Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sdb

RDL

As asked SDB, can you actually NAME somebody better whose available, in our price bracket and who would like to come? NP and team have probably been doing this behind the scenes, as with all our players and are unable to do it at present. Given the first two teams we've played and their particular much better than average attacking left sides, I can't think of anyone myself and believe given time to adjust, RDL will be fine.

Anyone with positional sensibilities and who can defend that's who! I don't even dislike RDL but every other one of the 19 teams in our league has a more solid RB than us. I don't care if he's good on the overlap - his primary duty is to defend which he's struggling with and he's so static he's not pressing forward much anyway!! 

How is this even a discussion. We all had reservations at times last season, he had a mare last week (as proven in part by statistics in black & white) and he was in part to blame for both goals this week, as identified on GOS this morning. It's not a witch hunt, it's just an observation! I'm not slating any other player because they've shown enough to warrant praise. RDL just isn't looking quite ready - there's no shame in that, he's young and inexperienced at this level. 

This quote from sdb covers it all really. I still think he was unwell on Saturday as he was so static compared to his usual game. Not sure about the first goal but definitely the second as I already said not one but twice.

He left Albrighton to deal with Hazzard alone when it should have been the other way around. Have a look at the replay he stood static in the box when he should have got closer to the play to offer cover to Albrighton.  Then when Hazzard beat Albrighton he still didn't go to him as if frozen to the spot. allowing Hazzard time and space to improve his angle for the shot.

I wouldn't be rushing to change him, he does offer a lot going forward as demonstrated many times last year. He just needs to settle down and play his natural game instead of worrying about who he is up against. Which I think he's doing at the moment.

I also think Hammond could do a good job at right back if needed.

As asked SDB, can you actually NAME somebody better whose available, in our price bracket and who would like to come? NP and team have probably been doing this behind the scenes, as with all our players and are unable to do it at present. Given the first two teams we've played and their particular much better than average attacking left sides, I can't think of anyone myself and believe given time to adjust, RDL will be fine.

Yes I can, VOLPEAZZURRO. And the fact he's playing against good players doesn't mean poor performances are acceptable - as I've previously mentioned and you've clearly ignored. 

Possible options, Jenkinson - has he left Arsenal yet? He's be a step up. Lowton at Villa has definite ability and is now back up. NP would improve him too. Naughton would be great and most at Spurs don't rate him. Hibbert would be a safe option for a year - he can defend. Liam Rosenior, Flanagan on a SL loan - albeit ambitious, Geoff Cameron, or Rangel would be big improvements even if their clubs would be reluctant to sell.They all have Prem experience and would be safer defensive options when on the back foot (as we will be inevitably). Elsewhere, Sam Byram would be good and NP has obviously looked at him (luckily he realises RB is a weak area for us), Russell Martin would be an unspectacular but safe upgrade and these are just domestic players off the top of my head. With our scouting network we'll no doubt have plenty more options over the continent. 

Hopefully that addresses your concerns and you can now discuss the areas of RDL's game that I don't rate and attempt to change my mind via some sort of discussion. No doubt you'll instead pick on the 1 player listed that you don't rate/feel is realistic and focus on that instead :)

RDL isn't good enough defensively and there are improvements out there. Simple as.

RDL doesn't suddenly need replacing after 2 games in a harder league. He wasn't terrible in either game but perhaps needs to up his game especially against weaker opposition (but of course he wont be marking Hazard in every game this season)

What he possibly does need is genuine competition for a place (not CBs who can cover RB if needed) to keep him on his toes.

Competition for places is always good and brings out the best in your players

Maybe it was with this in mind that players like Fanni (albeit he didn't get offered a contract in the end) are being looked at

I hope when we stay up we primarily aim to recruit full-backs who are comfortable in possession and can collect the ball from Kasper, who in turn trusts them with it. It's the only thing that has annoyed me about our play in the last couple of years. We will be hoisted by our own petard a few times this season I reckon! The amount of balls that end up straight back down our throats is very frustrating.

205822_1.jpg

Yes I can, VOLPEAZZURRO. And the fact he's playing against good players doesn't mean poor performances are acceptable - as I've previously mentioned and you've clearly ignored.

