Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sdb

RDL

Steve Clarke also just criticised him for the 2nd goal and watching back, he was initially tracking Costa for the first goal too, only to leave him as the ball enters the box. He had a bad game, it's not a crime. I just don't see how people can't see that.

Unfortunate for him and other players, it's a fine line, you will get caught out at this level, he needs to up his game, he is a confidence player, and when players are not confident they tend not to commit and give space away

Totally agree with you sdb.But as I have found out before on this forum your not allowed to have an opinion or criticise unless it's agreeing with most on here. His marking has always been questionable. Before the season started in the pub with city fan's that that have been watching them longer than the 40 yrs I have agree this is an area that needs strengthening because of that weakness.

There's a question mark over all of our players in the Premier League, so I see nothing wrong with people wondering about De Laet. After all, we've long asked questions over the defensive side to his game. And he was poor against Everton and, to be frank, not a great deal better at Chelsea (although, looking at that graphic, where is the great cross he swung in which was cleared for a corner?).

Of course these are very early days, but I'd prefer not to hear people taking the 'he's up against quality opposition' line as an excuse.

Manwell it kills me to do this but i've just found out that you're wrong, and that you lied to me - nasty man!!

*needless bullshit*

I make that a pass rate of 35-40%

Really? Because I read you referring to both matches in your op claiming his pass completion is below 50%, but then you go on to use only one match to back that up.

Using the same website I get a total of 10/23(Chelsea) + 26/37(Everton) = 36/60 = 60% "pass completion this season".  Go on, just admit you're jumping to conclusions which have turned out to be wrong.

Really? Because I read you referring to both matches in your op claiming his pass completion is below 50%, but then you go on to use only one match to back that up.

Using the same website I get a total of 10/23(Chelsea) + 26/37(Everton) = 36/60 = 60% "pass completion this season".  Go on, just admit you're jumping to conclusions which have turned out to be wrong.

I couldn't find the Everton stats and even 60% is horrendous (as well as being pretty close to 50% anyway!)! A playmaker wouldn't get away with that and we're talking about a defender here - someone who should be making calm, sensible and safe decisions. He's just not done that. As others have alluded to, he's always been defensively suspect. The problem is that in this league he's having to defend more than ever and it's leading to so many errors. Just because he's playing against good opposition doesn't make him excluded from criticism.

Do we wait until Oct/Nov to face facts, or do we address issues whilst we actually can?

How do you rate him so far this season anyway? Is 60% (if true) a good enough pass completion? Was his choice to stop marking Costa 3 seconds before he scored a good one? Was he right to stand off Hazard and give him time and space to score?? 

Watching us on SS1. He was absolutely dreadful in that first half.

Unfortunate for him and other players, it's a fine line, you will get caught out at this level, he needs to up his game, he is a confidence player, and when players are not confident they tend not to commit and give space away

Totally agree with you sdb.But as I have found out before on this forum your not allowed to have an opinion or criticise unless it's agreeing with most on here. His marking has always been questionable. Before the season started in the pub with city fan's that that have been watching them longer than the 40 yrs I have agree this is an area that needs strengthening because of that weakness.

He enjoys a good "smash it and hope' pass

Nice to see people go against the grain rather than jump on a bandwagon - rightly or wrongly, and regardless of the topic or debate. I want our players to succeed as much as the next man, but I don't see why pointing out weaknesses in our squad should be met with such blind outrage!

I think you have to accept that we're not going to have the best fullbacks or any other position in this league. There will be times when our players are out classed by the opposition. we're unlikely to get much better in our position.

Personally I didn't think he was terrible yesterday.

Not seen it myself personally, I think as the season goes on he will be ok.

My only comment is I'd like to see him overlap the winger more when we go forward.

Agreed. We looked dangerous when he began to overlap Mahrez and we created some decent openings that way.

RDL is deservedly our Rightback...simples.

We are about 30k worth of fans, according to posts since Championship title, that is enough who have opinions that we should have a collective dropping of every single player.Plus quite a few we should dive into the transfer market, no matter what and who. Oh by the way QPR have delved and dealed spent a tidy sum, they lost 4-0, and are bottom, and like Burnley not played

convincing football. With our 2nd string, we have played some decent stuff with some ridiculed players suprisingly, making some of our fans eat grass, by not playing average football but turning out top performances.

It would be a decent thing to do if these negative wombats kept quiet for a few weeks, and see what the position is after 5-8 games time. Oh at time of post we are even above Man utd.> stupid comment, I know <...but not any more stupid than

the ' drop him' posts.

