Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The EU referendum - IN / OUT or Shake it all about.

We have people paid to design and present shoddily researched strategies that demonstrate government policy direction in a positive light.

Its not independent. 

There are areas I'd vote Tory and areas I'd vote Labour, Green and Lib Dem - I want to vote for individuals not ideological collectives.

Your faith in the system is actually refreshing and quite admirable but not something I could entertain the idea of being satisfied with.

Until someone comes up with a workable alternative it's the best system we have.

There's lots of workable alternatives though no party would implement them because they wouldn't take the risk of losing the next vote. It's the same company just a different set of accountants and advertising each time.

I have a communist friend I used to go to school with on Facebook, he claims Cuba is.

lol Really? Well...that's a point of view, I suppose. Horribly erroneous, but a point of view.

Being an expert in medicine won't help save a steel works. Being an expert in chemistry won't reduce unemployment.

The expert predictions we had five years ago that told us e expect triple dip recessions, mass unemployment and raising crime have all proven disastrously wrong.

Let's not pretend that the govt don't have experts guiding them in every aspect of policy anyway. As always you can pick your expert to tell you what you want to hear.

Oh yeah, I'm not doubting that economic predictions are about as good as sticking all your money on red or black down the local Grosvenor.

I'm referring to hard sciences, and quite frankly given the policy of multiple governments in the recent past (not only in the UK either) they're either not listening to the scientific community or they're listening to the few that are telling them what they want to hear.

I'm referring to hard sciences, and quite frankly given the policy of multiple governments in the recent past (not only in the UK either) they're either not listening to the scientific community or they're listening to the few that are telling them what they want to hear.

We all do that. The people who tell us that global warming is a certainty because scientists tell us are usually the same people who tell us fracking' s not safe despite scientists telling us that it is.

We're all hypocrites.

We all do that. The people who tell us that global warming is a certainty because scientists tell us are usually the same people who tell us fracking' s not safe despite scientists telling us that it is.

We're all hypocrites.

Fracking is decidedly not environmentally safe (at least the way it's being carried out now), and CO2 levels in the atmosphere are rising, with global effects unknown and to be found out. Those two things are verifiable, data-backed scientific fact and anyone who tries to make more of them than just what has been said there is pushing an agenda.

But in any case, the issue here is such things being turned into political footballs for use in ideological policy, with scant attention actually being given to the facts as presented by the scientific community.

Your point about only listening to what is wanted to hear is salient, but governments have a duty to be above that kind of hypocrisy as part of serving their constituents - particularly when it comes to the hard sciences, one of the very few areas where accurate, objective figures and facts can be derived to help with deciding policy.

Fracking is decidedly not environmentally safe (at least the way it's being carried out now), and CO2 levels in the atmosphere are rising, with global effects unknown and to be found out. Those two things are verifiable, data-backed scientific fact and anyone who tries to make more of them than just what has been said there is pushing an agenda.

But in any case, the issue here is such things being turned into political footballs for use in ideological policy, with scant attention actually being given to the facts as presented by the scientific community.

Your point about only listening to what is wanted to hear is salient, but governments have a duty to be above that kind of hypocrisy as part of serving their constituents - particularly when it comes to the hard sciences, one of the very few areas where accurate, objective figures and facts can be derived to help with deciding policy.

According to experts it is.

Climate change has been happening for centuries, how else did we come out of the ice-age, i know I'm only a simpleton but I haven't seen any conclusive evidence to prove mankind has had a significant impact on this.

For the record, I believe we should always look to produce clean energy where we can but it has to be efficient and practical.

According to experts it is.

From what it looks like and I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a consensus regarding fracking, so it appears both you and I are wrong. That'll teach me to stick my head above the parapet.

Not enough long term data regarding potential contamination etc, though there seems to be a general opinion (as voiced in an EPA report) that it is possible for it to be safe, but it would need to be very, very carefully regulated. But even that is in dispute.

Next time I'm going to stick to physics - the biggest argument they've got into recently is about whether or not Pluto is a planet or not and at least that one got solved quick.