Possible options, Jenkinson - has he left Arsenal yet? He's be a step up. Lowton at Villa has definite ability and is now back up. NP would improve him too. Naughton would be great and most at Spurs don't rate him. Hibbert would be a safe option for a year - he can defend. Liam Rosenior, Flanagan on a SL loan - albeit ambitious, Geoff Cameron, or Rangel would be big improvements even if their clubs would be reluctant to sell.They all have Prem experience and would be safer defensive options when on the back foot (as we will be inevitably). Elsewhere, Sam Byram would be good and NP has obviously looked at him (luckily he realises RB is a weak area for us), Russell Martin would be an unspectacular but safe upgrade and these are just domestic players off the top of my head. With our scouting network we'll no doubt have plenty more options over the continent.

Hopefully that addresses your concerns and you can now discuss the areas of RDL's game that I don't rate and attempt to change my mind via some sort of discussion. No doubt you'll instead pick on the 1 player listed that you don't rate/feel is realistic and focus on that instead :)

RDL isn't good enough defensively and there are improvements out there. Simple as.

Jenkinson is at West Ham, Rosenior and Naughton aren't any better than RDL, Hibbert - wtf? Byram was valued at £10 million, Martin and Lowton I don't know much about, Rangel would probably cost too much as he seems very settled there, Cameron is primarily a centreback and Flanagan on loan seems highly unlikely.

Trippier got dogs abuse from our fans after struggling against Hazard too. Crackers.

Most people are just frustrated that we were the better side in the first 45, had the best chance of the game around the 55th minute mark yet lost 2-0.

We weren't destroyed like you guys midweek so we all left frustrated knowing we deserved something.

There's a question mark over all of our players in the Premier League, so I see nothing wrong with people wondering about De Laet. After all, we've long asked questions over the defensive side to his game. And he was poor against Everton and, to be frank, not a great deal better at Chelsea (although, looking at that graphic, where is the great cross he swung in which was cleared for a corner?).

Of course these are very early days, but I'd prefer not to hear people taking the 'he's up against quality opposition' line as an excuse.

Why? Because it's the truth? I can't see why using the justified argument of having bad moments against some of this league's best left-wingers and attacking left-backs is an excuse. It's a pretty reasonable explanation. Bad moments happen. For all players.

This doesn't mean De Laet isn't up for the task in the Premier League - the development and adaptation takes its time.

Seems like other people need a scapegoat, the weakest link in comparison and they've apparently found it in him.

It's fine for fans to wonder about players, but I'd rather assess players' capabilities in a league most of them have never competed in after all games have been completed or after the first half the earliest.

I couldn't find the Everton stats and even 60% is horrendous (as well as being pretty close to 50% anyway!)! A playmaker wouldn't get away with that and we're talking about a defender here - someone who should be making calm, sensible and safe decisions. He's just not done that. As others have alluded to, he's always been defensively suspect. The problem is that in this league he's having to defend more than ever and it's leading to so many errors. Just because he's playing against good opposition doesn't make him excluded from criticism.

Do we wait until Oct/Nov to face facts, or do we address issues whilst we actually can?

How do you rate him so far this season anyway? Is 60% (if true) a good enough pass completion? Was his choice to stop marking Costa 3 seconds before he scored a good one? Was he right to stand off Hazard and give him time and space to score?? 

Not particularly, but we're not disucssing that, you said he's combined pass rate must be below 50%  when it clearly isn't, end of story. 

Why? Because it's the truth? I can't see why using the justified argument of having bad moments against some of this league's best left-wingers and attacking left-backs is an excuse. It's a pretty reasonable explanation. Bad moments happen. For all players.

This doesn't mean De Laet isn't up for the task in the Premier League - the development and adaptation takes its time.

Seems like other people need a scapegoat, the weakest link in comparison and they've apparently found it in him.

It's fine for fans to wonder about players, but I'd rather assess players' capabilities in a league most of them have never competed in after all games have been completed or after the first half the earliest.

Have to agree with this, De Laet improved last season and there's no reason why he can't do so again.

Some players will kick on straight away and others will take time to get used to the step up in class. It's too early to say he can't cut it against bottom half teams (the ones we need results against) because he's only played against Everton & Chelsea so far, who will both finish in the top 6.

Give him a chance I say.

Have to agree with this, De Laet improved last season and there's no reason why he can't do so again.

