the seasons freedom to attack.

Wake up and smell the roses people. I'm not for Pearson or Ranieri, I just want my team to play the type of football the rest of the premier league feared and admired.

You're being unrealistic if you expect us to rip teams apart every game. We didn't do that last season, not even during our winning run, and we won't do it this season. No team has ever managed to slaughter the whole premier league, and we're unlikely to be the first.

The only issue you can possibly have is with us starting with a slightly less attacking formation yesterday, and that was meant to soak up an inevitable early onslaught from a vibrant and confident Bournemouth. Who knows, maybe if we had have started 442 we would have gone it at half time 2-0 down instead of 1-0 down.

Admittedly we didn't play well with the ball in the first half, but that was down to poor individual performances more than the formation.

What the hell! We are Leicester City F f s. Not Real Madrid. Tipped by most experts and some people here after the appointment of Randy Hairy to go down this year. 5 Games in we are still in the cup traveled away and thrashed a side with our reserves. And 4 games into a Premiership season in the hardest league in the world where any team can beat anyone on there day we are unbeaten an sitting very nicely in 3rd place!

Not every manager is going to get everything right even Fergie made mistakes,all he can do is take each game as it comes and try and play the best formation/side that he thinks.If it's going wrong then try and change thing's up. That's what he did yesterday and has done so far this season. I'll say he made some excellent changes in personnel and formation yesterday. The decision to bring in Kante was top drawer and the formation change second half was also spot on. OK you can argue he got the starting formation wrong but he recognized it and corrected it and got a reward second half. 

The attack on RDL here is embarrassing Gradel would have given most Full-Backs the run around yesterday and he was doubled up on most of the game.OK he's not the best in the world but come on he's certainly not the worst. Always one player has to be the scapegoat in a side it seems(Even when you are riding high in the table)and Richie it seems is going to get the brunt of it this season.He's still a young man learning his trade in the best league in the world,Ad really don't understand the obsession to bring in a right-back with RDL and Benny backed up by Moore i think we have more than enough in that position.position. Ok its maybe not our best position on the field but i think we are more than OK there. If he was that bad he would not have been picked for the first 4 games. I certainly trust the manager's judgement over a load of teenage Managers on FIFA and FM. 

Personally i think he's made many more right choice's than wrong...That's why we are sitting where we are 3RD in the table!.

Get off your high horse Leicester Fans.This is an amazing time to be a Leicester City Fan.I remember the Hamilton and Pleat days...Now that was a time to moan! We are third in the top flight...Exciting signing being made and more cash to burn..Sit back...relax...and enjoy this time while it's here. Enjoy the fact we have a quality Manager here leading us....You never know when there's a Pleat...Taylor...Or Holloway just round the corner.

Well said sir....

What gets me about all this moaning. Most people on here think we will finish anywhere between 17th - unrealistically 10th you don't finish in those places wining all your games. Ive been watching Leicester for many years and this is one of the most exciting teams  i have ever seen. Enjoy the ride folks.   

Few observations.

1. Why wass Mahrez sacrificed at half time when it was clear there would be an attacking formation present for the second 45. 

2. Why is Kante a ball winning centre mid being deployed as a wide player in this formation?

3. With Schlupp continually outpacing their right side in the sec half, why not push him forward and bring on the highly experienced Fuchs? 

1. Injured.

2. That he's a strong tackler doesn't just make him the ball winner, he looked better once he'd pushed out wide and with the engine on him it stretched their defence well

3. Fair question, although once we'd moved 4-4-2 and taken De Laet (two subs that needed to happen), there's very little manoeuvrability there. Would have been perhaps a better move than throwing Dodoo in the deep-end, but he earned his cameo with the performance Tuesday.

What a loaded title for a thread!  It wasn't shocking. 1st half experimental for us - didn't work.  He changed it at half time and we dominated the game for last 30 mins. Draw was about right result.

Shlupp m-o-m. Kante, Vardy brilliant. Morgan Huth very good. Mahrez - injured - he will get a lot of body checks like that in first 5 mins. King- OK. Drinkwater - patchy. Schmichael - didn't have much to do - maybe could have anticipated the scissor kick. De Laet - not good - really has to stop ball  watching and get his positioning right. Dodoo - too early for him. Benalouane - unlucky, it wasn't a foul. Albrighton - OK.

Unbeaten in August - can't be bad.

Personally, I was in the camp of replacing Pearson around Christmas time last year. I've admitted this on numerous occasions. There was a reason. That reason was the fact that we were bottom of the league. We looked disjointed. The midfield was not covering the defence, the defence was shocking and the strikers couldn't hit a barn door. The final straw, for me, was Villa in the cup..a game I now try to forget.

