Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Favourite (British) Indian Dish.

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 18:11, Dr The Singh said:

Title should be British Indian dish, my bredrins in the continent of India do not know what a jalfrezi is

So what.. ( meant nicely)  All cuisines are there to evolve, to draw in new and old customers.

Plus I travelled and lived in India, there are many  of dishes that carry their name over to the UK.

Not forgetting, Well known readily   eaten known Dishes, take on different presentations and sometimes

Ingredients, within and up and down and within Indian regions.

Name changes also not unkown, that whats presented from a regional neighbour, is given a different name Elsewhere,

From truckstops, to thali only, through to top cuisine restaurants.

Though I love eating and cooking Indian cuisine I will never sell myself as any type of expert, I will c always remember

What an Indian chef, and 4 aunties and grandma from an ex-indian girlfriend told and taught me over the oven.

"We are all snobs, and hold On to our Secret recipes, that have no secrets anyway.

Denying the exsitence of varieties of 5 spice,7 spice or considered only English Indian spice concoctions.

Its laughable because we always premix our spices from the poor humble home, to richer family kitchens, including restaurants.

We tweek and use imagination through the same dishes, never fear the trusted and loved base ingredients,

but be also  arrogant in daring to making change or add suprises."

2 of the aunties worked also in their own Husbands restaurant, they shown me not only the use of the various chllies,

but also what other spices, herbs or ingredients can also give hot spice tributes to the dishes.The various use of oils

right through to coconut, creams, and yoghurts.They told me that their restaurants, keep their dishes names and

Ingredients to the same mix and portions, that they and family used back in their old homeland, but did on occasions

When asked by any customer , tone relevant dishes down, with yoghurt, cream  or coconut.

But they came from the south indian region where very hot vegetable dishes, were "doctored" even for local Indian customers.

At the beginning, someone mentioned prawns and jogan rosh, that I do find strange, because Rogan josh comes from the mountains, I discovered that fact by reading an old recipe book while in Gilgit, a n d talking to a very famous kndian  female Cook.

I only know it with Lamb, maybe goat.

So I say and see too many overdo the mysteries of all Asian cuisines, including stupid famous chefs, while making TV programs.

I think its worth mentioning, I had owned a expedition truck, that abled me over a very longtime, to travel the backwoods of India, Pakistan, Nepal...etc. That in itself taught me about local traditional dishes and the various presentations.Not forgettingvtheir great humour and honesty.

I've no idea what they're called but my mate's mum makes the best curries.  She uses the worst cuts of meat (neck of lamb), so you have to watch out for bones, but they are amazing.  Even paratha with a cup of tea is decent.

Went to Chettinad on London Road (near Loaded Dog) on a recommendation from a mate.  Southern Indian & probably not the best surroundings.  We had to move tables because the bloke on the table behind us had fallen asleep & stank of piss.

Had a Chettinad thali, that came with a soup starter, dosas & the main thali.  Tasted nothing like I had ever eaten before.  Each dish was full of different flavours & just the right side of spicy.  It made a nice change from the usual stuff served in a slightly different gravy in your average restaurant.

I live next door to a curry house that is always packed out, but I think it's crap.

9 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

So what.. ( meant nicely)  All cuisines are there to evolve, to draw in new and old customers.

Plus I travelled and lived in India, there are many  of dishes that carry their name over to the UK.

Not forgetting, Well known readily   eaten known Dishes, take on different presentations and sometimes

Ingredients, within and up and down and within Indian regions.

Name changes also not unkown, that whats presented from a regional neighbour, is given a different name Elsewhere,

From truckstops, to thali only, through to top cuisine restaurants.

Though I love eating and cooking Indian cuisine I will never sell myself as any type of expert, I will c always remember

What an Indian chef, and 4 aunties and grandma from an ex-indian girlfriend told and taught me over the oven.

"We are all snobs, and hold On to our Secret recipes, that have no secrets anyway.

Denying the exsitence of varieties of 5 spice,7 spice or considered only English Indian spice concoctions.

Its laughable because we always premix our spices from the poor humble home, to richer family kitchens, including restaurants.

We tweek and use imagination through the same dishes, never fear the trusted and loved base ingredients,

but be also  arrogant in daring to making change or add suprises."

2 of the aunties worked also in their own Husbands restaurant, they shown me not only the use of the various chllies,

but also what other spices, herbs or ingredients can also give hot spice tributes to the dishes.The various use of oils

right through to coconut, creams, and yoghurts.They told me that their restaurants, keep their dishes names and

Ingredients to the same mix and portions, that they and family used back in their old homeland, but did on occasions

When asked by any customer , tone relevant dishes down, with yoghurt, cream  or coconut.

But they came from the south indian region where very hot vegetable dishes, were "doctored" even for local Indian customers.

At the beginning, someone mentioned prawns and jogan rosh, that I do find strange, because Rogan josh comes from the mountains, I discovered that fact by reading an old recipe book while in Gilgit, a n d talking to a very famous kndian  female Cook.