Some players will kick on straight away and others will take time to get used to the step up in class. It's too early to say he can't cut it against bottom half teams (the ones we need results against) because he's only played against Everton & Chelsea so far, who will both finish in the top 6.

Give him a chance I say.

:scarf: Ritchie Ritchie Ritchie

Yeah unfortunately Ritchie should have done better for both of Chelsea's goals.

For the first he just leaves Costa in order to go and cover on the line. But it's a bad decision - he should have stayed with Costa. He's no use on the line if no-one is marking Costa.

For the second, he's not tight enough behind  Albrighton. When Hazard beats Albrighton, De Laet should have reacted a lot quicker to close Hazard down. Hazard has about 3 or 4 touches before getting his shot away. To be fair to him on this one though, the main fault lies with Albrighton, who lunges in on Hazard and is beaten far too easily, and leaves poor De Laet exposed.

But... Ritchie is a quality player who just had a couple of bad moments - against Costa and Hazard - who both cost £32m each!

If anyone knows a full-back who can keep Edin Hazard quiet and wants to play for Leicester, don't keep it to yourself. 

Jenkinson is at West Ham, Rosenior and Naughton aren't any better than RDL, Hibbert - wtf? Byram was valued at £10 million, Martin and Lowton I don't know much about, Rangel would probably cost too much as he seems very settled there, Cameron is primarily a centreback and Flanagan on loan seems highly unlikely.

I think the above is fairly accurate commenting by Wookie in fairness re Jenkinson, Rosenoir  Naughton and Hibbert. Byram don't know enough to comment in fairness. Martin, not for me, poor imo last year. Rangel now 31 and signed a new contract in 2013 to 2016 so why would he move? Lowton dumped by Lambert re personal problems and attitude and one comment on him (of many on AV site) I think because he was the least bad in a woeful defence in his first season, people (myself included) assumed he wasn't therefore bad defensively. Also because he was young[ish] and came from League One, so it was seen as encouraging. However, he proved last season that he actually is a really poor defender, certainly not of the required standard for this level. Shame, as he is a good footballer.

All in all, to buy any of the above (just imo) would be knee jerk at moment and not necessarily an improvement. RDL has to be given time to find his feet like all of them, it is a big step up from Championship to facing people like Hazard etc, but they're not all that good and hopefully we can see the arguably better side to his game i.e. going forward. All of the bottom 12 ish teams will leak goals this year and even teams like Arsenal manage to lose  by 6 goals on occasions such is the quality of some strike forces in the Premiership. The teams that need to fear the most (again imo) are the one's who can't score. RDL with our midfield I believe will create many chances against the lower teams like last year. No offence SDB, we just differ, that's what these sites are about, either way, have a good season mate!

I think the above is fairly accurate commenting by Wookie in fairness re Jenkinson, Rosenoir  Naughton and Hibbert. Byram don't know enough to comment in fairness. Martin, not for me, poor imo last year. Rangel now 31 and signed a new contract in 2013 to 2016 so why would he move? Lowton dumped by Lambert re personal problems and attitude and one comment on him (of many on AV site) I think because he was the least bad in a woeful defence in his first season, people (myself included) assumed he wasn't therefore bad defensively. Also because he was young[ish] and came from League One, so it was seen as encouraging. However, he proved last season that he actually is a really poor defender, certainly not of the required standard for this level. Shame, as he is a good footballer.

All in all, to buy any of the above (just imo) would be knee jerk at moment and not necessarily an improvement. RDL has to be given time to find his feet like all of them, it is a big step up from Championship to facing people like Hazard etc, but they're not all that good and hopefully we can see the arguably better side to his game i.e. going forward. All of the bottom 12 ish teams will leak goals this year and even teams like Arsenal manage to lose  by 6 goals on occasions such is the quality of some strike forces in the Premiership. The teams that need to fear the most (again imo) are the one's who can't score. RDL with our midfield I believe will create many chances against the lower teams like last year. No offence SDB, we just differ, that's what these sites are about, either way, have a good season mate!

Fair comments mate! I'm amazed people would prefer RDL over Naughton, and the more I think about it i'd love Geoff Cameron, but as you say we're all on the same side and i'll be hoping and praying that RDL shuts me up over the season, starting Sunday!