Nice to see people go against the grain rather than jump on a bandwagon - rightly or wrongly, and regardless of the topic or debate. I want our players to succeed as much as the next man, but I don't see why pointing out weaknesses in our squad should be met with such blind outrage!

If the majority of the board disagree with you as seems to be the case, you should expect a reaction. Likewise if I posted an opinion that went against the grain, I would fully expect strong opposition to it and would accept it rather than almost take offence that so many are disagreeing with you.

In the case of De Laet, I don't think you should be surprised you're receiving such a negative response when he was one of our best players last year, has come up against two of the best attacks in the league, and already is being earmarked for replacement. Yes he hasn't played particularly well, that I agree with. However my mind just doesn't see replacing him as being rational at all and based on how he performed last season, he deserves a much longer run in the team to prove himself before such things are considered.

He's going to be a bit more exposed than the CBs anyway because a) he's a player that likes to get forward b) he's playing behind players like Knockaert who haven't got defensive instincts. We saw in the Everton game how Everton got freedom of the park at times on his side because he was left exposed. Unfortunately, the likes of Aspilecueta, Zabaleta, Baines etc don't just grow on trees or  - as proved by Cambiasso - sign for a club of our size on a whim.

Everyone's entitled to criticise but sometimes you need to balance the criticism with a perspective of who we are and where we're at. Even in the MON prem teams we had players like Jamie Lawrence and Graham Fenton. Not the best but the best that we could get at that time.

If the majority of the board disagree with you as seems to be the case, you should expect a reaction. Likewise if I posted an opinion that went against the grain, I would fully expect strong opposition to it and would accept it rather than almost take offence that so many are disagreeing with you.

In the case of De Laet, I don't think you should be surprised you're receiving such a negative response when he was one of our best players last year, has come up against two of the best attacks in the league, and already is being earmarked for replacement. Yes he hasn't played particularly well, that I agree with. However my mind just doesn't see replacing him as being rational at all and based on how he performed last season, he deserves a much longer run in the team to prove himself before such things are considered.

WHAT???

He's going to be a bit more exposed than the CBs anyway because a) he's a player that likes to get forward b) he's playing behind players like Knockaert who haven't got defensive instincts. We saw in the Everton game how Everton got freedom of the park at times on his side because he was left exposed. Unfortunately, the likes of Aspilecueta, Zabaleta, Baines etc don't just grow on trees or  - as proved by Cambiasso - sign for a club of our size on a whim.

Everyone's entitled to criticise but sometimes you need to balance the criticism with a perspective of who we are and where we're at. Even in the MON prem teams we had players like Jamie Lawrence and Graham Fenton. Not the best but the best that we could get at that time.

Do you think RDL is the best we can get though?

Who's better that we could get?

Anyone with positional sensibilities and who can defend that's who! I don't even dislike RDL but every other one of the 19 teams in our league has a more solid RB than us. I don't care if he's good on the overlap - his primary duty is to defend which he's struggling with and he's so static he's not pressing forward much anyway!! 

How is this even a discussion. We all had reservations at times last season, he had a mare last week (as proven in part by statistics in black & white) and he was in part to blame for both goals this week, as identified on GOS this morning. It's not a witch hunt, it's just an observation! I'm not slating any other player because they've shown enough to warrant praise. RDL just isn't looking quite ready - there's no shame in that, he's young and inexperienced at this level. 

Anyone with positional sensibilities and who can defend that's who! I don't even dislike RDL but every other one of the 19 teams in our league has a more solid RB than us. I don't care if he's good on the overlap - his primary duty is to defend which he's struggling with and he's so static he's not pressing forward much anyway!! 

How is this even a discussion. We all had reservations at times last season, he had a mare last week (as proven in part by statistics in black & white) and he was in part to blame for both goals this week, as identified on GOS this morning. It's not a witch hunt, it's just an observation! I'm not slating any other player because they've shown enough to warrant praise. RDL just isn't looking quite ready - there's no shame in that, he's young and inexperienced at this level.

Who's better that we could get?

You're not sure about him defensively fine but we're Leicester City, we aren't going to have one of the better right backs in the league.

The only thing about De Laet I've noticed is hit and hope, I'd rather him play it on the floor.

I agree with this.  The only thing that does concern me with RDL is his lack of passing skill.

Appears to be the only player that hasn't taken 'that step' in terms of upping his own game.

Obviously this season out full backs won't be attacking as much as last year, therefore we need someone who can actually defend. RDL isn't a good 'defender'.

Konchesky has out-played him fgs.

Archived