So I weighed things up. Given everything, I made the decision that I thought Pearson wasn't working. It was about the context at the time.

THEN, I held my hands up once more when we dramatically made the great escape, stating that the signing of Huth, combined with the formation change, had worked. I hadn't expected it to, but it did.

The current context the club finds itself in is completely different. Ranieri has had to take over from Pearson's legacy, with pretty much Pearson's squad. He's had little time to work out what his best formation is, who is best players are, who plays well with whom etc.

This must have been very difficult yet, far from floundering (don't forget, many on here had us down as relegated before the season even began), we actually remain unbeaten.

Given this context then, to read what I read on the match thread yesterday surprised even myself. I was expecting something if we went a goal down but nor quite that.

We have no God given right to beat anyone. We are still work in progress. Ranieri will make errors. We will lose football matches AND some of the lads will have off - days.

The mark of a football team that is 'together' is to do exactly what we did yesterday (I'd posted at half time to not give in as we can score goals). It's to keep going in the belief that something can be taken from a game even though we aren't 'right' on a given day. That we equalised yesterday and then could have won the game demonstrated a side with this belief. That's important. Roll on the Villa.

Personally, I was in the camp of replacing Pearson around Christmas time last year. I've admitted this on numerous occasions. There was a reason. That reason was the fact that we were bottom of the league. We looked disjointed. The midfield was not covering the defence, the defence was shocking and the strikers couldn't hit a barn door. The final straw, for me, was Villa in the cup..a game I now try to forget.

So I weighed things up. Given everything, I made the decision that I thought Pearson wasn't working. It was about the context at the time.

THEN, I held my hands up once more when we dramatically made the great escape, stating that the signing of Huth, combined with the formation change, had worked. I hadn't expected it to, but it did.

The current context the club finds itself in is completely different. Ranieri has had to take over from Pearson's legacy, with pretty much Pearson's squad. He's had little time to work out what his best formation is, who is best players are, who plays well with whom etc.

This must have been very difficult yet, far from floundering (don't forget, many on here had us down as relegated before the season even began), we actually remain unbeaten.

Given this context then, to read what I read on the match thread yesterday surprised even myself. I was expecting something if we went a goal down but nor quite that.

We have no God given right to beat anyone. We are still work in progress. Ranieri will make errors. We will lose football matches AND some of the lads will have off - days.

The mark of a football team that is 'together' is to do exactly what we did yesterday (I'd posted at half time to not give in as we can score goals). It's to keep going in the belief that something can be taken from a game even though we aren't 'right' on a given day. That we equalised yesterday and then could have won the game demonstrated a side with this belief. That's important. Roll on the Villa.

I try to avoid match day threads because I get myself all worked up and dramatic. I wouldn't want to judge other posters by what they come out with during the game either, to be honest.

That said, I see nothing wrong with people being critical, win, lose or draw. It was a poor performance and, like poor performances under Pearson or any other manager, it asked all sorts of questions of the boss's approach to the game: The 4-5-1 that he should have discounted based on pre-season, or a look at last season's videos, or a chat with Shaky. The rush to blood Dodoo (personally I'd give Ranieri a lot of credit for this, but there you go). The dropping of Wes, or Kramaric, or Ulloa. The signing and insistence on playing Benalouane who, I have to concur, has somehow managed to look awful by playing only shreds of games. Playing De Laet, Drinkwater, both of whom cost us dear last year in finding out that they were nowhere near good enough.

And, of course, as Leicester fans we should know a lot better than to think that the first games of a new manager's reign are necessary the fruits of his hard work, as opposed to the squad put together by someone who went before. We remember O'Neill's awful start in 95-96, how Pearson's stuttering return in 2011 contrasted with Sven's excellent start (with Pearson's squad) a year earlier, and of course the surge to the top of the table under Taylor in 2000, which no right thinking person would credit anyone other than O'Neill himself for.

But that's kind of the point, isn't it? We can criticise with or without the benefit of hindsight, we can ask questions and speculate, but taking a game or two or five and opening them up into a wider verdict on Ranieri's reign - positive, negative, right or not - makes little sense. And, I mean, it was a good point, wasn't it?

I try to avoid match day threads because I get myself all worked up and dramatic. I wouldn't want to judge other posters by what they come out with during the game either, to be honest.