Climate change has been happening for centuries, how else did we come out of the ice-age, i know I'm only a simpleton but I haven't seen any conclusive evidence to prove mankind has had a significant impact on this.

For the record, I believe we should always look to produce clean energy where we can but it has to be efficient and practical.

I agree, hence my careful use of the only fact in the matter - the fact that atmospheric CO2 levels are increasing at a rapid clip. What effect that will have and the degree of human influence on that rise is entirely open to speculation.

We can expect some kind of change, but sadly lacking a geographic-era detailed timeline of such changes in the past it's very difficult to tell what that change and the action to deal with it should be. The whole issue being used as a political football doesn't help either.

I read somewhere that we are still actually in an ice age, it's just in temporary remission. Apparently ice ages do that, and it could sweep back in at any time. We'd definitely want to be in the EU, if that happened. Even southern Spain would be seriously chilly.

I read somewhere that we are still actually in an ice age, it's just in temporary remission. Apparently ice ages do that, and it could sweep back in at any time. We'd definitely want to be in the EU, if that happened. Even southern Spain would be seriously chilly.

I look forward to the eating or heating debate resurfacing then :D

To bring this back to the EU for a moment... I caught the "Them and us" programme on the Beeb last night presented by Nick Robinson and it's well worth a watch if you fancy searching for it on the iPlayer.

One of the things it highlighted to me is why the Tory party are so split on Europe, because the parties beliefs in a Free Market economy match up well with the European idea, but the nationalistic part doesn't like giving up control to an outside body (if things aren't in their control that's a little too free market).

Add into the fact that Thatcher was all for the project at the start, only to get cold feet and then ended up losing the leadership of the country and her party because of Europe, it's no suprise to see Thatcherite style politicians lining up on the leave side and... well what do we call them? I'll be kind and say 'new wave' more centralist Tories on the remain side.

I'm half way throught tonight's QT, and Paddy ashdown had just be roasted by the audience. THAT, is a first. The audience renewed my faith in the democratic process of the Brexit campaign.

Anyone hear that audience member who's an economist, claiming that in the next 14 years if we leave, we'll save the current 'national debt' owed to the banking industry. Unbeliveable. Lets get the feck oot!!

I'm half way throught tonight's QT, and Paddy ashdown had just be roasted by the audience. THAT, is a first. The audience renewed my faith in the democratic process of the Brexit campaign.

Anyone hear that audience member who's an economist, claiming that in the next 14 years if we leave, we'll save the current 'national debt' owed to the banking industry. Unbeliveable. Lets get the feck oot!!

I think if those figures were likely to be correct we would have heard them by now, I'm slightly eurosceptic and I think he was being optimistic

Guest MattP

Ashdown really does have some front, he was as insistent as anyone we HAD to join the Euro yet he still display such arrogant snobbery against anyone who supports British independence.

Three quarters of a million pounds per year in EU subsidies raked-in by the Duke of Westminster (worth 7 billion), and similar amounts going to other 'landed gentry'.

I feel instinctively that I should vote to remain, but things like this make me want to vote to leave.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2016/apr/21/why-our-landed-gentry-are-so-desperate-to-stay-in-the-eu

An interesting article from the FT: https://next.ft.com/content/8b5907c4-0797-11e6-a70d-4e39ac32c284

It looks at the potential aftermath of a Brexit vote in more detail than most coverage does.- glancing at different economic sectors, negotiating issues etc.

Pro-Brexit people criticise the Remain camp for "fear tactics". While I agree that the Remain people are employing fear tactics, the Brexit camp need to offer a much better explanation of what they will do if they win a "Leave" vote. At the moment, their response doesn't seem to amount to much more than: "We'll be alright, the EU needs our trade at least as much as we need theirs, so they'll negotiate a favorable deal....we've no idea on what terms yet, maybe something like Norway or Switzerland or Canada, we're not really sure. We'll sort that out after the referendum. It'll all be OK, don't worry". 

Brexit need to come up with responses to some of the specific risks raised in this article. 

Archived