I only know it with Lamb, maybe goat.

So I say and see too many overdo the mysteries of all Asian cuisines, including stupid famous chefs, while making TV programs.

I think its worth mentioning, I had owned a expedition truck, that abled me over a very longtime, to travel the backwoods of India, Pakistan, Nepal...etc. That in itself taught me about local traditional dishes and the various presentations.Not forgettingvtheir great humour and honesty.

I get your point....but you don't know what your talking about... (meant nicely), having been and lived in the continent of india for several months, and having regular visits of family from the pooonjab here in the UK, they would disagree, having alien food attributed to them and there culture can be considered insulting.  

However, I agree with evolution of cuisine hence the british indian concept, it's british evolution of the indian cuisine.   I love the evolutionary concept, I often argue with my poonjab counterparts that today's Bhangra is a British product, the Brits took a folk music form and turned it into popular culture.

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

I get your point....but you don't know what your talking about... (meant nicely), having been and lived in the continent of india for several months, and having regular visits of family from the pooonjab here in the UK, they would disagree, having alien food attributed to them and there culture can be considered insulting.  

However, I agree with evolution of cuisine hence the british indian concept, it's british evolution of the indian cuisine.   I love the evolutionary concept, I often argue with my poonjab counterparts that today's Bhangra is a British product, the Brits took a folk music form and turned it into popular culture.

They probably need to lighten the fook up then if that's the case.

13 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

I had good friend whose family owned a very good Indian restaurant, it's one of the reason I've had consistent growth of waistline over the years. Being a mate, when I went in, he refused to sell me the stuff that was on the usual menu. Instead, he brought out which ever dish his staff had chosen to cook for themselves that day. It was outstanding. Much better than your usual chicken tikka masala. I did tell him on occasions why not just roll this stuff out. "Proper" Indian food is far better than what you get in restaurants and I wish there were more places that did it. 

3 hours ago, Claridge said:

Mango and raita together? Yuck

Yes and if you're at Taraj Palace plenty of that coconut shit too

2 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

Shagorika special.

Am a little surprised nobody else has chosen this as one of their favourite dish.

That's Sven's favourite.

Ah thought you Ulrika

14 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

5 river punjab, All their dishes are foreign, even Some indian spices and herbs, were introduced with merchandise  exchanges.

Persians might also be insulted.

Food, like beer, and the stupid arguments over the both of them,Judgement belong in only in the customers hands, if they enjoy it..thats enough.

I loved all the regional dishes in India, I have eaten, in Various  homes and restaurants, I have loved the same named dished, even if

presentation and product has Differed, nomatter where I have been in the world,

unless it has really been poorly  cooked and prepared.Ditto for any cuisine.

I would say shame on any restaurant, who dont offer or cook the samed named dishes, that they present at home..!!!

Whats happened to "home made cooking" or  good ol'  Grandma  /motherS originals.

Begs the question why do Indians, Chinese, Italians or any nations people, go to their own original restaurants, do they enjoy

being conned or play pretend..

21 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

5 river punjab, All their dishes are foreign, even Some indian spices and herbs, were introduced with merchandise  exchanges.

Persians might also be insulted.

Food, like beer, and the stupid arguments over the both of them,Judgement belong in only in the customers hands, if they enjoy it..thats enough.

I loved all the regional dishes in India, I have eaten, in Various  homes and restaurants, I have loved the same named dished, even if

presentation and product has Differed, nomatter where I have been in the world,

unless it has really been poorly  cooked and prepared.Ditto for any cuisine.

I would say shame on any restaurant, who dont offer or cook the samed named dishes, that they present at home..!!!

Whats happened to "home made cooking" or  good ol'  Grandma  /motherS originals.

Begs the question why do Indians, Chinese, Italians or any nations people, go to their own original restaurants, do they enjoy

being conned or play pretend..

Well for me its the closest thing to homemade indian food and IMHO indian food is more tastier as a whole then any other ethnic cuisine. I am biased though seeing as im half indian as was spoiled by my grannies cooking lol.  if i am in a rush or dont feel like cooking id rather drop my cash at an indian restaurant than a McDonald's burger combo

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 22:07, Jattdogg said:

Does the wife make real dayih? Could kill some lamb. Didnt make my gobi yesterday so making it now

What is dayih and gobi (excuse my ignorance). Are there any authentic Indian recipes I can try? I like to make new dishes but not living in a city I find "proper" ingredients hard to come by, except for the usual powdered spices and regular herbs.

I do travel along Melton Road once a week so I can get stuff if I know where to go. :thumbup:

31 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I recently tried a bread based side with stuffed potatoes in it.  It tasted amazing as an alternative to naan, chapatis etc.  I can't recall the name of it though- do anyone know what I am talking about? 

Had something similar once on a train in Turkey. Was absolutely amazing.

Archived