That said, I see nothing wrong with people being critical, win, lose or draw. It was a poor performance and, like poor performances under Pearson or any other manager, it asked all sorts of questions of the boss's approach to the game: The 4-5-1 that he should have discounted based on pre-season, or a look at last season's videos, or a chat with Shaky. The rush to blood Dodoo (personally I'd give Ranieri a lot of credit for this, but there you go). The dropping of Wes, or Kramaric, or Ulloa. The signing and insistence on playing Benalouane who, I have to concur, has somehow managed to look awful by playing only shreds of games. Playing De Laet, Drinkwater, both of whom cost us dear last year in finding out that they were nowhere near good enough.

And, of course, as Leicester fans we should know a lot better than to think that the first games of a new manager's reign are necessary the fruits of his hard work, as opposed to the squad put together by someone who went before. We remember O'Neill's awful start in 95-96, how Pearson's stuttering return in 2011 contrasted with Sven's excellent start (with Pearson's squad) a year earlier, and of course the surge to the top of the table under Taylor in 2000, which no right thinking person would credit anyone other than O'Neill himself for.

But that's kind of the point, isn't it? We can criticise with or without the benefit of hindsight, we can ask questions and speculate, but taking a game or two or five and opening them up into a wider verdict on Ranieri's reign - positive, negative, right or not - makes little sense. And, I mean, it was a good point, wasn't it?

No I don't think that is the point, personally.

I love analysis when it's based on some sort of reasoning. Babylon is possibly one of the best at this.

I tend to avoid posting too much in the match threads because it's all 'passion', if you like. There's instant jumping at defensive errors, missed chances, tactical decisions etc..without the 'hold on, give it a bit of time, let's see what happens' bit.

And I still think there are those who are silently sharpening their knives for Ranieri. To then weald them if we start losing. Why this is I have no idea. For all the good Pearson did, he himself (and his daft son) ruined it in the end. With a bit of off field savvy, there would have been no cause or call for any change. Ranieri is his own man. He's not Nigel Pearson.

Four games in, City lie third in the table.

Anyone upset with that? After all the doom and gloom threads when Sir Nige got sacked?

Come on and tell us...

It's very early days to draw any real conclusions,obviously happy with 8 points but let's just see where we are after 10 games.

No I don't think that is the point, personally.

I love analysis when it's based on some sort of reasoning. Babylon is possibly one of the best at this.

I tend to avoid posting too much in the match threads because it's all 'passion', if you like. There's instant jumping at defensive errors, missed chances, tactical decisions etc..without the 'hold on, give it a bit of time, let's see what happens' bit.

And I still think there are those who are silently sharpening their knives for Ranieri. To then weald them if we start losing. Why this is I have no idea. For all the good Pearson did, he himself (and his daft son) ruined it in the end. With a bit of off field savvy, there would have been no cause or call for any change. Ranieri is his own man. He's not Nigel Pearson.

You've sort of said you disagreed with me, and then agreed with me!

Like I said, it's too early to be giving a positive or a negative verdict on Ranieri; and that goes for anyone saying he's an upgrade on Pearson just as it goes for anyone 'sharpening their knives'.

And every manager is 'his own man'. I can't think of anyone who has represented a seamless transition from one regime to another, without any identifiable change in direction. I've certainly said nothing to suggest that Ranieri is any different to this. But we've all seen enough of the game to remember O'Neill - who was also his own man - suffering in his first 12 weeks on the back of a slump in form under McGhee and his subsequent defection, Taylor - who was by no means a Martin O'Neill - doing extraordinarily well on the back of the O'Neill era, Eriksson - who wasn't a Sousa or a Pearson - taking a side which had finished 5th a few months earlier and lifting it out of the drop zone, or Pearson - who, likewise, was no Sven - struggling when he returned in 2011.

Now we have Ranieri enjoying a good start. To imagine that his success is unrelated to our unprecedented success under Pearson at the end of last season, or that the problems he's facing are unrelated to ones which were apparent back then, would make no sense. Especially for Leicester fans who have seen one regime impact, positively and negatively, on the next again, again and again.

As for Pearson 'ruining' his own good work and needing to show more 'off field savvy', I can only assume you know something which nobody else does. Either way, it's irrelevant to the point I'm making (though not irrelevant to the thread, of course). As far as this point is concerned, you say people are 'sharpening knives' but you have 'no idea' why. If people really are sharpening knives for Ranieri (and I'm not sure the knives could be any sharper than they were for Pearson) then the fact that people don't know what you say you know - i.e. that it was Pearson who ruined his own good work - would probably be the reason, if people needed one. It would, obviously, be unfair on Ranieri. But if people stick to criticising and applauding Ranieri's decision-making, and avoid using it to conclude that he's either an upgrade or a downgrade until enough time has passed as to make that judgement, then surely that's fine.