I couldn't find the Everton stats and even 60% is horrendous (as well as being pretty close to 50% anyway!)! A playmaker wouldn't get away with that and we're talking about a defender here - someone who should be making calm, sensible and safe decisions. He's just not done that. As others have alluded to, he's always been defensively suspect. The problem is that in this league he's having to defend more than ever and it's leading to so many errors. Just because he's playing against good opposition doesn't make him excluded from criticism.

Do we wait until Oct/Nov to face facts, or do we address issues whilst we actually can?

How do you rate him so far this season anyway? Is 60% (if true) a good enough pass completion? Was his choice to stop marking Costa 3 seconds before he scored a good one? Was he right to stand off Hazard and give him time and space to score?? 

I'm going to stop this debate here since correcting you just leads to new goalposts.  For what it's worth, no I don't think he had a good game against Chelsea.  Nor am I going to throw my toys out of the pram when one of last year's best performers has a rocky first 2 matches of the season against top 6 opponents.

Be interesting to see if you can give him the credit he deserves should his form improve, which I suspect it will.

I'm going to stop this debate here since correcting you just leads to new goalposts.  For what it's worth, no I don't think he had a good game against Chelsea.  Nor am I going to throw my toys out of the pram when one of last year's best performers has a rocky first 2 matches of the season against top 6 opponents.

Be interesting to see if you can give him the credit he deserves should his form improve, which I suspect it will.

You're going to end this debate by not answering my questions. Brilliant. 

He wasn't one of our best performers last season, and passing to Hazard and Baines every other pass isn't acceptable because they're good, it's bloody terrible 'cause they're good. 

Anyway, agree to disagree. I think we've both made our feelings on the matter clear.  :thumbup:

The criticism for this guy is quite simply baffling..... he's had a slowish start in 2 very tough games and some people slating him!!!

Albrighton was at fault for the 2nd goal against Chelsea and harsh to blame him solely for the first.... what about Moore just sliding in, both him and Schlupp pants pulled down

Yeah unfortunately Ritchie should have done better for both of Chelsea's goals.

For the first he just leaves Costa in order to go and cover on the line. But it's a bad decision - he should have stayed with Costa. He's no use on the line if no-one is marking Costa.

For the second, he's not tight enough behind  Albrighton. When Hazard beats Albrighton, De Laet should have reacted a lot quicker to close Hazard down. Hazard has about 3 or 4 touches before getting his shot away. To be fair to him on this one though, the main fault lies with Albrighton, who lunges in on Hazard and is beaten far too easily, and leaves poor De Laet exposed.

But... Ritchie is a quality player who just had a couple of bad moments - against Costa and Hazard - who both cost £32m each!

If anyone knows a full-back who can keep Edin Hazard quiet and wants to play for Leicester, don't keep it to yourself. 

Disagree with this actually.

For the first goal, Schlupp just lets ivanovic stroll behind him and doesn't get anywhere near him. Also, a right back should never be marking a striker, RDL had to focus on hazard.

For the second goal, Albrighton should do much better initially. RDL and Hazard had been on for the whole game, whereas albrighton had only just got on, and unfortunately he dived into the tackle, leaving RDL flat footed, whilst also tired.

His past 2 games have been a bit of a shock to me because I had him down as one of the players to most easily make the step up.

I take the point that its two top 6 teams but Moore Morgan and Konch have performed extremely well by basically showing the fundemental strengths of their game.

I think he will adapt and if we do go on for a right back I think it will only be for the depth. I can't see any reason why he wont eventually become a premier league right back but its certainly been a shock how much he looks out of place so far

Disagree with this actually.

For the first goal, Schlupp just lets ivanovic stroll behind him and doesn't get anywhere near him. Also, a right back should never be marking a striker, RDL had to focus on hazard.

For the second goal, Albrighton should do much better initially. RDL and Hazard had been on for the whole game, whereas albrighton had only just got on, and unfortunately he dived into the tackle, leaving RDL flat footed, whilst also tired.

Most goals involve more than one player making a mistake. So yeah, you're right, Schlupp is beat too easily. RDL is covering for Moore/Morgan - one of whom should be picking up Costa... But once RDL has picked up Costa he has to stick to him.

The second goal Albrighton's challenge is lame, but RDL is still slow to react.

So that's half the team at fault in one way or another for the 2 goals. Trouble for Ritchie is that his name crops up in the 'guilty' list for both goals.

Archived