Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Sing if you're glad to be gay

I hate these events for the same reason i hate the 'Black music awards' it perpetuates the idea that we're different.  :yawn:  

This is my view too. There's no higher level of equality than not being different at all. Hopefully these things will die away eventually and we reach a situation where no-one thinks of it as a divide between people.

This is my view too. There's no higher level of equality than not being different at all. Hopefully these things will die away eventually and we reach a situation where no-one thinks of it as a divide between people.

I hate the concept of radio 1 extra, "love black music, love one extra." There'd be an uproar if there was a 'white' radio station - this isn't equality.

A very easy thing for someone straight (I'm assuming you are, apologies if not) to say - and I don't begrudge you that sentiment at all. Heck, I've only barely started to come out myself, so I've essentially had 'the straight experience' of a lack of discrimination for my whole life.  But I disagree.

I don't particularly like Pride festivals, nor am I into 'the scene', and the overly camp behaviours that some gay men put on only serves to perpetuate the negative stereotypes that drive a barrier between Heterosexuals and LGBTA people. HOWEVER I don't think the festivals themselves are to blame. They serve a clear purpose - to give a safe, friendly space for LGBTA people to be themselves without fear of the persecution/discrimination based on their sexuality/gender that they face in their lives - much the way that straight people have EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Equality is the ultimate goal, where everyone is free to live as they are without judgement, but until that day comes* - and it's picking up momentum - then these festivals will continue to have great importance for many people.

*I must add that I seriously doubt it will ever truly be the case however. You simply have to look at how racism still exists to know that exactly the same will happen with homophobia.

What does the 'A' stand for?

Debatable. 

I've always known it to be 'Asexual', but I've heard it used as 'All' before, as well as 'Ally' - although the latter can be contentious as I know of people who have a strong distaste for the term 'Ally' being included in LGBTA as it seems like 'straight people are shoehorning themselves in on our identity like it's a new fad' (not my words).

LGBTQA is also often used with the Q being 'Queer' - to represent people who dont feel they fall into any of the other labels set out for them (or would rather not have a label 'assigned' to them).

It gets silly though, and there are countless different suggestions as to what should/shouldnt be included in various different acronyms. There's apparently alternative suggestions to LGBT(QA etc) which aren't as definitive with regards to labels, but I have no idea what they are off the top of my head.

Maybe if white music had been repressed for so long there would be.

Isn't the point of equality letting bygones be bygones and not creating division?

Besides, most popular music is sung/rapped by blacks anyway.

Isn't the point of equality letting bygones be bygones and not creating division?

Besides, most popular music is sung/rapped by blacks anyway.

'Letting bygones be bygones' is far easier when you're not on the side being oppressed.

'Letting bygones be bygones' is far easier when you're not on the side being oppressed.

As a white heterosexual who finds homophobia and racism abhorrent, which side am I on? Am I on the side guilty of oppressing black people and homosexuals?

A very easy thing for someone straight (I'm assuming you are, apologies if not) to say - and I don't begrudge you that sentiment at all. Heck, I've only barely started to come out myself, so I've essentially had 'the straight experience' of a lack of discrimination for my whole life.  But I disagree.

I don't particularly like Pride festivals, nor am I into 'the scene', and the overly camp behaviours that some gay men put on only serves to perpetuate the negative stereotypes that drive a barrier between Heterosexuals and LGBTA people. HOWEVER I don't think the festivals themselves are to blame. They serve a clear purpose - to give a safe, friendly space for LGBTA people to be themselves without fear of the persecution/discrimination based on their sexuality/gender that they face in their lives - much the way that straight people have EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Equality is the ultimate goal, where everyone is free to live as they are without judgement, but until that day comes* - and it's picking up momentum - then these festivals will continue to have great importance for many people.

*I must add that I seriously doubt it will ever truly be the case however. You simply have to look at how racism still exists to know that exactly the same will happen with homophobia.

Clubs and other leisure outlets would serve that purpose quite adequately. To me festivals don't seem to do that. Their purpose appears to be to celebrate differences which I don't it's that helpful.

Archived