Totally agree a shocking managerial performance. He fails to see that if we play 3-5-2 then we would be able to release schlupp further forward where he is more effective, let albrighton whip in the crosses from deep at right wing back and let mahrez roam behind the two strikers.

We would also be more solid at the back with 3 in there!

It makes sense but he is too stubborn to try it. Wish we still had Pearson.

A bit like when MON left and we were still riding on a wave, I have a terrible feeling we may nose dive, like we did under Peter Taylor

The bit about ranieri being stubborn and wanting pearson back. Either the most ironic post I have ever read or genuinely the funniest post ever

Four games in, City lie third in the table.

Anyone upset with that? After all the doom and gloom threads when Sir Nige got sacked?

Come on and tell us...

For the most part, Col, people seem to be talking about a disappointing performance. I'm sure some of them have a pro-Pearson agenda, or an anti-board or anti-Ranieri agenda, but for the most part they're sticking to comments on the game. Compared to how we all exploded with rage at Pearson's ineptitude at times last season, or in 2011-12, I'd say this was mild!

But the past should have taught us not to be so quick to dismiss those who spread 'doom and gloom' when Pearson left, purely because we got off to a great start to the season. Nor to think that our current good form is unrelated to the good form at the end of Pearson's tenure. As I said before, it makes sense to hold fire before saying that Ranieri has had either a positive or a negative impact. For a good deal longer than 4, 5, 10 or 15 games. The best thing to do now is focus on the performance, make your comments - good or bad - and hold judgement.

And as for those agendas, if people disliked Pearson after 5 and a half years of his undisputed success then it would be hysterical were they to declare their unflinching admiration for Ranieri after four matches. Similarly, for those who (rightly) admired Pearson, it would serve them well to remember his shaky return before laying into Ranieri during what appears to be a very good start.

Why does not rating a manager's performance (and it is odd based on one game and seems very reactionary) have to be linked to what another manager has done before?

Maybe the OP was disappointed in Ranieri because he's proved it can be better in his own tenure?

This thread has made me laugh. Didn't realise how over the top some of our fans can be and how deep some can look into every little thing. It was a point away from home against a team that for a newly promoted side, don't play bad football. There will be alot of teams going there this season and struggle to pick up points. Granted 1 up front was odd but he made the change and we got a deserved point. So forget it and move on.

This thread has made me laugh. Didn't realise how over the top some of our fans can be and how deep some can look into every little thing. It was a point away from home against a team that for a newly promoted side, don't play bad football. There will be alot of teams going there this season and struggle to pick up points. Granted 1 up front was odd but he made the change and we got a deserved point. So forget it and move on.

Bournemouth had momentum from promotion,an unbeaten home record blemished on the first day of the season to put right and the fillip of 4 goals at Upton Park,where we scored 2.

We took a point away from home,where pre -April last season we would have come away with none.

We set up first half as many away teams do,it was lack lustre.CR was forced to change at h-t through Mahrez's injury but probably would anyway.We were better in the last half hour and deserved the point. 8 from 4 is a good start.

If we are to progress beyond a club happy to avoid relegation, then we need some alternative formations,  I guess CR saw yesterday as an opportunity (maybe wrongly) for trying one out against a newly promoted club (we were one of those a year ago!).

At some stage, CR will have us play "his way" (that's what he's paid to do) and I guess that will mean bigger emphasis on holding the ball...something we just can't seem to do for love nor money.

I saw more balls passed from us to the crowd than to our players in the first half yesterday (on the few occasions we managed to win it).

There's a long way to go to meet the ambitions of the Owners and Supporters. Sadly, we can't stay loyal to the players the escaped relegation magnificently last season and progress. I don't think CR will leave it too long before the new signings are fully bloodied into the team, and some rotation will take place, we've still to get some lengthy match time out of Ulloa and Krameric.

I believe we're still exposed in the goal keeping department and Right Back. Many are calling for a left winger, but I think Schlupp's performance yesterday showed that it doesn't need to be a priority at this stage. Not sure how Benalouane will fit into the side, just hoping he progresses a lot further than what he's show us to date.

Unbelievable FT kneejerk reactions again! Ranieri is the manager, he decided to look at something different in the first half,it didn't work out so he changed it and we salvaged a point, whilst under performing. We remain unbeaten after 4 games with 8 points, yet some of the comments on here you would think we were rock bottom and pointless!

Archived